InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ All I have: Two Months ❯ A Visit from Death ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: I'm sorry if this doesn't make too much since. I promise that it will as the story progresses. It really does have a lot to do with whether Kagome lives or dies.
 
 
 
Chapter Four:A Visit from Death
 
`I like a look of agony, because I know it's true.'
Emily Dickinson
 
 
 
 
Kagome struggled beneath the grasp. She felt a rush in her palms that she had seldom felt before. She raised them to meet the face of her attacker, and she let loose a powerful blow. Immediately she felt the pressure on her face lift and she could breathe again. She tried to stand but only found herself weaker. She looked to the ground where the demon had flung too. She hoped like hell that it hadn't been Koga, because if it had she would've let Inuyasha kill him for doing that to her.
 
To her relief, it hadn't been Koga. It was something else, something unconscious. Kagome felt the dizziness return to her. She sat down and rested her head on the roots of the tree. She ran a hand through her black hair and tilted her head to the side. When her eyes focused on the spot where the attacker had fallen unconscious, no one was there.
 
She jerked up, a little to fast, out of fear and looked around her. No one was there. She felt dread creep up on her. She opened her mouth to scream, but no words came out. She had lost her voice. The well-known feeling of oncoming suffering began to encase her in a shell of pure torment. She cried and tried to stand only to find that she couldn't move. Tears formed in her eyes that she let flow freely down her cheek.
 
“Yes, little priestess, cry. That look of agony, how I love it so,” a beautiful voice echoed around her. It surprised her. She had expected to hear a bone chilling, hideous, hate filled voice. The voice was none of these, but a beautiful voice. A soothing, deep voice that she felt she could melt into. This did not ease the fear that was surrounding her, but only escalated it.
 
Before her, in an instant, there was a man. A very handsome man dressed in a black shirt and pants. They were clothes from her time, not from the feudal era. He lifted his head so his long, black bangs didn't hide anything from her view. The only thing that took away from his appearance was a very long scar from his right eyebrow to his chin. It cut straight through his empty, dark blue eyes. He turned to Kagome and smiled. It was a devilish smile, one that made her blood freeze.
 
“That look; that is the only thing real in this world. Or at least real to me. You see priestess, I don't see life as you humans do. Hell, I hardly see life at all,” he began to walk in front of her, throwing his arms up at certain parts. Never once did he relieve the feeling of dark beauty that hung around them both.
 
“But, I guess it is my curse. Do you know who I am little one?” he reached up and cupped Kagome's chin in his hand. She trembled a little, fear pouring out of her brown eyes. “I should've known you wouldn't know. Alas, I was kind of hoping that my reputation would have reached the ears of the little demon slaying school girl who travels through time. No, oh well.”
 
He walked over to a flower and touched it with snow white hands. It shriveled up, black as coal. He then plucked it and took a sniff. His face contorted into a half grin as he brought it up to the face of his capture. Kagome took a sniff and nearly fainted. It smelled foul, like decaying flesh. “Don't like it much do you? Most humans don't like the smell of death. It seems the humans who are on my waiting list are the ones most prone to hatred of my dear sweet flowers. Well Kagome, have you figured it out yet?” Kagome just stared at him, fear still evident in her eyes. He sighed and came within an inch of her face.
 
“I am Death Kagome. I take those who are dying to a better place, or a worse place, depends really on how you've acted. I also give, let me see how is the best way to put this,” he put his finger to his chin in thought. Kagome looked at him again. He didn't look Japanese, but rather like an American. A black haired, pale as a ghost American who apparently likes the smell of decaying things. “Like what you see do you? Child, don't be so ready to come with me.” He snapped her out of her trance. His stare went from playfully dark, to deadly serious in an instant.
 
“I take souls to the next life. This means that if you come with me I'll take you. Don't fret child I haven't come to take you, yet. I am just here to warn you. You may yet survive this terrible fate that was given to you, but you will have to sacrifice something great to do so,” Kagome's eyes widened as she saw a small smirk appear on his handsome face. “You really are something Kagome. Well, I must go. I have appointments. People are dying, young ladies crying, and I ain't getting no younger taking care of cancer ridden time traveler's such as you. So I bid you adieu Lady Kagome, good luck.”
 
“Oh yes and before I go, take these. You need them a lot more than I do.” He placed something in her hand and with that he turned and faded into the darkness surrounding them. Kagome looked down in her hands and found two sacred jewel shards. She was free to move, to speak. Although her voice had become a little harsh, she could still move.
 
“Kagome!” a far off voice sounded in her head. She looked up to see no one there.
 
“Inuyasha! Inuyasha!” she began to scream. Her voice was choked at first but now cam in more even and sweet sounding. If not a little frantic.
 
“Kagome wake up,” Inuyasha sat shaking a sleeping Kagome. She was mumbling his name over and over until it finally came out as a scream. She rose with it, like she had just awaken from a terrible dream. Inuyasha embraced her. They sat in silence for a moment before Inuyasha pulled away and looked at her.
 
“Are you okay? You weren't breathing,” he asked concerned about her. She looked up at him and smiled a small smile.
 
“Yeah, I just had a strange dream,” Kagome spoke in a soft voice. Inuyasha turned and once again gave her a ride on his back. Kagome gingerly climbed on. She rested her head between his shoulder blades. She could faintly hear his soft heartbeat. Thump, thump, thump. It was almost like a lullaby. She lifted her hand up to her face and looked into it. Just like in her dream, there were two pale pink jewel shards sitting right there.
 
`It was real, but it couldn't have been,' she thought as she grabbed on tight to Inuyasha's haori. He responded by holding her closer to him. Kagome stared at the passing land and lost herself in deep thought.
 
“You will have to sacrifice something great to survive.”