InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Returning to Change ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A searing pain, not one from a bruise when touched or a deep wound. But one in his soul and his heart. The image of those sad brown eyes, and wisps of raven hair was burned into his eyelids. He could not escape his guilt through day nor night. Why had he let her go, his tortured mind would ask. Why. A top his silver head, two white dog ears perked at the sound of approaching footsteps. He paused his thoughts, as a familiar scent filled his nose, and a scowl crossed his features.



“ I told you Monk, I don’t need your sympathy," Inuyasha growled, not even glancing back to look at his friend. Miroku heaved a heavy sigh, and took a seat beside the hanyou.



“ Inuyasha, it is pointless to just sit here, and watch the well, she won’t come back, she just won’t”.



“ It’s been six years, how much longer do you plan to wait?," The monk asked, his gaze turning to the well Inuyasha watched so intently.



“ I will wait as long as it takes, the time will come, and she will return, so I will wait," Inuyasha replied stubbornly. Miroku shook his head, and clabbered to his feet, approaching the old well. He leaned over the side staring into it’s depths, he eyed the hanyou, who watched him fervently with intense golden eyes.



“ Why not go and get her, instead of waiting around, because I know she’s not going to come back herself," Miroku mused, studying Inuyasha’s physic. He sat down on the well’s edge, waiting for a reply, but only got a growl. Inuyasha realized then the monk spoke the truth, and he foolishly spent six years waiting for Kagome to return.



“ Fine then, I will go... but I’m not coming back," He replied, swiftly getting to his feet. Miroku raised a questioning brow.



“ What do you mean, do you intend to stay in Kagome’s time?," He asked. Inuyasha nodded firmly, and jumped to land beside Miroku on the well. He looked at the monk with determination, and held out his hand to him, balancing on his edge. Miroku took it wearily.



“ Monk, you take care of Shippo and Sango, and yourself of course," The hanyou all but demanded. Miroku nodded, his attention draw to the glittering Shiko no tama, that hung around Inuyasha’s neck. Beautiful in it’s entirety. Miroku dropped his grasp from Inuyasha’s hand, and smiled.



“ All right, you take care as well," He replied, standing to step back from the well.



“ Right, good-bye Miroku," Inuyasha said. He smiled then, something he had not done in six years, as he jumped into the well, letting the darkness swallow him.










The door bell rang, surprising a certain brown eyed girl, as she stumbled towards her apartment door. She opened the door, and smiled graciously at the man who stood in a tan jump suit, with a clip board in his hands.



“ We have your furniture here, Miss Higurashi," The man said, reading a sheet on his clipboard. Kagome smiled, taking the board when he handed it to her, to initial her name, then handed it back.



“ Great, if you could just bring it in, then I can direct you to where it belongs," Kagome replied, holding open the door. Her eyes sparkled with delight as she watched her new things be brought in.





It seemed to take forever to move in everything and put it in the right spot, and Kagome was relieved when it was all through.



“ Thank you so much for your help," She said again, as she ushered the men from her apartment. They all nodded to her, and she finally closed the door leaning against it to admire her things. She nearly skipped over to her fluffy soft couch, and pounced on to it, sinking deep into the cushions, and smelling it’s newness. She marveled at it’s softness, but paused when she heard the muffled sound of her phone ringing. She rolled off the couch, and reached underneath it coming up with her blue cordless phone.



“ Hello?," She answered. On the other end, she heard someone laugh.



“ Guess what?," A deep voice asked. Kagome recognized it immediately, smiling.



“ What Sota?," She asked, getting herself excited as she plopped down on her couch again. He laughed again, only adding to her giddy mood.



“ Someone showed up looking for you today, he was very keen as to see you," Sota chimed. Kagome bit her lip, wondering what he meant.



“ Are they still their, who was it, someone I know?," She questioned, cuddling the phone closer to her ear, so to hear his reply better.



“ Yeah, he’s still here, standing right beside me... would you like to talk to him?," Sota asked. Kagome raised an eyebrow, thinking it over.



“ Give me a clue as to who it is?," She asked. Sota laughed, but this time it annoyed her.



“ All right, he’s tall, brown hair..... and well, why don’t talk to him," Sota laughed. His laughter faded as the phone was passed, and Kagome felt herself become nervous.



“ Hello, Kagome is that you?," A familiar voice rang through the phone. Kagome gasped, trying to match the voice to a name. She paused thinking, then when it clicked she giggled.



“ Oh, Hojo is that you, what a surprise," She exclaimed bouncing on her couch. Across the line Hojo laughed, hearing her bubbly voice.



“ Yes, it’s me. I came looking for you, I had no idea you had moved. Well it has been a long time since we talked, what has it been, about three years right?," He asked. Kagome nodded, then realized he couldn’t see her, and laughed.



“ Ha, yeah, so how are you?," She asked, folding her legs underneath her to get comfortable.



“ I’m great, up for my P.H.D in a year or two, what about you?," He replied. Kagome smiled.



“ Wow, your going to be a doctor how exciting," She exclaimed. Hojo laughed.



“ Yes, I’d like to work with children, and thought I’d go out for being a pediatrician," He replied, Kagome was touched by his dream of doctoring.



“ Oh, that’s so wonderful," She mused. Hojo chuckled slightly embarrassed.



“ Yeah, well what about you, how is school?," He asked again. Kagome felt herself blush, feeling ashamed of her own story.



“ Well, actually I went to a two year school, and now I’m working as an intern at a local lawyer’s office, it’s not as great as being a doctor," She replied, sheepishly. Hojo laughed merrily.



“ Don’t be silly, you can be anything you want, as long as it makes you happy, and maybe you’ll find something exciting," He replied. Kagome giggled, relaxing into her pillow soft couch.



“ Say, Hojo would you like to come over, I’d enjoy some company and it’ll give us a chance to catch up," Kagome asked, hopeful.



“ I’d love to Kagome, where do you live?," He asked. Kagome smiled brightly.



“ Don’t worry, I’ll come pick you up. I’ll be over in a jiff," She told him. She hung up not even waiting for his reply, and went to put on a pair of jeans.









Kagome charged up the shrine’s step, she had taken a longer time getting ready then intended, and now she felt sorry for keeping Hojo waiting. Her heart beat against her chest as she raced up and up. When she got to the top, she sighed in relief, and headed straight for her house. She paused a moment when she spotted her brother walking towards her, followed by a tall brown haired man. She smiled brightly, picking up her pace.



“ Yo, Hojo!!," She yelled to him. He looked up spotting the running raven hair girl, and smiled brightly at her enthusiasm.



“ Kagome," He exclaimed, running to meet her halfway. He embraced her, causing a deep blush to fall across her cheeks.



“ You got really tall," Kagome mused looking up into his dancing brown eyes. He chuckled.



“ Thank you, you look quite wonderful yourself," He complimented, pulling back from her and tucking his hands in his pockets. Kagome glared at Sota, eyeing him in a way that he knew he was to make an exit.



“ Well, it was nice to meet you Hojo. See you later," Sota said, waving as he turned to leave, laughing under his breath. Hojo smiled, turning back to Kagome.



“ So, where is this marvelous apartment?," He asked. Kagome smiled.



“ Lucky me, right down town, only a block from my favorite coffee shop," She replied, she looped her arm through his, and started to lead him down the shrines steps.





They were about half way down the steps, when Kagome felt the all familiar sense of a jewel shard. Which of course was crazy, but then again many things had happened. She paused mid-step realizing she couldn’t possibly ignore this feeling. She looked at Hojo, who watched her.



“ What is it?," He asked, wondering why she had stopped so abruptly. Kagome laughed in a nervous way.



“ Oh, uh n-nothing, I thought I had forgotten something, but I didn’t, never mind," She said shaking her hand at him. Kagome gave a nervous glance over her shoulder, and pushed all thoughts of jewel shards to the back of her mind.