InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ A Breath Of Fresh Air ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

             The light breeze lifted her hair from her neck, closing her eyes she took in a deep breath of fresh air. Her lips tucked up into a smile as the air filled her lungs and then rushed out. Everything was so clean. So wild and living, even the air had a new freshness. Kagome realized now why she had loved to feudal era so much.


“Kagome?” She cracked open one eye to see the little bob of an orange ponytail waving in the wind. Shippo bounced up to the deck, sitting beside her, his small hands clasped in his lap.


“Yes Shippo?” He looked up at her, his big green eyes shining.


“Why did you leave?” For a moment Kagome remained quite, her head tilting back as she gazed at the sky.


“Because I didn’t belong, because if I had stayed my heart would have broken,” She said quietly.


“Because Inuyasha made you sad? Right?” Kagome glanced at him, and patted her lap with one hand. He shuffled close, and she tugged him into her lap, balancing him on her knees.


“Inuyasha didn’t make me leave, I choose to” She told him. “I use to regret leaving, all the time, and I’ve missed you all, so much. But, I’m happy too, because we’ve all managed to have happy lives. Miroku and Sango and you, all moved on. And so did I”


“Inuyasha didn’t, he was sad for a really long time. After I stopped hating him I felt sorry for him, but he brought you back. So I’m happy” Shippo said with a grin. Kagome chuckled, giving him a quick hug and peck on the forehead.


“So am I”


        & nbsp;   Sango stood, her back stiff from sitting. She could hear Miroku outside talking to Haku about herbs. She smiled at that and shuffled to the window to watch them as they went through the garden picking weeds. Miroku pointed something out, and Haku told him what it was. She leaned against the window, eyes traveling over the large yard. She came to a stop when she saw the flicker of red as Inuyasha landed by the long row of graves. He looked somber, standing over them, in one hand he had a few white flowers, the other was clenched around the hilt of his sword.


        &nb sp;   He crouched and dropped the flowers atop the last grave, Kohaku’s grave. He sat still, his gaze drifting along the graves, then coming to rest again on the before him. Sango sighed and brushed her fingers over her stomach. Inuyasha had blamed himself for her brothers death, but she knew that nothing could have saved him. She felt sorry now, for the way they had treated him the months after Kagome first left. Shippo had stopped talking to him for nearly two years, and she and Miroku left him to dwell in Kaede’s village after Naraku was defeated. They had abandoned him, in favor of starting their family. Miroku would visit him often, but Sango had never felt it in herself to see the hanyou.


Sango sighed and shook her head, turning away from the scene. Guilt weighed heavy on her heart, but for now she could ignore it, since Kagome was back, and Inuyasha had brought her to them.


“Sango?” Kagome entered the hut with a large smile, Shippo clasping one of her hands.


“Yes?”


“Shippo and I are going to pick some flowers, would you like to come?” The girl asked. Sango laughed and shook her head.


“I’d love to but Miroku would be mad with me if I push myself to much. I am close to eight months now,” Sango told her. Kagome nodded, and smiled down at Shippo.


“We’ll just have to bring lots back for her, won’t we Shippo?” The little fox smiled nodding vigorously.


“Well, that’s settled. If you see Inuyasha, could you tell him where I went?”


“Of course, go have fun,” Sango said. Kagome nodded, and then she and Shippo left. Sango turned back to the window, spotting Inuyasha again. He was standing, his nose in the air. Most likely he’d caught wind of Kagome, and would follow her and Shippo out to the field nearby.


“Well, I suppose a nap would be good. Then I’ll start lunch”