InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Pieces Of A Pack ❯ Livelihood ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Subject: Miroku + InuYasha - Shard 12: Advice
 
Title: Livelihood
Character/Pairing: Miroku + InuYasha
Rating: G
Squicks: None
Summary: Miroku embarks on a new career path
Universe: Takes place in the “Pack Law” Universe, between the Sengoku Jidai & the Modern Age
 
 
Miroku pinched the bridge of his nose, reminding himself that though beating the hanyou with his staff was great stress relief, it wouldn't encourage his alpha to make the decision any faster.
 
“Listen, all I'm saying is that somebody here needs to be able to patch everybody up. It would be a wise move for all of us,” he wheedled, steeling himself against the disapproving look etched into InuYasha's face.
 
“I don't see what all the fuckin' fuss is about, Miroku. So we get banged up a bit, so the fuck what? We heal and move on. Even you, Sango, Kohaku and Rin heal fast `cuz of the talismans.”
 
`Okay, maybe beating him to a pulp would demonstrate the need for proper health care.'
 
“Do you remember the fight last year between the serpent youkai and that dragon?” InuYasha nodded warily. “Remember how we had to claim it was a gas leak?” InuYasha bobbed his head again, completely clueless as to where his beta was going with this. “Humans were hurt in that battle, InuYasha. Innocent bystanders. Two died because they were poisoned and there was nowhere for them to go. If we open this hospital, we could cater to those people who get caught in the middle of our wars.”
 
InuYasha shifted uneasily. It'd never sat well with him that people got caught in the middle of youkai affairs, and Miroku knew it. Seeing his advantage, he pressed harder.
 
“How many people are we just going to let die? I know that most of the Council views most humans as useless creatures, but we have enough support to build the hospital. We just need people willing to train in both human and youkai medicine.”
 
“And you think you fit their needs,” InuYasha surmised. “Why? You've never really been interested before.”
 
Miroku pinched his lips together. `How to word this…' The plain fact of the matter was that Kagome had intrigued him all those years ago, bringing back anti-venom and what seemed at the time like magic cures for their many bumps, scrapes and bruises. When she'd left, they'd learned to get by with Kaede's help, but this… this would be filling Kagome's shoes.
 
Then again, Miroku wondered if that was why InuYasha was so reluctant to allow somebody that privilege. It was a matter of necessity outweighing loyalty in the hanyou's mind…
 
“It's something we need to do,” Miroku finally said. “And everybody here has a profession but me. Sango hunts for you, you're Sesshomaru's beta.” He forced a smile, “There're fewer people to con these days, and less of a need to do it. Sure, my powers as a monk are still needed sometimes, but it's becoming a rarity outside battle. Plus,” he said, choosing his words very carefully, “Sango thinks it's about time to start thinking of a family, now that we know where most of the remaining jewel shards are.”
 
InuYasha's ears twitched; a sure sign of distress, Miroku shifted uncomfortably. Family was a topic they usually tried to avoid. Rin had given birth to Kohaku's son just the year before, however, and Sango was somewhat disconcerted that her brother would be a father before she became a mother.
 
Nonetheless, InuYasha was thinking about it, and Miroku had to be honest with the hanyou. “My nephew is old enough that Kohaku can take Sango's place hunting while she's pregnant.” Though it chafed the taijya, Sesshoumaru's edict that pregnant women remain out of danger was indisputable.
 
“Opening the hospital would provide her with the care she needs. The youki is changing her; it's changing all of us, and you know it could raise questions with a normal, human doctor. Rin was lucky enough to have Lord Sesshoumaru's staff to tend her. But the old inu-youkai passed away last month; who will look over Sango?”
 
InuYasha nodded slowly, obviously rolling the idea around in his head. His friends were his most important focus; seeing Sango healthy outweighed the need to keep Kagome's “profession” sacrosanct in his mind.
 
“So you want to open the hospital and… go to school? Ain't medical school expensive?”
 
Miroku shot his friend a dry look. If there was one thing the pack would never have to worry about, it was money.
 
InuYasha shrugged, “Even if it ain't a concern, you'll be doing a lot of class stuff… like she always had to. What if I need to send you to help on a hunt? What if I need you as a beta?”
 
Miroku schooled his face into a calm expression that belied the irritation he was feeling. “I am confident in my ability to do the work efficiently. I am quite a fast learner, if I do say so myself, and so don't think it would be a problem to miss a few classes here and there as necessary.”
 
InuYasha opened his mouth, perhaps to contradict Miroku, but the monk jumped in again, having thought of something else, “And odds are that any child of mine could have holy powers. It would give us another person - if he or she is willing to be trained - to go out on hunts as necessary.”
 
The hanyou didn't like it; that much was obvious. However, not for nothing was Miroku considered the group's smooth-talker. InuYasha couldn't see a way around it and sighed.
 
“I'll talk to Sesshoumaru about it. If he agrees to support the hospital, we'll send you to medical school. But we'd better damn well see a return on the investment or I'll leave you to his mercies.”
 
Miroku cringed at the thought. `Time to get studying…'