InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ a forgotten love and a forgotten child ❯ A smile bright as red paint ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chp. 13- A smile bright as red paint.



~~~~~


“So ye say she’s mute, eh?” An old priestess said as she lifted the young child’s face. Miroku nodded “That’s the conclusion we’ve come to”
“So what to ye plan to do with this child?” Lady kaede the priestess of the village asked. “we were hoping you would know.”

Their voices faded away as kaida starred off into nothing. Her green eyes wondered off into space not really thinking “This child is rather odd…” spoke kaede. “um she has her moments” spoke up shippo, defending his friend.

Kaede made a fast movement with her hand, surprisingly kaida followed it. “she’s a quick one as well. Though she seems off-centered”

“She is rather off-centered” agreed miroku. Shippo shook his head “She’s not off-centered…she’s just confused is all”. Miroku patted his head. “So since we’ve come to the point that she’s off-centered” spoke sango a bit annoyed they had come to this conclusion “What are we to do with her? Find her real family?”

Kaede shook her head “I doubt this child even has I family…”. Shippo thought for a moment remembering the other day down by the pond. “Wait! I think I have a clue on something”. “what is it shippo?” asked sango. “Well the other day I took her to the pond, she seemed to react when I said something.”
“what do you mean, young one?” asked kaede. Everyone put their attention to the young fox demon. “Well I was talking and all of a sudden she got excited and kept pointing at me. I can’t figure out though what it was that I had said…”. Everyone quickly turned to the child. “Think shippo, what was it that you said” demanded miroku. Shippo pondered “I was asking her if she could write her name in the sand…and the she just went ballistic!”

It seemed odd that a young child would go crazy over nothing. Over simply writing names on the sand. There had to be something that had triggered her actions. Something that shippo had said. “Well we need to trigger her memory” spoke kaede. “Trigger her memory?” asked sango a bit confused. “Yes, if he can get her to remember something important there’s a strong chance she will speak”. they all turned to the young child in hope.



(*)____Inu’s p.o.v.___(*)

Kuso! I’m not going to find her here…her scent isn’t anywhere in the city…Inuyasha sat at the top of the tallest skyscraper overlooking Tokyo. His daughter was no where to be found. Only if he knew she wasn’t in the present…she was in the past. Even if I do find her…will I return her to kagome? Keh! She’ll lose her again!…if only I had been there none of this would have happened.


Inuyasha jumped across the skyscrapers heading back to Higurashi Shrine. Maybe there was news of the child. Maybe not but there was only one way to find out. Go back to the shrine and peek through the windows in search of kagome or anyone who was speaking of the missing child. Inuyasha stopped in an alley. “hmm?” he walked towards a telephone pole. There stapled on a white sheet was a picture of a small child, hair a silvery white and eyes an apple green. It was a picture of kaida with red words written on top. Missing Child. in big black bold words. Information about her was typed under her picture. Inuyasha ripped of the flyer from the pole studying it. He used his reading skills kagome had thought him years ago. From what little he knew kagome’s number was written on it under the information and something about the Department of Missing Children. “I really have to find her now..” he said dropping the flyer to the floor and dashing off. “There’s gotta be one place where I haven’t checked…it sounds unbelievable but there’s no hurt in trying”



***



Her eyes concentrated on a stand of food in the middle of the village where the villagers did their shopping. Her tummy grumbled and she placed her small hands upon it as if she hadn’t ate in days, in fact she had just eaten earlier today. Some strange white stuff in some weird soup thing. It tasted funky but nit kept her tummy full. She felt so strange among all of these people. Yet they didn’t stare at her. They didn’t point and whisper amongst each other. Perhaps they were so used to seeing a certain Hanyou. They didn’t mind another. She looked as people passed on by. Her eyes filled with curiosity. People were everywhere. Shopping, selling, talking amongst themselves. It reminded her of the markets back at home. The downtown markets in Okinawa where her mother had taken her last summer. Okinawa what a beautiful place.
The people past on by smiling at her or completely ignoring her. She didn’t mind. Everything was so new to her, she wanted to learn more but at the same time she wanted to get away from it all. She walked around the middle of the village. Watching the villagers in the markets and covering her nose when the nasty smell of fish hit her delicate nose. She stared at them bug eyed as if they were huge monsters out to get her. The large red fish with huge yellow eyes. They scared her as they hung upside down in a particular stand. The smell of raw fish was unbearable making her gag. Kaida shook off the feeling of vomiting and walked away. To stop by a toy stand. An old man in a top knot and dark blue and light blue kimono was selling wooden toys. Each one of them appealed to their nature. Looking bright in their luscious paint. She looked at all the colors bringing back the memories of that small market in Okinawa. She ran her small fingers along the sides of a wooden horse painted in red paint. It was so keen, she wanted to have it.

“Like the red horse do you?” the old mad asked polishing another wooden toy. Kaida stepped back timidly, nodding slowly. The old man smiled “Yes, the red horse it is beautiful”. Kaida was taken back. She expected him to yell at her and shoo her away as if she was a pest, like the old woman back in the fruit stand but he didn’t. He was so humble and kind to make a conversation with her. “Go ahead pick it up and try it out” he smiled at her. His eyes squinted when he did so and his grey mustache spread wide along with his smile. Kaida looked at him “Go on little one” he said. Kaida slowly reached out for the toy. Touching it gently and picking it up. Her eyes shone as the bright paint glimmered on the horse. The old man chuckled. “I say, that is my last red horse…do you really like it?”
Kaida nodded with a smile. The old man chuckled once more. “Tell me little one, what is your name?”
Kaida opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. The old man’s smile fade half away. Realizing the child could not speak. Yet he smiled at her once more “Don’t worry” he said setting down a polished toy. “One day.”
Kaida set her eyes back down at the horse. “Would you like to buy it?”
She smiled and nodded once again, setting the horse down and jamming her small hands into her kimono pockets. Pulling out nothing her face spread with disappointment. “No money, huh?”
She shook her head putting the red horse back in place. “Why not ask your mother to buy it for you?”
Kaida set her glance down to the floor in sadness. The old man felt guilt, the child had no mother around. But she had to have a guardian if she was still alive. Though she was so small and scrawny it seemed unbelievable.
She waved goodbye and walked away “Hold on there little one” the old man called after her. Kaida stopped looking back. “I have a lot of work you see and I can’t do it all on my own. If you help me and do a good job I will let you have the red horse. What do you say?”
The young hanyou nodded racing back to the old man’s side.


***

The sun was just a few hours from setting and sango walked through the village. The young hanyou had gone missing earlier today. Shippo went down by the pond to look for her and miroku lagged behind just in case she went back to the small hut.
“where do you think she is kirara?” sango asked her feline companion. Kirara meowed once jumping onto sango’s shoulder.
Sango and kirara entered the market square. The sights and the sounds surrounded them.

“There you go!” said an old man’s voice. This caught sango’s attention and she turned around. Sure enough there she was. The young hanyou child all covered in colorful paint. Smiling brightly right beside an old man who only had paint on his hands. Sango gasped.
There it was something she thought she would never see. The child’s smile. It was bright and beautiful. Gorgeous.

She approached the stand, watching as the child raised her hands up showing a strange colored rabbit to the old man. He laughed “Good job little one. Good job” he patted her head. She smiled setting the wooden rabbit down on the table with other odd and regular colored wooden toys. “You did wonderful if I do say so myself”

“There you are” spoke sango with a smile. The child and the old man looked to find a beautiful young woman with a warm smile. “I’ve been looking for you all day”
Kaida smiled.
“Hello there Mister.” sango greeted the old man. ”Hello missy. So I see you know this little one” he smiled looking back to the child. “Is she yours?”
Sango blushed lightly “well, sorta”
The old man chuckled “I hope you don’t mind, but she stopped by my stand hours ago. Looking to buy a red horse but she was kind enough to stay and help me paint a couple of toys.”
Sango chuckled “No its fine. On the contrary”
The old man smiled “She is a really bright child”. Sango nodded “Yes, she is.”
The old man turned back to the little girl “Well little one, its time for you to go back home. Thank you for the help”. Kaida looked disappointed the fun was over but she smiled. “Come on darling” sango smiled picking up the child in her arms.
“Good bye little one” the old man said shaking the child’s small hand “it was a pleasure meeting you”
“Thank you” spoke sango “I hope she wasn’t trouble for you”
“Of course not. I enjoy some company” the old man smile.
Kaida nodded and waved goodbye as sango carried her away. She was only a couple of steps away when the old man called out to her. “Hmm?” sango turned back setting the child down. Kaida quickly ran to the old man. “Here you go, as promised” he said bringing out from behind him the bright red horse.”
Kaida’s eyes shone as she ran into the old man’s arms. Hugging him. He chuckled “Thank you little one but run long now your mother must be waiting for you” he said patting her head. Kaida took the toy, quiet grateful and retreated waving at the old man.

Sango took her hand and they headed back ton the small hut.