InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ Inuyasha's Story ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Nope, no reason to sue me yet, cause I don't own it. I merely kidnap the bishies)
 
 
A New Life With Old Friends
 
 
Ch. 8 - Inuyasha's Story
 
 
 
“We were unsure at first as to what happened to you. I, for one, had thought you dead. There simply was nowhere else you could be, so that was the most reasonable explanation. The others grieved, so my thoughts were confirmed at the time. No one ever thought to tell me anything else.” At this last sentence Sesshomaru glared at Shippo a little more noticeably. Shippo looked at him with an innocent look on his face.
“Only after Shippo decided to tell everyone your last words and wishes, did we find out what you wished for. A very foolish wish, well, at least that's what I thought at the time. Now, however, I am not so sure. Inuyasha had retreated into his tree, as well as his mind. He rarely ate, if ever, and did not speak to anyone.
We all thought he was overcome with grief, which was part of his reason, but after Shippo told him what you said, he let us know what you did. You had wished on the jewel to go to Inuyasha and grant his desire. You basically gave the jewel to him to do with what he wanted. Something that could have resulted in horrific results, however, he told us that he had actually been thinking about what he wanted,”
 
“As much of a surprise it was to see him thinking anyway; we had a hard time believing him.” Shippo snickered quietly, interrupting Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru glared at him, clearly unhappy.
 
“Pup, if you do not quit interrupting me, I'll forget what I promised Kagome. Now be quiet while I continue.
He said that he wanted to bring you back at first, but didn't want you to be sad being away from your family. I wasn't sure what he meant, I assumed that he meant your family was dead. He also wasn't sure if you loved him or not, at least, in the way he wanted. He apparently decided that there was one thing he didn't want, and that was to have to wait for five hundred years to see you again and find out you rejected him. I never understood that part…but I let it go as the foolish mumblings of the hanyou pup. He decided that he would do what he thought you wanted; he made two wishes into one. I'm fairly certain that it's what you expected to happen. He wished to live with the Kikyo he fell in love with, but as a human.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened, and she gasped. `He did that, when he could have been a full youkai? He really did love her that much.' She became a little saddened which was noted by everyone in the room. Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes, berating his brother once again. `You were a fool brother, but know this; I will not make the same mistake.' Before he could contemplate on that idea, and about what that thought meant, he decided to calm Kagome down.
 
“Let me finish before you start jumping to conclusions. He told me afterward why he wished for that, when he could have wished instead to be a full youkai and to live forever with Kikyo. He told me that he didn't want to see you hurt again, but to tell you when I saw you again, if I saw you again, that he loved you more then he could ever show. Again I didn't understand this request, since as a human he would die much sooner then I would.
He didn't know how to handle that love, and in his incessant clumsiness, broke your heart more then once. He decided that he didn't want to do that to you again, so he became a human. Kikyo didn't remember what happened to her, it was as if she never died. She did believe that she was in an enchanted sleep though. Sango and Miroku were introduced to her as friends of his that he had made when she was unconscious, and I didn't come around much when she was there, so all I was ever known as was the mysterious older brother with a human child and a kitsune child. The rest of the villagers, except Kaede, never knew her part in our quest, but when the danger of letting her know she died came up from the villagers, Kaede performed a spell of forgetting on them. She also placed one on Kikyo, making her believe she had been in an enchanted sleep by the man Onigumo, turned Naraku.
That was why she didn't age through fifty years. She also told her the jewel was used to finally wake her up and turn Inuyasha human after Naraku was destroyed. They lived a happy life, and had four children. Inuyasha made sure to name his only daughter after you. She was the youngest and seemingly had your spirit. Kikyo never knew why he insisted on naming their daughter. The three boys, I can't remember their names at the moment; grew up and had families of their own. Kagome was married to a young lord who had fallen in love with her and her him.
I was at Inuyasha's side when he lay on his deathbed; he never forgot you. He told me that he was a fool for not seeing you again, and I couldn't disagree. Indeed he was a fool, but what's done is done. I told him that, and told him as well that I would look after his family. He laughed, and thanked me before he died.”
 
Kagome stared into the vacant air, aware of the eyes upon her, watching, waiting to see how she would react to this news. Truthfully, it didn't hurt as much as she thought it would. The pang in her heart was lessened somehow, as if there was something else there, comforting her. She fully expected Inuyasha to revive Kikyo, but inside, she dared to hope. She dared to hope that he would come for her, and tell her that he never loved Kikyo, and it was always her. She knew, deep down, that it would never happen. After learning that she couldn't go back and see him, her heart broke. She may have never of known his love, but wished for his friendship. Now, after all this time, learning that he did indeed love her, she felt…lighter. It was strange, after all the time she spent grieving, that she should feel…well, not heartbroken for one. There was only a flickering prick of pain.
 
“Thank you. I do appreciate you telling me his story. I can tell you are all worried that I will break down; I can see it on your faces. The only thing I can tell you is that knowing this makes me feel a whole lot better. Right now, we need to figure out what's going on.” The others looked at her in shock, minus Sesshomaru, who looked at her with approval in his eyes. Miroku decided to break in there.
 
“This is something that would take an awful lot of magic to do. Whoever is responsible for this must be quite powerful. To take me and Sango, and bring us to the future in teenage bodies with no memories of before, is something not even I knew was possible. If it is Naraku that's behind this, then we can count on him making the first move.”
 
“Unless this was the first move.” Kouga spoke softer then usual, but still brought everyone's attention towards him. “Or, if it's not him at all.”
 
“We will wait, but in the meantime, be on your guard. Kagome, you are to go nowhere without one of us, preferably Shippo, Kouga, or I. Not that I don't think the monk and slayer are weak, it's just that they are now younger, and without weapons yet.” Sesshomaru's assertive words dictated obedience, and would allow nothing else. Kagome looked at him, disbelief shining in her eyes. Of course she wouldn't go down without a fight.
 
“Hey, I'm not helpless you know. I can control my miko powers better then ever, and I've gotten better with a bow and arrow. Besides, the only place I would be alone at would be here. You all, except for you Sessho, are at my school.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at the fiery young woman, who seemed to be able to catch his attention even when unwanted. He didn't know why, but felt strongly protective of her. To the others he appeared as he did before, his face a blank slate, showing nothing. He seemed to be thinking something over, at least to Kagome. Gazing at her stormy blue eyes he came to a decision. He would protect her.
 
“You will be staying with me from now on, until this menace is taken care of. That way you will be safe at night with me, and during the day with the others.” Kouga jumped up at this, protesting loudly that she would be better off with him instead. Kagome protested too, saying how she couldn't just leave Lydia here, she could get hurt.
Sesshomaru noted that the others stayed strangely quiet. He narrowed his eyes at Kouga, who started growling in return.
 
“ENOUGH!” It suddenly became quiet once again in the room at the shock of hearing Sesshomaru raise his voice.
 
“Kagome will stay with me. Think about how it would look if she were living with one of the young teachers. As for Lydia, she can stay with Kouga. He will be able to protect her adequately.” Seeing that they were about to protest, he cut them off. “This is not a choice. If it is the hanyou, then he would more then likely want revenge against the one who destroyed him.” Kagome made an `o' in comprehension, and Kouga grudgingly accepted that it was the only way. And he didn't exactly mind watching over Lydia, she had an unusual air about her that Kouga found…intriguing.
 
Kagome called Lydia into the room, and explained to her what was going to happen. Lydia was less then happy about the danger that Kagome seemed to be in, but didn't mind too much about having to move in with Kouga. Kagome noticed this, and it got the mischievous wheels in her head turning. The others left, promising to see her tomorrow at school. Sesshomaru patiently waited for Kagome to pack some things before they left. Lydia was doing the same thing, with Kouga waiting as well. The two demons stood in silence. Kouga looked at Sesshomaru, trying to figure what Sesshomaru wanted from Kagome. Getting nothing, he decided to try another way.
 
“Don't try anything with my woman, got it? I claimed her five hundred years ago, so she is mine.” Sesshomaru snarled, and crushed Kouga against a wall, holding by the throat. With Sesshomaru's eyes slowly bleeding red, Kouga realized what he didn't want to know.
 
“Do not presume to call her yours in my presence, or ever. She never accepted your claim and belongs to no one.” `Not yet anyway.' Sesshomaru reigned in his temper, and dropped Kouga just as the two ladies walked into the room.
 
Kagome looked at them suspiciously, but brushed it off and walked to Sesshomaru. She didn't know how to feel about going to live with him. The other night at dinner, he seemed so much different. She knew that five hundred years could do that to a person, she just never expected to see it happen to Sesshomaru. She was jerked out of her musings as Sesshomaru grabbed her bag, and started out the door. She walked after him, trotting a bit to keep up.
 
They had a silent car ride for the most part, Kagome tried to make some conversation, but Sesshomaru seemed to be in his own little world at the moment. Pulling into the driveway, Kagome looked at the place she would be staying in for quite some time. He lived in a penthouse that looked really spacious and beautiful. When they went in Sesshomaru led her down a hall towards a couple of doors. He stopped at one and opened it. Inside was a nicely done bedroom that suited Kagome perfectly.
 
“This is where you will be sleeping. My room is across the hall, and the bathroom is the door right next to mine on the left. I will show you where everything else is tomorrow, but I think you should get some sleep now, you do have school to go to still. Goodnight, and if you need anything, let me know.” Kagome looked at him and smiled, causing Sesshomaru to react in a way he never he thought he would. Shaking his head mentally to control his urges, he vaguely heard her say goodnight as he went into his room. That night, once more, they both fell into a fitful sleep, one dreaming about the one across the hall, and the other about an old love.