InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Changes For The Better ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Jumping out from the shack that surrounded the bone eater’s well, a certain hanyou made his way slowly towards a house in the distance. He felt nervous, and over joyful, though he held his calm exterior. Around him he could smell her scent, so fresh, it wafted at him and he could hardly keep the blush that crept to his cheeks from showing. He was so close.




Standing below her window, he saw no light from inside, and it worried him. He took a deep breath then jumped up, pulling aside the window.



“ WHAT!?!?!," He yelled. It was empty, nothing but an empty room. He jumped inside, pausing a moment to sniff the air, which held only a faint scent of Kagome. His ears perked at the sound of rushing footsteps approaching the room, he froze. The door swung open, and a tall dark hair teenage boy stood before him.




“ What the hell," The boy exclaimed nearly keeling over at the sight before him. Inuyasha growled standing from his crouched position to glare at the boy.



“ Who the hell are you, and were the fuck is Kagome!!!!," Inuyasha bellowed, shaking a clawed fist in the boy’s face.



“ Oh Kami, y-you can’t be here Inuyasha," The boy stuttered, still staring wide eyed at the hanyou. Inuyasha looked at the boy strangely, dropping his fist.



“ How do you know my name?," He asked, completely bewildered.



“ Uh, I’m Sota, don’t tell me you forgot me. I’m Kagome’s brother," Sota replied, jabbing his own chest with his finger. A flash a recognition passed through Inuyasha’s golden eyes, and he smiled slightly.



“ Oh yeah, right... now where’s Kagome?," He asked again. Sota sighed, looking down at the floor discouraged by the hanyou’s attitude.



“ She moved out like two days ago," He answered, looking back at the dog eared man. Inuyasha frowned, clenching his fists.



“ Then why was her scent so fresh outside?," He asked pointing to the window with his hand. Sota looked, then shrugged.



“ She was by earlier, meeting up with an old friend... what are you doing here anyway, she said you had destroyed the well, and couldn’t come back. She told us you were done needing her," Sota questioned, his brow furrowing as the saddening image of his sister popped into his head. He remembered how broken she had been when she returned that last time. He didn’t want to ever see her that way again.



“ Well, she was the one who didn’t want to come back, she chose to stay in her time. Now tell me where she lives," Inuyasha said in a demanding tone. Sota shook his head.



“ She’s moved on, and I don’t want you to hurt her again. I hate seeing her sad and you were always hurting her, why don’t you head home. Dog man," Sota said, turning his back to Inuyasha and heading down the hall. The hanyou’s eyebrow twitched.



“ Look, brat I know that in the past I never really treated her with much respect, but I realize now how wrong I was. When she left I was heart broken but I was too afraid of rejection if I went after her, now please tell me where Kagome is!?!," Inuyasha demanded again. Sota sighed, turning his innocent gaze back to the hanyou.



“ She won’t be happy to see you. I think she’s finally moved on from the heart break, I don’t want to cause any more for her, so... You’ll need to be someone else," Sota said. Inuyasha looked at him with a lost expression.



“ Are you planning to go back to the past?," Sota asked. Inuyasha shook his head.



“ Good then if your going to live in this time you need to look like your from this millennium. So we’ll cut your hair, and you can borrow some of my clothes. Then I’ll tell you where to find her," Sota explained. Inuyasha growled.



“ Why do I have to cut my hair," He grumbled. Sota rolled his eyes.



“ Well, duh, no guy has hair that long anymore, and besides I bet you Kagome would recognize you like right away. Oh, and I guess you’ll need a hat or something, for those ears of yours," Sota answered, turning to leave again. Inuyasha followed him, arms folded across his chest.










Kagome and Hojo arrived at her apartment in a matter of minutes, the ride was short and enjoyable. Kagome smiled brightly as Hojo followed close beside her on the way to her door.



“ It really is wonderful of you to show me your apartment," Hojo said suddenly. Kagome turned to smile at him.



“ It’s no problem, I’m excited to show you, you’ll be the first person, not of relation to me, to actually see it. I’m happy to show it off," Kagome piped, pulling out her keys as they approached her door. She fiddled with the lock a few seconds before, she heard it’s cheery click, and she pushed it open allowing Hojo to enter before her.




“ Wow, Kagome this really is a wonderful apartment, just perfect," Hojo mused, stepping in and glancing around the living room area. Kagome giggled flipping the switch beside the door to turn on the lights. She marveled to herself at how the furniture matched so perfectly, and how everything was in it’s rightful place.



“ Take off your jacket and relax, I’ll make some tea," She said. She closed the door behind herself when she stepped in, and pulled off her own jacket.



“ So, do you enjoy living on your own?," Hojo asked, sitting down and sinking into the fluffy cushions of her new couch. He heard Kagome laugh from the kitchen and leaned forward to watch her through the large door frame of the kitchen.



“ Oh, more then ever, it’s so relaxing to come home and know that nothing will be out of place, and that this is my very own home. I love it," She sang, entering the living room with a bright smile. Though inside, she couldn’t help but feel she wouldn’t mind sharing it with someone.



“ What about you, do you have your own apartment or dorm room?," Kagome asked, standing in front of him, arms across her chest in a relaxed position.



“ Oh, well yes I have an apartment, but I share it with a fellow student. I had paid for my tuition, and the cost was a little more then expected, so I couldn’t afford to by an apartment on my own," He replied, fidgeting slightly in the depths of the couch. Kagome nodded thoughtfully.



“ Well, if you ever need a night away from your roommate, I have a spare bedroom. I’d be happy to have you," She giggled. The kettle sounded and Kagome padded back into the kitchen to turn off the stove and prepare the tea. Hojo waited patiently for her to return, looking around the room while he waited.



“ So, how are things in general, how’s your love life, have any girlfriends?," Kagome inquired, smiling as she came back with a tray in her hand. Hojo laughed nervously at the question, and sat on the edge of the couch, to reach the table.



“ At the moment, I’m single, and what about you? Any one in your life?," He asked, turning to smile at her as she took a seat beside him.



“ No one as of lately, mind you I’ve been busy and I’d like to enjoy my new liberty before I have someone in my life," She replied, handing Hojo a steaming cup of tea. He nodded as he took it, blowing on it to cool it.



“ Right, I can understand that, no doubt when I finally get my own apartment I will feel the same way. Say besides your new freedom and your job, what have you been doing?," Hojo asked, taking a sip of tea. Kagome stared into her cup thoughtfully.



“ Well, actually nothing at all, I haven’t had much time for anything, but I suppose I just hang out, and.... do nothing," She laughed, placing her cup on the tray. Hojo chuckled himself, sipping his tea again.



“ Of course, what better to do then sit and veg out," He chuckled. Kagome smiled leaning back into her couch, and looking up at the ceiling. Hojo paused, looking over at her. She was beautiful, ever more so then in high school. She had matured greatly, her skin almost glowing in the lamp light, and her newly short hair adding to her features. Hojo had always held feelings for Kagome, but never knew what to make of her. She had been constantly absent from school, due to illness, even though he had suspected they were just cover up, since she was always returning perfectly healthy from her recent bout with a deadly sickness. Kagome sighed, and turned her gaze toward her guest, whom had been staring at her until she turned to watch him. A blush crossed the young man’s face, as she smiled at him knowingly.



“ Hojo, did you really have such a big crush on me in high school?," She asked. Her question so innocent, yet it sent such a rush of blood to Hojo’s face, he’d have swore his face to be on fire.



“ Yes, I could say I had been in love with you. You were just so sweet and there was an air of mystery as to your constant disappearances, frankly I was quite intrigued by you," He answered, trying to calm his flushing cheeks. Kagome smirked.



“ Really, you thought me intriguing, how funny. I admired your confidence and sense of honesty, you were also very popular," Kagome grinned. Hojo laughed.



“ Yes, I was and I hardly ever knew why… Kagome, were you really that sick, or was it just some cover up for something else?," Hojo questioned, his eyes shown with curiosity and hope for the truth. Kagome winced at the question, not wanting to think of that time, and those memories.



“ Well, most of the time I was sick, and other times it was family problems. I hadn’t wanted to have to deal with questions and counseling if the school caught wind of family troubles, so I had my Grandfather call me in sick. Boy, he certainly came up with wild illnesses, didn’t he," Kagome laughed, skillfully lying . Hojo nodded, a slight hurt in his eyes, knowing she was still holding the truth from him.



“ How is your grandfather? Still up to trouble," Hojo asked. Kagome looked at her lap sadly, pained at the memory of her beloved Grandfather.



“ He passed away a two years ago, but I’m sure he’s up in heaven causing a commotion. He was such a goof ball, but a very good man," Kagome replied quietly, smiling sadly at the memories. Hojo reached out and took hold of Kagome’s hands.



“ I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to cause you heart ache," He said in all sincerity. Kagome smiled, shaking her head.



“ Oh, don’t be silly, how were you to know of his passing, I know you meant no offense," She said, with a smile. Hojo looked hesitant to let go of her hands, but he did and sat back, looking at her sorrowfully.



“ Kagome, I feel as though I have wronged you," He said. Kagome laughed.



“ Forget it, I’m fine it was his time, everything in time comes to an end. He died a happy man, so you’ve done no wrong, so don’t feel sorry or sad, All right?," She said, patting his shoulder. Hojo sighed and nodded leaning back into the couch. Kagome nodded, and glanced at the clock hanging over the kitchen door.



“ My goodness, we’ve spent nearly four hours sitting here and talking, time sure does fly," Kagome exclaimed. Hojo glanced at the clock, surprised at how late it had gotten.



“ Yeah, I suppose I should be heading back. I have an early class tomorrow. It was so nice to see you again," Hojo said, quickly getting to his feet. Kagome raised an eyebrow at his readiness to leave but shrugged it off, getting to her feet as well.



“ All right, we can talk again, have coffee or something?," Kagome suggested. Hojo nodded.



“ Sounds great. Sota told me your phone number, so I’ll call you," He said, as he pulled on his jacket. Kagome nodded. Then a thought struck her.



“ Oh, wait do you need a ride back to the temple to get to your car. I’d be happy to give you a lift," She said. Hojo smiled.



“ Sure, that’d be great," He said. Kagome giggled, and grabbed her keys and jacket, were she had thrown them on a chair.



“ All right then let’s go," She said, opening the door as they left for the Higurashi temple.










Sota grumbled as he fixed his hold on the fidgeting hanyou’s shoulder. He snipped off another clump off hair, and shifted his feet through the pile of silver hair on the floor, as he went to cut another clump.



“ If you don’t hold still, I just might cut an ear off," Sota growled, through clenched teeth as Inuyasha tried to get up again. Inuyasha’s only reply was a deep growl, as he sat still and folded his arms across his chest.



“ Stupid kid, you had better not make me look dumb, or I swear I’ll kill you," He grumbled. He had been forced to do this, only by the promise that Kagome would like it. But he had paled seeing the large pile of hair that now surrounded his feet. Sota snipped a few stray pieces of hair, then stood back to marvel at his work.



“ There your done, and if it weren’t for the ears, I’d say you were just an ordinary guy. Take a look in the mirror," Sota said, stepping back. Inuyasha stood and turned to look in the mirror.



“ Ah! What did you do!! It’s all gone," He exclaimed, lifting a shaking clawed hand to his short hair. His hair now hovered just above his shoulders, the edges jagged and different lengths, do to his struggling. He grumbled again, and glared at Sota.



“ Don’t be silly, you look great," Sota smiled, looking over his job. Inuyasha was about to strangle the kid, when a sound from downstairs caught his attention.



“ Sota, it’s me. I’m here for a visit," called an all to familiar voice. Inuyasha paled, glancing around the bathroom in search of a place to hide. Sota sensed Inuyasha’s alarm, and rushed out of the bathroom to stop Kagome from coming up the stairs.



He caught her on the stairs, and stood in front of her, smiling widely.



“ Hey, what are you doing back, it’s late don’t you know," He said. Kagome laughed.



“ Yeah, well I just dropped off Hojo so he could get home in his car, and I thought. Hey I bet Sota will want to go out for dinner. Well do yah?," Kagome asked. Sota gave a anxious glance at the closed bathroom door, then sighed haggardly.



“ Uh, well I actually already ate, and I have a ton of homework I still have to do. So maybe tomorrow," He replied. Kagome raised a questioning eyebrow, then shrugged it off.



“ Whatever, it’s your loss. I’ll be home at four tomorrow, call me then and we’ll head out for some early dinner. Okay?," She smiled, turning to start down the stairs.



“ Okay then, tomorrow," Sota replied. Kagome chuckled and reached up to ruffle his hair, like she had often done when he was younger and a whole lot shorter. She smiled and then headed back down the stairs, giving a wave before she headed out the door. Sota sighed when she left, and then turned to see Inuyasha peeking his head out of the bathroom.



“ She’s gone, you can come out now," He sighed. Inuyasha looked at him sadly, and then longingly at the front door.



“ She sounded different, even her scent was different," He said, his ears hanging low. Sota shook his head, looking at the sad hanyou.



“ Don’t worry she’s just gotten older, like you, she’s a grown up now, and on her own," He replied. Inuyasha sighed sadly, and then came out of the bathroom completely.



“ I just want to be near her.... I hate having to hide from her, it’s stupid," The hanyou huffed, folding his arms. Sota nodded.



“ Well, as soon as you get some clothes from this time and have a shower, I’ll show you were she lives. Then your free to go and see her whenever you feel like it, all right. Now follow me," Sota said, walking towards his room. Inuyasha followed Kagome’s brother into his room, and sat down on the younger boy’s bed. Sota smiled, then went to searching his draws for a pair of jeans and a shirt. He came up with them in no time then tossed them to Inuyasha, who caught them with ease.



“ Just take a shower first, then put them on," Sota said. Inuyasha nodded, and then Sota pointed him to the bathroom and showed him how to work it, and what to use to clean himself. Inuyasha grumbled at all the complicated soaps, but ended up using them anyway.





Sota hardly recognized the hanyou that walked into his room, sheepishly adorned in the boy’s clothes, and Tetsusaiga stuck through his belt. Inuyasha’s ears twitched, flicking drops of water, from his still wet hair, as he focused on his reflection in the boy’s mirror.



“ I look stupid," He said irksomely, running a clawed hand through his short hair. But in fact he looked quite handsome, like any modern day guy. Sota smiled and picked up the hat he had beside him, and placed it on the hanyou’s head.



“ No, you look great. Now grab that sweatshirt there, and I’ll show you to Kagome’s apartment.” He said, leaving the room. Inuyasha grabbed the red hooded sweatshirt and pulled it over his head, as he exited the room. Sota was already at the door waiting.



“ You can wear these sandals, since you probably don’t like sneakers," Sota said, slipping his own feet into his wore out shoes. Inuyasha looked at the ugly wooden sandals in disgust, but put them on anyway. Sota looked him over again, and then sighed.



“Leave your sword here. After you make up with Kagome, you can get it back,” Sota said. Inuyasha growled dangerously, glaring at the boy. Sota rolled his eyes.



“It’ll be safe. Give it over,” Sota said, holding out his hand. Inuyasha was hesitant as he pulled it from his belt. He gave it to Sota who smiled, and then turned to rush upstairs. He returned a few minutes later, and Inuyasha sighed.



“ All right, now let’s hurry," Inuyasha said, pushing through the door. Sota rolled his eyes, and closed the door behind himself as he rushed to follow the impatient hanyou.