InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Child's Wish ❯ Reunited ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inuyasha. While the plot and the lovely little Takara are my creations, everything else belongs to Rumiko Takahashi. I make no profit off this, and do it only for my own enjoyment and hopefully yours.
 
Chapter 3 - Reunited
 
She didn't know where she was. The last thing she remembered was searing pain throughout her whole body. She knew she was going to die, and had begged those around her to forget about her and save her child. She couldn't bear to think that her precious baby might die with her. She also couldn't bear the sight of her Mate's pained expression, knowing as she did that she was beyond all hope. It was almost a relief when she passed out, no longer forced to see her own grief on her beloved's face. She just prayed that her child had somehow survived and that it and her Mate would find a way to live on without her.
 
The pain was gone now, though. Did that mean that she had died and was in Heaven? If that was true, what about her baby? Were they able to save her baby, or did he or she die with her? Oh Kami, and what about Inuyasha? He had been forced to go through so much pain and heartache in his life, would he be able to move on from this or would he follow her into death?
 
She had to know, but feared learning the answers. She heard voices speaking above her head, but she couldn't make out the words, except when she heard one of them say her name. Eventually gathering her courage, Kagome opened her eyes, expecting to see either the Kami, or a couple of angels, or something of that category standing above her.
 
Instead, once her vision cleared, Kagome was shocked to see the hopeful yet fearful face of Kaede kneeling above her. At the sound of movement, she turned her head just enough to see Inuyasha standing behind the elder miko, his face free of expression though his eyes held a kind of desperate hope.
 
“Inuyasha? Kaede? What's going on?” She asked in a whisper, just noticing how dry her mouth was.
 
“Kagome?” Kaede asked as if she couldn't quite bring herself to believe it. “Is that you?”
 
“Of course it's me.” Kagome said, more confused than ever. “What's going on? The last thing I remember, I was dieing, wasn't I?” Sitting up, Kagome looked down at herself, she realised that she was wearing a dirty Kimono she couldn't remember ever seeing before but was also in what appeared to be prefect health. All the wounds from her earlier battle were gone, but then again so was…
 
“Kaede, Inuyasha, what's going on?” Kagome demanded, now truly upset. “I know I was dieing a minute ago. And what happened to my…”
 
Kagome was cut off when Inuyasha's lips suddenly covered her own and his arms wrapped around her, pulling her into a crushing embrace. It was as he listened to Kagome talk that he finally let himself believe that it was really her. Now, he couldn't contain his joy at having her back and kissed her with five years worth of built up love and desire, as tears of pure joy ran down his face. He knew she was confused and in need of answers, but right now he didn't care. Right now all he wanted to do was hold her, kiss her, and convince himself that she was really here.
 
Kagome was shocked, to say the least. There was nothing gentle about his kiss or his embrace; it was passionate, desperate, as if he feared at any moment she would disappear. After a moment, Kagome gave into her own desire and kissed him back with equal passion. From her point of view, it was just a few moments ago that she had feared she was losing him forever.
 
Kaede had tears of joy running down her face as she watched the two kiss. She too was overjoyed to have Kagome back, but she saw the need the two had to be alone at the moment. So after saying softly that she would leave the two alone - knowing that Inuyasha would hear her even if he would not respond - the old woman calmly got up and left the hut. Once outside she was approached by several of the villagers who wished to know what was going on, but Kaede refused to tell them. She knew that once news got out that Kagome had somehow been returned from the dead, everyone in the village would want to talk to her, and that now wasn't the time. Now, it was time for Inuyasha and Kagome to be together, and later she suspected it would be time for Kagome to become reacquainted with Sango and Miroku, and of course for her to meet Takara. The rest of the village could just wait until tomorrow to find out.
 
###
 
Inside the hut, Kagome's need for air and answers finally forced her to break off from the kiss though she remained firmly held in her Mate's embrace.
 
“Inuyasha I don't understand.” Kagome said. “The last thing I remember was lying in this hut, hurting all over. I was sure I was going to die.”
 
Inuyasha let out a chocked sob, as he pulled her closer so that her head rested against his chest.
 
“You were right.” He softly said the words that so clearly hurt him. “You did die.”
 
Kagome gasped, whatever she had been expecting to hear, that wasn't it. “But, then how…”
 
“I don't know.” Inuyasha admitted. “I just found you down by the river unconscious earlier this morning. Also, the Jewel is gone, though I don't remember making a wish. Kaede think it might have picked up on my desire to have you back in my life and made it happen, even if I never actually wished it.”
 
Kagome was silent for a moment, trying to take all this in, before she asked the question she was dreading to have answered.
 
“What about our baby, Inuyasha?” She asked, afraid he would say it didn't survive. “What happened to our baby?”
 
“Our daughter's fine, Kagome.” Inuyasha said reassuringly. “She's with Sango and Miroku and their kids at the moment. She's not a baby anymore Kagome. She just turned five years old last month.”
 
“Five years?!” Kagome gasped out again. “I've been… gone for five years.” She couldn't bring herself to say the word `dead', knowing how much it had hurt Inuyasha to say to the first time.
 
“Yes.” Inuyasha said, that single word conveying a world of sadness.
 
“But… our daughter's okay?”
 
“Yes.” Inuyasha said again, this time his voice sounding much happier.
 
“And what about you Inuyasha?” Kagome asked, her voice small. “Are you with anybody else now?” She would not have blamed him if he was, nor would she have blamed whomever he was with. Inuyasha was beautiful, and a good Mate, any woman would be lucky to have him. She could not reasonably expect that he would remain faithful to the memory of her after she had been dead five years. Although it would kill her to see him with another woman, she had been given a second chance to know her daughter and more than anything she wanted to see her and her father happy.
 
“No, I'm not with anyone else.” Inuyasha said firmly. “How could I be, when my heart always belonged to you? It's… it's been so hard Kagome, living these last five years without you. If it wasn't for Takara, I don't think I would have been able to make it through it. She's the only thing that kept me going, that made me want to keep going.”
 
“Takara?” Kagome repeated, brightening. “You named our daughter Takara?”
 
“Of course.” Inuyasha said. “It's what you wanted to name her, right?”
 
“It is.” Kagome said. “Oh gods, Inuyasha, I was so scared I was going to lose you both. Can I see her?”
 
“Of course you can Kagome.” Inuyasha said, standing up and helping her to do the same. “Let's go do that now.”