InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ East and West ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N I want to thank phoenixfire17 for reviewing :D I actually am working two chapters ahead of what I have posted so that I don't leave those reading hanging for too long. I also try to type a page at least a day…for me the middle part is the hardest…the beginning and the ending write themselves (I already know the ending, I just have to get there…*sigh*). Here is where Britain begins to fit into the story. Enjoy and please review :D Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On her return to her mansion, Subaru checked on Nanashi and Sesshoumaru. Her staff told her that neither had stirred from their room. Opening the door, she found Sesshoumaru lying on the floor next to the girl's futon, his hand resting on her temple. His eyes opened when he heard the door move.

"Has she slept all day?"

"Yes, she's so exhausted; I wouldn't let her exert herself."

"More dreams?"

"Yes, but not so bad."

"You're stopping them?"

"I thought it best."

"Hmmm…let her wake in the morning, she'll need food."

"Yes, Subaru-sensei."

She closed the door, masking her worry until she had reached her own rooms. How would he react to the girl's history? How would she react? How was she going to tell Inutaisho? She walked to her window and watched the sun set, sighing deeply as she leaned against the frame. She stood in quiet contemplation until the stars were bright in the sky. Sighing again, she pushed herself off the frame and prepared for bed. She knew that no answers would come from the heavens for the dilemma she faced. In the morning she would go to Inutaisho after she was certain the girl would be well for the day. Her thoughts still troubled, she laid down on her futon.

In her mind's eye, she saw a great golden bird of prey swoop down and land before her. As she watched, the bird transformed into a man, but unlike any man she'd ever seen. He has bright golden hair that frizzed away from his head and covered the lower half of his face. His eyes were the color of the midday skies of autumn. He was dressed in hides and had a pelt across his shoulders. His expression made her think that he found her looks strange as well. How long they appraised each other, she could not guess, but was surprised when he spoke. At first, she could not understand what the sounds were, and then, "Milady, you are distressed?"

His inflection and pronunciation were odd, but she understood the words and the compassion behind them. "Yes, I have a most unpleasant task to accomplish and people I care for will be hurt."

"Indeed a puzzle. May I…." he paused and a look of chagrin crossed his face. "Ah, forgive me, lady, I have not introduced myself. I am called Taliesin. I am a Bard." He looked at Subaru expectantly.

This day is full of novel experiences, she thought as she replied "My name is Subaru. I am a demon trainer." She almost chuckled when Taliesin looked as confused as she felt.

"You have the advantage of me, milady," he said

A frown flitted across Subaru's face. The words were familiar, but how he put them together made it difficult for her to understand. He seemed to understand her difficulty. "I am not familiar with any other demon trainers. Where I am, we don't have any demons, so no trainers," he said with a smile and a shrug.

Subaru returned the smile. "We have no bards here. Demons are children of the gods who are not humans. Demons are closer to the gods and have more of their powers. Some are more powerful than others. I train the most powerful, those whose duty it is to rule over other demons."

Taliesin touched his forehead and bowed, an odd gesture to Subaru, and said, "Indeed, this is a great honor for me. I have never had the privilege of meeting any one like you. We have ones we call the fair folk, who might be what you call demons. Bards are teachers, musicians, priests. We commune with the gods and attempt to maintain harmony between the tribes. If that fails, we ensure the rules of fair combat are obeyed." He sighed as though this duty weighed heavily on him. "We attempt to bridge the gap between the gods and men. Milady Subaru, your distress called me to you. What causes you such pain?"

Subaru sighed. What harm was there in sharing her problems with a dream, if it was a dream? And, if it were not a dream, then this Taliesin must be very powerful. "Sixteen years ago, one of the Great Lord's family went missing. I could not find her at the time and he was greatly upset. The lady was the wife of his wife's brother and much loved. Last night, the lady's obi was brought back with a girl. The girl is the daughter of the lady, but not of her husband and the lady died giving birth. Added to that, I sent the lord's son, not knowing who the girl would be and he has developed very protective feelings for the girl. She was mistreated before he found her and I worry what he will do when he learns the circumstances of her birth, almost more than I worry over his father's reaction."

Taliesin looked thoughtful, "This is indeed a difficult situation, milady." He seemed to sit down, but in the landscape of Subaru's mind, there was no where to sit, only a vast expanse of what looked like the night sky. "The girl's ummm…father…does he live?" Subaru only shook her head at this. His expression changing from thought to curiosity, he asked, "Milady, if you could not trace the lady before, how did you learn this history?"

Subaru flustered slightly, Taliesin's directness and quickness of thought so different from that to which she was accustom. "I went to where the girl grew up and there I encountered the memories of her mother. She killed the man that fathered the child as she escaped from him."

"Ah, I see. It seems the lady wished her story to be known, then. I think wisdom, however, would keep it from the girl and the boy until they are better prepared to know. Your lord, however, does need to know that the lady is now at peace and her daughter has returned. Explain to him that it is not wise at this time to tell his son or the girl because of her health. I am confident that your lord is a wise man or he would not be great."

Subaru thought this over quietly. It did seem the wisest course of action, and Inutaisho did need to know. She thought that if he knew Amaya had avenged herself he would take no further actions. Slowly, she sighed and nodded, "You are wise, Taliesin. I thank you." She bowed deeply to him.

"I am sure that the time will come when you can help me, milady. I must return now. I look forward to further conversations with you, Lady Subaru." He changed back into the bird of prey and flew out of her vision.