InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ Theories ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
A New Life With Old Friends
 
 
 
Ch. 7 Theories
 
 
 
The doorbell rang as Kagome was finishing setting up for dinner. She walked over to the door and saw Sesshomaru standing there. She grinned and let him in, but noticed that he seemed uneasy for some reason. Lydia came home not long after that, berating Sesshomaru good-heartedly about him beating her home. The others came shortly, and after they had gotten over the shock of seeing each other again, they sat down to eat.
 
Kagome had made oden, and promised certain death to anyone who tried to distract her from it. After they were finished eating, Kagome herded them all into the living room, minus Lydia who understood that they wanted some time together. Kagome sat on the loveseat with Shippo; Sango and Miroku were on the couch with Kouga; and Sesshomaru was sitting on the chair, glaring at Shippo subtly for some reason. Kagome sighed, and decided she couldn't put this off any longer.
 
“Well, um, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kind of confused as to why Sango and Miroku are here. Not that I don't want you guys here or anything; it's just strange. And the fact that we all ended up in the same town. At the same time, well, time period.” The others nodded, not knowing what to make of it. Miroku looked thoughtful, and Kagome was hoping he had an idea that they could go off of.
 
“Kagome, has anything strange happened to you lately?” He spoke softly, his violet eyes questioning. Kagome snorted, as she thought back on what had happened in the last few days.
 
“You mean, besides the fact that I met my son, and four other friends who I never thought I was going to see again?” He gave a small grin, and looked sheepish. “Hmm, well, let's see.” Her eyes widened as she remembered what had happened before gym.
 
“Yes, there has. Today, before gym, I got lost. I had heard a voice in my head, as Naraku used to do; it said it remembered me, even if I didn't remember it.” Their eye's widened at her statement. Most in fear, but one angry taiyoukai as well.
 
`Anything that's trying to hurt Kagome will die. I'll make sure of it.' His eyes narrowed, as the others looked at Kagome in shock.
 
“But, you killed him, didn't you? I mean, no one could have survived that attack.” Sango spoke frantically, trying to dismiss the idea that Naraku, or anything having to do with him was still alive. She didn't want to lose her second family to the same beast. Miroku noticed her fear and gently pulled her into his arms, trying to calm her down. She relaxed against him, and for that Miroku was grateful.
 
“I thought we did, but there's no certain guarantee that he didn't survive.” Kagome closed her eyes, trying to fight off the impending headache she knew was coming.
 
“Or perhaps it is one of his offspring.” Sesshomaru's quiet voice got everyone's attention. Shippo frowned, remembering the final battle.
 
“I thought all of his offspring were killed at the battle. And even if one did survive, wouldn't they want to stay out of sight and live their own lives?” Kagome had a thoughtful look on her face, as she recalled something that Kagura had said to her once.
 
**Flashback**
 
Kagome had been separated from the others during a battle, getting flung away by a demon. She was trying to find her way back, without passing out from the blood loss, results of the wounds she got from her all expense paid flying lesson.
 
`I always did want to learn how to fly. I guess this is what they mean when they say be careful what you wish for. Ow. This sucks, I need to learn to actually move out of the way one of these days.' While she was rambling to herself, she failed to notice a figure watching her. The figures eyes narrowed, as she watched the foolish young woman stumble through the woods.
 
`She seems so weak, but yet, I know better. She might truly be the one who can free me and my sister. If he ever finds out however...no, I can't let that happen. I am the Mistress of the Wind, and should be free as such. He will not control me.' Kagura made up her mind, and strode over to Kagome.
 
“Miko.” At the sound of her voice, Kagome whipped around, wincing from the pain her wounds gave her. Her fear spiked when she saw who it was, and remained still from the shock.
 
“What do you want?” She managed to get out a phrase; she knew however that it sounded as weak as she felt. She could do nothing if Kagura decided to kill her right there.
 
“I have no intent on killing you now miko. I want to ask a favor of you.” Kagome stared at Kagura, speechless. `She did not just say what I think she said, did she?'
 
“You…want my help?” Kagura stifled a sigh of impatience as she watched the younger woman do a nice impression of a fish. She felt the beginning traces of Naraku's magic searching for her; she had to hurry.
 
“In return for your life, all I want you to do is when you kill Naraku; you give me and my sister our freedom.” Kagome nodded mutely, as she thought over what Kagura had said. `They have a mind of their own. Naraku didn't just make mindless puppets.' She looked up from her musings only to discover that she was alone.
 
**End Flashback**
 
“Kagura once said that all she wanted was freedom. That means that not all of his offspring liked him, even if they were created by him.” The others looked thoughtful, and pondered over this new mystery.
 
“I take it our adventure is far from over. I guess our purpose has not yet been fulfilled. I don't know if that is why we are all here or not, it is just a theory.” Miroku murmured as Sango rested in his lap. She had calmed down, and now had a ferocious look on her face. Kagome watched them absently as she thought about the old days. She cocked her head, and a thoughtful expression appeared on her face.
 
“What happened to Inuyasha? Why isn't he here as well? I want to know what happened after I left.” Sesshomaru slid his gaze over to her, as the others stiffened. Shippo knew that Kagome would have to know sooner or later, he just wanted it to be later.
 
“It is time for you to know. We will need you to understand everything that happened in order for this problem to be solved. I will tell you what happened when you made your wish and disappeared.” Sesshomaru's velvety voice was calm and hid whatever emotion he was feeling at the moment. Kagome focused her attention on him, as did the others. They stared in shock, as well as relief. They did not want to be the ones to tell her. Even if she did wish for it.