InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Mere Act of Kindess ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
---Chapter Four

For nearly every day after that, Inu-Yasha and Alleli played in the woods for the next 5 years. At this point, Inu-Yasha was 12 and Alleli was 18, turning 19 later in the month. Both had changed very little-- except they had both grown taller and their hair longer. Sesshomaru still hated Alleli for being a cat hanyou; Inu-Yasha and Sesshomaru's mother had died a year earlier from a disease; Inu-Yasha had a more rebellious attitude now, but lost his cynicism whenever he was around his childhood friend; and Sesshomaru and Inu-Yasha were basically strangers now. Sesshomaru would spend his days outside the village, on the woods opposite the ones where Inu-Yasha and Alleli played. What he did there, Alleli and Inu-Yasha never cared, or even thought about, preferring to enjoy each other's company.
But that was all about to change.
The sad day on which this chapter takes place is in the middle of summer; it was a bright, wonderful day out. It was morning... and Inu-Yasha was waiting under their 'meeting tree.' He had been waiting for about a minute or so, but he wasn't worried; he normally came before Alleli did and sometimes had to wait till up to 20 minutes. His soft puppy ears swiveled to the left-- he thought he heard something. He grinned, because Alleli always came from the left. He expected her to move the tree branch away any second now. But then he heard nothing more. He sat down again and sighed. "Where is she..." he thought. Now, he wasn't worried. He was bored.
After a few more minutes, Inu-Yasha was begining to get worried. "She's never been this late before. I hope she's okay..." he got up and began to walk to the village, intending to ask the villagers if they'd seen her.
A half-hour later, however, Inu-Yasha was in a panic. He couldn't find her anywhere, and he'd looked all over the village and the forest where they always went. There was one place he hadn't looked.... Sesshomaru's forest.
Making up his mind (which didn't take long), Inu-Yasha ran into the forest. "Alleli! Alleli!" he called out. "Where are you?!" he shouted as he stumbled into a clearing. He got down on all fours and sniffed the ground. "Yeah, she's been here all right... I'd recognise her scent a mile off," he boasted to no one in particular. Standing back up, he took another step foreward, and then paused, because there was some rustling in the bushes in front of him. "Wh--" before Inu-Yasha could get another word out, Sesshomaru stepped out of the bushes. He was not alone.