InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "Shards of Our Memories": The Soap Opera ❯ Chapter 6: General Hospital ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inuyasha. I've tried all the abandoned dry wells in my county, and none of them lead to the feudal age in Japan….::sigh::

A/N: Finally! Sorry I took a little longer than usual with this chapter. I've gotten caught up in my newest fic, "My Priest Charming." But, it's here now, so have no fear. I hope you're in the mood for some nice InuKag romance, because that's what I wrote! Enjoy, and please review ; )

"Shards of Our Memories"

CHAPTER 6: General Hospital

"OH MY GOD! Kagome Higurashi?! Are you really THE Kagome Higurashi?!"

"…Er….that's me…?"

Kagome giggled nervously, thrown off by the girl's overzealous nature. The young teenage girl's fingers were latched around Kagome's arm like a vice, and she was alternating between gazing at Kagome with feverishly disbelieving eyes, and digging through her oversized purse to find a spare scrap of paper.

"I'm glad you enjoy the show…" she tried to strike up a friendly conversation in the uncomfortable situation.

What were you supposed to say, anyway, to someone who idolized you? `thanks for worshipping me as a goddess, but I'm really just normal.'? Or perhaps the old standby `It's all thanks to fans like you that I'm so successful.'

The girl practically wheezed in Kagome's face with excitement, her thin lips curling over the thick brackets of her braces. "ENJOY?! I die for that show!" Kagome had heard about fangirl attacks from her costars, but this was the first time she had ever experienced one. She had walked into the corner convenience store to pick up a carton of milk, and had practically been assaulted.

For a moment, she had forgotten the reason that anyone might recognize her on the street. She had been convinced it was a mugger….though, why someone would try to rob her of a carton of nonfat milk in the dairy section of a convenience store, she did not know….

Kagome pasted a wide grin on her face, accepting the pen and paper from the fan. "Er….so, who should I make this out to?"

"Oh..uh….uh…my name's Kelly! Sorry, I've never met anyone famous before…..kinda nervous…"

"….Don't be nervous….OK….to Kelly….best wishes….Kagome Higurashi…" Kagome scratched the words on the paper, and then signed her name in loopy cursive, carefully dotting the I's and adding a small heart. She handed it back to Kelly, a little pride seeping into her features. Her first real fan encounter. However scary it had first felt, it was certainly something she would always remember.

Kelly thanked her profusely, almost knocking over a rack of candy as she left the store.

Kagome waved after her, and blew out a sigh of relief as the girl left.

She finally turned to pay for the carton of milk, surprisingly not damaged after the frantic fan girl attack.

The woman at the counter gave Kagome a very long and strange look as she handed the girl her change.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The day that Inuyasha had arrived on the set of "Shards of Our Memories", Kagome had anticipated trouble. She had guessed correctly in some senses. He had become trouble on the set and off. Besides his original shy demeanor, the other cast members had soon recognized him as being the diva on the set. He made it immediately clear that he had not asked to be involved, and, therefore, was not going to make the best of it. He tried to avoid conversation as much as possible, never apologized, and, though he never ordered the assistants to do any outlandish tasks for him, he carried an air of arrogance that was unrivaled by even Kouga, the self-proclaimed King of Soaps.

In the show, too, Inuyasha's character was blooming into a brooding kind of asshole. Alonzo Martin, his alter ego on the soundstage, was not only a suave heartthrob, but he was deadly. It was almost frightening at the accuracy Inuyasha portrayed the lost man, searching for revenge, boiling with pent-up anger. He was hidden in the shadows, spying on the happy couple of Maya and Damien, trying to find the best way to seek revenge.

But despite these things- this veil of self-importance and standoffish-ness, Kagome still had the urge to get to know him. He was always alone, only talked on rare occasions when Hiten or Sesshomaru would ask for a word with him. Whenever Kagome moved to strike up another conversation, he would usually shoot back some scathing remark, give her a strange look and close up again. Though, she would have sworn that, on occasion, she had caught him staring at her. Those golden eyes- they were hard to miss, and hard to forget. She tried to lock his eyes, but they became shuttered easily, falling into a kind of misty shroud.

One day she would figure him out, but until that day, it seemed she was stuck with an emotionless log as a costar.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"So, Kagome- have you considered taking me up on a date? Dinner? A movie?"

Kouga's blue-green eyes glimmered brightly.

Kagome pulled her eyes away from her food for a moment, staring at Kouga over the table. Taking a hasty bite of her salad, she noticed Inuyasha standing within earshot of the conversation, shoveling some food on his plate from the lunch table. She turned her attention back to Kouga, returning his smile. "Sure, Kouga. That sounds like it would be fun!"

Kouga looked satisfied with himself, as he winked back at her. Noticing with a kind of remorseful surprise the emptiness of his food plate, he got up from his seat to go join Inuyasha at the food table.

Kagome watched silently as Kouga tried to strike up some sort of conversation with the cold shoulder, and began anticipating the worst.

"So, Inuyasha- I hear your character and my character are going to have a stand-off pretty soon, eh? Looking forward to the challenge?" Kouga poked Inuyasha's shoulder lightly, sending him a trademark snide grin.

Inuyasha frowned, and plain dislike appeared on his face as Kouga leaned closer to him. Instead of taking the bait and firing back, Inuyasha turned to face the wolfish actor slowly. His eyes glared daggers into Kouga. Yes, it didn't seem like Inuyasha was in the mood for talking, let alone joking. Then, with a sense of complete deliberation, Inuyasha swung his arm out fast and knocked Kouga's plate out his hands and onto the floor. Without saying a word, he turned on his heel and stomped off to eat alone.

Kouga stood motionless for a moment, watching the retreating figure with confusion. He slowly gathered up the pieces of meat and cheese from the ground, and then stalked back over to the table at where Kagome sat, his face twisted in anger and damaged pride.

"Kagome- whatever you do, don't mess with that guy! He's nothing but trash- I don't even know what the hell is wrong with him!" He glared at the empty hallway, shoving some food into his mouth.

Kagome sighed deeply. She felt like she should feel that kind of disgust towards him too, but she felt too intrigued by him. "….I've heard….that he's not so bad of a guy once you get to know him…." A feeble attempt. - Though I guess it's hard to get to know someone when he knocks your plate out of your hand whenever you try and talk to him…--

Kouga frowned deeper. "….Then he must have a fantastic PR representative…"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sango leaned against the partition behind the set, watching the actors preparing for the last scene of the day. She was on hand for touch-ups on makeup and hair, but was having a fine time watching the plot play out as an audience member. Though she often knew the details of the week's script because of her close association with Kagome, she still found herself addicted to the complicated plot.

And then there he was. The resident pervert. Sango rolled her eyes, seeing him strolling towards where she stood. In the past few weeks, Miroku had taken up the practice of visiting the set constantly. His excuse was that he wanted to check up on Kagome, but the clever hairstylist had the sneaking suspicion that he was coming to check OUT the women on the set.

She had to admit he was handsome, though. Nobody would say that he wasn't. Dark hair, shining eyes, a warm smile and chiseled features. Charming, too. When he was in the mood to be, Miroku could make any girl swoon. But, of course, beauty and brains don't always come in the same package. Miroku often waylaid charm and intelligence so that he could cop a feel. Not exactly a great way of getting a date.

He leaned up against the wall beside her, casually. She sighed. What was he going to do now? She didn't even try to move away from him as he greeted her.

"Sango- you look beautiful today!" He winked.

Sango rolled her eyes again. "Don't try anything, Mr. Inoue…" she warned, flatly.

"Whatever do you mean, Sango?"

Predictably, he moved in for the kill, trying to move with grace and ease. Sango was quicker than he imaged, though. No hand was going to grope her, no matter what kind of smile was attached to it. Miroku doubled over, clutching his stomach. Boy, was her elbow sharp!

Sango huffed, and right away, hustled away from the prone agent to get her bearings. It was as if his ears were impervious to warning signs of dangerous females. Why in the world couldn't he be a gentleman for one moment in his pathetic life?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everything had wrapped up for the night. The cameras had stopped rolling, and, currently, the large stage lights were cooling down. Kagome was enjoying the settling darkness, knowing it brought peace and stillness in the night, and that she could go home to rest after a harrowing day. She pulled on her jacket over her short dress, gathering her belongings.

As she made her way out into the studio floor, she saw Inuyasha there, conversing with Hiten near the foot of the set. She was caught for a moment, watching the way he moved and spoke.

A light tap on her shoulder made her practically jump out of her skin, embarrassed to be caught entranced. She swung around, shooting a nervous smile to Kouga, who was standing over her, almost protectively. He glanced over at Inuyasha for a moment, a mixed look of jealousy and discontent shadowing his face. Then, he turned back to Kagome.

"….Need a ride home….?"

She smiled a little, resisted the urge to look back at Inuyasha.

"No….no…I'll just take the bus…my apartment's a short distance from here, don't worry…." She lied.

"..You're sure you'll be safe?"

"…Yeah, yeah….I'll be just fine…!" She smiled reassuringly.

He nodded hesitantly, and then waved a goodbye to her, exiting from the studio side door to the back parking lot.

And, suddenly, Hiten and Kouga had left, and she and Inuyasha were all alone in the shadowy studio. Kagome breathed out slowly, wondering if she was brave enough to approach him. For the first time in weeks, he voluntarily looked her way, and their eyes locked for more than just a few seconds. Hers dark brown, and his holding an unusual brightness in them.

He didn't speak, though. Although his eyes glowed expectantly, his face still remained stony, and Kagome knew she would have to make the first move.

"….Inuyasha…." He didn't know why, but hearing her speak his name softly like that made a small blush rise to his cheeks. "Do you think you could drive me home? I'm not sure the bus comes this late." Boy, she was just full of lies tonight…..

He didn't move for a second, assessing the question with a kind of blank surprise. Maybe he had thought she was going to say something else…?

"Uh…..sure…." he responded, gruffly.

She nodded smartly, smiling up at him. "Thank you so much! You're a lifesaver!"

He turned away from her smile with a little pout on his face. She smiled inwardly. Was he blushing?

She followed him quietly out into the moonlight, they paced quietly along the cold concrete beneath the faded yellow of the streetlights. Her heels made sharp clicking noises that cut through the fresh air, and she noticed how he even slowed his pace to match hers.

He didn't know why he felt so shy next to this girl. She was silly, idiotic, bubbly. She kept staring at him, trying to get under his skin. The most annoying part was that she had succeeded. He couldn't help but look at her when they were in the same room. That constant cheerfulness in her step and her smile really should have annoyed him. But, for some unexplained reason, it didn't bother him. In fact, he noticed how content he felt, walking in silence with her down the empty street.

Kagome pulled the collar of her coat up under her chin, turning to glance at Inuyasha, who was hiding his face behind long locks of lush, white hair.

"So….are you enjoying acting on the show?"

He glared for a moment, but not at her. "It wasn't my choice….but…..it's not as bad as I first thought it would be."

She raised an eyebrow. "Then who made the choice for you, if it wasn't your own?"

"….My brother…." She nodded, quietly, realizing that he didn't want to talk about the subject any further, as his face darkened dangerously.

After another prolonged silence, she tried to restart conversation. "You've been doing a great job in your performance. You're so brilliant in your delivery. I feel I almost pale in comparison."

He didn't answer right away, but nodded without a word. Then, he met her eyes for the second time that night. "Yeah…..you really are pretty good yourself….."

She grinned back at him, almost bubbling over with pleased laughter. "See! I knew you had it in you!"

His calm face disrupted into a puzzled frown. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"You can be nice- you are human! I knew once I got you to open up, there'd be something soft deep inside." She hummed a little to herself, her feet feeling lighter.

He scowled, looking at this girl skipping along a deserted street, looking like a fool. He placed his hands on his hips, jutting out his jaw defiantly, though his face become more flushed. "I'm not a sissy!" He turned to stomp off towards the parking garage. Kagome, giggling a little, sped up to catch up with him.

There was a muffled sound of surprise behind Inuyasha, and he whipped around to see Kagome flat on the sidewalk, sprawled out on the concrete. He looked down at her, confused. "What are you doing?!"

She glared up at him, suddenly growing embarrassed. "I tripped, OK? I'm not exactly the most coordinated person when it comes to heels…." She cursed at herself, hoping that she didn't look like she literally WAS throwing herself at Inuyasha's feet.

Sighing dramatically, and containing his smug grin, Inuyasha crouched down next to her, helping her to sit up. "You OK….?" He asked dryly, tempted to taunt her just to see how she would react. Kagome sighed, winced as she placed a hand over her ankle.

He rolled his eyes impatiently, though an expression of worry spread across his face. "Don't touch it, stupid!" The way he said the word made it almost sound like an endearment, and Kagome didn't mind. Carefully, Inuyasha undid the strap that hooked around Kagome's ankle, and he began inspecting the swelling flesh. He grunted to himself, his fingers moving lightly over the tender skin. She jumped at his touch, the pain spreading rapidly.

"You might have sprained it…" he said, somewhat regretfully. "Do you think you can walk…?" His eyes rose up to meet hers.

"I'm not sure…" Using his broad shoulders for support Kagome tried to get up on her heels, and wavered within seconds. She found herself immediately in the awkward position of being gripped around the waist by a certain handsome actor. What a precarious position- one that she hadn't bargained for when she had asked for a ride home.

Now she was the one that was blushing. He growled at her a little. "I'll have to carry you back to the car, then…"

Before she could even protest, he had swung her easily into his arms, as if she weighed no more than a feather. He moved quickly down the sidewalk, with smooth, long strides. She bit her lip, nervously, sincerely regretting her choice of dress for the day. Her short skirt fell off her legs at a sharp angle, and his strong fingers wrapped tightly around the bare skin of her thighs. A shiver ran up her body, though if it was from the cold night air, or the fact that she was forced to hold her arms around his neck, she wasn't sure. She tried to relax into his arms, realizing that, to him, this might not mean anything.

Before she could register the full impact of the situation, they had arrived at Inuyasha's car. He set her gently in the passenger side, buckling her in, then proceeded to get in the driver's seat.

She smiled over at him, glad to notice how his face looked calmer, less cloudy than normal. Could it be that she was seeing that hidden nice side of him? "Thank you, Inuyasha…."

He smirked wryly at her as he turned the corner with ease. "Just don't fall over any more curbs, you klutz!"

….Or perhaps he would never change…..

Kagome snuggled up against the smooth leather of the seat, a small grin painted on her face, determined to enjoy the ride until they reached her home.

---------------------------------------

A/N: Awwww….I want Inuyasha to carry me home….. ; p

Look forward to Chapter 7: "Another World"

Review please!