InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ Snow Story ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Hope
 
Genres: Humor/Drama/Gen
 
Rating: K
 
Snow Story
 
A white whorl of snowy wind was whizzing across the mountainside as Sesshomaru and his troupe tried to cross it. Sesshomaru braced himself against it, and trudged on, but his companions were struggling.
 
Kohaku was several meters behind him, eager to keep up, to prove his strength and fortitude to Sesshomaru. The wind kept beating him back, but he fought against it, occasionally falling down, but quick to jump up again.
 
Next in line came Rin. She had it the easiest (in Jaken's opinion), sitting high above the snow on Aun, huddled inside a cocoon of blankets.
 
And falling ever farther and farther behind was Jaken, who kept screaming hopelessly, “Wait for me, Lord Sesshomaru!”
 
“Master Jaken,” Rin said, looking back at him as he tripped and fell down face first into the snow. “You're usually green. Why have you turned blue?”
 
“B-b-because I'm cold, you imbecile!” he said, teeth chattering. “That's why!”
 
“That's funny,” Rin said. “I'm nice and warm.”
 
“There's nothing f-f-funny about it!”
 
“I'll share my blankets with you, Master Jaken, if you want to come sit with me.”
 
“I am not doing that, snuggling up under blankets like some helpless human child.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“Because I'd look foolish, that's why!” Jaken sighed and his breath turned into smoke in the frigid air.
 
“Don't do that, Master Jaken! You'll sigh all your warmth away.”
 
Jaken sighed again. What warmth? The longer they traveled the colder it got. After several teeth chattering minutes, Jaken sighed louder than usual, and called for Aun to stop. He came running up to the beast.
 
“What are you doing, Master Jaken?” Rin asked.
 
“What does it look like I'm doing?” Jaken said, kicking up puffs of snow as he scurried up to her. “I'm getting up on Aun, too! It's no fair you should hog all the blankets.”
 
Rin helped Jaken up, and smiled as he settled in next to her, wrapping himself in one of the blankets. Soon he felt warmth returning to his poor frozen limbs. He sighed again, but it was a much happier sigh than usual. Aun shifted underneath them as the ground began sloping upward.
 
Up ahead of them, Kohaku found it harder and harder to keep his footing. He stumbled and slipped through the snow. He was shaking noticeably from the cold. Aun soon passed him, and now it was Kohaku who fell behind.
 
Sesshomaru stopped in his tracks. “Kohaku,” he said without turning around. “You are holding us up.”
 
“I'm sorry, Lord Sesshomaru,” Kohaku said, lowering his eyes in shame. “You should leave me behind.” Sesshomaru said nothing, and Kohaku's face fell. Sesshomaru was probably considering his offer.
 
“Aun has room for one more.”
 
Kohaku's face lifted in surprise. “Yes, Lord Sesshomaru.” There was no shame in admitting he needed a little help—not if Sesshomaru approved of it. Kohaku trudged up to Aun, and Rin and Jaken moved over to allow Kohaku to sit behind them.
 
Rin smiled at him. “I'm glad you're with us,” she said.
 
“You're pathetic,” said Jaken. “Couldn't even withstand a few snowflakes.” Kohaku gave Jaken a look. The little toad youkai was clutching onto Rin as though for dear life. “Hey, I'm cold! It's not like I want to hug the little brat.”
 
Kohaku laughed and wrapped his arms around the two of them. He was used to Jaken's moods by now, and knew he hadn't meant any harm. A smile crossed Kohaku's face. He hadn't been part of a family for what felt like a very long time.
 
Sesshomaru glanced back at the lot of them, huddled together looking peaceful and content. They were safe for now. There were greater dangers than the mountainside and the weather facing them ahead. But seeing them together sparked hope in his heart. They would make it through the long winter.