InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Pieces Of A Pack ❯ In Dreams ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Written for the LiveJournal Community 30 Shards: Shard 14 - Whispers
 
Title: In Dreams
Character/Pairing: Miroku + InuYasha
Rating: T for suggestive comments
Squicks: None
Summary: As his beta, it is my duty to steer him and our pack in the direction most likely to benefit us. As his friend, I find it my wish to put a smile on his face.
Universe: Takes place in the “Pack Law” Universe, between the Sengoku Jidai & the Modern Age
 
 
His ears flick back and forth as he slumbers, lying across his desk. Hanyou don't need much sleep, but even they can be dragged to the land of dreams with enough sleepless nights… and copious amounts of alcohol.
 
It's rather amusing. He can withstand poison claws through the stomach. He fights through injuries that would often make full-blooded youkai back down. He eats enough to sustain a small village, when the cooks let him. But he still can't hold his sake…
 
“K'gome…” InuYasha's voice is soft, strained. His ears are flattened down on his head - a sure sign of distress.
 
I pretend I don't hear him. A few centuries ago, I would have teased him mercilessly, and risked a pounding. It would have been funny then. Now, it's simply sad.
 
As our friendship grows with the years, so too does my understanding of our hanyou. Yes, our hanyou. As a pack, he is fond of saying, we are his. That means he is ours. Ours to care for, ours to protect and be protected by in turn.
 
As his beta, it is my duty to steer him and our pack in the direction most likely to benefit us. One could say I was destined for this fate; I certainly have had much practice ensuring my endeavors profit myself. Now, I simply expand on the concept to ensure we're all well-cared for.
 
As his friend, I find it my wish to put a smile on his face. Sango and I often discuss how it seems everything positive in our life was due to InuYasha and the happy miko from the future. We only wish we could return the favor, return the twinkle to his eyes he always tried to hard to hide.
 
He hasn't properly smiled… that fangy `I'll-kill-you-if-you-mess-with-me' smirk Kagome seemed to so easily elicit… since the well was sealed.
 
I tried to help him move on, to find a woman worthy of him. He'll only go with them on the night of the new moon, though. I suggested he go out one night as a hanyou…
 
That was the first time in a long while he ever transformed. I escaped intact only because of the lessons we've all received in Pack Law. InuYasha's instincts kept me from losing my head… I never realized how much InuYasha's youkai side cared for Kagome. I thought he'd ignore her, as a human… or perhaps he'd want to kill her, as a miko. Instead, he called her his “mate” and refused to have anything to do with other women… youkai, hanyou or human.
 
I don't think InuYasha remembers the incident clearly. I avoid talking about it… just like I avoid talking about Kagome.
 
He insists he's forgotten her. He refuses to use her name in polite conversation, though we all know who he's referring to. Shippou aside, we generally abide by his rules. It's better to avoid those memories - they send him into bad moods ranging from rage to depression for days on end.
 
“K'gome… stay…” I ignore his whispers in the dark.
 
It's easier this way… for all of us, except for him.
 
A/N:
 
No, really, there ARE happy times Miroku and InuYasha lived through… I just haven't gotten around to writing `em yet!
 
That being said, the InuYasha Fan Guild (IYFG) has opened nominations for their 4th Quarter 2008 Awards. If you're a fan of a specific work (be it my own or otherwise), head on over to the guild and make a nomination… and hang around to vote. :)
 
Head to Inuyashafanguild.com for more information.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.