InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ The First Journey ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The night of the trial journey arrived. It was a clear night, the stars bright in the cold dark sky. Sesshoumaru sat across from Subaru as she meditated, talking with Taliesin, she said. He wouldn't admit it, but he was nervous about this trip. He wanted to pace around the room, to somehow work out his anxiety, but he held himself still, waiting instead. A sharp intake of breath let him know that Subaru was leaving her meditation. She looked at him, her eyes slightly off focus and said, "I can feel his signal. Let's go."

She stood up and grabbed his hand, pulling him into the void after her. Ahead, he could see a blue flame in the distance. Normally, the void was just that, void. There was nothing in the void, only blackness and the sensation of motion only because he knew he was moving. Subaru pulled him toward the flame, not speaking because no words could have been heard anyway. He followed, mostly because his arm was attached to his body, not from any volition or will of his own. He found himself, after a time, in a day lit forest, but it was different from the forests he was used to. Instead of the musky pines, this forest was filled with skeletal trees and the smell of decaying plants. There was no snow around that he could see, though the air smelled of it. More immediately, he noticed a circle scratched into the ground around them. In the center, a bon fire was blazing merrily.

Opposite him and Subaru was a blonde man whose chin was covered in a week's growth of hair. This man's eyes blazed darkly in the firelight. He smiled brightly at them over the fire. "Merry meet, Lady Subaru! Merry meet, Lord Sesshoumaru! Welcome, welcome, and welcome again!" Laughing merrily, he made his way around the fire to stand closer to them. "I am so glad that you made it safely!" He embraced Subaru, leaving her flustered and turned toward Sesshoumaru, holding out his hand. Sesshoumaru raised his hand, confused, surprised when the blonde man grabbed his wrist and pumped his arm. "Welcome to Britain! I am Taliesin. I am so glad to meet you in person, Sesshoumaru." He stepped back, indicating a jug and mugs, "Please, join me in a drink to celebrate your arrival. Just, please, stay in the circle for now. No one else will bother us here." He sat and poured three mugs of a clear, golden fluid and passed two of the mugs to Subaru and Sesshoumaru, taking the third for himself. He held his mug up at eye level, saluting them, "To the Triple Lady and Her Lord for your safe journey." He tipped the mug to his lips and drank deeply. Subaru and Sesshoumaru followed suit, surprised by the sweetly alcoholic beverage. Subaru and Taliesin chatted while Sesshoumaru sat quietly, thinking. He could almost like this man, except that he wanted Nanashi to come here to be tried. He looked around, finding the landscape bleak without the green that persisted even in winter at home.

Sesshoumaru was pulled from his observation of the surrounding forest by Taliesin's voice saying his name. He looked at the man who was watching him expectantly. He must have been asking a question. What did he say? How is it that I did not catch it? Embarrassed, but unwilling to show it, Sesshoumaru frowned slightly at the man. To his discomfort, Taliesin laughed. "I was asking if you think you could follow the same signal I set for Subaru?"

Sesshoumaru glanced at Subaru, who had laughter in her own eyes, before answering, "I believe I could. It was the only thing visible in the void."

"Hmmm…maybe we should have a trial where you come yourself? Will Nanashi have trouble traveling with you?" Taliesin's eyes showed concern for the girl.

A shadow of a frown crossed Sesshoumaru's face. If Nanashi tried to fight him while traveling through the void, there could be serious problems. "We will also have trials before we attempt the journey here." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Subaru nod in approval. He didn't like that she was doing this to him, to her. It was just then something odd struck him and the question was on his lips before he could censor himself, "Why can we understand you? Do we speak the same language?" He knew that the humans from the west of the waters around Japan didn't speak the same language, how could this one, so far away?

Taliesin, smiled, his eyes crinkling at the corners, "No, we don't speak the same language. I added a spell to the signal I set up that would allow you to understand and be understood. You ask good questions, when you pay attention."

Sesshoumaru fought a growl that wanted to escape his throat. The comment was justified, even if he didn't like it. His temper wasn't helped any when Subaru added, "While you are here, Taliesin will be your sensei, as well as Nanashi's."

It was now Taliesin who was confused, "Milady, what is a `sensei'? That word did not translate."

Subaru smiled, "Sensei is, in the simplest terms, a teacher or master, but there is more to the relationship than just a teacher-student relationship."

Several emotions flickered over Taliesin's face as he watched the fluid in his mug. He looked up, a tinge of pink on his cheeks, "I never expected to be teaching one of the fair folk. This is much more than I expected." He focused on Sesshoumaru's face, "Fair folk are what we call demons here, or at least as far as we've been able to establish."

Sesshoumaru found this descriptor amusing, given his coloring, but refrained from comment. "Subaru-sensei feels that you have methods that you can train us in, therefore, it is true." Even if I don't like it, he added silently.

Taliesin bowed over his lap, "I will endeavor to be worthy of you high esteem, milady."

They finished their drinks in silence, the males deep in thought, Subaru observing them both. When the drinks were finished, she sighed, "We do need to return. It would be good for us to get some sleep before we face tomorrow. I do have one more question, if I may, though."

"Milady, please ask."

"Why would no one bother us in the circle?"

Taliesin raised his eyebrows in surprise and raised his hand to point at the circle sketched into the ground. "When the circle is cast, it joins the two worlds, the physical and the spiritual. If the circle is broken, then the repercussions could be severe, because the two are meant to be separated. Within the circle, it is possible to work with both worlds. No one here would even think of breaking a circle, no matter what was happening within it."

Subaru frowned, absorbing this information as she rose to her feet. Sesshoumaru followed suit, also considering what was said. "You have given us much to consider, Taliesin," Subaru bowed to him.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Sesshoumaru bowed.

Taliesin held up his hand, "Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again, Lady Subaru, Lord Sesshoumaru. Safe journey to you both."

Sesshoumaru entered the void independently since he knew where he was going. No matter what, he could always find home. He found himself in his own room, exhausted from the long day and the long journeys through the void. Shucking his outer clothing, he fell on the bed, his mind reeling as his body fell asleep.

A/N: I'm sorry about the long delay in updating this. I've had a lot of trouble getting the two males to work together without Nanashi around…Kennas and phoenixfire17 thank you both for your reviews. I have received alexandra cai's picture and have it posted for others to see at memberscoxnet/hcolleen/Tenshi< /u> jpg (I think hyperlinks get lost on fanfiction net…so replace spaces with dots and it'll work) I should be able to get the next chapter up sooner…Enjoy :D