InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Binding of Souls ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: A Binding of Souls

Author: Snowviolet

Category: Romance, but I warn you, angst is on the horizon. I've never tried my hand at angsty goodness, I yearn to taste the outer shell of catharsis and its chewy plotlike center. Mmmmm.

Rating: PG-13 mostly, with some rated R lemon drops here and there.

Disclaimer: Blah blah, not mine. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

Feedback: Gimme gimme. Will write for feedback, so stroke the muse's ego. Although if you are some rabid nut who feels it is their purpose in life to rain on people's parades for alternative pairings, you need not apply.

Author's Note: I was so very very inspired by Sandra E's Chasing Methuselah. I'm a Miroku/Kagome convert now. That story should be required reading material for readers. Colorful, well-written, amazing plot and character development. Five stars, baby.


She had known as soon as the breeze began stirring in the forest around her.

A silence had fallen over the area as a gentle gust of wind washed over her body, and hers alone. The others seemed to sense a change in the air also, and watched anxiously as she stilled and closed her eyes in communion with the moment. A fluttering sensation fell upon her chest as she breathed in silently, and then there was a fullness in her soul.

She hadn't expected the way it had embraced her heart without hesitation, an unheard sigh of relief as though things were finally as they should be. She had no right to feel such a lightness in her soul, such buoyancy in the finality of the moment. And yet she felt no remorse or anger, and to her surprise, no regret as the last piece of Kikyo's soul willingly joined with her own.

Kagome hadn't explained when her companions stared, but had smiled reassuringly for she didn't trust her voice. Inuyasha had returned soon after looking lost, as though not quite sure what to do next. She had gently taken his hand in hers and taken him aside from the others, not knowing what his reaction would be to the news

He had stared at her in disbelief for a moment before regaining his demanding tone. "How can you know such a thing? You weren't even there! You don't know what happened!"

"Inuyasha, I know. Her soul joined mine as she crossed over."

"You don't know! You-You're jealous! Jealous of our love, of what she means to me! You'd say anything to have me to yourself!" Even as he said the words, he knew he had gone too far in his declaration of love. She flinched at the words, the hurt in her eyes unmistakable.

"Kagome, I-"

Her voice wavered as she cut him off, but she did not cry. "Believe what you will, I only wished to spare you the pain of not knowing. In the end....she wanted you to be happy."

She was unable to meet his eyes, but leaned up on tiptoe to brush a gentle kiss to his forehead before turning to go back to camp.