InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ Words Unspoken ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Sunset
 
Genres: Romance/General
 
Words Unspoken
 
The sun was setting, and with it went what little warmth could be had from a winter's day such as this one. Amber rays struggled to break through the blanket of the cloudy white sky. The only sounds that could be heard were the crackling of the campfire and the steady breathing of Rin as she lay asleep on Ah-Un's back.
 
Not too far away, Sesshomaru was perched gracefully on a boulder, sitting so still that he may as well have been part of the rock itself.
 
Jaken, on the other hand, was quivering horribly, huddled so close to the campfire that he was in danger of catching aflame himself. The poor cold-blooded toad-demon had it rough on frosty winter evenings like this one.
 
Idly, Sesshomaru wondered why Jaken bothered following him at all. Surely he would be more comfortable living among his own kind. Toad demons, with their stout little bodies, were not designed for long-distance travel. Nor were they equipped to handle the elements the way dog demons were. Sesshomaru felt quite warm despite the chilly weather.
 
Meanwhile, Jaken's teeth were rattling so hard inside his head that he was surprised they didn't fall out. He tried to focus his attention on the orange flames, which seemed to climb up and blend into the sky itself. He had to get his mind off the cold and think of the fire, think of being warm. But he was too ashamed of his embarrassing display. Why did Lord Sesshomaru always allow him to follow when all it took was a little cold air to incapacitate him? Surely Lord Sesshomaru didn't need a servant so weak and helpless.
 
Jaken was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice Sesshomaru get up from the rock, nor did he hear when someone approached him from behind. But suddenly Jaken felt something warm and heavenly enveloping him, and he gasped a bit with relief from the cold, his breath leaving a wispy trail in the air.
 
Sesshomaru said nothing as he sat down next to Jaken and wrapped his fur around him. He almost let a smile come to his face as he felt the creature next to him stop shivering. The two sat contentedly next to the fire as the sun dropped below the earth. Nothing needed to be said.
 
There was a reason Jaken followed Sesshomaru. It was the same reason Sesshomaru let him.