InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Sealed Fate ❯ Chapter 31

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kagome wiped the sweat from her brow, the hot sun beating down on her tanned skin. She was still trying to find her groove as a wife and a mate in the feudal era. Although she had lived here for years, it still took time to become accustomed to the laborious work that was made so easy back from her time.

But this was home.

She was proud of the house that she shared with Inuyasha. It was small, but comfortable. It smelled of fresh food and the intimate aroma of them. It gave her such an intense pride.

It belonged to them.

Taking in a deep breath of air, she allowed her head to fall back, embracing the sun's rays. Yes, she had a sense of peace and contentment.

Especially since Naraku was gone.

The woman shuddered at the memory. It wasn't one she cared to dote on. The final battle had almost cost the life of Miroku…

And Inuyasha had almost succumbed to his demon side.

When the spider demon took a shot at Kagome, Inuyasha saw red. It was the last time that bastard would ever go near his mate again. He had made sure of it.

After the final fight, they were left battered and bloody. It had taken all Kagome had not to pass out on the spot, once the adrenaline had faded.

Inuyasha had straddled a line between elation and melancholy in the days that followed. He was happy that such an evil was out of the world. The threat that had loomed over their heads, as if a ticking time bomb was no longer there.

But he also reflected on all the misery that the spider hanyou had inflicted, the damage that couldn't be repaired, the lives that couldn't be lost.

He hoped that he did those lost souls justice; he prayed that Kikyo felt avenged.

The thing that lifted him out of his mood was always Kagome. He would catch the scent of her on the wind, the sweet smell of her hair, her laughter that reached the darkest part of his soul…

And it brought him back; it anchored him to the ground, and for the first time in his life, he felt an unburdened.

He had finally been able to begin a life with his mate. And now that they didn't have those damn shards to collect, that the jewel was complete, he was finally be able to take a breather.

And he fully intended to make the most of it with his woman.

Once they returned to the village, after the celebrations, he had whisked Kagome off to his hut, barring anyone from entrance for almost a week, only leaving to gather food and bathe.

It still sent shivers down his spine when he thought about those glorious days.

He knew that that they were far from the end of their problems; he was a hanyou, and she a miko. He had wondered how the villagers would feel about him taking a wife, let alone Kagome?

He didn't give a damn, but he knew Kagome would. Over the years, he had encountered many people brave enough to make comments about he and Kagome.

It was never that it hurt her, or made her feel insecure. It made her feel pain for him. She hurt in his place.

And he didn't want her to feel an ounce of unhappiness.

If the village wouldn't accept them, he was prepared to carry her off and build her a house in the middle of nowhere.

He rather liked that idea. Then there would be no damn brat, noisy monk or needy slayer to bother them.

He could have his bitch all to himself.

But, as Kagome had predicted, they welcomed their union with open arms. They even registered the with village headmen, and were properly known as man and wife.

He felt like he was living in one of those fairy tales Kagome often read Shippo.

Gods, He missed her. He was currently out on the road, on a short journey with Miroku. How wondered how he managed to get roped into this situation?

In the days that passed, he and the monk would take extermination jobs to provide extra funds. Inuyasha did the brunt work, and Miroku swindled the villagers. Nothing much had changed.

Except for the fact that Kagome and Sango did not accompany them this time.

And he was feeling more anxious than he had in months.

They had not done anything with the jewel. Kagome had fashioned a chain around it, and wore the orb as she had the shards.

He had felt nervous about leaving her alone with the shikon, but Kagome, Sango and Kaede felt confident that they could handle whatever came their way, if anything did.

He had built quiet a reputation, and most demons didn't bother coming near the village under his protection.

The hanyou had spent the night on a hard floor, without the warmth of his woman beside him. He had difficultly falling asleep, and spent the majority of the night bringing a small cloth to the tip of his nose and inhailing. It was laced with Kagomes scent.

Yes, he was addicted to his wife.

She was admenent that she stay behind, as she was overwhelmed with preparations. Sango and the monk were finally going to tie the knot; and to say Kagome was excited was putting it mildly.

Miroku had wanted to simply follow in their footsteps and register as they had done, but Sango had other ideas. Although she had no family to witness the traditions, she felt that it was only appropriate to do so. She may had been raised in a male's role, but that did not mean her family held nontraditional expectations of her.

And after Kohaku…

Well, it was only fair to say that the slayer was not in a celebratory mood after what happened with her younger brother.

They had tried to save him, time and time again, but in the end, Naraku had taken the shard from his neck, releasing the control he had over him, but also the lifeline that kept him in this world.

She grieved, but she had expected it. She had often wondered how her brother, should he have survived, would have lived with the guilt of what he had done. She took solace in the fact the he was out of Narakus grasp, and his soul was at peace.

Miroku, for all the lecherous acts and crude remarks, was content to wait by her side until she was ready. He had waited for her for years, he wanted her to take the time she needed. He would only marry her when the smile returned to her face.

And when the time came, Kagome was over the moon. Inuyasha ground his teeth just thinking about it. She was suddenly consumed with sewing circles, cooking lessons, miko lessons from Kaede, and then preparations for a wedding?

His time with her was stretched thin.

And then when they traveled back to her mother's time…

Gods. What he would give for some time alone with her.

As he trudged down the road, step after step, he found himself feeling excitement bubble within him.

He was almost home.

The monk was chatting away, and Inuyasha suddnely realized he had not heard a word he said. His sensitive nose caught a whiff of Kagomes scent, blowing in the breeze. He could detect her anywhere.

With a quick apology in Mirokus direction, he leapt off, in search of his mate.

~.~

He found her in the fields, collecting herbs to later be turned into remedies. He couldn't help the swell of pride when he saw her. She was concentrated at the task at hand, a look of determination on her face as she bit her lip.

Gods, she was beautiful.

And strong, and smart. Feisty and kind. Accepting and funny. And at times totally bizarre in her futuristic ways.

And he loved every single part of her. He loved her from the core of her soul to the tips of her fingers. He loved the way her hair shone in the sun, the way it fell around her shoulders. The way she wrapped her legs around him at night, the forceful way she grabbed his forelocks for a kiss, the sound of her name as it tumbled off her lips in ecstasy…

She turned around, a bright smile on her face.

“Inuyasha!” She said in a breathless tone, dropping her basket and finding comfort in his arms. He caught her sharp intake of breath. She was smelling him.

He circled his arms around her small waist, burying his nose in her hair. He, more than anyone understood the power of scent.

“I missed you.” She said into his firm chest. “I don't like it when were apart.”

He rumbled in agreement, leaning down to nuzzle her neck.

“Wife,” He said, his words hot in her ear. He smirked as he felt the shiver go through her body. “I want to take you home.” His voice was thick, full of lust.

She leaned up, wrapping her arms around his neck.

“Then what are you waiting for?”

The hanyou didn't need to be told twice.

~.~

The jewel.

Kagome had held the pink orb in her hands. It was so small, for such a thing with immense power. It felt warm in her palms, as if it had a pulse.

She stared deep into it. This tiny thing held so much influence, had cost so many lives.

And was completed.

They had been unsure what to do with the jewel. Making a wish seemed hasty. They had to be careful that whatever they asked for was thought out. Everything that had to do with the jewel became warped and twisted.

Kagome had always imagine that directly after the spider fell, the jewels fate would naturally fall into place. But with the pain of losing Kohaku, the stress of the battle, the fatigue that they felt deep in their bones…

They had decided to wait.

But as the time ticked on, the days passed into weeks, nothing except a feeling of incomplete business was accomplished with the shikon.

But the biggest reason, was fear.

They were terrified of what would happen once they used the jewel. Would Kagome be sent back? Unable to use the well? Would the jewel require a new priestess to fight the war that raged within?

The miko sat outside, enjoying the spectacular view of the stars, inuyasha by her side. For some reason, she knew it was time to use the jewel. She felt it, as if a whisper from her soul, that tonight under the stars, was the time to complete this journey.

She was filled with a feeling that she couldn't put into words. The pull of the shikon was so strong. She wondered how she had lived with it inside of her for so long without feeling its effect.

“Whats wrong?” He asked. She had been lost in thought for a while.

“Tonight has to be the night we do it, Inuyasha.” She said, her voice more than a whisper.

“Eh?” He was confused. Where had this come from? He felt on edge, anxious.

“I just… know. It had to be tonight. It has to be now.”

“Are you sure?”

Kagome nodded her head in agreement.

“L-let me get Sango and Miroku. They-“

“No. I think its supposed to be just the two of us, Inuyasha.”

He tried to swallow, the lump in his throat growing by the second. Taking a deep breath, he shook his head.

“Okay.”

Suddenly, she felt like it didn't belong to her. She thrust the jewel towards Inuyasha.

“What are you doing?” he asked, furrowing his brows together.

“Don't you want it?” She said, biting her lower lip.

“I…” He started. “I don't want to become a full demon anymore…”

He thought she knew that. Did she really think that becoming a full dog demon…

She gave him a kind smile. Relief flooded him. Of course she had.

“No, I know that.” She said, her voice warm. “But… I think it should be you.”

“Me?”

“Mhm. You have had the most taken from you. This jewel… it shaped your life… It's the reason that we started this journey. It seems only right that you end it.”

“Kagome…” He started. “I don't think I can do it. I don't think-“

“Just wish for what you think is right. I trust you.”

She took a hand in his clawed one and gave a squeeze.

Inuyasha closed his eyes, and the answer came to him. It was clear as day.

“I wish that Miridoko would win her battle, that her soul may rest. That the jewel would disappear for good.”

The jewel burned in his hand, and the dog demon struggled to keep his hold. It was like trying to control a burning fire.

All at once, it shattered, sprinkling pink dust all around them.

Kagomes sharp intake of breath alerted him before anything else.

“In-Inuyasha… its….”

“Thank you.” Miridoko said. Her voice was other worldly, a strong yet compassionate one. “You have fought well, and made an unselfish wish. You have freed my soul. And for that, I am in your debt.”

“Were glad you will finally be able to find peace.” Kagome offered.

“And I shall. After all these years, I will finally rest.” She said, gratitude flooding her voice.

“Im glad it worked.” Inuyasha muttered out, at a loss of words.

“You have both given up so much to accomplish this goal, but know that it is not without rewards.”

“We don't need any rewards.” Inuyasha said quickly. “As long as I can stay with Kagome, that's all I ask.”

“Fear not, Inuyasha.” The woman said. “Yours is a union the Gods themselves have brought together. They have no desire to take you apart. In fact, for your selfless service, they are going to grant you something magnificent.”

Kagome chanced a look at the hanyou.

“The life of a demon is almost immortal. Although you are a half demon, your life span is considerably longer than that of a humans. The Gods have chosen to link your lifespans. So long as you breathe, Inuyasha, your mate will also. She will age the same as you.”

She couldn't help the tears that fell down her cheeks.

“Wh- How?” She stuttered.

“The Gods have smiled on you both. You have faced evil, and remained pure of heart. Your souls were destined to be together. You have many years ahead of you, young miko.” She said. “My time has run short. You have my eternal gratitude.”

And with that her soul drifted into the sky.

Inuyasha pulled his mate into his arms, pressing frantic kisses to her face.

“Are… are you okay with what happened Kagome? Please… don't cry…”

“Inuyasha…” She said, catching her breath. “I cant believe that I will get to spend not just a lifetime, but many with you. I couldn't be happier!”

“Really?” He asked, relief in his voice. “Its…. Its not always a blessing.” He said. “And seeing those you love pass away, while you don't age… And you're going to get so fucking tired of me, and-“

“Inuyasha, we could live for the next 1000 years, and it still wouldn't be enough time with you.” She gripped the chain around his neck, the one she had given him so long ago, and pulled him down into a passionate kiss.

~.~

A/N:: All that's left is the epilogue! I'll try to get it out this week :)