InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Feudal Fairytale: The Begining ❯ "Rin, don't cry." ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

As soon as Sesshoumaru awoke, he felt the now familiar pain attack him. It was worse this time, but nonetheless, he tried to sit up, and nearly blacked out yet again. The pain was so intense; he may as well just sleep through it. But something woke him up every time, something that didn't want Rin to be alone. He quivered violently.
He was, in fact, surprised to be alive. He paused for a moment and wondered if he even was alive, but then he felt something move near his chest, so he stopped his mental rambling. 'The world is full of surprises, is it not? First being attacked-and nearly killed-by a wolf demon. Then waking up in a strange hut-in a human village, no less. And now finding something has been next to me for Buddha knows how long.' Taking a deep breath, he forced his eyes open, and there, curled in a ball was Rin.
Her face was buried in the pelt his father had entrusted to him, and she was crying in her sleep. His breath caught. She had stayed with him, and with a quick glance around the room, he found that no one else had. There could only be one reason as to why she did that, and he didn't exactly want to consider it at the moment. Knowing his luck something very bad would happen is he tried to say anything to her about it.
He felt his head fall back to his pillow. He thought, 'what is she doing here? And why is she crying?' His eyes were drifting closed, and he was nearly asleep when Rin stirred, and he realized she was not asleep. Far from it actually, she had stayed with him the entire time he was unconscious and never slept a moment.
She shivered and muttered, "Lord Sesshoumaru, are you awake?" He took a deep breath and answered, "Yes Rin I am awake, but not for very long," At the sound of his voice, her head snapped up, tears lining her eyes, "I'm sorry Lord Sesshoumaru, I-" but he cut her off with a finger to her lips, "No Rin, it's not your fault. Now go to sleep, understood?" Gently, Rin pushed his finger away from her soft, sculpted lips. "Please listen, Lord Sesshoumaru." She said, frowning. Sesshoumaru gave her a questioning look, suddenly feeling very weak.
"It's entirely my fault. I brought you here instead of back to the castle. I didn't even think. I just went running to Kaede. I'm so sorry Lord Sesshoumaru. Really, I am." Rin apologized looking at the floor. A few silvery drops fell onto Sesshoumaru's kimono. He chuckled, regaining enough strength to raise a hand to caress her face. "Rin, don't cry." He said. "I understand. You were scared, and in your position, I probably would be too." She wiped the tears off of her face. "Really?" She asked softly.
Sesshoumaru smiled. "Really." He confirmed. "Now Rin, please, if not for you, for me, go to sleep."
She nodded and curled back up and buried her face in the pelt once more.
Sesshoumaru, however, did not fall asleep just yet. He tried to inch away from her so he could sit up without disturbing her. He needed to reflect after that conversation. But he was not-very-shocked to find he could hardly move. So he decided to go to sleep. He lay there for a while, thinking. 'Rin cares for me. Why does that sound so easy to believe? It couldn't be-no, it's not like that. It never will.'
Rin stirred and he was snapped out of his mental interrogation. He calmed a bit after a moment and started to drift off to sleep. The last thing he heard was Rin muttering in her sleep, "Lord Sesshoumaru...."