InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Binding of Souls ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The tension was tangible between them in the days after, and though the others were puzzled they didn't pry. Each day they would travel in search of news of Naraku's whereabouts, or the location of a new shard, moving towards some unknown destination. And each day the rest of the group tried to fill the silence with random chatter. They rotated back and forth from Inuyasha to Kagome, taking turns in engaging their attention.

Why were they so worried about her, though? She was used to his callous attitude, and she knew that he didn't mean to hurt her. Inuyasha was the one who was mourning, not her. She could understand his lashing out at her, after all she was the one who reminded him so much of Kikyo. She wouldn't cry. She wouldn't.

A tear slid down her cheek.

He cared about her, she knew he did. He had to. He drew strength from her faith in him, her optimism, and her drive to find the shards and end Naraku's evil.

Never mind that he didn't watch her the way he had watched Kikyo. Barely breathing as the graceful sway of her hips entranced him. Another tear rolled across her face, and she stumbled against the packed earth of the road.

Clumsy Kagome, Inuyasha's shard detector, his unwelcomed responsibility, his sometimes confidante and friend. Friend is to lover, as reincarnation is to former self, as Kagome is to Kikyo. Her life was an evil logic problem from a college entrance exam.

Merely a poor imitation of the original. She burst into tears.

"You're right, Kagome-sama! This does look to be a place of religious importance." A deep voice boomed loudly besides her, startling her.

Miroku shortened his strides to match hers, and slowly winked before turning to the others. "Sango-sama! Will you take Shippou ahead with Inuyasha? We'd like to investigate this tree shrine a bit further, as it is on holy ground."

Sango peered at him quizzically, but nodded hesitantly, catching on. "Yes, Miroku-san! Don't dawdle too long though, its getting dark."

Sango hurried a curious Shippou and a barely interested Inuyasha ahead, chattering about scouting ahead for the next day.

Miroku waited until they were out of sight and smiled gently at her. "Why the tears, my flower?"

Kagome sniffled as she wiped at her tear-streaked face, but smiled at the endearment. "No reason. My hayfever must be acting up. I'll have to ask mama to pick me up some allergy medicine next time I go home. I mean really, the ragweed is atrocious and I, uhm...yeah, not buying it?"

Miroku shook his head, and crossed his arms causing the rings on his shakujo to jangle.

She nibbled at her lip. "I was reading Romeo and Juliet, and I'm at the part where they kill themselves?"

He frowned, and sat down on a nearby boulder to wait patiently. "Kagome-chan, surely you can do better. I have more respect for your imagination than that."

"Well, I'm trying!" She glared at him with a flash of temper.

Miroku held back a laugh at her pouting glare.

"Has Inuyasha broken your heart once again, little one?"

She stilled and her bottom lip quivered dangerously at his kind tone.

"Hai. I must be getting warmer. Did he call you names again, or insult your cooking?"

She toyed with the hem of her skirt, twisting the material in her fingertips.

"Hmm, colder. A jealous rage over Kouga-kun, then?"

Kagome snorted indelicately.

"Icy cold. He ate the last strawberry pocky?"

Kagome giggled.

"Or is it that he has lost himself in grieving of Kikyo?"

Kagome burst into tears anew, covering her face in sorrow. Miroku reached for her hand, and pulled her into his lap. He rubbed her back gently and made soothing sounds as she cried upon his shoulder, soaking his robes.

He couldn't help but wipe at her damp lashes, brushing aside her tears. She looked so lost and forlorn upon his lap, so in need of comfort.

"I'm s-sorry! I don't know what's come over me, I just can't seem to stop crying!" She wailed against his chest, her words muffled.

Miroku chuckled, and ruffled her hair with a teasing tone. "It's quite all right, Kagome-chan. My robes were in need of a washing anyways. Tell me what has happened so that I may help."

"Everything has changed, everything! It's all so confusing!" She sobbed miserably.

"Inuyasha mourns, and I am the one who weeps! I'm just now realizing that we will never be together like I always dreamed of." Her tears had stopped and her voice was quiet with the admission, tinged in sorrow.

"He can never be with me without wanting Kikyo, and I refuse to be an imitation of his true desire." She bowed her head in pain.

Miroku clenched his hands at the heartache in her voice. One who's spirit was as untouched as her's did not deserve such sorrow. Or to fall in love with such a jackass.

But she wasn't yet finished with her confession. "I-I'm beginning to feel things around me in a way I didn't know was possible. When the I raise my face to the sun it feels like a lover's touch, and the wind caresses my skin with each gentle breeze."

Miroku stared at her, amazed at the unbidden poetry of that had fallen so easily from her lips. He had never heard her talk in such a mature manner, he supposed he had always thought of her as a child, despite her calling. But it was obvious she cared for Inuyasha, and he had no doubt she was capable of deeper emotions. She deserved better than the hanyou, better than his half-hearted affection and intentions.

"It is not everything else that has changed. It is you that is different, Kagome-chan."

She considered his words, weighing them."Perhaps you are right, Miroku-san. But I don't know what to make of it." Her voice was soft as she made the admission, gazing down at the ground.

"The gentle Kikyo's passing has had consequences beyond our own emotions and quests, I believe."

Kagome blinked and did a double-take at his knowledge of Kikyo's death. She hadn't told anyone but Inuyasha of what had happened.

"Hai. I felt her spirit in the forest when her soul returned to you. I simply wished to respect your privacy, so I remained silent."

She smiled weakly, nodding her head. Of course he would have felt Kikyo's passing with his own spiritual powers, she was embarrassed she hadn't realized it sooner. It was so easy to forget that the playful man had a serious side, a calling. Yes, he spent much of his time swindling lords and groping the nearest beauty, but despite vices and charms more suited to a courtier, he did possess true spiritual insight from years of experience.

"You have trained diligently over the years you have visited our era, Kagome-sama, but you have been at a disadvantage."

Kagome frowned, paying close attention to his words.

"With Kaede-baba's guidance you have learned much about your abilities, but a piece of your soul has been missing. Now that the final fragment has been returned, you are whole again. Like a completed Shikon no Tama, you have come into your full miko's powers."

Miroku's voice was earnest as he explained, and Kagome had to admit, it made sense. It was as though she had been functioning with a handicap all this time, and had become so used to the missing part of her soul that being complete once again was a new experience.

He watched her wrap her mind around his theory, adorable as the emotions playing across her face so openly. She chewed thoughtfully at her lip, wetting it with the tip of her tongue, deep in thought. Such plump and rounded lips, quite kissable really.

Bad Houshi! Think pure thoughts. This is your friend, Kagome. Pure and innocent miko, Kagome. Virginal Kagome.....bad thoughts again!

Miroku groaned, determined to behave himself for once. For all of his roguish ways, he cared for this gentle woman. She was hurting and confused, and he was trying to help her make sense of her situation, not maul her.

Kagome gazed at Miroku in wonder. He had never exposed such depth of character to her before, especially not so privately. She felt honored that he would show her a part of himself that others did not see.

And his ponytail was so cute. Really, we're talking cuter than Shippou-chan's tail. She fought the urge to twirl it around her finger and see how it felt to the touch.

What are you thinking, Kagome?! Focus on the conversation. Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yes, miko powers. Good. All things holy and spiritual as a monk and miko should be discussing. Oh! The wind is rustling his hair!

He repeated a mantra in his head over and over. Look, but don't touch. Look, but don't touch. Look but don't touch.

Surely just one little touch wouldn't hurt anything? No! Kagome cleared her throat and smiled hesitantly before rising to her feet.

"Thank you, Miroku-chan. I feel so much better now, like I have a new insight on the path ahead of me."

Miroku thanked Buddha for small miracles as she stood, and discreetly adjusted his robes to hide just how great his relief was.

"Anytime, Kagome-sama. You do not need to be alone always with your thoughts, it is my pleasure to help in any way I can."

Hmmm, pleasure.

"But do you know the most amazing thing I've discovered today, Houshi- sama?" Kagome queried solemnly.

Miroku seemed deep in his own thoughts, a sweat upon his brow despite the cool breeze.

"No?"

"I sat on your lap for thirty minutes...and you were a complete gentleman!" She flashed a knowing grin and hurried towards the others with a flirty flip of her skirt.

Miroku groaned as he watched her short kimono sway and brush against her legs as she walked in front of him.

Perhaps there is hope for me yet.