InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ All I have: Two Months ❯ A Visitor ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 5: A Visitor
For Yesterday is but a Dream,
And To-morrow is only a Vision;
But To-day well lived makes
Every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness
,”
Kalidasa
 
 
“Mrs. Higurashi! Please let me come in!” an out of breath voice came threw the door. Hanae rushed to the door and quickly opened it. Standing there in the pouring rain was Kagome's doctor Mr. Tanoshii. He had short brown hair, and dark blue eyes. He was a short man who didn't have high self-esteem; he always slumped over. Hanae ushered him in and offered tea and a towel.
 
“Mr. Tanoshii, what brings you here in this rain?” Hanae asked as she handed him a towel. He eagerly accepted it and began to wipe off immediately. He hit his face and knocked his glasses askew. He quickly fixed them and then stared apologetically at Hanae.
 
“I have come with pretty bad news. After extensively studying Kagome's condition, I have found something quite interesting,” he pulled his briefcase up and began sorting through all kinds of papers.
 
Hanae took a sip of her tea and looked at him. It didn't really matter what he said, there was no way to get the information to Kagome now. “Yes sir, please continue.”
 
“You see, Kagome's has a form of brain cancer that will make her very tired. She will want to sleep constantly. These sleeps, they will be long and deep and Kagome will not be able to come out of them on her own. Please Mrs. Higurashi do not allow her to sleep somewhere alone; she may never wake back up,” Mr. Tanoshii explained. He pulled out a paper and handed it to Hanae. She took it and read over it. Her face went from an unreadable stone to an extremely worried mother's face.
 
“What do you mean doctor? What does this mean here?!” tears began to fall from her eyes as she points at the paper furiously. Mr. Tanoshii walks over and places a hand on her back. She was trembling, shaking uncontrollably.
 
“Hanae, please,” he gently patted. Hanae stopped shaking so severely. She looked up at the doctor with tear filled eyes. “Hanae, it means that she will sleep, very deeply. Then one day, she will fall into a deep sleep. She will never wake up. It will be painless. She won't feel anything.”
 
“Can she overcome it?” she whispered. The doctor bent down and looked deep into her eyes. For a minute, she swore she saw a hint of mischievous green and gold dance in his dark brown eyes.
 
“I would keep her very close, I do not think that she can,” he frowned and rose up. Hanae looked at him furiously.
 
“You do not understand! My daughter left to stay with her aunt and uncle in America this month,” she said the latter more calmly. Mr. Tanoshii looked into her eyes, his own filled with sadness.
 
“Alright, just call them and let them know,” he patted her back once more and grabbed his things.
 
Mr. Tanoshii said his goodbyes and walked out the door. He looked around the shrine till his eyes fell on the old well house. A smile spread wide across his face. He turned and walked down the steps, the same smile sweeping across his face. Once he was at the bottom of the steps he turned to go on his way home when he stopped. He took off his glasses and tucked them away.
 
“Don't worry, she's gone,” he spoke, his voice somewhat different than before. A woman walked out of the shadows. She had long red hair and bright green eyes. She walked over to the doctor and looped her arm around his.
 
“Koishii, she meant a lot to you didn't she?” the woman said. Mr. Tanoshii just nodded as they walked away. The woman stared back up the steps to the shrine. There, in that house, lived the woman who stole her beloved's heart away. She sighed and turned back to meet the eyes of the man she loved. She knew that he would never love her the way he had loved that woman. That woman who he had to break the bad news to.