InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Damaged Soul ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own these series
 
A Damaged Soul
 
Chapter 5
 
It was raining.
 
As simple as that.
 
Kagome pulled Shippo tighter into her arms so as to protect him from the biting cold wind. Seshoumaru had told Jaken to cover Rin with a fur pelt, so the tiny human girl was well protected too.
 
Kagome's skirt was clinging to her thighs. Her shirt was like a second skin. The wind bit at her uncovered legs, but she didn't feel it. She didn't shiver. She just walked steadily. She had wrapped her kit in a thick blanket, she had brought from her time.
 
Seshoumaru walked ahead, not at all bothered by the rain. To him it was the same thing as a sunny day. Not caring that his silky hair was getting wet, he refused to stop, even when Jaken asked him.
 
So they walked.
 
It was the middle of the day but yet the dark skies made it seem like the middle of the damn night. Kagome's eyes were blank. They had been so, ever since their encounter with Kagura.
 
The wind witch had stayed at a distance, wary of Seshoumaru. Yet that didn't stop her from making several comments, some of which raised even Seshoumaru's brows. Still he had not done anything to get rid of the female youkai.
 
They set up camp when the rain had settled slightly. Seshoumaru had thankfully chosen a dry spot. Jaken had lit the fire and Shippou and Rin had sat down together and played hand games, Kagome had taught Shippo long time back.
 
“Is there a hot spring nearby?”
 
Seshuomaru looked up, his bored expression not revealing his surprise that the miko had spoken. She had been silent the whole day.
 
“Yes.”
 
Kagome stood up, “Can you tell me the direction?”
 
Seshoumaru nodded his head towards the east, and Kagome slipped away, quietly. She made her way past the trees and when her eyes fell onto the fresh water, she hurriedly slipped out f her clothes and into the warm water.
 
It felt like heaven to her skin. Closing her eyes, she leaned back, letting the water absorb all the hurt and pain that had been festering inside her. Finally she let herself remember Kagura's taunts which had carved a bloody hole in her still raw chest.
 
“How did it feel, Kagome? How did it feel to get attacked by the one you followed around like a faithful puppy?”
 
“Did you know, he enjoyed it? Oh, yes. Everytime your blood spilled, your half breed enjoyed it. To him, every drop you bleed makes it equal to what he thinks is your hand in his beloved's death.”
 
“Where's that smile of yours now, miko? He saw you get killed, did you know that? He watched and very calmly, he watched another set of claws slash your body? Did you know that? No? Well, he did. Does it hurt that he didn't even attempt to protect you? Does it?”
 
A cold breeze stirred, chilling Kagome's blood as her soul ached with pain and loneliness. She wrapped her arms around herself, and sank into the water, only her face, above the surface. At least the water kept her warm. Suddenly, a rustling to her right, made her look in the direction of the bushes, warily.
 
Surely, it couldn't be a youkai. Seshoumaru would know of it immediately. Then it occurred to her that rain would mask the scent of a youkai.
 
Great.
 
Perfect.
 
Wonderful.
 
However, this time, she wasn't going to die without a fight. She had a baby fox demon to protect. A wave of guilt washed over her as she realized, that she had been neglecting him a lot lately.
 
Well, she'd see about that later. She stood up straight, not letting her nakedness, worry her. If it was a youkai, then it was bound to be too busy too notice whether she was nude or not, in its haste to eat her.
 
The bushes rustled again and out emerged a woman.
 
Immediately, Kagome recognized her.
 
 
Sango!
 
“Sango!”
 
The woman who'd been like a sister to her just gazed at her calmly, before uttering,
 
“Kagome.”
 
Sango walked towards the spring and Kagome's hear ached with sorrow as she realized how much she had missed her.
 
Sango just sat on the edge, dipping her feet into the water.
 
“How have you been, Kagome?”
 
Kagome looked at her, wary now. Something was not right. Sango was acing so reserved.
 
“Fine. Just fine. How about you?”
 
“Good. Actually we've been progressing really fast with the jewel. It's amazing the number of rumors that turn out to be true. And without your stumbling here and there and your fights, we've been obtaining quite a few shards.”
 
She smiled now, “Well, I've got to go. Inuyasha just wanted me to tell you that we've been doing fine without you.”
 
She stood up, and brushed the dirt from her kimono, “Goodbye Kagome.”
 
She turned to go and Kagome's voice rose, “Do you miss me?”
 
Sango looked over her shoulder, absently, “Sometimes, but like I said, without you stumbling about and needing everyone to protect you, we're way better off.”
 
She walked back into the woods, without looking back even once.
 
Kagome stared at her retreating back numbly.
 
They were happy. They were doing better without her. They never needed her. No one needed her. No one wanted her.
 
She crawled onto the bank, and huddled into a naked dripping ball, trying to contain her pain and agony inside her heart but it was too much. Her heart could only take so much.
 
She let out a cry of torment, and started sobbing hysterically.
 
She didn't notice, when a white figure appeared in front of her or when Seshoumaru picked her up and cradled her in his arms as he had done for Rin many a times.
 
She didn't notice when he placed her in her sleeping bag, near the fire, still naked.
 
She didn't notice.
 
She just cried.
 
Cried out all her pain and sorrow.
 
She didn't notice, as Rin and Shippou looked at her with tears glistening in their eyes.
 
She didn't notice when both of them curled up to her, and held onto her, trying to show her their love.
 
Finally when she slipped into an exhausted sleep, Seshoumaru glowered into the flames, fury present on his face.
 
A.N: I've got my exams and I'll try to update when I can. And another problem. If you want more chapters, you've got to give me more reviews. I mean how else am I gonna know what you think of my story. Plus it's really nice to know that people read my story and they actually like it enough to express their opinion on it. So now reviews, no chapter. Bada Bing, Bada Boom!