InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ The Secret Wish of Master Jaken ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Longing
 
Genre: Drama
 
The Secret Wish of Master Jaken
 
“What do you wish for, Master Jaken?”
 
It had been an innocent enough question, borne out of a childish curiosity that had only intensified in the hours that Rin and Jaken waited for the return of Sesshomaru's presence, as Rin found herself running out of things to say.
 
Outside it was raining, and they had taken shelter in a cave. It was cold and dreary, and utterly monotonous, with no scenery other than the drab stone walls.
 
Jaken had humored the girl until now, answering whatever silly questions came to her mind, but this one brought him to a standstill.
 
“What do I wish for? What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“Oh, you know, Master Jaken. If you could have anything in the world, what would it be?”
 
Jaken had never heard such a question in his life. What did he long most for in his heart of hearts?
 
Visions flashed in Jaken's mind then, memories of past instances . . .
 
Inuyasha brushing past him angrily—“One side, Small-fry” . . .
 
Painful throbbing in his head after Rin had fallen on him half a dozen times—failed attempts standing on his shoulders to obtain fruit he couldn't reach . . .
 
Sesshomaru walking away from him—and the way he struggled to catch up, huffing and puffing and cursing at his shrimpy stride . . .
 
Jaken broke out of his reverie and snorted at Rin.
 
“Stupid girl. What could I possibly desire? I wish for nothing.”
 
He turned away from her in an exaggeratedly indignant manner, and huffed, “It's late. There's no sense in you waiting up for Lord Sesshomaru all night and then holding us up tomorrow morning from exhaustion. Go to sleep.”
 
Rin blinked, not understanding what she had done wrong, but quietly complied.
 
When the only sounds that could be heard were the ceaseless pounding of the rain outside and Rin's steady breathing, Jaken's brow furrowed in consternation at the conversation that had taken place.
 
He glared angrily at his stumpy legs, and then regarded Rin and burned with jealousy. Already the little girl was taller than him by a fair measure, and she would surpass him further still, even though he was dozens of times her age.
 
It was unfair. Because of his small stature, no one ever took him seriously or thought him useful. He was just the little imp that tagged along at Sesshomaru's heels.
 
Jaken ground his teeth miserably and looked away. By chance, he spotted a notch high up in the cave wall nearest him, and aimlessly he reached for it. But his fingers missed the mark by a good distance, and much later, when Sesshomaru returned to the cave, the sight that awaited him was of Jaken grunting and standing up on his tiptoes, grabbing at a nothingness that he could never attain.
 
“Jaken. What are you trying to reach?”
 
At the sound of Sesshomaru's voice, Jaken put his arms down and ceased his fruitless battle.
 
“Er—nothing, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
“It's almost dawn. Get some sleep. I won't be set back by your sluggishness in the morning.” Sesshomaru smirked and turned away. “You have trouble keeping up as it is.”
 
“ . . . Yes, of course, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
Jaken lay down, out of breath from struggling so hard and so pointlessly. The notch in the wall looked down on him victoriously. Jaken shunned his eyes from it.
 
I wish for nothing, he thought as sleep overtook him . . .
 
I wish for nothing.