InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ The One Question Game ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Okay, I've decided that in my hyper state, I would sing the disclaimer. Ready? Ah-one, ah-two, ah-shed-a-li-di-da-le-doo(forgive the spelling): Who's the owner of Inuyasha? (Who? Who?) Who's his owner, oh me. (Who, who, who?) Who's the owner of Inuyasha? Who, oh, who, indeed? Her name is R-U-M-I-K-O! Yes! She's the owner of Inu. (Inu) She's the owner of Inu, and I envy her so, so. (So, so, so)
 
AN: ^_^;; Please ignore the weirdness in my disclaimer. I was on a sugar high when I wrote it and I'm too lazy to change it.
 
~reviewers~
I don't know why, but when Miroku was telling his story about his sick mother I kept picturing that episode of the Simpsons where Homer was trying to get back a nasty letter he sent Mr. Burns ("Hello, my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a letter for me." "Okay, Mr. Burns, uh, what's your first name?" "...I don't know."). I can't believe Kagome fell for it, I hope she never gets an Autistic patient (Autistic people can be very good liars). I wonder if anybody will be able to convince her that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary. But I'm glad someone finally noticed that some of the staff aren't competant. I felt like I was taking crazy pills for a while. So, when Miroku "almost" broke his leg, was he leaning against the door to eavesdrop on Inuyasha's session with Dr. Dumpington (maybe to find out a certain qua... er, intern's feelings for him. He seems smart enough to figure that a doctor would tell their patient something like that)? Because if so, that's a pretty big ethics violation right there, it could get him fired. And if not, he should know better than to lean on a door that's about to be opened. Either way, he probably shouldn't be responsible for the well being of a pet rock, much less a mental patient. Wow, Inuyasha sure sleeps a lot in this story. Does he have mono or is he just really bored (I imagine it's boredom)? So... four days of cold food for Inuyasha. It might be worth the effort to smuggle in a microwave. One question though, during Kagome's conversation with Miroku, she mentions that if she keeps taking care of him that Inuyasha will get into even more trouble with Kaede. Why would he get in trouble? It's not like he has any control over what goes on in his life, or who takes care of him while he's there. Is Kagome being overly paranoid, trying to get Miroku to stop palming Inuyasha off on her, or is Kaede the type who always sides with staff over patients? I've met doctors like that, who believe if there's a violation that the patient must be at fault, irregardless of what logic says. I could see any of these choices being in character, even on the show Kaede seems like the type who'd think that... She's very smug, but hides it well. Even in this fanfic she's a little like that, I'm thinking of the "respect me, I'm old", and "made up saying about fools and the foolish" parts here. I mean really, "never get fooled by the foolish" doesn't even show up in Google.
Kagome may seem gullible, but. . . I guess it's all part of her character. Mmm. . . maybe Miroku was. . . but, seeing as he's a pervert, I wouldn't put it past him. He can be dense, but we love anyway. . . sometimes. Inuyasha sleeps a lot because he's living in his own Boresville. I imagine by the end of this fic, Inuyasha will look back and chuckle at the “four days of cold food” incident and maybe. . . just maybe. . . think of how great it was it was to have such a `nice' nurse take care of him. And Inuyasha would get in trouble for being near Kagome or her taking care of him because of the “Koga incident.” Even though he didn't have anything really to do with it. ^_^ Yes, I agree, she seems to want to be in charge every minute of the day for no reason - maybe to feel batter about herself. . .? The “foolish” saying? LoL! She was probably secretly bragging about her knowledge on people who act like fools. I sure as hell wouldn't put it past her!
 
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Eleven: The One Question Game
 
-
 
-
 
“Oh, hell, no!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome felt crappy. Worse than crappy. She was tired. But, putting on the most real looking and cheerful smile she could, she walked on over to the horrified hanyou and extended her hand so he could take his tray.
 
Instead, however, his expression hardened and he narrowed his eyes in a vicious glare, “I still want to know exactly why you're here.”
 
Kagome's wrist snapped back so fast, some of the juice in the cup sloshed onto the softly carpeted floor.
 
“I told you! I here to take care of you- - -”
 
“While Miroku's away. Yeah, yeah. Blah, blah to you, too. But details. Where is Miroku?”
 
“He had urgent business, so he turned to me to take care of you while he went away for a short time.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes glazed with suspicion. “How long is this `short time'? Where is his business? What is his business? If it doesn't have to do with a girl, than I don't think it's that important to him.”
 
Kagome looked like she was having trouble keeping back a smirk at that comment. “What makes you think that?”
 
“I know how his mind works.” He folded his arms behind his head and let his eyes droop in a lazy fashion.
 
“Is that so?” Her bright blue eyes twinkled with mischief as she sat at the foot of the bed - his breakfast tray on a nearby stand seemingly forgotten.
 
Inuyasha didn't even bat an eye at the added pressure near his feet. “Yep.”
 
“You sure. . .?” Kagome smirked at her own devious plan of annoying the hanyou.
 
“Yeah. . . actually, I think so. . . I know he groped every nurse at least once.”
 
Kagome did her best to keep from doing from doing what was called `the face fault' to anime fans. “He didn't grope me!”
 
Inuyasha merely shrugged indifferently. “He gives the new nurse and female employees at least a week to adjust before he attacks.”
 
“Great,” Kagome groaned. “Now I'll be watching my back and looking over my shoulder every ten seconds.”
 
“Didn't I just say that he won't strike for a while?”
 
“And what happens when that `while' is over? What happens next week?”
 
Inuyasha finally opened his bright amber gaze to look her in the eye. “He won't do anything serious - I already told you that. He'll wait awhile.”
 
“Oh. . .” she practically squeaked. “Now I feel better. In only a few days I could have a stalker.”
 
“Then again,” Inuyasha mused, “he only does it to pretty girls.”
 
“E-excuse me!? You can't believe I'm that unattractive!”
 
“Mm, maybe.”
 
Kagome swallowed the insult that was burning her throat when she saw the playful glint in his eyes. “Uh-huh, and I suppose you're not ugly.”
 
“Wh-what? Ugly?! Keh! Shows what you know. Girls kill for this face.”
 
Kagome snorted. “Really now?”
 
“Yep.”
 
“Mm-hmm. Keep dreaming, dog-boy.”
 
“A dog-boy? That's the worst you can come up with?”
 
“Either that or lowlife.” Kagome blinked innocently.
 
“. . .You suck at name-calling, anyone ever tell you that?”
 
“Nah, no one really cared.”
 
“Nice. . . any chance I could get you to. . . oh, I don't know, maybe go away?”
 
“Ha! Nice try. I'm not that easy to get rid of.”
 
Inuyasha's response was a groan. “How long are you going to torture my poor ears?”
 
“Long enough. . . Hey, Inuyasha?”
 
“Wha?”
 
“If- if you don't mind, I'd like to know something.”
 
“What?”
 
“Can I ask you a question?”
 
Inuyasha groaned again. “You just did.”
 
“Another.”
 
“Whatever.”
 
“What. . . exactly. . .” she stopped, hesitated, thought the question over, and began again. “Why are. . . you here?”
 
“Not a subject to be touched,” Inuyasha snapped bitterly.
 
“Of course, I totally respect that!”
 
“Keh. . . it's not even my fault. . .”
 
“What? What isn't your fault?” Kagome murmured back.
 
She did it. It's her fault.”
 
“Who?”
 
“Keh. . . a friend, you could say.”
 
“A. . . female. . . friend?”
 
“Yeah.” His answer was so quiet, Kagome had to lean forward to catch it.
 
“Was she pretty?”
 
“I guess.”
 
“Was she smart?'
 
“Not too much.”
 
“What did she look like?”
 
Inuyasha turned to look at her. “Didn't I tell you that it was an untouchable subject?”
 
“Can I at least ask you something and get a truthful answer?”
 
His glare was one of suspicion.
 
“One question, one answer.” Kagome promised.
 
“One.”
 
“Okay, did. . . did this girl. . . um. . .” Kagome fumbled a little before she seemed to decide what it was she wanted to say. “Well, okay. Can you tell me, when you trust me, what happened?”
 
“. . .Yeah, sure.”
 
Kagome bounced excitedly. “Do you trust me now? Enough to tell me?”
 
“One question, wench,” Inuyasha teased.
 
“But. . . but. . .” Kagome opened and closed her mouth, much resembling a fish.
 
“I already answered one question, isn't that what you promised?”
 
Kagome suddenly slammed her jaw shut, and Inuyasha could practically see the light bulb blinking above her head.
 
“What?”
 
“Okay, we'll play your game.”
 
“What game?” Something in her head must have broken. . .
 
“Every time I bring your meal, you answer a question. One question.”
 
“What?! I won't do something so stupid as that!”
 
“Or else,” Kagome continued, ignoring his rants.
 
“Or else what?”
 
“Or else you won't get your meals.”
 
“Keh! That's abuse, wench.”
 
“And I'll let you call me names.”
 
“What do you mean `names?' ”
 
“Exactly what I said, you can call me. . . wench.”
 
“Keh! I'll call you whatever I want with or without your approval.”
 
“Then no meals. You'll starve.”
 
“Fine!” Inuyasha barked. “One question. One!”
 
“I knew you'd see it my way.” Kagome sounded like a purring, content cat as she stood up.
 
“What `way' are you talking about?”
 
“Let's change the subject: did you know I've been here for half-an-hour?”
 
“. . .That was it? That's all the time you've been here? I could've sworn it was longer.”
 
“Time to go.” Kagome waved as she left and shut the door.
 
As she walked down the halls to the cafeteria, she smiled a genuine smile.
 
`He cheered me up. I felt crappy, and he made me better.'
 
It seemed true, a luster loomed around her and she felt she could fly to the moon and back.
 
`He's different, but maybe we could be friends. Maybe. And maybe he'd trust me enough to tell me more about what happened. I don't want him hurting like that.'
 
“I find myself wanting to know him. Weird. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea, Miroku. . .” Kagome softly muttered as she entered the noisy cafeteria.
 
Maybe. . . and maybe not.
 
`Maybe I could bring something fun for him to do sometime, too.'
 
Maybe.
 
He probably wouldn't appreciate it, but she felt it was the right thing to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Sorry, it's short. I know it is. But it's better than nothing, right?
 
Ja ne!