InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ Jaken's Respite and Kirara's Gift ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Friendship
 
Genres: Drama/Humor
 
Pairing: Jaken/Kirara
 
Jaken's Respite and Kirara's Gift
 
The rich man who dines in the company of his money goes to sleep hungrier than the poor man who fasts in the company of his friends.
 
Jaken hadn't heard that old proverb in ages. Why it came to mind now, as he lay floating peacefully on a lake with no one but the stars in the night sky for company, he did not know. Maybe because I didn't get a chance to eat anything tonight . . . . Pursing his lips, he closed his eyes and tried to think of something else. It was unsettling, somehow, the idea of a rich man going to sleep hungry.
 
Sleep itself was eluding him that night, though the same couldn't be said for Sesshomaru and Rin. They were dozing a hundred meters or so away in the woods. Jaken had snuck off an hour ago, with no particular destination in mind. He just had to get away, even if only for a few hours. As much as he loved serving Sesshomaru, Jaken didn't get much time to himself, and sometimes, though rarely, he needed a break. It could get tedious spending all one's waking hours with the same people day in and day out. Not to mention that Rin could be a handful and a headache. Jaken needed someplace where he could be alone, undisturbed. So when he discovered the lake, he thought What the hell and dove right in, clothes on and all.
 
It was soothing after a long day's journey to drift there as the swishing water enveloped him, the humming of the night's insects providing a pleasant sort of symphony. Jaken opened his eyes, and was greeted by the most magnificent panoramic view of the sky. The stars were so brilliant, so numerous, so far away. It was humbling. And depressing. Suddenly Jaken felt utterly insignificant. He was nothing but an ant to those stars up above. They reigned from the Heavens, wholly untouchable to everything that lay below. What must that feel like . . . ?
 
Letting out a sigh of resignation, Jaken closed his eyes again. At least, for now, he was master of the lake. Nothing could disturb him. Nothing at—
 
SPLASH!
 
Jaken sputtered as something heavy landed in the water nearby, creating a huge wave that tossed him about. He opened his eyes, gagging on lake water, and looked around frantically for the offending party. Whatever it was, it must have been big to hit the water so effectively.
 
Bubbles started rising to the lake's surface. With a splish, something raised its head above the water.
 
Mew!
 
It was a little cat-like demon, and from the delighted sound of its voice, apparently it had enjoyed causing him mischief.
 
Jaken was not amused.
 
“What do you think you're doing, barging in like that? I could have drowned!”
 
Mewww!
 
“Oh ha ha. Very funny. And how did a petite creature such as yourself cause such a ruckus?”
 
The cat's eyes seemed to twinkle then, and with a burst of flame that somehow was unhindered by the water, the cat's form changed from a small, harmless creature to a large, rather ferocious looking feline.
 
“Ahhh!” The transformation took Jaken by surprise. He floundered a bit, and then stopped as a new thought struck his mind.
 
“Wait . . . don't I know you from somewhere?”
 
Mewww!
 
“So that's it! Now I remember. You're one of Inuyasha's brood.”
 
Mew!
 
“Kirara, right. I'm Jaken.” He started wading toward shore. If he was going to hold a conversation, he sure as hell wasn't going to do it with lake water getting in his mouth. Reaching the beach, he sat down and began to wring out his robes.
 
Meeew?
 
“What am I doing here? Humph, I could ask the same of you. Although I suppose you just like startling unsuspecting victims like me, eh?”
 
Kirara mewed, but it was almost a laugh.
 
Jaken sighed. “You know, I'm not so sure myself what I'm doing out here.” He stared up at the sky. “Just wanted to be alone, I guess,” he added quietly.
 
Meww.”
 
“You feel that way too, huh? Yeah, `tag-along' is a good way of putting it. What are you doing anyway, a powerful demon like yourself, hanging out in the company of humans all the time?”
 
Kirara gave him an indignant look, and then asked him the most philosophical of questions: Mew?
 
Jaken raised his hands in defense. “Okay, I get it. Touché. I've got a human companion too.”
 
Kirara raised a questioning eyebrow.
 
“Why do I keep her around?” Jaken thought about it for a moment. “Well, not like I have a choice in the matter, but yeah . . . she's my friend.”
 
Kirara gave Jaken a smile, indicating that his answer was her answer, too.
 
“Huh. It's kinda funny. Never thought I'd have a human friend.”
 
Kirara squeaked, which Jaken took to mean, “I hear that.”
 
The two demons were quiet then, lost in thought as they contemplated the pulsing waters of the lake.
 
All of a sudden, the silence was broken by the sound of Jaken's stomach rumbling.
 
“Oops! Sorry. I guess I didn't really eat anything tonight.”
 
There was a gleam in Kirara's eye then, and in an instant, she dove back into the lake.
 
Jaken almost bowled over as she disappeared under the water. “Kirara! What is it?”
 
He waited anxiously as she stayed hidden underwater. But a few moments later, she popped up and flew out, holding two shiny fish in her jaws. She dropped them at Jaken's feet.
 
“What's with you? I thought cats didn't like water, but you're so adept in it.”
 
Kirara only nudged the fish closer to him.
 
“For me?”
 
Mew!
 
“No, no, I couldn't eat that by myself, not after you went to the trouble of catching them. Let's share.”
 
They each took a fish and went to it. One of the benefits of being a demon, of course, was the ability to not only eat raw food, but to enjoy raw food.
 
Soon they finished, and their stomachs full, they stretched out under the stars.
 
Meeeww.
 
“Yeah, the stars are beautiful. You ever wonder what it must feel like, to be so high, to look down on all creation like that?”
 
Kirara shook her head. “Mew.
 
“Oh.” Jaken sighed. “I guess it's just me then.” Yawning, he closed his eyes. It felt so good to be so full, and the grass under his head was so comfy . . . .
 
When Jaken woke up, it wasn't quite dawn yet. He blinked lazily, his eyes trying to come into focus. “Huh. I didn't even feel myself fall asleep. You still there, Kirara?”
 
He didn't see her anywhere around him.
 
Guess she left. Huh, did the grass feel this soft when I fell asleep?
 
Mew!”
 
Startled, Jaken sat up. Not only had Kirara's voice come from nearby, it had come from beneath him! As the last remnants of sleep shook out of his eyes, Jaken realized he'd been lying on Kirara's back, and she was flying through the air!
 
“Ahhhh! Kirara! What are you doing?”
 
She turned her head around and stared into Jaken's eyes. And with that one glance, she seemed to say more than any words ever could.
 
Jaken looked down to watch the ground racing underneath them. And the world he saw before him was vast and beautiful. His breath caught. “Ohh . . . .”
 
He'd flown with Sesshomaru before, but it wasn't like this. It was nothing like this. With Sesshomaru, Jaken was a piece of baggage. With Kirara, Jaken was a king.
 
As clouds swept past him, and trees whizzed beneath his feet, Jaken felt an all-encompassing satisfaction, not unlike the kind one has after enjoying a hearty meal. He was overcome with the majestic beauty of it all. All he could do was manage a simple whisper. “Thank you, Kirara.”
 
Dawn would come soon. Jaken would have to return to Sesshomaru, and Kirara to Sango. They knew that they would never get to share another night like this again. But then, they didn't need to.
 
The rich man who dines in the company of his money goes to sleep hungrier than the poor man who fasts in the company of his friends.
 
That old proverb didn't disturb Jaken anymore.