InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Case of Double Personality ❯ Return ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

N/A: Check out negri87's art thingy for “A case of double personality”! Thank you so much negri87, I'm really flattered! And I think Aya's a good choice. I love it! -huggles-
 
 
Chapter IX: Return
 
 
When Rin and Jaken returned with food, Kumiko accepted the little girl's melon offering and sat down with her back on the taiyoukai. She started to eat, thinking about all that had happened.
 
 
“I've been here for a few days now, my family must be worried sick...” She thought miserably as she took another bite. “I wish I could let them know I'm alright, I'd feel so much better...” she sighed with sadness.
 
 
“Wait, maybe I could!” she dropped the slice of melon upon having a revelation.
 
 
“I could go back trough that time-well thingy and then I'd tell them I'm ok and make something up so I could leave again!” she thought as her face brightened.
 
 
“Hey, Sesshoumaru!” she called, getting up.
 
 
The daiyoukai was just about to express his disapproval about the way she had addressed a superior being such as himself, when he saw the girl jumping happily around Ah-Un.
 
 
“I'm gonna go back home for a little while, to tell my family that I'm fine. They must be worried about me right now.” She informed him, ceasing her jumping as Rin took over the task.
 
 
“By go back home, she means in her time...” he thought.
 
 
“How do you go back?” he asked, realizing he didn't know how she could travel trough time.
 
 
“Through a well. It's in a forest near a village. Midoriko heard the villagers saying it was called Inuyasha's forest. Strange name, huh?” she spoke.
 
 
“Inuyasha's forest...” Sesshoumaru thought. “The forest where my little half-breed half-brother got sealed fifty years ago. That Kagome girl, who probably came from another time, released him. She must have used the well too.”
 
 
Well, it made no difference now. Had he known about this earlier, things would not be the same, but now he didn't care.
 
 
“You are not a prisoner. You may come and go as you please. I care not.” he replied with indifference.
 
 
“Yeah, I know. It's just that...I don't know how to get back to Inuyasha's forest.” she said sheepishly.
 
 
He allowed himself a smirk, although in his heart he was waiting for a reason to accompany her. Many youkai lurked in that forest.
 
 
“I think we have to walk for a couple of days...” She spoke timidly.
 
 
“No, we don't. I have no such time to waste.” he informed her in a cold voice.
 
 
“So you won't come with me?” She raised puppy dog eyes to his golden blocks of ice.
 
 
“I didn't say that.”
 
 
She cast him a puzzled glance as he turned to his servant:
 
 
“Jaken. Look after Rin. I will return shortly.”
 
 
“Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama! I, Jaken, will guard her with my life!” The toad demon spoke, excited to be of use to his master.
 
 
“Are you ready?” The demon lord asked Kumiko.
 
 
“Yes...” She replied in a surprised tone as she found herself in Sesshoumaru's arms, as he rose above the ground.
 
 
“That's so cool!” She exclaimed, waving to Rin.
 
 
Ah-Un quickly became a small dot as the daiyoukai raised above the clouds. It was getting really cold, Kumiko thought, shivering.
 
 
Noticing that, Sesshoumaru wrapped her up in the fur that lied on his shoulder and that seemed to expand miraculously. It was much better now, she thought, while cuddling in the soft, white mass of fur.
 
 
She had been on a plane before and she had to admit this was much better. She actually felt safer flying with Sesshoumaru; she didn't really trust the many metal gadgets a plane was made of to function correctly.
 
 
“But if he brings me like this, I won't know the way back...” The thought hit her suddenly.
 
 
“Could you possibly perhaps maybe...wait for me to get back? I won't take long, I promise!” she pleaded, hoping that the daiyoukai wouldn't drop her.
 
 
“Even if I did have such time to waste, which I do not, I am not your dog.” he replied sharply.
 
 
“I didn't say you were! It's just that I won't know the way back to you!” she snapped, but quickly lowered her voice, seeing how her life depended on his mood.
 
 
“Hmph. Humans really lack intellect. You will come back after a fixed period of time and so will I.” he said, casting her a glance that meant “Wasn't it obvious?”
 
 
“Oh...” She wanted to shoot back a witty remark regarding the “humans really lack intellect” part, but again reminded herself that he was holding her while flying really high above the ground.
 
 
His speed was extraordinary, so it didn't take long until he started to descend and she saw the familiar clearing, along with the time well.
 
 
When his feet touched the ground, he released her from his arms and she backed away a few feet as he cast her a cold glance:
 
 
“You will return in precisely one day.” He instructed.
 
 
She sighed with relief, nodding her head. One day was more than enough to clear matters up with her parents and get back.
 
 
Sesshoumaru turned around to leave. He didn't take to the air, nor did he plan on walking far. He sensed his half-brother's scent, probably coming from the village near by and he was sure Inuyasha had caught his own scent by now. The hanyou would come to him, thus saving him the trouble of entering a human establishment. He needed information.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru!” The girl's voice stopped him.
 
 
He turned his eyes to her as she said in a shy voice:
 
 
“Thank you.”
 
 
The daiyoukai didn't bother to reply and instead walked away slowly, the wind playing with his silver hair.
 
 
“Okay. Only one problem. My clothes.” Kumiko thought, analyzing her apparel with worried eyes.
 
 
Still, in her time the well was located in a shrine so she could just say she bought the Miko outfit from there.
 
 
“Got to ditch the armor, though.” she said to herself, while unstrapping the heavy armor and throwing it aside.
 
 
Kumiko took a deep breath and closed her eyes, jumping inside the time-well.
 
 
 
 
 
ooooOOoooo
 
 
Kagome was searching through her huge yellow bag to give everyone their presents. She had just come back from her time, or to be technical, had been dragged back by an angry hanyou. The same hanyou who didn't have the necessary patience to wait for his ramen and jerked the bag right out of her hand, throwing everything out until he found the object of his desires.
 
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome exclaimed angrily.
 
 
“What? You're too fucking slow!” he snapped, jumping to his feet and pointing an accusing clawed finger toward Kagome.
 
 
“There they go again...” Miroku sighed.
 
 
“And Kagome-chan just came back too...” Sango continued in the same tone.
 
 
“Inuyasha's an idiot.” Shippou informed the two in a low voice.
 
 
Still, no matter how low Shippou's voice was, Inuyasha's dog demon instincts were sharp and he grabbed the kitsune by the tail and glared at him viciously.
 
 
“Shippou, you little shit, I'll...” Lucky for Shippou, the hanyou stopped mid-sentence and dropped him to the ground, sniffing the air.
 
 
“What is it, Inuyasha?” Kagome asked in a worried tone.
 
 
Inuyasha ignored her question and instead rushed outside with a determined look on his face.
 
 
“What's wrong with him?” Sango wondered aloud.
 
 
“Who knows...Maybe he sensed Kikyou's scent or something...” Shippou opined, but gave a small shriek as he saw Kagome's glare and hid behind Miroku.
 
 
“Idiot, idiot, idiot...I'm such an idiot!” He scolded himself.
 
 
Kagome kept silent as she gathered her things and placed them back in the bag.
 
 
 
 
ooooOOoooo
 
Inuyasha rushed out of the hut as fast as he could when he realized who's scent he had picked up. His half-brother, Sesshoumaru, was close.
 
He got away from his friends as fast as he could, not telling them where he was going.
 
 
This was one enemy he had to face alone.
 
 
As he hurried in the direction the scent was coming from, he started to realize Sesshoumaru must be somewhere near the time-well and he started to leap faster.
 
 
His suspicions were confirmed as he saw Sesshoumaru's white form leaning against the Goshinboku tree.
 
 
Inuyasha landed right in front of his brother, growling, as he placed a hand on the hilt of Tessaiga.
 
 
Sesshoumaru didn't bother to move an inch as his golden gaze caught his brother.
 
 
“This tree. It's the place you were sealed, isn't it, little brother?” He spoke, his eyes not leaving Inuyasha's face.
 
 
“So what if it is?” The hanyou snapped, keeping a firm hand on the hilt of his sword.
 
 
“It's the place you stood for fifty years while I defended our father's lands.”
Sesshoumaru continued in the same calm voice.
 
 
“Keh, you mean to say you'd have asked me to fight at your side for the old man's lands? Give me a fucking brake...” Inuyasha spoke firmly, sustaining his brother's gaze.
 
 
“I did, little brother...” Sesshoumaru thought, remembering the scene like it was yesterday.
 
 
The panther demon tribe had attacked his father's lands. They were tough opponents and many youkai his father had rescued or otherwise helped had joined him in battle. They fought miserably and Sesshoumaru had soon found them to be a burthen rather than help. He had sent Jaken to call for Inuyasha's aid and his servant had returned with the incredible news that his half-brother had been sealed by a human priestess.
 
 
His lip curled with despise at the thought, just as it did then.
 
 
“As if you'd have a hanyou fighting at your side.” Inuyasha continued, interpreting his brother's expression wrong.
 
 
Sesshoumaru didn't bother to enlighten Inuyasha about the real passing of events and was instead examining his poison claws with attention.
 
 
“Inuyasha.” He started.
 
 
The hanyou was already in battle position, expecting his half-brother to make a move or say the word.
 
 
“What information do you have about Naraku's whereabouts?”
 
 
That seemed to take Inuyasha aback as he cast the daiyoukai a puzzled glance. His hand moved away from Tessaiga's hilt as he answered:
 
 
“We don't know where the bastard is. But it's sure enough that there's no sign of him. No youki, no scent...it's as if he's disappeared.”
 

”So you know nothing...” Sesshoumaru concluded, ignoring Inuyasha's glare.
 
 
And with that, he took to the air wordlessly leaving behind a very astonished Inuyasha.
 
 
“Keh. Conceited bastard.” The hanyou spoke as he inwardly sighed with relief.
 
Lately Sesshoumaru and him seemed to be on the same side and he couldn't help but be glad about that.
 
 
“How stupid could Naraku be, as if he didn't have enough enemies.” Inuyasha thought, while hurrying back to the others.
 
 
The fact that Naraku had managed to survive and held most of the shards, despite his many enemies, was extremely annoying though. The hanyou narrowed his eyes with a determined expression on his face. “I swear on everything I hold dear that I won't rest `till I tear you apart...” He said to himself, addressing Naraku.
 
 
 
 
ooooOOoooo
 
 
“Jaken-sama! Where's Sesshoumaru-sama?” The little girl's voice disturbed Jaken from his inner reflections (as he liked to think of it, or slumber as it's actually called.)
 
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru's whereabouts are none of your business, Rin!” The toad youkai informed her sharply, trying to hide the fact that he didn't know either.
 
 
The daiyoukai had simply instructed him to take care of Rin and then departed with the Miko. Jaken was dieing of curiosity to know where they were, but even when his master returned he was sure he would be left in the dark. Lord Sesshoumaru didn't like to explain his actions to anyone.
 
 
“Ah-Un, where do you think he is?” Rin asked the two-headed dragon hopefully.
 
 
The creature just shook both of its heads, making a low sound.
 
 
“I'm so bored, Jaken-sama!” Rin complained, finding it fit to roll on the grass.
 
 
“Just go gather flowers or something. Humans are so annoying.” Jaken replied, rolling his eyes.
 
 
“But I did that all day...” The little girl informed him in a miserable tone.
 
 
“Rin! Go disappear somewhere and leave me alone!” Jaken shouted, losing his temper.
 
 
As a reaction to his words, a rock hit him hard on the head, knocking him back.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama!” Rin chirped happily at the sight of the dog demon.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama! I, Jaken, have guarded Rin and...” His phrase was abruptly cut off by Sesshoumaru's voice.
 
 
“Silence.” he said sharply, casting his servant a glare that could have turned him into a pile of ash.
 
 
Jaken obeyed, lowering his head and trembling as he backed away from his master a few steps.
 
 
“He's in a bad mood. I wonder if the Miko got killed.” he thought almost hopefully.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, where's Miko-sama?” The little girl wanted to know.
 
 
“She has gone...home.” he answered thoughtfully.
 
 
“For good?” The little girl asked, her face bearing a worried expression.
 
“No, Rin. She will be back tomorrow.” he replied.
 
 
In that moment Sesshoumaru's two companions had two opposite reactions: Rin's face lightened up with joy and relief as Jaken's darkened in disappointment. And if there was something besides Rin's happy face that made Sesshoumaru feel good, that was Jaken's gloomy expression.
 
 
“It's not far from sundown.” The demon lord thought. “And Kagura said we are heading in the wrong direction. That must have been an allusion that we should walk the opposite way.”
 
 
“We remain here tonight.” he announced his two followers, turning away from them so he could think in peace.
 
 
“When she returns we travel in the appointed direction.” he said to himself, feeling anxious. Anxious to find Naraku of course, not to have her back...He thought.
 
 
Her absence was sort of heavy though, he had become use to her and now the lack of her scent seemed somehow wrong.
 
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head to chase the thoughts away:
 

”She is, after all, a mere human.”
 
 
 
N/A:
 
 
I know I should have said all these things earlier...but, oh well:
 
 
Dictionary:
 
 
Youkai = demon
Youki = demonic energy
Shouki = poisonous atmosphere (and sometimes liquid I think)
Taiyoukai = greater youkai
Miko = Priestess
Hanyou = half demon
Let me know if I've missed something.
 
Reviewer response:
 
 
mari: Wow...I love reading your reviews...they make me feel so good about myself! :) I give you a heartfelt thank you for them! I also appreciate the fact that you tell me exactly what you like instead of just saying “it's cool” like most people. This way I can really tell how my writing is viewed and I get the feedback that I need! Oh and I like'em long too...so...thanks! :) I'm glad I was able to help you find my story!