InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Love ❯ Holy Dragon Fang ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 3: Holy Dragon Fang
“Where will we find a Holy Dragon? And why do we have to go visit Totosai?” the curios kitsune asked.
“I will hopefully be able to get a fang from the dragon. And I want Totosai to forge a sword from it.” Kagome said it as if it had already been done.
“Where will we find the dragon?”
“In the Northern regions.”
“Were does Totosai live?”
“In the Western?”
“Do you think we can beat the dragon?”
“Most likely. But I am hoping we won’t have to fight for it.”
“Oh, what do you mean by that Okaa-san?” the kitsune spoke. Confusion clearly on his face.
“Well I heard there’s a dragon graveyard in the north so maybe we can find a Holy Dragon fang in the bones.”
“Why do you need a Holy Dragon fang?”
“So I can heal and attack whenever I want. So basically it’s the Tetsusiaga and Tensaiga put together.”
“Wow, that’s really going to be a powerful sword, you better hope Sesshomaru doesn’t find out or he’ll try and take it.” Shippo said with a concerned look.
“Don’t worry I’ll mask its power from anyone. Besides, I’m going to put a seal on it so that only true allies can use it, meaning, Sango, Miroku, and of course you Shippo,” she smiled.
“Wow Kagome. You’re going to be so powerful!”
“All I want is to finish my mission with the Sacred Jewel, than live in piece with my friends,” giving Shippo a reassuring look. “Shippo, when you get older and stronger, you’ll stay with me right?” Kagome said with hopefulness clearly in her voice.
“Of course, Okaa-san, I’ll protect you for as long as you want me to,” he said, proudly puffing up his chest.
“That’s good, cause’ I’d hate to be left alone. I already miss Sango and Miroku.”
“So do I, we had to leave them. But don’t worry; I won’t leave you by yourself.”
“Thank you Shippo. I’m glad that I’ll always have you to fall back on,” she said giving him a hug.
“So how long do you think it will take for them to notice that I am gone?”
“I do not know. But hopefully it will be when they won’t be able to reach us for a few days.”
Three days later at Kaedas’ hut.
“Hey, where's Shippo?” Sango asked.
“I don’t know, he should have been bugging me to bring Kagome back by now,” the hanyou said.
“Well, can you bring Kagome back? She has the other six shards and we need her to find the rest on our travels,” the monk advised.
“All right, I’ll be back in about an hour.” Inuyasha said holding his back. ‘Hopefully she’s forgiven me by now, I can’t believe all that happened on her birthday and the day she unsealed me.’ Inuyasha thought before jumping in the well. “Oh well, she always forgives me.”
As Inuyasha stepped into the house, Souta skidded to a halt in front of him. “I thought I heard your voice. What did you do to Kagome? She ran to her room crying and shoving stuff in her pack saying she can’t travel with you anymore, and the demon named Shippo said you chose an undead priestess over her. Kagome said she won’t see us for a year, she said she had to sort out her thoughts and feelings. Then she left.” Souta said with one breath and hitting Inuyasha with all his might but doing nothing. “I’ve only seen her cry like that when dad died. What did you do to her?! Tell me!! Tell me!!!”
“Whoa, whoa, slow down and stop hitting me.” He said, trying to calm the seven year old down. “You said she can’t travel with me anymore because I chose Kikyo instead of her.” He said trying to separate all the information the boy was saying. “Where is Kagome now?” he said, sniffing the air, searching for her sent.
“She is in your time. She said she won’t be back for a year.” Souta cried.
“Did she say anything about where she was going in my time?” Inuyasha asked in desperation.
“She didn’t say anything, she just cried. Who is Kikyo, and why didn’t you pick Kagome?! Is she not good enough??!!” Souta yelled as loud as he could.
“I have got to go look for your sister. If she comes back can you tell her that I’m sorry?” He said avoiding the boys’ questions.
As Inuyasha jumped in the well he thought, ‘I guess you didn’t forgive me this time Kagome,’ and, ‘you’re not ready to go out by yourself. You’re going to get yourself killed.’
At the hut Inuyasha got accusing looks from everyone when they noticed that Kagome wasn't with him.
“Where is Kagome-chan, Inuyasha?” Sango asked.
“Some where in this time with Shippo,” he answered.
Back to Kagome and Shippo.
“I’m surprised the rest of the gang hasn’t found us yet,” Shippo said sadly, walking besides Kagome.
“Yeah, they probably think that I’m still in my time. I wonder what Souta will tell Inuyasha,” Kagome said worriedly to the little kitsune.
“Your brothers really nice and he seemed to care for you a lot.”
“He does. I just don’t give him credit for it.”
“We should get him something nice when we come back.”
“Your right,” she sighed, “We have arrived!” she yelled, looking up at a huge crater/valley.
“It looks scary, Kagome,” he whined, crawling onto her shoulder.
“Don’t worry Shippo, I’m here.” Kagome replied reassuringly.
“I heard that only people of pure hearts and souls can go through the barrier,” he said seeing the obvious blue barrier in front of them.
“And have good intentions for being there.” She said, looking up at him. “Do you think I’m good enough Shippo?”
“Of course Okaa-san. You’re the goodest person I know.” smiling at her.
“Thank you, Shippo, and you say, 'you’re the most qualified person I know,’ if you want to be formally and grammatically correct,” she corrected.
“Can we go get that fang now,” trying to dodge any other replies that my come.
“Yes, let’s hurry. Graveyards give me the creeps,” she said warily, while stepping through the barrier.
“How will we find out which one is a holy dragon?”
“By the aura that hopefully still surrounds it.”
“What if the aura is gone?”
“It’s not, cause’ I just found it,” she ran to the largest dragon skeleton (which is humongous) “Now to ask for the fang,” bending on her knees, “Please oh Holy Dragon, may we have one of your fangs, so that we may forge a sword from it, to help us gather and complete the Shikon No Tama, then finally keep it from evil ever getting a chance to wield it’s power?” eyes closed.
First, there was silence as she opened her eyes. Then with an earthquake, the top of the fang started to crack just about strait across the fang. And lastly it fell off to roll to a stop right in front of the young miko.
“Thank you very much. I swear that I shall do my very best to never use this for evil!” she said excitedly while raising herself to pick up the fang.
“We will take very good care of it!” Shippo yelled in thanks to the skeleton.
“Let‘s go Shippo before we bug this or any other dragon any further,” she whispered to the nodding kitsune as she jogged her best out of the graveyard.
“We are going to Totosais’ next aren’t we?”
“We’ll start on our journey there tomorrow. We’ll camp at the edge of that forest tonight,” she said, pointing to the trees about half a mile away. “This thing is pretty heavy and we’re going to need all the rest we can get for the long trip.”
“At least it won’t take as long as it did to get here.
“You’re right,” she sighed, “how bout once we make camp, if I’m not that tired, I’ll sing you a song to get you to sleep, since you’ve been really good, and there aren’t any other adults around?” she offered.
“I’d love that, your singing is fantastic,” he smiled. Then, as he ran ahead he yelled, “Hurry up Okaa-san!”
“I’m coming!” she yelled back, as she did her best to catch up, holding a gigantic fang in her arms.
The Others
“The sun is almost down. What are we going to do?” an exterminator asked the monk.
“Don’t look at me, he is the one who finally pushed Kagome over the edge,” he replied pointing to the hanyou.
“We’ll have to use Kikyo since she is the only other person who can collect the shards,” he answered harshly.
“You know that if we have Kikyo in our group and we run into Kagome, which we will because she has shards, she will want to come back into the group even less!” she said angrily.
“She is right you know,” the housie said, “and which protector of the jewel should actually get it?” he asked Inuyasha.
“I know, to Sango, but I don’t know, to Miroku,” he replied. “She is the only choice we have right now, and not that I’m happy about this idea, but Kagome could be dead by now or kidnapped,” he said sadly.
“I know that many things could have happened to Kagome by now,” Sango whispered, “So, even though I don’t want to, Kikyo can join us,” she sighed in defeat.
“But if we see Kagome we are going to blame everything on you,” the monk added.
Inuyasha nodded. But in his head he was still thinking about what might be happening to Kagome right now and who she might allow to join her in her quest.
Kagome again
“Are you done Shippo? It’s bedtime,” Kagome asked. A couple of days ago after giving Totosai the fang, he pledged that he would be making a sword for her. He thought it was worthy of his work and that she wouldn’t abuse the swords power. (Kagome is going to pick the sword up in month. Right now she is doing a little journey to be ready for the sword when she gets it.)
“Uh-hu, will you sing to me now?” the kitsune asked eagerly.
“All right, come lay in my arms while I put on the barrier,” and by the time he was comfortable arranged in her arms, the invisible barrier was up. “What song do you want me to sing to you tonight? And by the way we will have two guests in a couple of minutes so make it a good song,” she advised with a twinkle in her eye.
Kagome and Shippo
“They’re awake so we can go farther now.
“Too bad we had to leave so soon. I wanted to find out what the little girls name,” Shippo pouted.
“I know. But we’ll probably see them again sometime,” she said, trying to reassure him.
“Maybe,” he said, still a little disappointed. Then changing the subject, he said, “So where are we off to next?”
“I thought we could go visit my old friend Jinenji to refill our medical supply while we wait for the sword to be maid,” she said, remembering the gentle giant she met three years ago.
“How long will it take us Okaa-san?” he asked not wanting to take any long journeys.
“About five days from here,” she answered, but seeing his sad face she added, “But we can stop at as many villages you want so that you can play the children and I can help the adults.”
“OK, but that’s going to take us longer,” he said warily.
“Oh, so you don’t want to stop at the villages?” she said sarcastically.
“No! No! I do! I do!” he said, not knowing that it was just a joke.
“Any way, visiting the villages will take longer, so the wait for the sword will seem shorter and there also might find some shards, we only have nine,” she said, reassuring him that they will visit the villages. (Kagome has gotten a few shards since she left the group)