InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Larka ❯ The Prophesy ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Tale of Two Larka

summary:

Kagome never had an ordinary life. She cant remember anything before she was found during a flood by a CIA agent's son when she was about 7 yrs old. She cant go out in public without a lot of covering either. Why? She has wings and a tail, which doesnt exactally allow her to fit in with everyday life. She manages to stay hidden from the outside world, but what happens when someone discovers her true self?

Disclaimer: dont own inuyasha or kagome... but I do own Watches-Over-Forest and Watchful-Owl. they are my bead and leather clad buddies. I know nothing about native americans, so if anything is wierded out, dont get offended.

~Prologue~

904 AD

During a time of great war between tribes, thousands of men, women, and children who lived in the regions of the Delaware River, were ruthlessly killed by invaders from the west who were seeking to attain vast amounts of land and power, going against traditional ways, and being led by an evil chief, who controlled those beneath him with hatred and fear, rather than compassion.

Deep in the forest, there was a small Native American village that lived in peace, oblivious to the chaos and destruction that was steadily approaching their lands. It was home to generations of celebrated and accomplished shamans and medicine- men. One however, was exceptionally powerful, and in this time, before the settlers came from over the sea, he was known throughout the continent, even without mail systems and other nonsense like that.

Watches-Over-Forest opened his eyes suddenly, startling the children that were sitting about him.

The old medicine man, clad in beads and leather, had fallen into a deep trance, stronger than he ever had before. He had been in a state of semi-consciousness for four days, and his young apprentice, Watchful-Owl, let out a sigh of relief. He had begun to become worried for the old man's health.

"What did you see sir?" he eagerly asked his master. Watchful-Owl was fascinated with visions and other aspects of the medicine line of work. Much to his dismay, he had yet to witness a vision of his own, and was very worried about it.

"Larka."

That was the only thing the great man would say for days. Ask him what he wants to eat, "Larka." Ask about a raccoon wound, "Larka."

This sparked Watchful-Owl's curiosity, so having had enough of the suspense, he went into the old man's hut to look at the scrolls which held accounts of every vision, big and small, seen by every shaman, going back approximately 15 generations.

He skimmed the scrolls, looking for the word `Larka' and finally found it after going through 34 of them.

It said that a larka was a being from legend, an entity of the 3 worlds, as their tribe called them, land, sea, and air. A larka resembles a human, but with the wings of an eagle to soar through the clouds, the breath of a fish to dive to the deepest depths, and the attribute of a dog to connect them to the land of their birth. A male larka holds dog ears above his head, and a feamale had a tail that reaches to her ankles. When they mate, each would attain the other's land and air attributes, resulting in a mixing of wing color and growing a tail/ ears.

Amazing. I wonder why master could possibly have seen of these creatures. They are from legend. A myth. ... But maybe...

His thoughts were disrupted by a voice coming from Watches- Over- Forest's cot. He instantly recognized the old man's dry rough voice, resulted from years of chanting over dry flames.

Watchful- Owl was about to fetch him some water, until the tone and way of which he spoke reached his ears. His master was prophesying!

He quickly dropped the water container, opting instead for some scrolls and a charcoal stick, for it was one of his duties as apprentice to record any and all prophecys his master has.

He darted into the room and listened to that the man said.

As he listened, his eyes became wider and wider, and he became short on breath, as he intently listeded, scroll forgotten.

This was no ordaniry prophecy about crops and births, but something much bigger and far more important. More important than he could even begin to comprehend in his isolated life. And he sat there, listening to what was said, scroll and any thoughts of writing pushed out of hhis head.

The winged ones

similar, and opposite

Plagued with the greif of solitude

and the knowledge of loss

One fosters anger

The other love

Living day by day

one not knowing

of the glory of the larka

both with the belief they are the last of their kind

but are they truley alone?

Listen to your heart,

for dreams can be real

Listen

and they will meet

Black and white

The opposite of expectations

Black stands for love and all that is good and pure

White plagued by anger and overrun by injustice

two opposites clash

love

hate

fear

joy

all stand before them

and in their wake

When black and white begin to merge

one more

joins their small world

unforseen

unwanted

an enemy the likes of which neither has seen before

to defeat this foe

white and black

must come together as one

the unity of two opposites

both strengthening and weakening the other

only then

can they save themselves

... and those they love.

When Watches- Over- Forest finished, Watchful-Owl came back to his senses he realised his error and quickly reached for the scroll to write the prophecy from memory.

However, by some cruel twist of fate, the intruders from the west found their way to the village at that moment, and began to ruthlessly slaughter everyone in the peaceful village.

The prophecy became lost in the sands of time, though not what it predicted, for a prophecy is nothing but the future put into words, and though the words are lost, the future will continue.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

SI: wahhhh! I just killed off my buddies. nice aren't I? lol

anyway, R&R peas. tell me what you think, and suggestions are welcome. I havent written much more yet

This chap really has nothing to do with the story, but the prophesy is what its centered around, so no more native american villages or anything like that, but I figured this would make for a good opening. it will be inu / kag btw, tell me if you want miroku/ sango too

coming soon: jump ahead about 1100 years in the future to present day, kagome has a dream, learn about kagome, miroku, and sango, kagome goes out for a flight, and someone happens to have a camera handy

~ ttfn. rember, R & R!!!

now to study for my midterms. groan