InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ The Birds and the Bees ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Courage
 
Genre: Humor
 
The Birds and the Bees
 
Now Jaken had been working for Lord Sesshomaru for many a year, and had been ordered at one time or another to fulfill many a dangerous task. And Jaken fancied himself quite the brave, fierce demon, and a faithful, meticulous servant, ready and willing to suffer any challenge that Sesshomaru set before him.
 
Yet now he found himself cowering visibly in fear of the mission Sesshomaru bade him do. He approached Rin with quivering legs, trying to gather up all his courage.
 
The girl was standing in a stream trying to catch fish for supper, the water coming up to the knees of her gawky long legs. She's so much taller now, Jaken thought. Well, I suppose she should be. After all, her 13th birthday is coming up.
 
Indeed, it was the topic of Rin's impending birthday that brought this task to Sesshomaru's mind. “She's old enough,” he'd said. “More than old enough. It's time you told her . . .”
 
Me?!” Jaken had squealed. But after a glare from Sesshomaru, Jaken was all courtesy and bows, saying that of course he would do whatever Sesshomaru asked of him.
 
And so he found himself standing before the preoccupied girl now.
 
“Uh, Rin?”
 
She hardly glanced up from her work, carefully eyeing the fish that darted about in the stream. “Yes, Master Jaken?”
 
“We need to talk.”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Well, Lord Sesshomaru and I think it's time someone told you about the . . . about the . . .”
 
Somehow Jaken couldn't find the words. Ugh, I feel like a swarm of hornets is caught in my throat. But at that thought, Jaken had an idea.
 
“You see, Rin, in this world there are bees and there are birds.”
 
“What?”
 
“Um, well. Some people are birds, and some people are bees, you see, and uh, when a bird falls in love with a bee . . . um . . . “
 
Rin was giving him the most puzzled look now. “Master Jaken, are you trying to tell me about . . . “ And as Rin spoke, Jaken's face flushed the deepest shade of crimson.
 
“Well, yes.”
 
“Oh, I know all about that.”
 
“You do?!”
 
“Oh yes. My mother told me when I was a little girl.”
 
“She did? But you were so young!”
 
“Well, we had a dog once. And she had puppies, and well, I pretty much learned about it then.”
 
Phew. Jaken breathed easier now, knowing he was in the clear. That was quite possibly the scariest experience of his life, but it was over now, and he'd never have to have another embarrassing conversation with Rin again.
 
And breathing a sigh of relief, Jaken turned to go.
 
“So, Master Jaken, how did your parents tell you about the birds and the bees?”
 
Jaken stopped short. Ulp.
 
And Jaken realized that day that he was not quite as brave as he once believed.