InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ A Way with Words ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Hmmm. . . if any of you aren't yet sure that no one besides Rumiko has the free pass to Inuyasha's ears and looking/touching everything else he may have - Tetsusaiga, amber eyes, claws, etc.- than I think you might just have to look at the nearest Inuyasha comic book to see who's name is on the cover. . .
~reviewers~
Poor, poor Inuyasha. He'll never have a peaceful meal again with Kagome "stop that, it's not nice" Higurashi around. She really needs to come up with a better argument than "it's not nice," because eventually Inuyasha's going to be like, "you know what else isn't nice? NOT LETTING THE MENTAL PATIENT EAT!" I have a theory about why he's there. The clues are all in this chapter... The absent parents, the lobotomized hospital staff, and his desire not to fall asleep- obviously Freddy Krueger's after him.;-) That or the clingy ex-girlfriend, (let's call her Kikyo) after he wouldn't talk to her anymore, did something drastic and he feels guilty because of it. (Maybe she killed herself and blamed Inuyasha in the suicide note... Or maybe she got jealous and attacked one of his friends with battery acid... Perhaps she delved into self mutilation and carved Inu + Kikyo = Love into her forehead.) I'm probably not even close with those guesses, but it's fun to speculate. It wouldn't surprise me if the dreams were just red herrings and Inuyasha's there for a completly mundane reason. Are they going to have any Hannibal Lector/Clarice Starling-esqe conversations anytime soon? Even if it's just a reference to the fava beans-Chianti line? I'm pretty sure that if I was in the mental ward, being bothered by a prying orderly who wouldn't give me my damn food, I'd try to slip in some Hannibal Lector jokes. Especially if I was cooped up in my room. I like to make my own fun.
Gotta say, this left me laughing in my chair. Eh heh! ^_^ No, Kikyo's still alive and well. She never got jealous(or if she did, she didn't show it), Yeah, it is fun to speculate, isn't it? Reason behind the dreams. . .? Oh, you'll find out. I laugh harder than ever to imagine a conversation like that. . . then I seriously consider it. Good luck making more fun - you've sure given me some.
 
AGE:
InuYasha:19
Kagome:18
Kouga:19
Naraku:19
Miroku:19
Sango:18
Keade:65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Nine: A Way with Words
 
-
 
-
 
He was unconscious in a world of sleep in minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Inuyasha. . .” hands gently but firmly shook the sleeping hanyou.
 
“Mmm. . .” Inuyasha mumbled but remained unmoved.
 
“Inuyasha. . .” shaking the hanyou harder, the voice came a little louder this time.
 
“Mmhmm. . .” Inuyasha murmured.
 
“Inuyasha! ” shaking the poor boy on the bed so hard it made it appear he was having seizers, the voice this time was almost a yell.
 
“Ehhh. . .” in reply, Inuyasha shifted and uncovered a hand that had been under his pillow. Almost in a blur, the hand came up and whapped the person on the nose.
 
Miroku stumbled back cradling the offended appendage in his hands.
 
After a few minutes of rubbing, his nose was no longer in pain but numb and the monk decided to come in a different direction.
 
“Fine then,” he mumbled.
 
He briskly walked into the bathroom before coming back with a twp-once cup - used for brushing teeth - filled with freezing cold water.
 
The monk hesitated, his hand hovering over Inuyasha's face. Was it really fair. . .? He thought about that for a second and remembered all the times the hanyou had yelled at him for no reason, poked fun at him, and even locked him out of his own house one time when they were thirteen.
 
Faster than a heart could beat, the water was promptly poured into the soft, fuzzy, sensitive ears that belonged to the hanyou.
 
Inuyasha's head shot up, his eyes flared open and he started to wildly shake his head as tiny droplets of water flew out of his irritated ears
 
“What the hell! Miroku, why'd you do something so stupid as that!” Inuyasha demanded the moment he stopped trying to clear his ears of the offending water.
 
“You wouldn't wake up.”
 
“What's with the water?!”
“What? Would you rather have sake?” Miroku asked innocently. “Or some nice, hot coffee?”
 
“Or maybe some monk on a plate,” Inuyasha ground out.
 
Miroku looked thoughtful. “Don't know exactly how you could make that into a liquid. . . or on the other hand, let me rephrase that: I don't want to know how you'd make that into a liquid.”
 
“Is there an off button on you?” Inuyasha randomly poked Miroku somewhere to find out.
 
“Oof, hey, that hurt,” Miroku grumbled as he rubbed his stomach.
 
“Let me try here.” Inuyasha stood up and poked his nurse in the eye.
 
“Ow - Inuyasha! What was that all about?!”
 
The monk slumped into the wrinkly-but-none-the-less-made bed that Inuyasha had been laying on a few moments ago and started to rub his eye that was starting to grow a bit red.
 
`Yay. . . I found it.'
 
“Here's your dinner.” Miroku practically threw the tray on his small table by the door as he hastily yanked out his keys and unlocked the heavy door blocking the exit. “And please enjoy it, I'll be back. I have to make sure you didn't rip out anything with those monstrous claws of yours. . . oh! And then you get to visit Sango.” With that, the door swung shut and Miroku fled.
 
Inuyasha stared at the door for a few seconds. Wimp. He'd barely touched that eye; it was more a brush than a poke.
 
Might as well take advantage of the. . . only kami-sama knows how long it would be until Miroku came on bustling to take him to the psycho-atrist.
 
In a matter of seconds, Inuyasha had a healthy meal in his stomach and he was resting on his bed gazing at the ceiling, mentally counting the seconds.
 
*
 
*
 
“A hundred percent?”
 
“Yes, it barely scratched the surface.”
 
“You said a moment ago there was nothing wrong!”
 
“There isn't!”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yes!”
 
“How do I know you're not trying to trick me and steal something from me?”
 
“What do you have on you?” the nurse mused.
 
Miroku gave her a look. “A patient.”
 
“I know, we've met and already got acquainted, remember?” Kagome asked.
 
“Yeah. . .” He paused as he looked at the ground before shooting his gaze up so quick, Kagome had to wonder if he'd given himself whiplash. “A hundred percent sure?”
 
“Yes, Miroku,” Kagome said in exasperation. “There is not one thing wrong with that eye.”
 
“There might be a deadly disease going in iy as we speak!” Miroku cried.
 
“If there was, it wouldn't already be white again, now would it?”
 
Miroku blinked. “It is?”
 
“Duh.”
 
“I want proof.” Miroku stated as he held out his hand expectantly.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes but reached in her pocket and pulled out a small black rectangle. She looked at it - probably to make sure it was what she was looking for - before she held out her hand.
 
Miroku cautiously took it and rolling it over in his hands. “What is it?”
 
“Oh for goodness sakes!” Kagome didn't even take it from him but popped it open with him still holding it. A mirror.
 
“Oh. . .”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. Guys could never be depended on, could they. . .?
 
“Is this for make-up?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes again before answering, “Yeah, but I don't use make-up. It's for emergencies.”
 
“Like now? Wow, you're dependant.”
 
“No, emergencies. Like, when someone eye is falling out, or someone won't get a shot unless they can see where the needle's going.”
 
Miroku's face lit with realization before darkening when he realized what she said was kind of an insult.
 
“I'm not a baby,” Miroku casually stated as he pulled up his eyelid to get a better look at his eye.
 
“I never said you where, but thanks for making it clear.”
 
Miroku snapped the mirror shut and extended his hand, now knowing his eye was currently still working and healthy looking. “I have a patient to look after.”
 
“Fine with me.”
 
Miroku turned and took about ten steps before he turned. “Patient's ward - this way,” he mumbled as he turned around and passed Kagome again.
 
“And hello again to you, too.”
 
Miroku smiled - saying he meant to go that way - and took another step, before accidentally forgetting to lift his foot and missing a step, causing him to topple over.
 
Kagome sighed as she walked over to examine his new `damage'.
 
*
 
*
 
`Three thousand two hundred and fifty-six, three thousand two hundred and fifty-seven. . .'
 
Inuyasha rolled over to look out the window. `Three thousand two hundred and fifty-eight. . . '
 
How long would it be?
 
`Three thousand two hundred and fifty-nine. . .'
 
Long, he could have his fiftieth birthday in here and that damn monk would still be whining about his eye.
 
`Threethousand two hundred and sixty. . . '
 
He suddenly bolted up into a sitting position when he heard the door opening. Finally! Miroku was. . . not there at the door, though.
 
“What's up?”
 
“The sky, but I can't see that; so I guess it's the ceiling.”
 
Kagome tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Ready to go?”
 
Inuyasha glared “ `Go' where?”
 
“To Miss Sango's.”
 
“Where's Miroku?”
 
“Oh, he fell.” And the way she said made it sound like it explained the world.
 
Inuyasha stood up. “Fell? What's with that?”
 
“He claims he broke his foot.”
 
“Did he?”
 
Kagome shook her head, “No, I'm pretty sure he just bruised it if he even hurt it.”
 
“Oh. . .”
 
Kagome shifted her weight so she was putting most of the pressure on her right leg before continuing. “It might be a while before Miroku is good to go in his opinion, so I'll be taking you to Sango's.”
 
Inuyasha sighed before walking over to the door the nurse had opened for him.
 
They walked in silence for a few seconds before Kagome broke out into a smile. “So, what do ya do with Sango?”
 
Inuyasha resisted the temptation to give her a dirty look. He didn't like the way that was worded. . .
 
“Nothing,” he replied after a moment, apathetically.
 
“ `Nothing'? She has to do something, she's a psychiatrist! It's her job to help you.”
 
“She may try to help me, but it ain't working.”
 
Kagome nodded in understanding. “So it seems that she's doing nothing, but really she can't understand you.”
 
“Yeah, that's exactly it!” Inuyasha nearly exclaimed.
 
There was a moment's pause before he suddenly stopped and looked at Kagome with a weird, scrunched up face.
 
“What?”
 
“How'd you do that?” Inuyasha cautiously asked.
 
“Do. . . what?” she asked just as hesitantly.
 
“How'd you figure it out without knowing much about me?”
 
“Um. . . talent?”
 
Inuyasha scowled. “Whatever.”
 
He marched off in a sulk. Kagome blinked before sprinting to catch up with him.
 
Turn after turn, corner after corner. The walk seemed to take an eternity - but alas, like any voyage, this one ended no differently and before he knew it, he was standing in front of the door leading to Sango's wacky-ward.
 
“So. . . are you going to sit here and admire the door or are you going to go on inside and get cracking on solving your mystery?”
 
“Keh!” He shoved the door open and stormed in - but not before sticking his tongue out at Kagome in an immature way.
 
The door closed without him even touching it - due to its weight - and Inuyasha looked to see Sango put down her pen she had been using to fill some papers and smiled up at the hanyou. “So, how've you been?”
 
Inuyasha nodded - not really answering her question - before walking over and plopping himself in an overstuffed chair.
 
“Yes? You're doing yes? Does that mean good?” Sango asked as she stood up to get closer to her patient.
 
“Whatever.”
 
“Well, you seem to have a way with words,” Sango said a bit sarcastically as she sat down across from him and crossed her legs.
 
“You seem to have a way with getting on people's nerves,” he replied simply.
 
“Yeah. . . kinda guessed that after our first session. . . but it was worth it. I discovered you were depressed.”
 
Inuyasha slapped his forehead before leaning back in his seat in exasperation. “Forget it. . .” he mumbled.
 
“Okay, so what are we going to do about your problem? I know! We can play a game.” Sango seemed proud of herself for suggesting it.
 
“What type of game?” Inuyasha questioned uncertainly.
 
“Here's how it goes: I'll say something like. . . what I used to do with my family - play board games, video games, physical games, or whatever - and then you'll tell me what you did based on that topic.” She beamed - obviously pleased with the thought that it would work.
 
Too bad it wouldn't.
 
“Okay, usually, on vacation, I went to the beach with my family. What did you do?” Sango asked as her serious-down-to-earth face appeared.
 
“Never went on vacation - my mom gets sunburned too easily.”
 
“Oh. . .um. . . I have a mother, father and a little brother. . . oh! And a cat.”
 
“Mother, father, brother.”
 
“Oh. . . um. . . my cat's name is Kirara, she's a youkai, my brother loves to learn about youkai exterminating. . . actually, my whole family does. My mother is getting sick a lot lately, my father is getting old but still strong and I'm a big support to them all. My family always stick together. . . it really helps.”
 
Inuyasha blinked, “My mother's famous, my father's famous, my brother's famous and I'm famous - was,” he automatically corrected.
 
`Maybe this wouldn't work,' Sango thought as she continued.
 
“Uh. . . when I was little all I wanted to be was a nurse. But it was frowned upon in my family. . . kinda.”
 
“Became what I wanted to be.”
 
`No, it wouldn't work.'
 
“I. . . went to six different schools - then I was accepted as an apprentice here by Mr. Dai.”
 
“Home schooled,” Inuyasha answered simply.
 
“Erm. . .”
 
She was befuddled at what to say next when everything she did backfired.
 
“I was never depressed in my life,” she accidentally said. The minute the last syllable left her mouth, she mentally berated herself.
 
There was a pause and Sango was seriously considering saying something else, but Inuyasha looked her in the eye and replied, “Neither am I.”
 
*
 
*
 
“So, you're sure?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Hundred percent?”
“Two hundred percent.”
 
Miroku hesitated, that was really certain. “Three hundred percent?”
 
Kagome gently smiled. “Yes, it's barely bruised let alone broken.”
 
Miroku weighed the chances of his foot - which he was standing on - being broken. He looked down at it. It wasn't bent or anything, but he'd rather be safe than sorry.
 
“You're sure?”
 
Kagome smiled before replying, “Yes.” Her voice was calm, neutral. For the past hour, he'd been going at it like this.
 
“Well, okay.” He turned and took one step before whirling around. “You sure you don't need x-rays?”
 
Kagome ran her top teeth over her bottom lip. “Yes.”
 
“O. . . kay.” He turned and walked out the door.
 
Kagome flopped down in her chair and rubbed her forehead. Miroku could be annoying at times. . .
 
“Oh, Kagome.”
 
“No, it's not broken,” Kagome called to the person in exasperation automatically.
 
Miroku blinked. “Actually, I wasn't going to ask that.”
 
Oh. . . Okay then, continue.”
 
“You know how you've been really taking care of Inuyasha?”
 
“Yeah. . .”
 
Kagome didn't like the way this was going.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
Well, how ya'll doing? Um. . . this may seem like a cliffhanger, and I guess it is, I'm just can't write much more or the chapter'll never end! ^_^
 
Ja ne.