InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Ever After ❯ Prologue and Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Hello again! And you thought I'd make you wait another year? (lol) Many of you may recognize this story line as it is one of my very favorite movies. This story is just for fun and something I did to bring together two things I enjoyed immensely. For the most part, it does follow the movie but it has a special flavor and mixture of both myself and the wonderful world of Inuyasha. So I hope you enjoy and I can't wait to hear what you think of my little version of Ever After.
 
One more thing, I put the Prologue and Chapter One together so that I wouldn't confuse myself later when posting. So technically, you all received a triple posting this weekend! The last chapter of Sublimation and the first two of this new fic. Don't I deserve a cookie? (lol)
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to either Inuyasha or the movie Ever After. The former belongs solely to Rumiko Takahashi while the latter belongs solely to TM, Fox and its related entities. I just like to play…
 
* * *
 
Prologue
 
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
 
- Lao Tsu
 
* * *
 
The sharp wind of the chilly winter's afternoon found a crack in the elegant carriage, sneaking inside and disrupting the warmth formed in the space between the two men within. Despite the comfortable temperature, the pair found themselves shivering with anticipation. Both were staring thoughtfully out the curtain-shrouded window as their transportation bounced steadily along the uneven terrain of the forest floor. Soft plumes of fog puffed from each horse as they tossed their heads and trotted rhythmically toward the break in the trees that marked the edge of the expansive estate.
 
Though a gentle tug signified the end of their journey, they hardly noticed as their thoughts were consumed with questions and confusion. They nearly jumped as the carriage door was pulled open and the full force of the chill swept through the interior of the carriage. Smiling, their young driver stepped back and gestured toward an older butler.
 
The butler bowed deeply as he motioned toward the towering mansion. “If it would please you gentlemen, let me be the first to welcome you.”
 
The two men bowed respectfully as they stepped form the coach, nearly stumbling in awe as they stared up at the massive structure before them. Having once been a castle, the manor still retained most of its original glory and regal appearance. Each stone had been placed with great care and as beautifully meticulous as the brush strokes on the canvases of master painters. Everything was perfect right down to the polished surfaces of the circular cobblestone drive and the ivy vines that snaked up the far wall.
 
Motioning toward the entrance once more, the butler smiled at their expressions as he led them up the steps. All who gazed upon the splendor of the manor for the first time marveled in its beauty and he knew these two men were no exception. The thick mahogany door, nearly twenty feet tall, was pushed open to reveal a plush red carpet adorning the spacious entryway. A sprawling staircase occupied most of the space beyond the entrance and spiraled gracefully toward the dimly lit landing of the second floor.
 
“Right this way please,” the butler directed as he led the pair up the massive staircase. The two guests had to continually remember to close their gaping mouths as they admired the spectacular estate. Resting his gloved hand upon the highly polished surface of the railing, the butler paused in his ascension to glance over his shoulder. “The master is awaiting your arrival in the library on the second floor.”
 
Although darkness thoroughly cloaked the next level, it did nothing to conceal the beauty of the antiques and ancient tapestries that adorned the walls. The men walked carefully in fear of touching or jostling anything in the slightest as they silently made their way toward the warmth and light of a crackling fire.
 
The library was large with a vaulted ceiling nearly thirty feet high and ornate stained glass windows depicting scenes straight out of the Sengoku Jidai. Bookcases titivated with volumes in every language stretched to the top of the room and covered every inch of the stone walls. Paintings, pottery and small sculptures sat on columns and easels, begging to be admired. The siren call to do so was hard to ignore as the men turned reluctantly toward a large divan and sat comfortably within its plush cushions.
 
“Madame,” the butler said as he bowed deeply toward a figure barely outlined in the flickering flames, “if I may present you with the brothers Ookami: Ginta and Hakkuku.” Lifting his head, the old man smiled at the pair. “May I obtain anything for you gentlemen?”
 
Refusing politely, the brothers stared in stunned silence as their hostess retreated from the warmth of the hearth to settle comfortably in the chaise directly across from them. She moved with the grace of a goddess and possessed an ethereal beauty that could rival the very angels.
 
“Good day, Gentlemen,” she crooned, smiling her appreciation as the butler poured a cup of tea and handed her a small pattered quilt. With one final bow, he departed from his mistress. “Thank you for coming on such short notice.”
 
Ginta absently nodded, unable to tear his eyes from either the twitching appendages atop her elegant curls or the lethal claws wrapped gently around her porcelain cup.
 
“You're youkai?” he asked as he lowered his astonished gaze to her stunning amber eyes.
 
Hanyou.” She smiled widely, revealing a pristine white fang. “My name is Inutaisho Shiawase. My father is one of the greatest and most revered youkai of all time.”
 
“Inutaisho.” The other brother paled in recognition as soon as the venerated name left his trembling lips. “You are the daughter of Sesshoumaru-sama?”
 
Shiawase nodded as her smile widened. “Ah, yes,” she winked and paused to take another sip of her tea, “but that is a story for another day.”
 
Hakkuku relaxed slightly and allowed his gaze to wander in the momentary silence. He was stunned to notice a painting that he had overlooked in his initial perusal of the lavishly decorated library. It was a portrait of a beautiful and terrifying silver inu with piercing crimson eyes.
 
Their hostess's soft chuckle startled the brothers from their deep and silent thoughts. “I suppose you are wondering why someone such as myself would request an audience with the authors of fables and myths,” she said, her eyes dancing with mirth. “I must say that I am surprised you have yet to inquire as to why I have asked you here.”
 
“Forgive us, Shiawase-sama,” Ginta apologized softly. “Your invitation was most…intriguing.”
 
“First I would like to say that I find your collection of folk tales and stories quite brilliant.” She paused to take another sip of her brew, lifting an elegant brow as Ginta attempted to express his gratitude. “You did not allow me to finish,” she interrupted his inane rambling. “I regret to inform you that I found your version of the Shikon no Miko rather…disturbing.”
 
Momentarily forgetting his manners, Hakkaku snorted derisively, “Perhaps you would prefer tales of evil hanyou, swords of conquest and a magical well?”
 
Shiawase nearly laughed at the incensed glowers the brothers were unwittingly receiving from her staff. Leaning forward, she studied the younger brother intently. “And the Shikon no Tama?” she asked, perplexed by his sudden scowl.
 
“A sacred jewel that holds the power to grant wishes.” Shaking his head, Hakkaku shrugged and returned his hostess's amused gaze. “You will please forgive me, Madame, if I find the idea utterly ridiculous.”
 
“Oh, of course,” she chuckled lightly as she motioned toward her butler and watched him disappear from the room.
 
Ginta followed the older man's movements as well until he could no longer be seen in the encompassing gloom. Smiling nervously, he turned his attention back to the lady. “If you would, Shiawase-sama,” he said, “could you tell us why you have graciously offered your hospitality to two simple storytellers?”
 
Her answer was delayed by the return of her butler. With a deep bow, he placed a small box within her outstretched hands before stepping away to return to his post at the library door. Her nimble fingers released the clasps and she sighed as she opened the top and retrieved whatever was inside.
 
“Her name was Higurashi Kagome.” Unclenching her fist, Shiawase revealed the contents as they rested in the palm of her clawed hand. “And this,” she grinned at their incredulous expressions, “is the Shikon no Tama.”
 
Ginta swallowed thickly as the substance of dreams appeared before his very eyes in the form of a small, iridescent jewel. “Then it is true,” he breathed rapidly. “The story of the Shikon no Tama…”
 
“Ah, but the facts have been twisted so.” Shiawase placed the coveted item back against the soft lining covering the interior of the container. Replacing the lid, she drew the precious item into her lap and turned her full attention to the brothers. “Perhaps you would allow me to set the record straight?”
 
She chuckled at their eager nods as they scrambled for writing utensils and a comfortable position on the divan. Leaning back, her eyes hazed as she allowed her thoughts drift to the deepest recesses of her mind; back to a place where even her memories grew dim and old.
 
“What is that phrase you use to start your wonderful tales?” she asked in a far-away voice, pulling a thick blanket of fur to cover her long legs. “Ah yes. Once upon a time, there lived a young girl who loved her father very, very much...”
 
* * *
 
Chapter One
 
A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
 
- George Moore
 
* * *
 
Our story began on a beautiful autumn afternoon.
 
The air was crisp and clean; fresh from recent rainfall. The warmth of the summer had begun to submit to the gentle touch of winter's caress as the leaves changed colors and the habitual creatures prepared for another shift in the season. Even the sun followed suit as it surrendered its hold and allowed the moon dominion a little earlier with every passing day.
 
Higurashi was seated atop of his favorite steed as it trotted merrily toward his expansive estate in the south. His family had held possession over these lands for generations and under their wisdom and kindness, all who lived there had thrived and prospered. Tilting his head to the sky, he closed his eyes and relished in the fading warmth of the setting sun. His thoughts continually drifted to the small line of carriages at his back and he couldn't hide his excitement as he contemplated on how much his existence had changed. The two parts of his life were finally coming together as his new wife and family in the convoy behind him was about to be united with his most beloved and cherished daughter.
 
The saddlebags resting on either side of him were heavy with the treasures he had acquired for his daughter throughout his travels. He was never able to pass over anything that he thought might bring forth her infectious laughter and he often returned with more possessions then he intended. It was of no consequence. He would bring her the very stars if his little Kagome requested it of him. His anticipation grew as he pictured her welcoming smile and brightly shining eyes.
 
Kagome, my most beloved daughter, he thought with a grin, nudging his horse to move just a bit faster. I shall return to you soon.
 
A sharp squawk sounded from one of the carriages at his back as the pace increased and he chuckled in amusement before returning his eyes to the horizon. A sense of homecoming filled his weary heart as the countryside began to retain an air of familiarity. Oh, how he had missed his home! The wonderful aroma of good food and the warmth and light of the people he loved. There were no servants in the Higurashi Manor, only loyal friends and valuable employees. They had all become members of his family and he treated them as such.
 
Not too far away, a little girl of eight squirmed uncomfortably under the administrations of her long-time nanny. The old woman bit her lip in concentration as she desperately tried to force the child into a dress of her finest.
 
“Oh, Kaede-sama!” the girl squeaked as she absently twirled an ebony lock of hair around her finger. “It's just like Christmas! I get a mother and sisters all in one day!”
 
Nodding, Kaede smiled as she fingered the pretty bows and ribbons adorning the frilly linings of the gown. Her mood immediately darkened as she sent a silent prayer to the kamis on the child's behalf. It would be a miracle if Kagome kept the dress clean long enough to welcome her new family. With a small sigh, Kaede stood and motioned for another maid to take over.
 
“The master deserves happiness,” the younger maid commented as she ran a comb through Kagome's thick hair. “He is so kind and wonderful. And to have lost his wife so tragically and left to raise a daughter all on his own…” Her sentence trailed off as she clicked her tongue in sympathy.
 
“I heard the master was taken from the moment he gazed upon Lady Tsubaki,” another maid chimed as she smoothed the linens on the large bed. Satisfied with her work, she quickly retrieved the sleeping clothes and laid them out carefully as well. “She must be very beautiful for him to become so smitten.”
 
Fidgeting uncomfortably, Kagome quietly stared at her reflection. She traced the lace and silk, nervously fingering the finery she was so unaccustomed to wearing. “I hope she likes me,” she whispered almost to herself.
 
“Oh, Kagome,” Kaede chided softly, “she will love you.” Attempting to soothe the girl's unease, the older nanny planted a quick kiss to her brow and smoothed the non-existent wrinkles in her gown. “Just be that sweet little angel I know is lurking around in there somewhere.”
 
“That means no hiding swampy friends in other people's soup,” the first maid sang playfully.
 
“And no more placing tacks in the chairs to see who will be unfortunate enough to sit on one,” the second maid teased.
 
Huffing in exaggerated indignation, Kagome whirled to face the giggling women with her hands upon her hips. She was about defend herself against such unfounded and terrible accusations when a sharp thud silenced her voice.
 
“Child!” Kaede threw her hands up in exasperation as Kagome scrambled for the window. With her most threatening voice, the nanny scolded, “You're father arrives any minute now!”
 
The two maids made a half-hearted attempt to contain the girl before they chuckled and left her to the older nanny's care. Ignoring Kaede's very un-menacing growl, Kagome peered out the window at her childhood friend with a frown upon her pretty face.
 
“I told you, Hojo-kun,” she called as she crossed her arms in annoyance, “not today!”
 
For several seconds, all the young boy could do was stare up at his closest friend. When she dressed in her finest, she could rival any of the ladies in the royal court. “You look like a girl!” he teased as he dropped his handful of pebbles.
 
Narrowing her eyes, Kagome fixed him with her most deadly of glares. “That is what I am, you baka.”
 
“But today you look it!” Hojo collapsed in a fit of giggles which only succeeded in further irritating the young girl. Taking a deep breath, Kagome tried to control the sudden urge to teach her friend a very harsh lesson. On one hand, she had waited so long for her father's return and yet on the other, she could not let such arrogance go unpunished…
 
“Dress or no dress, girl or no girl, I can still beat you up!” she rebuked, ignoring the sudden groan that sounded from the old nanny.
 
“Ha!” Hojo shouted in response before turning and dashing toward the gardens. Kaede watched with mild horror as Kagome bounded down the stairs in hot pursuit. Her worst fears were realized as the sound of hoof-falls accompanied Jii-chan's clear voice as it rang through the manor walls:
 
“Look lively! The master returns!”
 
Muttering a prayer of strength and patience, Kaede abandoned the hope that Kagome would remain clean and lady-like. Instead, the nanny prepared her apology to the master as she made her way toward the front of the house to welcome him home.
 
Higurashi appeared at the gate almost instantly with a familiar grin upon his handsome face. A hushed murmur swept the small group as the first of three carriages pulled through the stone pillars of the entrance. The coaches were adorned with finery and beauty, such that had never been seen in these parts before. The crafting of the carriages and the horses themselves spoke of good breeding and nobility. The staff shifted in obvious discomfort as Higurashi and his convoy halted before them.
 
“Welcome home, Higurashi-sama,” Jii-chan greeted warmly as he took the reins of the horse and helped the master down. “I hear you have brought us a lady.”
 
“I have brought you an entire household, Jii-chan,” Higurashi chuckled as he searched the crowd. “But I appear to be missing a daughter.”
 
As his amused gaze met the nanny's, Kaede managed a look of intense guilt. However, before she could recite her well rehearsed apology, a small cough caught their attention and they curiously turned back to the carriages.
 
Stepping forward, Jii-chan opened the door as the curtain was tentatively pulled aside. A young girl revealed herself as she quickly took in her surroundings. Her dark eyes traveled over the manor and the staff as her shining curls bounced prettily in the fading light. Not bothering to hide the disdain in her expression, she sniffed lightly and ignored the offered hand. Lifting her chin, she stepped from the carriage and took her place to the left of the door.
 
Almost immediately, another girl of approximately the same age appeared. Her own dark hair and eyes matched that of her sister although her expression held less odium. She warmly accepted the hand with a smile and exited the carriage to stand to the right.
 
After a few tense seconds, a dainty foot peeked from beneath yards of fabric as a hand festooned with many glittering gems stretched out to take hold of the offered arm with poise and grace. The staff stiffened visibly, straightening their backs as a beautiful and elegant noblewoman emerged from the carriage and stood gracefully before the manor. A few women lowered their eyes in respect as the lady's exquisite face was revealed to them.
 
“Higurashi-san,” the noblewoman purred seductively. “What a charming and lovely home. It is simply-”
 
“Papa!”
 
The master's eyes brightened instantly as a small voice pierced the calm of the evening. The lady's annoyance at the interruption was lost upon her husband as his full attention was now held by the creature racing toward him with outstretched arms. He barely had enough time to register the dirty mop of rags before it launched itself into his arms and embraced him with surprising strength.
 
“Here is my daughter!” Higurashi laughed happily as he lifted the young girl into his arms and twirled her around. After several seconds, he set her down on the grass having finally taken notice of her ragged appearance. Clicking his tongue in mock shame, he studied her with a critical eye. “You look exactly as I left you,” he scolded playfully, accompanying his words with a kiss upon her dirty cheek and a radiant smile. “If you are so disheveled, I can only gather that Hojo-kun has finally gotten the better of you?”
 
“Oh no, Sir!” she giggled before pointing toward the direction from which she had appeared. “I slaughtered him!!”
 
Following the path of her finger, Higurashi released a mighty laugh as he finally spotted the utterly filthy and down-trodden young boy trudging sullenly toward the group.
 
“So you did!” he laughed again, placing another kiss upon her matted locks.
 
Kagome beamed in the warmth of his fatherly pride as it had been him who taught her to fight and wrestle. Her mother had died in childbirth leaving Kagome with only her father and no memory of maternal love. She was all her father had and she had always done her best to prove that she was all he'd ever need. For a long time, the two of them had been very happy.
 
As the years passed, her father grew concerned as the gossips spoke of his irresponsibility toward his daughter. Kagome would be a woman soon and would need a woman's influence to guide her toward maturity. His concern had turned to a fallacious feeling of guilt that he had failed her in some way. Determined to redeem himself, Higurashi had immediately began searching for the perfect woman to be his perfect wife - her perfect mother.
 
Although she felt that his fears were unfounded, Kagome would never complain. She loved her father more than anything else in this world and if it so pleased him to take a wife, she would welcome her with open arms and an open heart.
 
“I had hoped to present a little lady,” he chided jokingly with no hint of malice or anger in his tone. “I suppose you'll just have to do.” Turning her to face their new family, he hugged her from behind. “Kagome,” he introduced, “I present to you the most esteemed Lady Tsubaki of the House of Tenpi and her two lovely daughters, Kikyou and Sango.”
 
Kagome beamed with genuine happiness, sending her love and warmth toward the newest additions to their home. It was so easy to open her heart to accept them. They seemed so perfect and she knew her father would only choose the very best.
 
Tsubaki returned the smile, though the gesture did not reach her eyes. “Kagome,” she said in an icy tone, “we meet at last. Your father speaks of nothing else.”
 
Though the lady's expression unnerved Kagome slightly, the young girl curtsied respectfully and bowed her head. She didn't want to make a terrible first impression. Oh, if only she had ignored Hojo and stayed clean!!
 
“Ladies,” Tsubaki sniffed with an air of superiority as she gazed down at the child. “Say hello to your new…stepsister.”
 
“Kagome-nee-chan” the two said in unison, curtsying in reply and both perfect in manner and grace. Kagome couldn't help but be terribly impressed by how flawless they were. She curtsied back, blushing slightly as she nearly fell off balance. She was horribly out of practice with such formal manners.
 
“Ah, my friend,” Higurashi sighed as the cook appeared in the doorway of the manor. “Please tell me that supper is ready as I am absolutely famished!”
 
“It is, my lord,” the servant grinned in reply, “and in honor of your return and your new family, I've prepared your very favorite.”
 
The courtyard was warmed by Higurashi's bright laughter as he captured both the hand of his new bride and his daughter. “What a thoughtful gesture!” he said, tugging on the two women impatiently. “Shall we eat, my loves?”
 
His merry expression was returned with two wide smiles, one genuine and one false. He failed to notice the difference as the rich aroma of food reached his nose and caused his stomach to rumble painfully. With a quick squeeze and a smile to Kagome, he escorted his newly completed family into his home and closed the door against the evening's chill.
 
* * *
 
“I think my stomach may burst, Kaede-sama,” Kagome groaned as she climbed slowly into bed with the help of the old nanny. A wave of nausea flooded through her and she clamped her hands over her mouth in apprehension. She turned to face the doorway as a soothing voice washed over her.
 
“Perhaps if you hadn't stuffed yourself silly with duck and potatoes, you wouldn't be so ill.” Smiling, her father entered her room with a large yellow bag and sat softly upon her bed.
 
“Perhaps if you hadn't provoked me by claiming you could eat more than I could, I wouldn't have stuffed myself silly,” she scolded playfully, clutching her aching belly. “Therefore, this is all your fault.”
 
“Well said,” Higurashi laughed.
 
Smiling brightly, Kaede left the two to their evening rituals.
 
“It is a shame you are sick,” Higurashi sighed as he reached into his bag to reveal its hidden treasures. “And here I thought I'd have someone to share all this chocolate with.”
 
“Chocolate!?” Squealing with delight, Kagome held out her hands pleadingly and nearly drooled in anticipation as her father slowly unwrapped the savory tidbit.
 
His heart warmed as he watched his daughter happily chew the delicious morsel before turning those large, innocent eyes his direction in the hope of bargaining for another piece.
 
These are the moments that I cherish the most, he thought as he wiped a stray smudge of chocolate from her chin. I wouldn't give this time up for any riches in the world.
 
Kagome's mother had been the most beautiful and loving creature he had ever known. His love for her had been epic; beyond the scope of human imagination. It was as though he lived a fairytale life with every single day. When she became pregnant, he knew that all his dreams had come true and he was undoubtedly blessed by the kamis themselves.
 
Unfortunately, his dream would soon become his nightmare.
 
It had been an intense and heart wrenching wait while the screams of his wife reverberated off the manor walls. There had been complications with the delivery. Nothing could be done for the mother. Higurashi had been devastated by the death of his beloved. He wanted nothing more then to throw himself from the highest tower to join her in the afterlife. She was not long gone and he knew his soul would find hers quickly.
 
However, before he could sink into self-despair and hopelessness, he had been presented a squirming bundle of cloth with a mop of unruly dark hair. In that instant, he knew his life belonged to that little wrinkled babe. He knew that he would go to the very depths of hell to see all her dreams come true. To his delight, her nature and personality had turned out to be as sweet and gentle as that of his late wife and with each passing day, Kagome resembled her more and more.
 
It had never occurred to him that he was being selfish. He only wanted the best for Kagome and he worked hard to give her anything that her heart desired. As she grew, he taught her the values he believed all people should embrace: intelligence, loyalty, kindness, devotion, integrity and courage. He watched her become a beautiful girl both inside and out. It wasn't until the scornful remarks and comments about Kagome being too much like a `son' rather then a `daughter' that Higurashi decided to reconsider Kagome's upbringing. Perhaps she needed a mother. He had thought that he could be enough but what if he was wrong?
 
“What else have you brought, Papa?” Kagome interrupted his internal musings with a hopeful stare. Kami, how he loved that little angel.
 
Grinning slyly, he shrugged in mock innocence before replying, “Nothing, my daughter.”
 
“Papa...” Her tone was sharp with warning.
 
“You know, I am a very busy man and when I am away, I do work hard. Do you think I always have time to browse shops and carts looking for treasures?” he asked incredulously, hiding his laughter at her fierce scowl. “It is possible that I may have forgotten to go shopping this time.”
 
“Papa,” she whimpered, knowing exactly how to manipulate him.
 
“So, what makes you think I have anything else?” he teased.
 
Successfully diverting his attention, she dove for his enormous pack and began to dig before he even had a chance to move.
 
“Hey!” he cried in protest though his face was lit with a grin.
 
“A book!” she giggled happily, clutching the gift to her chest. Lowering her eyes to the thick cover, her brow wrinkled as she slowly made out the title. “Utopia?”
 
“It means `Paradise',” he informed her, stretching out to lie on his side. “I know it is a bit heavy for an eight year old but somehow, I think you'll mange just fine. I thought we could add it to our growing library.”
 
Kagome studied the leather bindings of the novel with relish, turning the pages and gently running her fingers over the tiny printed words. Though there had been many wonderful books and stories in the past, she had a feeling this one would be particularly memorable.
 
“Will you read some, Papa?” she asked softly as she crawled under her covers with the book held possessively in her arms.
 
Sighing softly, her father secured a stray lock of hair behind her ears and brushed his fingers along her tiny jaw. He wanted nothing more then to stay right here and take comfort in his child's soothing presence. Unfortunately, thing were different now and though she would never be second to anything or anyone, his obligations had changed slightly. “Kagome, my daughter. It has been a terribly long day.”
 
“And you're a husband now,” she smiled knowingly as she settled back against the comfortable pillows. There was no jealousy or malice in her tone. She understood that her father could no longer devote all his time and attention to her alone.
 
“Yes, I am a husband now.” Leaning forward, he tucked the blankets around her frame and placed a small kiss upon her soft hair. “But I am a father first and foremost. Never forget that, Kagome.” He stood back as she gave him a sleepy nod. “It has been just the two of us for a very long time,” he said quietly, “I suppose this will take some getting used to.”
 
Her eyes drooped further as she nodded once more.
 
“Do you like them?” he asked tentatively, searching her weary face for any signs of deception.
 
“Mm…very much.” She used her book to conceal a yawn. “Did you see the way they ate their supper? It was simply perfect - like a dance!”
 
“I am glad to hear that.” A soft tenor of sorrow entered his tone for the first time since his arrival home. “For in just three short days, I must depart for the border to speak with the King.”
 
“But…but-!” Kagome's eyes snapped open at his declaration. “Papa, you just got back!”
 
“I know,” he winced as that look crossed her face, “but it is only for…three weeks.”
 
“Two.”
 
“Three Kagome, I have to-”
 
One!”
 
“One!? Kagome, I might agree to two but-” he sighed and plopped back upon her bed with his hands raised readily. Knowing what was about to happen, Kagome raised her own hands in anticipation.
 
“Rock, paper, scissors,” they chanted in unison.
 
Kagome quickly scissored his impression of paper with her fingers as he chuckled in defeat and kissed her knuckles.
 
“Alright, just one,” he sighed with fake exasperation, rising from her bed once more. “You sleep tight now.”
 
Granting her one last, loving look, he blew out the candles and left her alone with her quiet thoughts and the gentle crackle of the dying fire. She sat in the darkness for several minutes while a whirlwind of emotions ran rampant through her tiny frame. She was happy to have her father home and yet she was nervous about the new members of their family. Now she was also saddened by the thought that her father was due to leave once more.
 
Slipping silently from her bed to kneel beside it, Kagome offered up a quick prayer. She prayed that her new mother could find it in her heart to love her. She prayed that her own mother was safe and happy in heaven. However, above all else, Kagome prayed for the day when her father would return home and would never have to leave again.
 
* * *
 
“I have never before seen so many gloomy faces at once,” Higurashi laughed as he pulled his riding gloves over his hands. “I shall be gone a week and no more.” Gracing each woman with a small smile, his heart ached as he noticed of all the gloomy faces, Kagome's was the gloomiest of all. He was about to speak when a sudden sharp pain tore through his chest and he almost grunted aloud in surprise.
 
“Then go, my love,” his new bride breathed as she took his hand, failing to notice his unusual discomfort. “The sooner you depart, the sooner we may celebrate your return.”
 
He disregarded the strange incident as he kissed his wife. Whatever he had felt, it was gone now. Smiling, he bent to deliver a small kiss upon the crown of each of his stepdaughters.
 
“Perhaps by the time I return,” he began softly as he knelt before his teary daughter, “you will all have become good friends.” Pulling Kagome into his arms, he poured his whole heart and all his love into the fierce embrace. “I am trusting you to keep things going around here, Kagome,” he chuckled as he released her. “The Lady Tsubaki is not used to getting her hands dirty.”
 
Nodding, Kagome launched herself into his arms once more, planting kisses along his cheek and sniffing back her tears. He closed his eyes and held her tightly before she loosened her hold, allowing him to stand. Brushing back Kagome's damp hair, he gave her another dazzling smile before mounting his favorite horse. Just as he situated himself in the saddle, another sharp ache tore through his chest and down his arm, causing him to drop the reins as his hand twitched painfully.
 
“Higurashi-sama,” Jii-chan smiled warmly as he handed him the reins once more. “Safe journey to you.”
 
“Thank you, Jii-chan,” Higurashi answered with a wince as his chest felt as though it were suddenly on fire. Sweeping his eyes over his household, he gave Kagome one last look of adoration before gently nudging the animal beneath him to move.
 
They all watched for several moments as the horse trotted gaily toward the gate at the end of their property. Every person ached in some way; each heart twisted with sorrow at the master's departure. However, no one was suffering more then the teary-eyed Kagome. Every time he left, she felt as though he took a piece of her heart with him.
 
“Come along ladies,” Tsubaki chirped in mock cheeriness as she clapped her hands. “Let us get back to your lessons.”
 
“Wait!” Kagome pleaded as her stepmother turned to stare back at her. “It's tradition! He always waves at the gate!”
 
Gracing her stepdaughter a look of absolute disgust and disdain, she sniffed snootily before raising her nose high in the air and disappearing back into the house. Kikyou giggled haughtily before quickly adopting the same look as her mother and following behind. Sango's face was filled with remorse and guilt as she quickly lowered her head and trailed after them.
 
Anger flared within her chest at Tsubaki's rude dismal of their traditions. Without another thought, Kagome raced to the end of the curve to watch her father's quickly retreating figure. Her anger melted as she anxiously waited for his cheerful wave.
 
A current of agony swept over him as he neared the gate and it took everything he had to stay upright upon his oblivious horse. At the next jolt, he lost his strength and fell to the side, wincing as he impacted heavily with the hard ground. He could just barely hear the frantic cries of the staff.
 
PAPA!
 
When she had seen him fall, Kagome had felt her whole world come crashing down upon her head. The sudden agony she suffered in her heart made it almost impossible to move. Tears flowed down her cheeks as she dashed wildly down the drive, crying out for him - begging him to answer her. Her sobs tore through the morning air as she raced toward her father and his confused mount. Having heard her torturous cries, Tsubaki appeared at the doorway. She took in the sight of her husband's prone form before leaping from the stoop and running to him as well.
 
Kagome hardly noticed as she tore the skin of her knees sliding to a stop at her father's side. His small grunts and whimpers of pain sent a spike straight through her heart as she bit her lip and tried to stifle her sobs. Trembling, she gently shook his shoulder and attempted to move his body to lie on his back.
 
Moments later, Lady Tsubaki sank to the ground as well and assisted in rolling him over. She was shocked at the expression of agony etched into his normally handsome features. Fighting back tears of her own, she leaned forward and tenderly brushed her fingers down his cheek.
 
“Higurashi-san,” she said as her voice trembled with fear.
 
His eyes focused on his wife for a brief moment before sliding toward his hysterical daughter. At the sight of her tear-streaked face and runny nose, he smiled gently as love and devotion replaced the pain in his gaze. The look of pure adoration did not go unnoticed by Tsubaki who stared on in utter shock as her husband lifted his hand and tenderly stroked Kagome's face.
 
“I love you…so much…my daughter,” he gasped breathlessly, wiping her tears with one gloved hand. “…love you…so much…”
 
Intense jealously flared within Tsubaki's black heart as she stared at the tender scene that excluded her completely. She felt like an outcast at the moment, forced to witness a love and devotion that she could never obtain. She was so fixated on the pair that she did not notice when the light vanished from her husband's eyes and his hand dropped limply to the ground.
 
No!Papa, no!!” Crying out in anguish, Kagome desperately lifted his hand and held it against her face. “Please come back to me!
 
Recoiling in shock, Tsubaki glanced down to see Higurashi's blank eyes and his loving gaze as it was forever aimed at the only person to own his entire heart. It was at that moment that the lady realized she never had possession of even a small piece. He had given his love and his farewell to the one person that had meant the entire world to him; the one who he had loved more than anything else in this life. The one who he had loved more than her.
 
It had been his daughter, not his wife; Kagome, not Tsubaki.
 
“Higurashi-san, no!” The lady screamed as the enormity of her situation crashed down upon her shoulders. “You cannot leave me here! You cannot!!”
 
Frightened and sick, Tsubaki reached out blinding and grasped the first thing her fingers contacted in an effort to find comfort and peace. Jii-chan pulled the distraught woman to her feet and held her close as she sobbed and wailed into his shoulder. Hiding her own grief for the sake of the hysterical child, Kaede knelt beside the sobbing girl and desperately tried to detach her from her father's corpse.
 
“Kagome, come here child,” Kaede pleaded mournfully.
 
No!” The girl screamed her pain as she slapped the offending hands away from her. “Leave me! Leave me be!”
 
Her tiny body trembled, overwhelmed with sorrow and grief. Staring down at her father's blank eyes, her heart shattered as she realized that he was gone. Her father who had meant the entire world to her had left her behind. Unable to cope with the reality of her situation, she clung to his body and pleaded with the kamis to take her as well.
 
…It would be ten years before another man entered her life. A man who was very much like a boy, in many, many ways…
 
* * *
 
AN: Thank you to catbaker, wbaker and freelke who all played a role in bringing this fairytale to life. Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!!
 
Always ~ clnv