InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Shards of Our Memories": The Soap Opera ❯ Chapter 5: All My Children...Are Actors? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I want Inuyasha. Sadly, fanfics don't help as much as I hoped they would. ::tears::

A/N: Hey everyone! I feel as light as a feather right now, just having finished my last final of Junior year (and getting mostly A's this semester!!) I'll hopefully have a lot more free time for writing.

Thanks to all my reviewers for their beautiful comments. Enjoy this chapter, and please review!

CHAPTER 5: All My Children

Excerpt from the October 21st edition of `Soap Weekly':

"Episode three of `Shards of Our Memories' has just turned the tables on viewers. Our young, hot couple, Maya and Damien, were caught in a lie by Damien's wife, Jessie(Ayame Kogoro) . Their forbidden romance has been discovered. Damien, after being provoked into an argument with his wife, grew desperate in trying to shut her up. In an act of anger and passion, Damien stabbed his wife to death. Now he and Maya are on the run from the law, trying to cover up their tracks the best they can!"…………..

*****************

*****

****

What a jerk. What a complete and total jerk.

When Kagome had first laid eyes on Inuyasha Tanaka, she had hoped his personality might be as beautiful as his face. -Well that was a futile hope--, she thought bitterly.

" `What is this, some kind of sick joke?!'"

He had the nerve to say something like that to her face! It had made her heart sink down into her stomach, made her feel like a disgusting bug on the windshield, the way he had stared her down. Why not just tell her that she was an ugly actress with no talent? Why beat around the bush?

She sat in her dressing room this way, the next morning, replaying those words and that expression over and over in her mind. He hadn't even apologized to her- he had stormed off, and Hiten had apologized for him.

What a disgusting, arrogant pig.

She entertained the thought of him boiling in a pit of scathing oil. No, acid. That would be more painful.

Sigh.

If only every female worker of Kakera Studios saw what kind of an ass this Inuyasha was, instead of falling all over his feet. How could somebody that rude become so famous, anyway? Sure, he was drop-dead gorgeous. But that's where the good qualities ended….

Sango let herself into Kagome's dressing room, finding her friend glaring intently at her reflection in the mirror. Maybe this wasn't such a good time….

"….Kagome…? Are you okay?" she tapped her friend carefully on the shoulder, as if she was scared she might combust if she pushed any harder.

Kagome snapped out of her reverie, but didn't return Sango's worried smile. "…Yeah….I'm just fine, Sango…" It didn't sound very believable.

"So….I heard you met Inuyasha Tanaka yesterday…" She trailed off, waiting for Kagome to pick up the conversation.

"Yeah….."

"Er….so, you two didn't exactly hit it off, I gather?"

Kagome sighed, the sinking feeling returning. "I was really looking forward to meeting him, but, for some reason he was extremely rude to me. I didn't do anything to him- I've never MET him before this, and he looked at me as if….as if I was this….disgusting thing….."

Sango began brushing Kagome's hair out, responding in a cool, soothing voice. "Well, I'm sure there was some sort of reason for the way he acted….you're very pretty, Kagome, and I know you weren't rude to him. Maybe he was just in a bad mood. It happens to all of us!"

Kagome nodded. "Maybe so…."

"Anyway, I haven't been working on sets for long, but I know the rumors. He's been in seclusion for three years now- did you know that?"

"No I didn't…I barely even knew his name until a couple of months ago…"

"Well…" Sango's voice suddenly grew hushed…. "I don't know the truth of the matter, but there was some type of scandal that he was involved in that caused him to become a recluse...There were these rumors that he was involved with his co-star of Soul Sharing, but that she had cheated on him with another man….I guess Inuyasha wanted her back, but she wouldn't take him….And then…"

Kagome's ears perked up a little, fascinated in the tragic reason for his harsh attitude. "….Then what….?" She asked, quietly.

"She was killed. I can't remember how it was exactly- if it was foul play or an accident or something. All I know is that he hasn't been seen in public for a long time, and he hasn't let the press in on anything. So, it seems as if nobody knows the truth…"

"That's…..that's really sad…." Kagome sat in awe for a moment, thinking in silence. Who knew that there could have been a reason behind that arrogant demeanor…..Maybe he wasn't just a stereotypical self-centered actor after all….

"I say that today you try talking to him again. He's probably not all that bad. He deserves another chance…."

Kagome huffed pointedly. "What if I don't want to give him another chance?"

"Well, then, you'll be wondering about what he's really like for the rest of your life, won't you?" Sango smiled brightly.

Kagome groaned. "Sometimes you make far too much sense, Sango…"

"Thank you…" she giggled, turning back to Kagome's half-finished hairdo.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--Why in the world did I say that?-Inuyasha berated himself, remembering what he had said to the girl the day before. He hadn't seen her yet that day, but, already the guilt was biting at his insides.

The moment he had seen her smiling face turned up at him, old emotions and memories had decided to spring their way out of his mouth. He had seen those delicate features that reminded him so much of Kikyo, and his mind had chosen that moment to snap. Maybe being alone for so long had dulled the normal reservation and shyness he had around strangers.

The worst part about the situation was the way she had stood there, stunned and disbelieving, like he had just slapped her in the face. He hadn't been able to apologize for embarrassment, and had stormed off to find his dressing room. She was left with Hiten, looking completely horrified by his actions.

He squirmed angrily just thinking about it.

--What a great way to start off my first day back...-He growled in his mind. Maybe he wouldn't have to see that girl very often…and then he wouldn't have to apologize…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kagome admired herself in the mirror, satisfied with the way she looked. The designer clothes picked out for her shaped her body nicely, and Sango's work was beautiful as always.

She picked up the script that lay on the vanity, and flipped through today's scenes. A few serious and romantic scenes between her and Kouga…….Kagura would be introduced as a possible wedge in their relationship…Kanna was Kagura's evil sister. -Ah, soap opera plots are so interesting….-she thought to herself, eyeing the tense dialogue between herself and her leading man.

As she was surveying the script, she saw a name that made her stomach flip slightly. Inuyasha would have his first scene today….

Immediately immersing herself into the stage directions and words of the script, she read his scene. He had been cast as an old friend of Ayame's, who had witnessed her murder, and was now out for revenge.

Intent on the scene, she opened her dressing room door, and stepped out into the hall.

And walked straight into something warm and hard.

She looked up, startled. For a moment, she wished she had run into the opposite wall instead of this broad chest. She was staring straight up into the face of Inuyasha, who looked none to happy. She blushed as his golden eyes shone down upon her, and stepped back quickly, fidgeting with the script in her hand. What should she say to him, to make sure he didn't despise her?

She noticed that he also looked somewhat uncomfortable in the situation, as he stared back at her with reddened cheeks.

"So…er-"

"I-"

They both spoke at the same time, and then stubbornly averted their eyes from each other.

Kagome began again, trying to meet his eyes. "I……Inuyasha….I think we started out on the….wrong foot yesterday, so to speak….so….I'd like to apologize for anything I did…..or I was….er….wondering if you really meant what you said, or…." She trailed off when she saw how he was staring at her.

He snorted a little, though he was obviously a little flustered at their forced meeting. "You don't have to apologize, wench!" He almost shouted at her, throwing her an arrogant sneer.

Fighting his embarrassment, he turned away from her, and began walking in the direction of the set, leaving her standing in the middle of the narrow hallway.

Before he exited the hallway, though, he stopped and spoke, reluctantly.

"I….didn't really mean what I said…..yesterday…"

He bowed his head a little, and then shoved his way violently through the door that lead to the stage.

Kagome stared after him, a little relief washing into her veins.

He was a strange man…..but at least she knew that he didn't hate her……

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

About the same time that Kagome and Inuyasha were trying to overcome their differences, Miroku casually leaned over the desk of the receptionist at Kakera Studios, giving her a brilliant smile, his dark violet eyes twinkling with mischief.

"So…." He began, winking deftly at her, his voice dripping with syrupy charm. "…Do you know where we could find the set of `Shards of Our Memories'? We are very successful agents who must speak with our client immediately…"

The woman looked up from her computer, eyeing Miroku over the tops of her glasses with a dubious expression, not one bit affected by his flirtatious actions. She didn't believe his story in the slightest. After a few seconds of this, she turned silently back to her work, and continued typing with ease.

Miroku sighed audibly, and cleared his throat again to attempt a better approach.

Rin coughed loudly behind him, sighing her disapproval. Patiently, she pulled his elbows away from the desk. Looking up at him as if he were a small child that needed direction, she patted him on the shoulder.

"Miroku, sweetie- why don't I take care of this before you get yourself into trouble?"

Turning sweetly to the woman at the desk with an apologetic smile, she gently shoved Miroku back.

"Please forgive him….neither one of us are used to being inside a studio like this…" Miroku looked somewhat disgruntled. "But, we're close friends with Kagome Higurashi, and she said it would be fine if we visited her on the set today…Would it be all right if we entered the studio….?"

The woman grinned warmly at Rin. "Why sure, hon. Kagome let me know that you would be coming by today. She's a lovely girl isn't she?" Miroku looked positively miffed at the receptionist's changed attitude.

"She sure is…"

"Well, they'll be in through the third door on your right…filming hasn't begun yet, so you should hurry. Mr. Raiken hates interruptions."

Rin smiled back. "Thank you very much!"

The woman chuckled as she watched them leave. "You be careful now!" she called, looking pointedly at Miroku.

He shot back an unaffected boyish smile and a wave, before letting an exasperated Rin drag him through the door that led to the set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kagome stood near the edge of the set, silently watching everyone prepare for the next scene. Inuyasha's scene. Despite the previous misunderstanding between them, she was curious to see what kind of an actor he was.

At a glance up, she noticed that he was standing alone on the opposite side of the set, sullenly reviewing the script. She couldn't help but catch a sense of loneliness that lingered around his figure, as he read the words in front of him with his burning golden eyes. Finding a bit of courage deep down inside herself, she moved behind the set to go strike up a conversation with him.

He was so focused on his studying, he didn't look up. Or, if he had noticed her, he gave no sign. She allowed herself to bounce up in a friendly way, and she stood quietly next to him, waiting for him to speak first.

After a few moments during which she was positive that he was purposefully ignoring her, he found it impossible not to acknowledge her presence any longer.

His dark eyebrows were knitted down over his eyes and his mouth was twisted in frustration as he met her gaze. "What?! Do you want something? Or are you just standing there like an idiot for no reason?" he spoke harshly.

She struggled to let his tone wash over her, and smiled brightly. "I just wanted to wish you good luck on your first scene!" Inuyasha was in need of friendship, and she was determined to be the first to offer it.

He almost spit at her shining smile. "Well, I don't want your luck, thank you very much…." He shot back gruffly, though his voice was less edged this time.

She kept her cool, though she had a hard time doing so under his hateful attitude. "I didn't ask if you wanted it….I just wanted to let you know that you had it!" With that, she turned on her heel primly, and strutted back to her side of the sound stage.

Inuyasha looked after her, startled. -What a useless girl,-- he thought grumpily to himself. -Doesn't she know I'm not here to make friends?-

Kagome settled herself against a wall beside the living room set, huffing in rebuke. She watched carefully as Inuyasha stepped onto the stage, feeling a little annoyed at how he chose to ignore her even now, when she stood a scant few feet away.

--It must feel strange for him..-she considered,--.. to be on a set after such a long time…--

But, Inuyasha didn't look slightly affected by where he stood. He looked calm, if not a little bored, and Kagome wondered if he even felt a hint of the apprehension that she did before each scene. If he did feel it, there wasn't even a flicker in his expression.

Ayame had now joined the tall actor on the set, and it was slightly unsettling to see her covered in her gory makeup- fake blood and ripped skin across her torso, pale makeup making her cheeks look like cold granite. Settling herself carefully on the floor, she sprawled in an unnatural pose. It was almost uncanny how dead she really looked, Kagome noticed, in a kind of amused horror. Her jaw became slack as she closed her eyes, returning to the character of Damien's murdered wife.

The lights were being set low, in a dramatic flare that highlighted the motionless body. Kagome watched in fascination as Inuyasha's demeanor began to change.

Morphing his facial muscles in what seemed to be some kind of miraculous transformation, his features fell into a pliable mask that could be manipulated into fear, agony, anger or sadness. Kagome leaned forward a bit, curious about how he would handle the delicate scene.

As the lights on the set went down low, after they finally weaseling their way past the stubborn security guard at the door, Miroku and Rin made their way towards the set. They appeared just as Hiten took his place, and the camera began rolling. Just like Kagome, the two were immediately pulled into the scene by Inuyasha's incredible presence on the stage.

It was as if he sucked the attention and the emotion from every corner of the studio into his body, and threw it back out in his stance and in the shine of his expressive eyes.

As the scene commenced, the lights lowered and suddenly Inuyasha fell into his character. He entered the set in the guise of Jessie Court's close friend, and upon seeing the character's corpse sprawled on the rug, his face twisted into horror and disbelief. Kagome watched, breathless, as every emotion that Inuyasha portrayed felt genuine. He was on his knees, cradling Ayame's limp body in his arms, and an anguished howl broke from his lips. He hunched over the lifeless form and rocked back and forth gently, his whole body radiating sadness.

The studio was silent. All eyes were focused on Inuyasha's performance. And, in the quiet, Kagome heard sobbing. Inuyasha was crying, or at least doing a perfect acting job.

Some aspect of his faked misery tugged something inside her stomach.

Perhaps acting in this scene was close enough to the truth….? His old girlfriend….she had been killed, hadn't she? And, here he was, letting all that sadness out on stage after such a long time.

Kagome, unwittingly, felt small lump rise in her throat, as she sympathized. Was this real for him? Had this been the reason for his distant attitude?

Perfectly executing the lines of the script, Inuyasha vowed for revenge on the killer of his dear friend, and fire spread in his dark eyes. The power with which he spoke the words caused the entire room to hang onto the movements of his lips in a kind of awed stupor.

As Hiten cut the scene, the studio rang with hammering applause. As the lights were brought back up, Inuyasha stood up from his position on the ground. Kagome was surprised, seeing his face calm once again- it wasn't marred by sadness anymore, nor was there any sign of tears.

Perhaps it really was just acting.

He still a remained a mystery to Kagome.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A short time later, after unsuccessfully trying his luck with a couple of the female assistants on the set, Miroku found his client in her dressing room. Kagome was seated in front of her mirror, and was prepping for her next scene. She welcomed him with a bubbly greeting, and allowed him to cross and give her a large bear hug.

"That was quite a fantastic performance Inuyasha Tanaka put on out there, wasn't it?" Kagome nodded solemnly, still impressed by his skills. She turned around to face him.

"My, don't you look dashing today!" she commented, nodding at his sharp lavender collared shirt and dark slacks. "Have you ever considered taking up acting?" she teased.

He chuckled, surveying her dressing room with blatant appreciation. "No I have not, but I have my connections…."

"You didn't dress up just for little old me, did you?"

"Well, I had to represent my best client well…..and be allowed in without a fuss…by the way, your receptionist is kind of crabby…"

Kagome smirked, her brown eyes twinkling. "You tried to flirt with the receptionist?"

"I'll choose not to answer that question."

Dorkus Maximus, thy name is Miroku... "…Speaking of receptionists, where's Rin? Did you decide to ditch your keeper at the office and make her do meaningless busywork?" Kagome swiveled around to face the mirror again, adjusting the curls on her head.

Miroku grunted. "Nothing ever done in the office of Miroku Inoue is meaningless! But, if you must know, yes, I did bring her along. At the moment she's drooling over some man in high places." He rolled his eyes, playing with the golden ring in his earlobe.

Kagome laughed. "She saw Inuyasha? Kouga?"

"No….she's currently ogling over Sesshomaru Tanaka. She was with me when he walked by. She mumbled something about deities on studio sets, and ran off to make googly eyes at him…."

"….Jealous….?"

"Of the money, yes! Of the fact that his assistant looks like a toad, not quite. Women dig a man from humble beginnings, anyway! I happen to have many female admirers…"

Kagome didn't doubt that many girls had fallen under his spell, but he made it so simple to take a crack at his actions. "Yeah- many as in your mother and your grandmother."

"I resent that comment…."

As the two friends bickered, there came a soft knock at the door. Without even looking to see who was standing there, Kagome knew who it was. She grinned. "Come on in, Sango!"

The woman grinned back, though looked somewhat surprised to see a man sitting across from Kagome.

Kagome saw Miroku's eyes light up at Sango's curvy, athletic figure and cute face, and sighed.

Sango smiled shyly. She extended her hand to Miroku, and he shook it warmly. "I'm Sango Miteru, Kagome's hair and makeup artist."

He nodded, smiling back at her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Sango. I'm Miroku Inoue, Kagome's agent!"

"You remember the perverted one I was telling you about, right?" Kagome interjected, dryly.

"Ah, yes…."

Miroku looked mock-offended. His humorous indigo eyes were set off brightly against the color of his collared shirt.

Souten leaned her head into the room for a second, notifying Kagome that shooting would began within the next ten minutes. Sango lightly began touching up Kagome's hair.

"Well, I guess I must leave you two ladies be," Miroku sighed. "I have a certain girl I'm going to have to drag from the clutches of Sesshomaru Tanaka…."

Kagome and Sango both nodded to him as he left, then turned back to their work.

"…it was very nice to meet you, Sango!" he called. It was lucky for him that the girls didn't see him take a furtive and lingering glance at Sango's rear end as he left the room.

If they had he would have most definitely left with some kind of red imprint across his dashing face.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

…Look forward to "Chapter 6: General Hospital"….

…Just know that it's called "General Hospital" for a reason! ; )

please review!

-Sadia