InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Under The Weather ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“What are you planning to do here? Do you plan to live out the rest of your life with only Kagome supporting you?,” Sota asked. Inuyasha looked at him and sighed in annoyance. The boy never did run out of questions, but he did bring up a good point.



Inuyasha was spending another day at the Higurashi Shrine while Kagome worked a double shift. He was glad though being able to be out in the first day of spring. Beside him on the steps to the house, Sota was waiting for an answer. Inuyasha looked to the expectant boy, and narrowed his eyes.



“I don’t know. I’m not trained in anything besides my instincts and I don’t know anything about this era. I don’t want to think about something like that right now. So quit bugging me,” He replied. Sota just rolled his eyes as he leaned back on his palms, to gaze at the clear sky.



“Are you going to marry her?”. His next question caught Inuyasha off guard. He should of expected it though, since the boy was asking about his future.



“If she wants to get married, then I will. I’d like to have some pups, but I know she’s not ready for that yet,” Inuyasha considered. Sota looked at him wide eyed, and Inuyasha just smirked.



“What’s with the face kid?,” He asked gruffly. Sota just laughed.



“I just can’t imagine Kagome, let alone you as a parent,” Sota chuckled. Inuyasha glowered at him, and leaned forward to rest his arms on his knees.



“I’m sure Kagome will be a good mother. She has a lot of patience,” He told the boy. Sota just laughed again, waving off Inuyasha’s words.



“Please, Kagome has no patience at all. I mean just look at her and me. She couldn’t stand me when I was little, and blew up at me every two seconds”. Inuyasha looked at the boy, and shook his head.



“She’s older now. When was the last time she yelled at you?,” Inuyasha inquired, searching the boy’s eyes. Sota thought about his question and then turned surprised eyes back to the hanyou.



“Huh, your right. Well then I guess she won’t be that bad of a mother. Though I still can’t picture it,” He laughed. Inuyasha chuckled to, he knew that Kagome wouldn’t want to have children right now, after all she was still young. As was he.










Kagome slumped further into her chair, as the meeting continued. She didn’t understand why she had been asked to take the notes for this meeting, but then again she was also the only one who was working late today. She groaned inwardly at her bad lucky. Today of all days she was the only one able to stay for this stupid meeting.



She rubbed her temples, as a dull ache began to reside there, and looked up at the speaker. He was droning on and on about the finances of the new branch they had just established. Kagome frankly didn’t care one bit for any of this, and she didn’t feel all to great at that moment either.



‘Great I’ve got a headache, and the start of a horrible stomach ache,’ She thought wryly. Her head throbbed, and she shut her eyes for a moment, closing them tightly before opening them again.



‘Gods, when will this man shut up,’ She inwardly groaned. Then as if answering her prayers the man called a brief break and she sighed in relief as she made her way to the water bubbler to get a drink. As she leaned against the wall downing the small cup of water, a co-worker approached her. The woman had recently joined the corporation and was very smart in the business.



“Miss Higurashi, you look rather pale? Are feeling all right?,” The woman asked.



“Just call me Kagome. But as to your question, I feel like crap,” She replied with a kind smile. The woman nodded sympathetically.



“I see. I hope you’re not coming down with something. They say that there’s a nasty bug going around,” She told her. Kagome just shrugged her shoulders.



“With my lucky I’ve caught it. But I’m sure with a day’s rest I’ll be fine, now I’ll I have to do is make it through this meeting,” She said with a humorous less laugh. The woman nodded, giving her another sympathetic look before the meeting was called back to order.










“Hey kid, what time is it anyway? I think Kagome’s running late,” Inuyasha asked as he glanced out a nearby window. Sota looked at the clock above the television he was watching, and sighed.



“She is late, by an hour. I’ll call her apartment and see if she’s there,” Sota said. He got up from his perch on the couch and made his way to the kitchen, while Inuyasha kept a look out through the window.



Sota waited as the phone rang, and frowned as he caught the answering machine. He listened as Kagome’s recording told him to leave a message, and then he spoke as it beeped.



“Hello, Kagome if your there pick up. Hell-,” He stopped as he heard someone pick up.



“H-hello,” came Kagome’s weary tone. Sota sighed.



“You know I like Inuyasha and all, but I don’t think he wants to sleep over,” He said through the phone. There was a gasp from his sister, and then a moment later a loud thunk was heard.



“Shit,” Kagome cursed. Sota smirked,



“Mom wouldn’t be to happy hearing that language,” He scolded. Kagome chuckled dryly and told him she was on the way. He just sighed before hanging up and returning to the living room.



“Well, where is she?,” Inuyasha asked. Sota chuckled.



“On her way. Looks like you were forgotten,” He replied.



It was another half hour before Inuyasha caught sight of Kagome coming up the stairs. She was walking slowly, and staggering ever so often. Inuyasha didn’t like the way she was moving, and got the feeling something was wrong. He and Sota went outside to meet her as she approached them. She was out of breath, and looking very pale in the light’s from the house.



“Inu, I,I am so sorry,” She breathed. Inuyasha walked up to her, and put a hand to her forehead.



“You have a fever,” He stated bluntly. Kagome rolled her eyes.



“I know. That’s why I was late. I fell asleep on the couch, after taking some cold medicine,” She admitted. Inuyasha looked at her with concern, but she just brush it off turning to smile at Sota.



“Thanks for calling me, or else I would have never come and got him,” She thanked. Sota just shrugged, tossing them both a goodnight before heading inside. Kagome rolled her eyes at him, and then turned back to Inuyasha, who still watched her with concerned eyes.



“Stop looking at me like that,” She chided. He sighed.



“Kagome, your sick,” He told her. She gave him a thoughtful look.



“Huh, so that’s why I feel like crap. Who would of guessed,” She replied sarcastically. Inuyasha glared at her as she just smiled at him sweetly before heading back to the stairs.



“Don’t worry about it Inu. After a good nights sleep, I’ll be good as new,” She tossed over her shoulder.










Later on the night Kagome woke up from a nightmare, drenched in sweat. She had made Inuyasha sleep in his own bed, not wanting him to catch what she had. She knew it was a fat chance he’d get sick, since he was a hanyou but she still didn’t want to risk it.



“I feel like crap,” She grumbled as she wiped her damp bangs from her forehead. A sudden churning in her stomach caused her to groan as she jumped from her bed, and stumbled to her bathroom. She was lucky to reach it in time, but consequently she knocked over her glass soap dish in her dash for the toilet. It shattered on the tile floor with a loud crash. But Kagome didn’t noticed a she heaved into the toilet.



Inuyasha sat bolt up from his sleep as a crash met his sensitive ears. He was quick to jump to his feet, and investigate. He stopped his worrying as he came into the hall and heard the toilet flush, it was just Kagome. He traveled to the bathroom to find the door wide open and the light’s off. He flipped it on, and found her sitting on the floor with her head resting on the seat of the toilet.



“What’s wrong with you?,” He asked her. She just shook her head weakly.



“I’m not going to be better by tomorrow morning. I think I’ve got the flu,” She sighed. Then before he could ask what the flu was, she was heaving into the toilet again. Inuyasha reached over to hold back her hair for her, and took a seat on the edge of the tub beside her, stroking her back with his free hand.



“This isn’t going to be a very fun night,” He heard her grumble as she finished. He nodded in agreement. She flushed the toilet and then struggled to get to her feet as Inuyasha helped her. She washed her face, and then Inuyasha helped her back to bed, and tucked her under the covers.



“Do you want me to do anything for you?,” He asked her. Kagome smiled at him, and shook her head.



“Just got back to bed. I’ll be fine,” She managed to say before sleep took hold. Inuyasha just shook his head at her, and went back to his room. He pulled off his pillow and the sheets before returning to her room. He laid out a make shift bed at the foot of her bed, and then laid down to sleep. He wasn’t about to leave her, when she was in need of someone to care for her.










The night had been rough for them both. Kagome had gotten up at least twice every half hour for most of the night, before she just insisted she sleep in the bathroom. Inuyasha hadn’t liked the idea but he wasn’t about to argue with her and got her a pillow and blanket, so she wasn’t sitting on the cold tile floor, shivering.



He would hold her hair for her as she got sick, and then would get her a face cloth and help her wash her face. It unnerved him to see her so weak, but he wasn’t about to abandon her. Not when she needed him.



“Kagome, are you sure you don’t want to just go back to bed? You’ve been here for a long time, and you haven’t gotten sick,” Inuyasha asked. Kagome looked up at him with tired eyes.



“No, you know the second that I get comfy in bed, I’ll be running back in here,” She muttered in an exhausted tone. She closed her eyes for a second, but didn’t open them as she slipped into a quiet slumber. Inuyasha just sighed, as he reached down and carefully gathered her up in his arms. She didn’t stir as he brought her to her room and then laid her down in her bed. He tucked the covers around her, and wiped her damp bangs from her forehead.



“What am I going to do with you?,” He asked her sleeping form. He smiled at her fondly, and then climbed into the bed as well, resting beside her to drape an arm across her waist with ease.



She didn’t move again until her alarm clock stirred her at seven thirty. Inuyasha was fast to jump to his feet and slam a fist into the alarm clock, quickly ending it’s life. Kagome just sighed, and flopped back down into the pillows.



“Inu, could you get me the phone?,” She asked him quietly. Her throat had gone hoarse from her purging. Inuyasha nodded before he left the room to get the portable phone she often left with him while she was at work. She thanked him for it, as she dialed the number of her office.



“Hello, This is Kagome Higurashi calling. I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it in today, due to an illness,” She spoke softly her voice scratchy. She sighed as a reply came, and a relieved smile became plastered on her face.



“Thank you very much. Have a good day,” She said, before hanging up. She unceremoniously dropped the phone on the floor, and looked up at Inuyasha.



“Apparently quite a few people called in sick. I must of caught a bug that’s been going around,” She told the hanyou. Inuyasha just nodded. Kagome smiled at him, and sat up.



“Thank you so much for, well taking care of me. Even though I told you to stay away,” She scolded with a smile. Inuyasha just smirked, and crawled into bed again, sitting beside her.



“Keh, I’m a hanyou, I won’t get sick from some harmless human disease,” He scoffed. Kagome shook her head, before leaning it against the wall behind her.



“Yeah, yeah. Well, do you want me to drop you off at the Temple? I doubt you want to be cooped inside now that the weathers warmer,” She asked, watching him. Inuyasha folded his arms across his chest, and looked out the window.



“You’re not getting rid of me. Someone needs to take care of you,” He said. Kagome laughed weakly, and reached over to tug on his shirt, easily getting his attention.



“I’m not trying to get rid of you. I just don’t want you to mope around all day,” She told him. “And besides, Mama knows the best remedy for the flu,” She told him. Inuyasha just rolled his eyes at her, and was quick to jump off the bed.



“Then we had better get going. I’ll go get dressed and then come back and help you,” He said heading for the door. Kagome sighed.



“You are not, I repeat not helping me get dressed. I’ll do it myself,” She scolded. He gave her a hurt look and then disappeared closing the door after himself.



It took them at least two hours to get ready. With Kagome’s constant trip to the bathrooms, and insistence that Inuyasha take a shower to rid himself of germs. Finally they were on their way to the Temple. But by way of Hanyou instead of car.