InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Kagsha ❯ Secrets Revealed ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Inuyasha turned towards the village before taking to the trees and making it back before the sun had fully set. Shippo was curled up, wrapped snugly in the sleeve of Inuyasha's haori, having cried himself before. From inside the hut came the sounds of Kaede, Sango, and Miroku talking. Before stepping inside, Inuyasha quietly eavesdropped on their conversation. Something about Kagsha's father. Whatever. It isn't important. At that moment, Shippo awoke, yawned, stretched, and asked, "Do we get ramen?"

"Quiet, runt." Inuyasha cursed the lost opportunity of finding out more information about Kagsha. He pulled aside the woven rush door cover and stepped in. The three adults quieted considerably, then began to get dinner ready. All seemed enthralled in their food. Finding no way to bring up Kagsha's father without betraying that he had eavesdropped, Inuyasha just let himself forget about her.

"Shit, Shit, Shit, Shit! How could I have forgotten." I can't stay with anyone after sunset. During the day, I have short black hair and look entirely human, but at night, when the moon rises, my hair grows to my waist and turns silver streaked with black. I grow claws and fangs and my ears turn into black doggy ears. As if it wasn't bad enough, all the brown disappears from my eyes and they turn completely gold. I wish I had a spell to maintain a human illusion for every hour of the day, but it's so hard to keep it up just for the day. Curse my father. Why couldn't he have been human? Kagsha stood in the center of a clearing in the woods. She remembered when her mother had told her that because of her heritage, she looked mostly human with only a few differences. At the age of five, she had been taught a concealing spell, but her miko powers were not powerful enough to keep the spell up all day. She was forced to spend nights away from all other people lest her secret be discovered. She couldn't help but wonder what these feudal era people would do if they knew the truth.

Back at Kaede's hut, Inuyasha sat in the corner, Shippo asleep in his arms, much like he had every night since Kagome had left for good and he had become the kit's only surrogate parent. Sitting in the opposite corner was Miroku, in his lap Kilala, and leaning on his shoulder, Sango. They were all wondering where Kagsha was and why she had left so abruptly. When Inuyasha had told them what she had said about Kagome caring about her and her power over the beads, they were not skeptical, but had kept quiet, nervously fidgeting. Inuyasha hadn't really noticed their reactions, so engrossed in his thoughts as he was.

"Inuyasha, there is all sorts of demons out there, you know. She's never been here before, she could be killed. I think you should go and find her." Sango was worried about Kagome's daughter, though, to Inuyasha, she seemed to have gotten a soft spot for Kagsha. She shifted her weight to be closer to Miroku as she stared at Inuyasha. Miroku absently stroked Kilala's fur and hugged Sango, still in deep shock over Kagome's death. Seeing how he had no choice but to find her, Inuyasha gave a grunt, laid Shippo down and ran out, checking the wind for Kagsha's scent.

Five miles to the south, Inuyasha picked up a scent that he had never smelt before. It smelled faintly like Kagsha, but there was a more woodsy smell mixed into it. Though he would never admit it, he loved Kagsha's scent: coconuts and forest pines. Now the scent he smelled was that of a forest in the dawn mixed with a little coconut. Since this was the only new smell in the area, he hurried off to find it.

Kagsha sat in the clearing, cross legged, head down, and ears flicking around. Suddenly, she tensed. Slightly to the north there was a slight crack of a twig. She lifted her head and inhaled. Her nostrils were filled with the smell of pines and autumn days: unmistakably Inuyasha. Shit! He can't see me like this and there's still four hours to sunrise. Damn spell! She rose to her feet and looked around frantically for a hiding place. Inuyasha's scent was getting close. She was trapped.

Ah! There...in that clearing, That weird scent is strongest there. Inuyasha dropped out of the tree and into the clearing. In the branches of a tree opposite, Kagsha watched his calculating eyes until they jerked up at her. "I know you're up there. Who are you and what have you done to Kagsha? You smell like her." Inuyasha watched as the tree branches shuddered and a figure dropped into the clearing. "Oh shit! Who the... No... what the hell are you?"

Seeing that her hiding place had been discovered, Kagsha dropped out of the tree. When she lifted her head, and heard him whisper, Kagsha sighed and stood. The spell had changed her appearance, she knew. In her real form, she was 5 foot 8 inches, had waist length silver hair streaked with black, and small dog ears. Her claws and fangs were much smaller that Inuyasha's, roughly half his size, and her eyes were now identical to his. Besides that, she was dressed in an exact copy of Inuyasha's haori, except hers was more tight fitting and black. She had a rosary around her neck too, except hers was a little smaller, only four inches larger that a choker.

Oh, hell no! If I didn't know better, I would think she was related to me. She has my eyes... Wait. She is not related to me. As if." So, Kagsha? I knew you weren't fully human, yet you don't look like a half breed. What are you and give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you." Inuyasha tensed and flaunted his claws as he gave off a growl.

"I am part demon. I don't know what kind, how much, or anything. I am here to find my father. And you shouldn't kill me because if Kagome would have known that you were trying to kill me, she would have made you sit!" Kagsha smirked as Inuyasha held another conversation with the dirt. She turned and said "Since I'm sure you would tell the others, I’ll do you a favor and show them myself."

As Inuyasha tore himself from the dirt he noticed her getting ready to jump into a tree and yelled out "Why would Kagome have cared about your death? How do you know her? And how come you looked human earlier." Kagsha hesitated, but then jumped off towards the village. "Damn wench!" He sighed. At times, the similarities between her and Kagome were shocking.

He stood there in the clearing, looking towards where Kagsha had gone as he thought about Kagome.

Flashback-

"Kagome, where are you going." Inuyasha ran after her. At the sound of his voice, Kagome stiffened, looked at the ground and began to run.

"Kagome!!..."

She stopped and turned. "Don't follow me Inuyasha! Go back. I don't want this last goodbye to include a crater with your shape. Please."

"Why are you leaving? What did the monk do? I'll kill him."

"No! It wasn't Miroku. Just... Goodbye, Inuyasha. Goodbye forever."

With that, Kagome had jumped into the well. He supposed that she had sealed it on the other side because he was never able to go through it again.

"Its been two years. Pull yourself together." Inuyasha sighed and began to walk back to the village.

As she leapt through the trees towards the village, Kagsha wondered about two things: how to break the news to everyone, and who her father was. Oh, holy shit!! She skidded to a stop, lost her balance, and crashed to the ground. She lay there, kissing the dirt as thoughts spun through her head. Could I be Inuyasha's daughter?!?! Hell, no! ... Ok, maybe. She sat up, crossed her legs Indian style, and leaned against a tree. Ok, think through this logically, Kagsha. Similarities: Eye color. Rosary. Hair color. Dog ears. Clothing. A deep love for Kagome.... Differences: umm... He's more of a hothead...no, wait. Mom always called me a hothead. Temper...which we share. Ear color...that's stupid. I obviously got mom's color there. Hmm. He's male and I'm female? Agh! I am his daughter!!!!!!!! He is going to kill me when he finds out...