InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Case of Double Personality ❯ Things don't always go the way they're planned ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

N/A: This additional chapter is for mari! After the great reviews, I figured I should just sit down and write more and so I did! I uploaded both on the same day...for you! :) Hope you like`em! And...good luck with the English final...The last month has been hell on earth for me with dozens of essays to do and tests...Thank God winter break's almost here.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha...I only own Kumiko...or half of her anyway :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter X: Things don't always go the way they'replanned
 
 
“Heeeh, are you sure Kohaku-kun?” Jakotsu asked, not bothering to hide his excitement.
 
 
“Yes.” The boy answered, his empty eyes looking through Jakotsu.
 
 
“Then I'm going right away!” Jakotsu exclaimed, turning his back on Kohaku.
 
 
“Naraku wants the Miko out of the way first.” The boy reminded him.
 
 
“Hmph. I don't deal with women.” Came Jakotsu's reply as he walked away.
 
 
Kohaku remained silent. Jakotsu had asked him to pinpoint Inuyasha's location and so he did. He had no opinions, no feelings, no thoughts. The only thing he knew for sure was that he had to obey Naraku.
 
 
 
ooooOOoooo
 
 
Kumiko stopped in front of the time-well located inside the Higurashi Shrine.
 
 
She had been forced to lie to her family and tell them she would be visiting a friend for a couple of weeks.
 
 
A friend that lived in the countryside and had no phone.
 
 
Luckily, she had never given her parents reasons not to trust her, so they helped her pack her bags and didn't question her about the first aid kit that she took.
 
 
After that, she proceeded to rob the kitchen as she packed sandwiches, bags of chips and every other no-cooking-required foods she could find.
 

As she gave the fridge one last glance to see if anything else there was worth taking, her eyes stumbled upon a bottle of wine.
 
 
“Why not?” She thought, stuffing it into her bag and struggling to close the monstrous package.
 
 
When she completed the difficult operation, she hugged her parents goodbye a little more emotionally then she had wanted. The thought that she might die there and never see them again hit her painfully and tears began to flood her eyes.
 
 
“Hey, what's wrong honey? It's just a couple of weeks, right?” Her mother asked, while stroking her hair.
 
 
“Right...” she nodded weakly, trying to suppress the thought.
 
 
After that, she turned away and walked out of the house, heading for the Higurashi Shrine.
 
 
“I'm not going to die there...” she said to herself, trying to be brave. “Sesshoumaru won't let that happen...to Midoriko.” The last part of her thought depressed her again for some reason. Deep inside she knew the demon lord only cared about her other self's safety.
 
 
Kumiko took a deep breath as she plunged inside of the well. Even knowing there would be a very smooth landing, she sheltered herself with her hands while falling.
 
 
“I'm never going to get used to this.” she said to herself, sighing with relief as she experienced the familiar feeling of time-travel.
 
 
When she landed on the well's hard bottom, she grabbed her bag with both hands, performing the difficult task of hauling it up over the well's rim.
 
 
She succeeded on her third try and sighed gratefully, climbing up.
 
 
As she got out of the well, she found herself alone in the familiar clearing of the Feudal Era.
 
 
“I guess I'm early.” she thought, sitting down against the well.
 
 
“I should change into my Miko outfit...” she said to herself, while analyzing her apparel. A pair of pink warm-ups and a white tank top should look pretty weird to anyone in the Feudal Era.
 
 
Kumiko opened her huge backpack and took out the Miko clothes.
 
 
“Good thing I remembered to put them on top of all the other stuff.” She thought, picturing herself having to take everything out and then put back again.
 
 
The girl sighed with relief as she got up and took a step toward the forest in order to change. She stopped suddenly, sensing the presence of a Shikon shard.
 
 
“What luck!” she heard a voice coming from behind her.
 
 
Kumiko turned around quickly to see what appeared to be a man wearing lipstick and dressed like a female.
 
 
“Are you talking to me?” she started, unsure.
 
 
“Is there anyone else here?” he asked in a mocking tone, putting a hand on the hilt of his sword.
 
 
“I come here looking for Inuyasha and I find the golden-haired Miko that Naraku wants us to kill...Might as well take care of her.” Jakotsu thought, casting a bored glance in the girl's direction.
 
 
She took a step back, letting the Miko garb fall to the ground.
 
 
“I don't have a sword, or a bow or anything!” The girl thought desperately, wishing she hadn't left her weapons with Sesshoumaru.
 
 
“Let's get this over with quickly...I have more important things to take care of.” Jakotsu said, unsheathing his snake-sword.
 
 
“Who is this man?” The girl thought, desperately wishing for Midoriko to take over.
 
 
“This is so wrong, I always want her to do everything for me! It's no wonder Sesshoumaru prefers her...” she thought miserably, turning towards the strange man.
 
 
“Oh, you plan to fight?” she heard his amused voice.
 
 
Kumiko didn't answer as she knitted her brows, searching for anything she could use against him.
 
 
“Before I kill you, I'll give you the privilege of knowing your murderer's name.” The man said, slowly taking out his sword.
 
 
She spotted a long, sharp stick on the ground a few meters away from her and ran towards it as fast as she could. The man made no move to stop her as he raised his sword in the air.
 
 
“I'm Jakotsu of the Shichinintai.” he spoke calmly.
 
 
“Shichinintai?” Kumiko froze, with the sharp stick in her hand.
 
 
“He's one of those mercenaries, that's why he's got that corrupted shard in his neck!” she thought, her fist tightening. “If I could just stick this in his neck...”
 
 
As the thought made its way into her mind, she started to run as fast as she could in his direction, clutching the stick tightly.
 
 
“Hmph.” She heard Jakotsu's bored frown and her anger grew.
 
 
She managed to get close to him and her hand flew towards his neck, the stick radiating pinkish-white light.
 
 
Her hopes shattered as the man caught her arm with lightning speed and pushed her back, making her drop the “purifying stick”.
 
 
“I can't get off playing with women.” he informed her and the only thing she saw was the sun, reflected in his sword as he swung it.
 
 
The next moment she felt an aching pain in her whole body and fell to the ground, Jakotsu's snake-sword wrapped all around her.
 
 
The sharp blades cut through her clothes and skin and she gave a small scream, while blood poured out of her wounds and onto his sword.
 
 
She had no strength left to struggle, nor would it be any use. Movement would only make the blades sink deeper inside her flesh.
 
 
“Goodbye, Miko.” Jakotsu said, preparing to cut her into pieces with a pull of his sword.
 
 
The girl closed her eyes, breathing hard as hot tears poured down her cheeks. “I'm sorry Midoriko...” She thought miserably, while expecting death.
 
 
“Jakotsu!” A male voice shouted, making her open her eyes, hopefully.
 
 
Bankotsu had gone after his comrade, thinking that Inuyasha may reveal his brother's location. When he entered the small clearing, he froze in shock, seeing the Miko wrapped up in Jakotsu's snake-sword. He decided to ask the questions later and act quickly, if it wasn't already to late.
 
 
“Jakotsu!” The mercenary heard his leader's voice.
 
 
“Bankotsu-no-oo-aniki!” Jakotsu stopped with his hand in mid-air.
 
 
“Stand down!” Bankotsu said in a firm tone.
 
 
“Whaaat? But Bankotsu-no-oo-aniki, this is the Miko!” Jakotsu couldn't believe his ears.
 
 
“I said stand down.” The leader of the Shichinintai repeated in a calm voice.
 
 
Jakotsu knew better than to disobey his leader, especially when his voice was so calm. That only meant that he was angry.
 
 
“Oooh! I get it! You want to do it!” Jakotsu realized aloud as the blades of his sword fell limp on the ground, releasing the wounded girl.
 
 
“Go help Renkotsu deal with Kouga.” Bakontsu spoke in the same calm voice.
 
 
“You need privacy...I understand!” Jakotsu whispered in his ear, while turning away.
 
 
“And I hoped to see Inuyasha today...” he thought miserably, sheathing his sword.
 
 
“Well...another time...right, Inuyasha?” Jakotsu said to himself, smiling as he disappeared into the woods.
 
 
Kumiko was trying desperately to remain conscious although the loss of blood begged to differ. Her body was covered in wounds and her clothes were now rags, barely hanging on to her. She was breathing hard and the pain from her injuries made her change her mind about being conscious.
 
 
Bankotsu knelt besides her, gently hauling her into his arms.
 
 
“How did Jakotsu manage to do this to you, huh?” he asked in a soft tone, like speaking to a child.
 
 
Her blood spilled all over his clothes and armor as his dark blue orbs analyzed her. It was too late for regrets now, she was probably going to die. He shook his head, knitting his brows as he looked at her.
 
 
She was still conscious although she seemed in no condition to speak, as her once white skin was now red with blood. What was she wearing? The question seemed a little out of place in a time like this, but still, Bankotsu couldn't help but wonder.
Well, whatever she was wearing, it was torn to pieces, revealing a lot more than she would have wanted.
 
 
“Ooh...Nice...” He said to himself, while observing her body through the ripped fabric.
 
 
Her eyes suddenly turned to his and they seemed harder than before as she gave a faint struggle and mumbled weakly:
 
 
“Go away and let me die in peace.”
 
 
Now why did she have to say that? If she wouldn't, maybe he would have gone away and left her to die. But Bankotsu was one of those people who liked doing the exact opposite of what they were told.
 
 
In her case anyway.
 
 
“Well, you'll surely die so you might as well die painfully, having to bare my presence.” he said with a smile.
 
 
She even managed to roll her eyes at his statement before going numb in his arms. She had lost too much blood to remain conscious.
 
 
Bankotsu remained still for a second, unsure of what to do as he heard a familiar buzzing sound.
 
Naraku's poisonous insects appeared above their heads, flapping their wings in the most annoying way. Well, the time for hesitations was gone. He was now being watched and he had to kill her, if he wanted to stay alive.
 
 
His fist tightened as he stood undecided and his hand slowly reached for his Banryuu.
 
 
“She's going to die anyway...no use in me following her.” he thought bitterly, taking out his weapon.
 
 
“Stop right there, you fucking bastard!” He heard Inuyasha's bark.
 
 
“Just in time.” He sighed with relief as he saw the hanyou land between him and the unconscious girl.
 
 
Inuyasha took out his weird sword and pointed it towards Bankotsu.
 
 
“You weak-ass bastard...you're killing defenseless women now?” The hanyou spoke in a despising tone.
 
 
Bankotsu narrowed his eyes at the insult. He had never enjoyed killing women and only did so when the circumstances strongly demanded it.
 
 
“I sensed the disgusting scent of you zombies...I thought you were after us, but it seems you cowards found it more amusing to fight a woman.” Inuyasha continued, ignoring Bankotsu's glare.
 
 
“I've been called a lot of things, hanyou scum, but never a coward.” The leader of the Shichinintai spoke, his hand tightening on his halberd.
 
 
Inuyasha lost what little patience he had at the sound of Bankotsu's words and charged, swinging Tessaiga in the enemy's direction.
 
 
Bankotsu jumped to avoid it and swung his weapon as Inuyasha blocked it with his sword.
 
 
“I'll take care of this quickly.” Miroku said, preparing to unleash his Kazaana.
 
 
“Houshi-sama, don't do it!” Sango stopped him, throwing a stone into the woods and uncovering Naraku's insects.
 
 
“Damn.” Miroku said, wrapping the prayer beads around his hand.
 
 
Kagome had already gone to the injured girl's side, noticing her clothing.
 
 
“These clothes...are from my era!” She said to herself, casting the time-well a glance.
 
 
“Now's not the time to think about this.” Kagome thought, analyzing her wounds with attention. “She's badly injured...we should take her to the village, but I don't think she's in any condition to be carried...I'll go and bring my first aid kit!”
 
 
“Sango-chan, Miroku-sama! Help Inuyasha please! Shippou, come with me!” She shouted, trying to make herself heard over the sound of clashing swords.
 
 
The little kitsune followed her as she ran towards the village, leaving behind Sango and Miroku.
 
 
Bankotsu had just managed to push Inuyasha back as his fist made its way to the hanyou's face.
 
 
Surprisingly enough, the bastard packed a pretty good punch for a human, Inuyasha thought while being thrown a few feet away.
 
 
“Inuyasha!” Sango shouted, preparing her giant boomerang.
 
 
“Who's the coward now? Need a woman's help, Inuyasha?” Bankotsu mocked, casting the hanyou a triumphant glance.
 
 
“Sango, stay back! He's mine!” Inuyasha shouted, getting up quickly.
 
 
Sango stopped the attack, casting an exasperated glance towards Miroku.
 
 
“His ego is just too much sometimes.” The monk opined as Sango nodded her head.
 
 
While keeping Inuyasha at bay, Bankotsu eyed the unconscious Miko. Rivers of blood poured out of her wounds and if she wasn't tended to soon, he was sure she was going to die.
 
 
Suddenly Inuyasha stopped and Bankotsu took the opportunity to land another punch on him, sending him flying into a tree.
 
 
That seemed to have no effect on the hanyou, however, as he jumped to his feet and scanned the sky.
 
 
“Inuyasha, what is it?” Miroku asked.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru.” Inuyasha answered slowly.
 
 
Bankotsu heard the hanyou's answer and quickly placed his halberd in its sheath.
 
 
“The party's getting crowded.” He informed them. “But don't worry, Inuyasha, we'll finish this soon.”
 
 
“Wait, you bastard!” Inuyasha yelled, swinging Tessaiga in the mercenary's direction.
 
 
To his disappointment, not only was Bankotsu incredibly strong for a human, he was also incredibly fast as he disappeared into the woods.
 
 
Sesshoumaru had sensed the scent of Shichinintai, but more importantly, he had sensed the scent of her blood and that had driven him insane.
 
His form shifted into an orb of light and his speed grew exponentially as he headed towards Inuyasha's forest.
 
 
A few moments after, the ball of light landed in front of the well, taking Sesshoumaru's form.
 
 
His eyes stumbled upon a horrifying image.
 
 
She was lying unconscious in a pool of her own blood, the torn clothes barely covering her mangled body.
 
 
His eyes flashed red, as he turned around to see Inuyasha and the others casting him puzzled glances.
 
 
“Shichinintai.” He stated, not needing their confirmation.
 
 
Kagome ran back as fast as she could, dragging with her a very scared Shippou.
 
 
“Kagome, I tell you Sesshoumaru's there!” The kitsune repeated for the thirtieth time.
 
 
“I don't care, Shippou-chan! We have to get her medicine, or she might die!” Kagome replied decisively.
 
 
“Oh...In that case I must be strong.” Shippou said to himself, taking on a firm expression.
 
 
They reached the time-well in a few minutes and Kagome thought she should definitely give Shippou the “nose of the year” award.
 
Sesshoumaru was indeed standing in front of the well, his face showing extreme anger.
 
 
Kagome thought she had never seen Sesshoumaru lose control in such a way, as his eyes turned from golden to red continuously.
 
 
She hurried to the girl's side and took the disinfectant out of the first aid kit. She had so many wounds...Kagome thought, gently trying to clean them all.
 
 
Sesshoumaru made no move towards her and instead addressed his half-brother.
 
 
“Inuyasha. What happened?”
 
 
The hanyou was as astonished as everyone else, since he had never seen his brother manifest in such a way.
 
 
“Bankotsu was here...He was going to kill this woman. When we arrived she was already in bad shape.” Inuyasha said, thinking it would be best not to piss Sesshoumaru off right now.
 
 
A growl escaped the daiyoukai as he turned his eyes to the girl again. Kagome was now bandaging her wounds, but had little success as the bandages quickly filled up with blood.
 
 
“She has lost so much blood....” The inu youkai thought. “Her frail human body cannot survive this.”
 
 
Kagome was desperate. The bandages and disinfectant helped a little, but without proper medical attention, she might...
 
 
“I have to take her through the well! In my world, she'll have a chance!” She said to herself, turning her eyes towards Inuyasha.
 
 
“Inuyasha! We have to take her to my world!” She said.
 
 
The hanyou jumped into the air, landing by the unconscious girl and making a move to take her into his arms.
 
 
“No.” Sesshoumaru said firmly.
 
 
“What do you mean “no”? She will die if she is not treated!” Kagome protested in a sharp tone, forgetting for a moment who she was talking to.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru, let her take this girl! What is she to you?” Inuyasha asked, placing himself between Kagome and the daiyoukai.
 
 
If she was to return to her world...she might never come back, Sesshoumaru thought. Just why he cared about that, he didn't know and he wasn't going to question himself about it now. One thing was clear: she could not go.
 
 
“That is none of your concern.” He addressed Inuyasha, while pushing him roughly aside.
 
 
“You fucking bastard, just who do you think you are?” The hanyou growled, making a futile attempt to slash the daiyoukai's neck.
 
 
“Move.” Sesshoumaru ordered, addressing Kagome.
 
 
The Miko remained still with one hand laying protectively over the wounded girl's body.
 
 
“Inuyasha. Remove your woman. I have not the patience to deal with her today.”
 
 
Sesshoumaru warned, approaching Kagome as his claws glowed dangerously green.
 
 
“No way! She'll die, don't you get it?!” she shouted, ignoring the threat to her life.
 
 
“She will not. Now step aside.” he warned for the last time.
 
 
Kagome still stood by the girl's side, although Sesshoumaru's words had somehow reassured her.
 
 
“She will not.”
 
 
The daiyoukai had never said anything untrue and, despite the fact that they were enemies, she thought him a person that kept to his word. And he had a healing sword anyway, that would be way better than any treatment that doctors would prescribe for the girl, yet she was still unsure. After all, Sesshoumaru had proved to be a heartless bastard so many times...
 
 
“If you lay one hand on Kagome...” Inuyasha started, preparing his sword.
 
 
It seemed a fight was about to start, one more terrible than any Shichinintai could have provoked, when the wounded girl opened her eyes.
 
 
Everyone froze, turning towards her, as she spoke weakly:
 

”I'll go with Sesshoumaru...”
 
 
The daiyoukai was as astonished as everyone else when Kumiko (because it was definitely her) made her statement.
 
 
Kagome backed away, looking at the girl with puzzled eyes as Sesshoumaru hauled her up into his arms and took to the air wordlessly.
 
 
“Sesshoumaru...take that too...” her voice was a faint whisper as she pointed to a rather monstrous looking bag and the pair of Miko clothes that stood next to the well.
 
 
“Thanks for your care...” she mumbled to the others, before fainting again.
 
 
All everyone else got to see was a blur of movements and Sesshoumaru was off, above the clouds, carrying the unconscious girl.
 
 
 
Inuyasha and co. watched him disappear from their sight with puzzled eyes. Inuyasha was the first to break the annoying silence.
 
 
“Keh! Conceited prick.”
 
 
“Indeed, but why would that lovely lady prefer to go with him?” Miroku wondered aloud.
 
 
“'Cause he looks good and she probably wants to get in his pants.” Inuyasha gave his opinion.
 
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome exclaimed, seeming indignant.
 
 
“What? It's not my fault that women are like that!” The hanyou replied, sinking even deeper.
 
 
Miroku shook his head with an expression that meant “his stupidity never ceases to amaze me.” as Sango and Kagome both glared at Inuyasha.
 
 
“The truth hurts, girls.” The hanyou concluded triumphantly, crossing his arms over his chest.
 
 
“Inuyasha.” Kagome said in a soft tone.
 
 
He knew that tone too well to be fooled by it and his ears twitched at the sound of her voice, sensing the outcome.
 
 
“Osuwari.”
 
 
Inuyasha's necklace glowed purple as the hanyou hit the ground hard, his face sinking into the dirt.
 
 
“He's such an idiot.” Shippou declared, as everyone except Inuyasha nodded their heads in approval.
 
 
 
 
N/A: Hope you all liked this one...I sort of butchered her though, didn't I? Don't worry...everything happens for a reason :)