InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Ever After ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Thank you for your reviews! You are too kind. I'm having a lot of fun with this one and I can't wait to hear from you again. And without further ado, here is…
 
* * *
 
Chapter Two
 
You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
 
- Abraham Lincoln
 
* * *
 
The soft outline of a young man was illuminated against the dull stones of the tower as he quickly scrambled down a rope of tied bed-linens. Though grunting with the effort, and rappelling as quickly as he could, he was mindful of his sharp claws against the delicate sheets that had become a vital key to his escape. With a muffled chuckle of victory, the fugitive leapt the last few feet to the ground, wrapped his cloak tighter around his frame, and disappeared into the darkness.
 
Moments later, a bellowing roar resounded through the night and swept over the lands like an ominous wind. Silence followed in its wake as insects stilled, and innocent nocturnal creatures shivered with fright from their various hiding places.
 
INUYASHA!
 
Back within the castle, servants molded themselves to the cold stone walls in an attempt to imitate furniture and tapestries. Any caught in the path of the furious and belligerent taiyoukai were reduced to a groveling mess as he stormed his way through halls. Though still in his human-like form, his eyes glowed crimson, and his elongated fangs and claws dripped green with corrosive poison. So rarely did their stoic Majesty lose face, but, in such instances, it was wise to stay clear - especially if one desired to continue living.
 
“My husband,” a tiny ningen woman stammered as she struggled to catch up with his impossibly long strides, “is this really necessary?”
 
“Yes, it is necessary!” he snarled viciously, spraying spittle and venom with every breath. “I signed a marriage treaty with the mainland king and by kami, that hanyou bastard will honor it!”
 
“My lord,” the woman said softly, attempting to keep the weariness from invading her tone as the same old argument presented itself once more, “Inuyasha-sama does not love her.”
 
“That is irrelevant,” he barked angrily. “This is not about love.”
 
Hanging her head, she followed her husband. “Well perhaps it should be,” she said in a hushed whisper.
 
“Do not attempt to assuage my anger, Rin,” the king growled as he recognized his wife's tone. “Inuyasha was appointed half of this crown and it has fallen upon him to provide the male heir so that we may both pass it on to the next generation.” The taiyoukai quickened his pace as his fury began to burn brightly once more. “If he is to rule alongside me, then he must act accordingly and accept his responsibility!!”
 
“Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama,” Rin pleaded in an effort to placate his beast. “But my lord, you are an imposing and fearsome youkai king. It is any wonder that Inuyasha-sama would have hesitations to stand at your side and rule? You have set the expectations so impossibly high…”
 
“Despite what I want, he is a prince of the crown and we must rule together to keep this country from falling apart!” Growling in rage, he neither thought of the consequences of his next statement, nor noticed Rin's pained expression. “Besides, it does not matter that he is merely hanyou filth! Even with his dirty blood, he is still the son of my most esteemed father!”
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama!” Rin's voice shook as she struggled to contain her tears of anger and anguish. “Your own daughter is a hanyou as well, and I would ask you not regard their kind with such contempt while in my presence!”
 
Normally, any person or being who dared to speak to him with such impertinence would have found themselves divested of their head. However, his raging temper began to calm as he realized the enormous error of his words and caught the slight shift of saline in his mate's scent.
 
For centuries he had harbored ill feelings toward hanyou and ningen alike. It was only by an arranged marriage set up by his father, the king, that he had ended up with a ningen hime as a wife. He was a youkai of honor and loyalty. Therefore, he had accepted his father's decision, but had been horrified and disgusted with the arrangement. Being obstinate, Sesshoumaru had refused to speak or even look at his new bride, and, though he took her as a wife, he would have nothing to do with making her his mate.
 
To this day, he was still baffled by the kindness and respect that Rin had shown him at every turn. When ignoring her existence failed to make her disappear, he turned to cruelty to achieve his goals. He taunted her humanity, flaunted his `mistresses' before her, and berated her at every opportunity. However, Rin never failed to grace him with a smile, kind words, and thoughtful gestures. Her unfailing compassion nearly drove him to the brink of insanity.
 
It wasn't until an assassin had breeched the barriers of their kingdom and made an attempt on his life, that he had finally changed his mind about his little ningen wife.
 
There had been several battles occurring during that time and no soldier escaped unscathed. After a rather heated boundary dispute, Sesshoumaru had found himself terribly injured and sick with infection. His body would heal quickly, but it required an immense amount of rest and energy. During this time of regeneration, youkai were vulnerable as their ability to hear or sense danger was greatly reduced. It was then that the coward had attempted to slay the son of the great Inutaisho. By the time that Sesshoumaru would have realized the threat posed against him, it would have been far too late.
 
Unbeknownst to him, since the moment the inu-prince had fallen ill, Rin had set up a faithful vigil just outside his door. Armed with nothing more than her unwavering devotion and a pewter candlestick, she had ambushed the would-be assassin before he could enter Sesshoumaru's chambers. The commotion alerted the castle guards, who had arrived within minutes with the king to dispatch the spineless murderer. Though Rin's bravery had saved the taiyoukai's life, it had cost her a dagger to the ribs.
 
No person other than family had ever shown him such absolute loyalty. Even as she lay bleeding out on his expensive rug, Rin had smiled up at him in complete adoration. As he watched her life slowly seep into the fabric, something unfamiliar had tugged painfully upon his icy heart. He couldn't explain the emotions that overcame him in that moment. It had been as if he was looking at her in a completely different light.
 
Rin's recovery had been precarious at best, and for weeks the taiyoukai was sick with concern. When she had finally been well enough to leave her bed, he begrudgingly admitted that perhaps he could feel something toward one so faithful and loyal. It was only a short amount of time before she moved into his chambers, and that `something' quickly became `love' and a `mating'. He never regretted his decision, even after fathering a hanyou child.
 
Though he was no longer the impudent pup of his youth, in rare moments of anger the old stains of prejudice and bigotry returned. He hated the feeling of remorse that clenched his heart as he sensed the sorrow that emanated from his mate. Seizing control, his eyes faded to the familiar gold hue, and his claws and fangs receded.
 
“Rin,” he sighed, slowing his steps so she could catch up. “It was not my intention to inflict undue pain with my words.” He held his breath in anticipation, releasing it when he felt her tiny hand slip into his claws. “However, it is because of Shiawase that I must see this through.”
 
Sighing once more, he recalled the simultaneously beautiful and horrible night of his daughter's birth. His life had changed the moment that tiny babe came screaming into the world floating upon a sea of blood. It had been the first time in his long life that Sesshoumaru felt completely helpless. While fretting over Rin's health, he had been informed that she would never conceive again. He would only have his daughter; there would be no heirs to the throne through him.
 
Soon after, his father, the great king of all youkai, was killed in battle. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha had been left with the responsibilities of the crown and a country in turmoil. It had been difficult at first to break the news that the youkai population would never see an heir from the majestic Sesshoumaru. The announcement of the king's death weighed heavily upon his people, human and youkai alike, as the late taiyoukai had fought for justice and tolerance among the two races. Sesshoumaru had hoped a hanyou heir would secure their minds and faith in the royal family. Although he loved Shiawase with all his heart, he knew a female would never be recognized as a leader, no matter what her pedigree.
 
Unfortunately, the very last hope of his people rested with his hanyou brother. The only setback was that the laws of the court decreed that a prince must be mated and married before he was able to assume the crown. It was this edict that Inuyasha fought with more devotion then he had ever shown in battle.
 
“I beg your forgiveness, Sesshoumaru-sama,” Rin whimpered with a quiet sob, drawing his attention back to his mate. “My only desire in this life was to grant you a son-”
 
“Silence,” the taiyoukai interrupted with a frown. “You know that no one is at fault.”
 
Allowing his stoic mask to slip in the tiniest way, he granted his wife a small smile that he knew would brighten her mood. It brought him immense satisfaction that he could affect her with something as diminutive as an expression. Her answering grin warmed his weary heart. Knowing that Rin blamed herself for being unable to produce an male heir, and that she even blamed herself for Inuyasha's current quandary, was enough to make his eyes bleed crimson once more.
 
“Honestly, my lord,” Rin whispered, squeezing his hand, “can't this wait until the morning?”
 
“No.” He removed her hand from his claws. “If I cannot sleep, then he will be allowed no rest as well.”
 
With a loud bang, Sesshoumaru threw open the door to Inuyasha's chambers and marched inside. Wasting no time, he quickly tossed the mattress into the air, slicing his claws through the pillows and silk sheets. “Inuyasha!” he roared amidst a flurry of feathers and down. “We will discuss…” His eyes narrowed dangerously as he caught sight of the item dangling from the window.
 
Rin entered with a lit candle, shining the light upon the evidence of Inuyasha's escape. “Oh no,” she whispered knowingly, setting down the candle to clasp her hands over her ears.
 
FIND HIM!” Sesshoumaru bellowed with fury, his voice shaking the very foundation of the castle. FIND THAT INSOLENT HANYOU BASTARD AND BRING HIM BACK HERE!
 
The order was not lost upon the insolent hanyou bastard in question as he grinned merrily and urged his horse to race faster across the cobblestone bridge. Crossing the river, he never looked back as he fled the crushing responsibility of the crown, the expectations of his brother and their kingdom, and the emptiness of being forced to marry a woman that he did not love.
 
* * *
 
Not far from the commotion in the castle, a small figure slept soundly, curled alongside the dying embers of her fire. With a small sigh of contentment, the girl shifted, and a well-worn and treasured book slipped from her protective embrace. The soft beginning of the sun's rays peeked almost reverently through the broken boards covering her windows and playfully danced across the room. As the light tentatively touched the sleeping woman, it gently caressed her dirty face and blazed the highlights in her unkempt hair. She finally stirred as the crow of the rooster pealed through the morning's silence, announcing to all who were trained to hear it that the new day was breaking, and it was time to rise.
 
Reluctant to pull from her pleasant dreams of chocolate and fatherly kisses, she ascended slowly, her fingers unconsciously tightening upon the book in her lap. Opening her eyes, she gently smoothed the bent pages as tears began to burn beneath her lids. Once, so long ago, his hands had touched these words, these pages… Kagome shook her head to quell any memories threatening to rise and delay her life in the realm of reality.
 
Despite the few rouge rays of sunshine, the world was still very much shrouded in grey as she stepped from her provisional sleeping quarters. Grabbing a nearby bucket, she quickly made her way toward an ancient well, carefully maneuvering around the many farm animals that littered the yard in an attempt to remain silent. She hung the bucket on a peg and drew a supply of cold and fresh water from within, shivering as a chill from the well penetrates her thin servant's garb. After taking a small sip, she proceeded to scrub her face and hands, dutifully trying to remove all impurities that her stepmother seemed to find without much effort.
 
I wish… She sighed and stared at her plain reflection in the water as she did every morning, making the same ridiculous plea. I wish that perhaps today, I will find my prince. Snorting softly, she dumped her bucket into the pig's trough and began her daily chores.
 
The sun was just beginning to warm the air when she finally finished her morning routine. Pleased that she had completed her duties earlier then normal, Kagome only hesitated for a moment before grabbing her bow and arrows and heading for the orchard.
 
Unmerciful as ever, the apples did not stand a chance as each one was speared and pinned to various trees. Eyeing the fruit still attached to the high branches, Kagome's keen aim quickly relieved the limbs from their burdens as the orbs fell like rain down to the damp grass. Kagome smiled as she pulled the pierced apples from her arrows, placing them in a neat pile to take back to the house.
 
Her archery session was interrupted by the thundering of hooves as several of the King's soldiers raced past her in pursuit of an unknown assailant. Only one man gave her a second glance, smiling and waving as he rushed by, leaving her to stare after them in dumbfounded silence. Unable to waste anymore precious time, Kagome quickly gathered the apples and made her way toward the manor as fast as her now-cumbersome gown would allow. In her haste to hurry back to the kitchen, she almost missed the urgent whinny of a distressed horse, and the curses of the cloaked man attempting to steal it.
 
“Oh no you don't!” she snarled, recognizing her father's most prized steed beneath an unknown thief. Racing toward the fleeing pair, she quickly sensed the man's youki and did not hesitate to pull an arrow from the quiver. Taking careful aim, she fired, and a well-placed projectile struck the cloaked figure in the arm, throwing him soundly from the mount.
 
“Damn it!” he growled as he landed heavily upon the dewy grass with an arrow poking rigidly through his sleeve. “What in all the seven hells, you wench!?”
 
“Thief!” Kagome screamed, abandoning her arrows in favor for the pile of apples at her feet. Red-faced, she relentlessly pelted the unsuspecting stranger with the fleshy orbs. “This will teach you to steal my father's horse!”
 
“No wait!” Inuyasha cried, struggling to see beyond the ample folds of his cloak as he was mercilessly attacked with apples. “My own threw a shoe and I have no choice!”
 
“And our choice is to what?” she screeched, striking him with yet another well-placed apple. “To merely let you?”
 
“No! I - damn it!” he roared as an apple found his tender ear through the hood. “I'm only borrowing it! I had planned on returning it later!”
 
“And I'm to take the word of a thief?” Kagome snarled again. She put everything she had into her next throw which landed solidly upon the man's face and knocked him off his feet. Her fury abated suddenly as he leapt from the ground with a fierce snarl, ripping the cloak and the arrow from his body. Whatever anger she had possessed was quickly replaced with fear and humility as the royal crest was revealed to her wide eyes.
 
“Forgive me, Your Majesty, I did not see you!” Kagome cried, sinking to the ground and planting her nose in the dirt. She could only pray her dirty hair would shield her burning face from view.
 
“Couldn't tell that from your aim, you wench,” he answered bitterly, tossing her arrow aside and tenderly rubbing the many lumps upon his head.
 
“And for that I know I must die!” Squeezing her eyes tightly closed, she waited for the terrible blow that would send her to her father in the afterlife. She had seen his deadly, claw-tipped fingers, and she knew it would only take one swipe to destroy her.
 
Inuyasha hesitated slightly as the scent of fear and sorrow clung heavily to her body, quickly chasing away the aroma of her righteous anger. Pity, he had relished in the fragrance of her fiery spark. It annoyed him to no great end when people constantly prostrated themselves at his feet. Her attack upon him - though unprovoked and uncalled for - had been an interesting diversion from the norm.
 
Still, he had no desire to spill her blood for defending that which was rightfully hers.
 
“Well then, just fucking keep silent about this and I won't have you beheaded,” he growled as menacingly as he could before donning his cloak and mounting the horse once more.
 
Slightly taken aback by his foul mouth, Kagome swallowed hard and carefully chose her next words. “Please, Highness,” she pushed her face even lower, “we have other horses! Let me fetch one of the younger and faster ones.”
 
“A horse is a horse! What is so special about this damn beast?” Inuyasha scoffed, staring down at the young woman.
 
“It belonged to my father.” The bite in her tone momentarily startled him, and he shook his head to dispel his lapse in composure. “Any other horse,” she pleaded, “any that you wish.”
 
“My only wish is to be free.” A shower of coins fell around her head as she felt his presence hovering above her. “For your silence,” he growled before riding away.
 
Kagome braved a look in time to see the back of her father's horse disappear into the thick trees surrounding their orchard. And the backside of the prince is not too bad as well. Her eyes widened in shock, and she shook her head in humiliation at the unbidden thought. Smiling as the sun glinted off the many shiny blessings littering the ground around her, she lifted her eyes toward the sky and thought that it truly was a beautiful day.
 
* * *
 
“Kikyou, dear,” Tsubaki called gently, placing the folded napkin in her lap, “is there something wrong with your breakfast?”
 
Pushing her plate aside, Kikyou closed her eyes before shouting with a fury unmatched by any other. “I said I wanted four eggs, not four rocks!” Seething in anger, her eyes flashed as she stared at the staff with murder in her gaze. “And where the hell is our bread!?”
 
“It is just coming out of the oven, my lady,” Kaede sighed, gathering the `rocks', as Kikyou had so generously labeled them, and racing for the kitchen.
 
“Kikyou, my darling,” Tsubaki soothed, sipping her tea gently. “What is it I've told you about your tone?”
 
“A lady of breeding must never raise her voice any louder then the gentle hum of a whispering wind,” Sango quoted softly without hesitation, smiling at her sister and mother.
 
“Sango, dear,” the Lady Tsubaki snapped bitterly, “do not speak unless you can improve the silence. And what have I always said about speaking out of turn?”
 
“It's rude,” Kikyou smirked at her younger sister, relishing in Sango's embarrassed hue. “Besides, I wasn't shrill, I was resonant. Any noblewoman would know the difference.”
 
“Well I doubt your style of resonance would be permitted in the royal court,” Tsubaki sighed heavily, tapping at the shell of her egg.
 
“Well it doesn't matter does it, because I'm never getting to the royal court, am I mother?” Huffing indignantly, Kikyou crossed her arms and glared to the side. “No one is except a mainland whore they have the nerve to call a princess.”
 
Sango nearly gasped in shock at the vicious words that escaped the lips of her sister. She managed to keep control as her mother soundly placed her silverware atop the table. “Kikyou,” she scolded lightly. “Nothing is final until you are dead and even then, I'm sure the kamis negotiate.” Picking up her utensils once more, Tsubaki attacked the poor egg with renewed vigor, pausing as her eyes searched the table top for an item that was missing.
 
Kagome!
 
“Coming!” Kagome shouted as she heard her name echo off the stone walls of the manor. Carefully maneuvering the small kitchen, she placed the bruised apples in a basket and beamed at the other servants.
 
“She's certainly in one of her moods today,” Kaede sighed, pulling the bread from the oven. “Did the sun even rise this morning?”
 
“It did!” Kagome giggled, dropping the handful of coins upon the table. She beamed as the other servant's eyes widened in shock. “And it's going to be a beautiful day!”
 
“Goodness child!” Kaede's jaw dropped at the pile of money glittering in the morning sun. “Where did you get this!?”
 
“From an angel of mercy,” Kagome sighed wistfully, remembering his adorable ears and those eyes… Shaking her head, her smile widened at Kaede's hopeful gaze. “And I know just what to do with them.”
 
Tears filled the old nanny's eyes as the hope spilled through from her very soul. “Jii-chan?” she whispered, afraid that anything louder would disrupt the dream.
 
Kagome nodded. “If Lady Tsubaki can sell your husband to pay her taxes, then these will certainly bring him home.” Sweeping the bread from the table, Kagome quickly placed it upon a tray with a pitcher of water. “The courts will have to let him go. I can pay his debt.”
 
“But my child -” Kaede's voice broke with a sob. “Jii-chan has been sold. He is bound for the Americas.”
 
“This is my family,” Kagome stated firmly, her eyes flashing with determination. “I will not see it fall apart.”
 
Kagome, we are waiting!
 
“Oh, my child, take care!” The old nanny bristled at the shrill call and placed the coins into Kagome's pocket. “If she knows these are here, they are as good as hers.”
 
Nodding, Kagome took the tray and scurried up the stairs to where her `family' awaited their breakfast. “Good morning, my lady,” she murmured demurely, setting the bread and pitcher upon the table. “Kikyou-san, Sango-san.”
 
“Hello,” Sango smiled and quickly lowered her head at Tsubaki's accusing stare.
 
“I trust you slept well?” Kagome inquired, pouring a fresh supply of water into their cups and smiling slightly at Sango's replying nod.
 
“What kept you?” Tsubaki's tone was hard and cold.
 
Thinking quickly, Kagome gave her stepmother a shy smile. “I fell off the ladder in the orchard. It took me quite some time to recover from the pain.”
 
“Are you alright?” Sango asked, genuinely concerned.
 
Kagome smiled again at her stepsister, but, before anything more could be said, a snort of amusement was heard from the other end of the table.
 
“Someone's been reading in the fireplace again,” Kikyou scorned viciously, curling her lips in a sneer. “Look at you, ash and soot everywhere.”
 
“People read when they cannot think for themselves,” Tsubaki sniffed snootily, nibbling on a slice of bread.
 
“Why don't you sleep in the manure house if you insist on smelling like shit,” Kikyou smirked.
 
“Kikyou!” Sango protested incredulously as their mother simply laughed and waved the comment aside.
 
“That was harsh, my daughter,” Tsubaki snorted in glee, “but you must mind your tongue. Do not speak like a commoner.”
 
Kagome fought back the tears that threatened to spill down her dirty cheeks. Though this was a daily routine of ridicule and shame, it never ceased to injure her heart. Perhaps it was because she still held hope that her family would come to love her. Lowering her head, she moved from the table to take her customary place by the door.
 
“Come here,” Tsubaki sighed, reluctantly taking one of Kagome's filthy hands. “Your appearance does reflect a certain sense of…crudeness. What can I do to make you try?”
 
Kagome glanced at her stepsisters before turning her dark eyes upon the lady. “I do try, my lady,” she stated softly. “I do wish to please you. I something sit and think of ways that I can make you happy with -”
 
“Enough.” Tsubaki brushed the girl aside with a disgusted look. “Leave the table.”
 
Kagome nodded and made her way around the large chair. Pausing, she weighed the consequences of her next words carefully. “Perhaps if Jii-chan were to return, I would not offend you so.”
 
“It is your manner that offends,” Tsubaki snapped angrily. “Throughout these times I have clothed you, fed you and kept you safe and all I ask in return is that you help me without complaint! Is that too much to ask, Kagome?”
 
“No, my lady.” Kagome lowered her head in shame.
 
“Then we shall have no more talk of servants returning to the manor, correct?”
 
“Yes, my lady.” Kagome's shoulders sagged in defeat. “May I be excused?”
 
“Please do,” Tsubaki spat in disgust, turning back to the table. After Kagome's departure, she looked up at her daughters with barely repressed fury. “After all I've done - all I've sacrificed, it's never enough!”
 
Sango scowled slightly, turning her face away to avoid her sister's sympathetic smile toward their mother. Silently, she wished she was stronger. Sango never did agree with the way her family treated their stepfather's daughter. It would do Kagome no good, however, if Sango joined the ranks of the servants in the household as well. For now, the best she could do was sit quietly and show her stepsister that she wasn't hated by them all.
 
* * *
 
What a strange girl, Inuyasha thought as he urged the well-earned horse through the thick overgrowth of the forest floor and felt the slight pull of a few remaining bruises. In an attempt to regain his senses, the prince snorted softly and shook his head. Why am I thinking about her? She's merely a servant!
 
Turning his attention back to the road, he focused solely on fleeing from the crushing binds of his duty to the crown. He was on his way. There was nothing to stop him now. After only a few more moments of travel, however, his ears twitched atop his head as he caught the pleadings of an old man.
 
“There is nothing there! I beg of you, leave us be!”
 
Unconsciously turning his mount, Inuyasha found himself peering through a break in the trees at a small convoy being ransacked by a pack of rouge ookami youkai. An elderly man watched helplessly as his belongings were thrown to the shrubs, and the thieves searched for valuables among his meager possessions.
 
“No! Please!” the man begged as a large container was filched from a secret compartment in the first carriage. “Anything but that!”
 
“Get off, old man!” the large ookami youkai growled as he cradled the precious container. Sensing something, he turned and whistled for his companions, “Royal guard! Get the hell out of here!”
 
Momentarily confused, Inuyasha merely stared for several seconds before his sensitive nose and ears picked up the sounds of soldiers on horseback.
 
Inuyasha-sama!” His name was called joyously, and he growled as he recognized the voice. That smug tone could only mean Miroku, the captain of the royal guard.
 
Viciously kicking the horse's ribs, the prince burst forward into the clearing with every intention of running away. Unfortunately, before he could escape, a slight pressure on his arm stilled his movements.
 
“Please,” the old man begged, pointing toward the ookami who was fleeing on horseback. “That man! Please stop that man!”
 
Inuyasha's eyes rapidly jumped between the thieving wolf, the pleading old man, and the smiling face of that damned Miroku as he desperately tried to make up his mind. “The royal guard will assist you,” he finally stammered, turning his horse to face the path once more. “I can't! I'm sorry.”
 
Please!” The man's eyes filled with tears. “He holds…my life!”
 
Upon hearing those words, Inuyasha's heart sank rapidly to the pit of his stomach, and he almost felt physically ill. With one last, longing, look at his freedom, he quickly dropped his face into a menacing scowl, before growling at the old man, and taking off after the wolf.
 
Angry with himself for his inability to just ignore injustices, he furiously kicked his mount to move faster. Regrettably, he wasn't paying enough attention to his surroundings and failed to duck in time to avoid a fist to his already tender face.
 
“Fucking ookami bastard!” Inuyasha snarled painfully as he turned his horse to take off after the youkai.
 
His cloak ruffled around him, and the hood blew off his head, revealing his silver hair and twitching ears. Peeling his lips over his fangs in a menacing scowl, the prince bunched his muscles as he neared the other horse and leapt onto the wolf's back. The force of the attack threw the two from the saddle, and they both grunted as they tumbled and slid through the thick carpet of leaves on the ground.
 
Recovering a fraction of a second faster than the hanyou, the ookami leapt to his feet and kicked the prince in the side before fleeing on foot. Enraged, Inuyasha tore after the youkai, ready to rip him to pieces with his bare claws. Just before the prince could tackle him, the ookami tripped, and Inuyasha found himself falling with the clumsy bastard as the two dropped off a cliff and plunged helplessly toward the raging currents of the river.
 
The water was icy, and the heavy cloak around his shoulders nearly dragged him down with its sodden weight. Kicking his strong legs, Inuyasha propelled himself to the surface just in time to see the ookami crawl up the opposite bank and disappear into the forest. Cursing loudly, the prince grabbed the container which had floated to the surface as well and kicked his way toward the bank where Miroku was waiting to lend him a hand.
 
* * *
 
“What do you think of this one mother?” Kikyou giggled as an enormous necklace with several glittering gems was draped around her delicate throat.
 
Tsubaki glanced at her daughter before shaking her head with disgust. “No,” she said smoothly as she turned toward the dumb-struck merchant with a glare. “It is too small! It needs to draw attention to her bust!”
 
The merchant blushed deeply as his eyes were drawn to the young girl's bulging chest, barely held back by her thin garment. “Anything larger, my lady and I fear she'll collapse from the weight.” Blushing deeper, the poor man forced his eyes to look elsewhere.
 
“Well, perhaps you are right,” Tsubaki sneered as she dropped the gaudy bracelet she had been holding. “I'm afraid that we'll just have to look elsewhere.”
 
“Wait,” the merchant conceded as he knelt beside his carriage. “I think I have just the thing.”
 
As the merchant hastily searched his cart, Sango boldly approached her mother. “Why does Kikyou's bust need to be accentuated?” she asked suspiciously, looking Tsubaki straight in the eye.
 
A bit surprised at her younger daughter's audacity, Tsubaki frowned and folded her arms. “So that the prince will take notice of it, Sango,” she answered with a crisp tone. “Is there anything else or can I go back to shopping?”
 
“But you said that we were both supposed to attract the prince.” Fearful but determined to hold her ground, Sango lifted her head a bit higher. “So what am I going to get to accentuate my bust?” she asked bitterly.
 
Sneering slightly, her mother tossed her a goose feather before turning back toward Kikyou. The tearful expression on Sango's face was lost upon Tsubaki as she busied herself with the extravagant shopping spree. All three had yet to notice the young man staring down at them from an adjacent building.
 
“Have you completely lost your mind?” the young man questioned as he watched Tsubaki and her daughters. “Seriously, do you have any idea what it is you plan to do?”
 
He turned from the window seat to stare at Kagome, who was hastily shedding the layers of her servants' garb with a blush. “Of course I know I what I'm doing, Hojo-kun.”
 
“Do you have any idea what the punishment is for dressing above your stature?” Hojo pressed as he ignored the wave of embarrassment rising in his chest and held up his left hand to spread his fingers. “Five lashes. Count them! Five!”
 
“I would hope you would do the same for me!” Blushing deeply now, Kagome stepped from the pool of fabric at her feet and stood clothed only in her undergarments. Grabbing the dainty silk slippers, she dove behind the shoji screen with a squeak.
 
Hojo scoffed at the display and turned toward the window once more. “Me?” he mocked. “You think I would dress up in those ridiculous costumes and prance around like a nobleman?” Huffing with irritation, the young man stared down at Kagome's stepfamily. “I've never even been to court and neither have you!”
 
“Then I won't be recognized.” Her voice floated over the top of the screen. “Now hand me that gown so I can be on my way!”
 
Sighing, Hojo surrendered and gathered the silky dress from its perch. “They'll never buy it you know,” he said almost to himself as he tossed the garment over the shoji screen. “You are too sweet and kind. You are nothing like them.”
 
Kagome snorted slightly as she shed her undergarments and hung them over the screen. Standing completely naked in the soft glow of the morning light, she studied herself scrupulously. It had taken quite sometime to scrub the dirt and filth from her body and hair, but, for the first time since her father's death, she felt clean and whole once more. Swallowing the wave of trepidation that rose in her throat, Kagome stepped into the expensive gown.
 
“I am Jii-chan's only hope,” she said quietly, blinking back the tears as she stared down at the fine dress. “I can't stand back and see Kaede-sama devastated because her husband has been sold.”
 
Hojo sighed once more as a smile crept over his lips. Poor Kagome, ever the selfless and giving one, and so willing to risk everything to save the ones she loved. “What did you tell the Lady Tsubaki?” he asked as he settled in a chair beside the screen.
 
“I am picking wildflowers for her bedroom,” was the hushed reply. “Can you still see her, Hojo-kun?”
 
The young man snorted in amusement as he picked up a leather throng and began to polish his latest katana creation. “They are purchasing jewelry to `accentuate' Kikyou's bust for the eyes of the prince.”
 
“I can't believe it,” Kagome giggled as she pulled on the silky fabric. “Tsubaki ignores the manor, blames the servants for her debt, and still prances around like she has money to burn.” Smoothing the wrinkles from her tiny waist, Kagome took a deep breath as her fear began to creep up her spine. “I'm coming out,” she croaked, lowering her eyes. “I swear, Hojo-kun, if you dare laugh…”
 
Steeling her nerves, Kagome stepped from the protection of the shoji screen and faced her childhood friend.
 
Hojo's heart fluttered as he stared at the vision before him. All the dirt and grime had successfully hidden the flower that he could see now. Long, inky hair rippled in waves around her petite frame, and her skin was as flawless as any noblewoman's he had ever seen. The dress clung beautifully to curves that were usually concealed behind unflattering uniforms. More than anything, however, was that Kagome seemed to glow with light and purity. The nervous chewing of her bottom lip and tightly clenched fists were the only betraying factors to her convincing disguise.
 
Misunderstanding Hojo's continued silence, Kagome lowered her head even further and tried to control the nausea churning in her gut. “The shoes are too big,” she whispered shakily.
 
“Trust me, Kagome. No one will be looking at your feet.”
 
Hearing the approval in his tone, she gave a small smile but did not look up in her embarrassment. Hojo sighed and set down his sword. With a soft smile, he stood and took one of Kagome's delicate hands in his own. “If you are going to be a noblewoman,” he chided softly, “you must play the part.” Lifting her chin with one finger, he forced her to look into his eyes, and his breath caught in his throat as he had never before noticed how much they sparkle. “You look down to no one, Kagome.”
 
She smiled warmly, and the expression - if at all possible - merely enhanced her beauty. “I am just a commoner in a nice dress,” she chuckled as her hand trembled within his own. “How can I wear so much fabric and still feel so naked?”
 
Laughing softly, Hojo brushed a stray lock of hair from her face, tucking it securely behind her ear. The gesture was so familiar to her father's that Kagome could not help the tears that formed beneath her lashes. Now, more then ever, she wished he could be here.
 
“Come,” Hojo smiled and tugged on her hand, “let's do something with that hair.”
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha slumped dejectedly atop the stolen horse as he made his way back toward the robbed convoy with the container clutched tightly in his hand. He hoped the contents were worth the trouble. After all, they had cost him his freedom.
 
“Ah!” the old man cried in joy. “Thank you so much! Thank you, thank you!”
 
Tossing the troublesome item away, Inuyasha slid from his mount with a wince and rubbed a new bruise beneath his breeches. “I thought I'd see the world before I gave my life to my country,” he grumbled as he hobbled toward the man.
 
“Then why did you stop?” Unscrewing the cap, the man smiled as he regarded the prince happily.
 
“I suppose it is because I'm a fucking baka and I lack passion.” Crossing his arms, Inuyasha fitted the old man with a death glare. “You seem to have it in abundance. Besides, you said it was a matter of life and death.”
 
“Sake always is, Sire,” the man mumbled in rapture, taking a small sip from the container.
 
SAKE!? Inuyasha clenched his fists, feeling the sting of his claws in the flesh of his palms as he struggled to control his anger. I gave up my freedom for a drunken old fool?
 
“Master Toutousai has been invited to the palace to forge a new weapon for His Majesty, the King.” Miroku gestured toward the wobbling old man.
 
The Toutousai-sama?” Inuyasha's ears perked forward at the mention of the name. “The one who served under none other than my own father? The brilliant sword smith and opinionated free-thinker of the realm of fire!?”
 
“Uh, I suppose,” Toutousai chuckled drunkenly.
 
“Here I am on my way to freedom and I find my savoir on the way!” Inuyasha laughed happily as he lightly shook Toutousai by the shoulders. “Please, Sir! You have to convince that arrogant bastard that he can not direct other's lives for the sake of diplomacy! Convince him that my father would never demand something like that of me!”
 
“Captain Miroku,” Toutousai sighed, shrugging from Inuyasha's grip, “translation please?”
 
Miroku nodded. “His Royal Highness, Prince Inuyasha, suffers from a furious taiyoukai brother and an arranged marriage…among other things,” he added with a smirk, earning a glower from the distraught hanyou.
 
“Please, Sir.” Inuyasha turned his gaze toward the confused old man once more.
 
“Your Highness, I do not know what I can accomplish, but I will speak on your behalf,” Toutousai sighed as he climbed atop his carriage and took the reins. “I will see you shortly in the palace, no?”
 
“That is good enough for me,” Inuyasha beamed and climbed into the saddle of a grey horse. Motioning toward another guard, he took the reins and gathered the lead of the horse he had stolen earlier.
 
Miroku eyed the prince suspiciously. “What are you doing?”
 
Sighing, Inuyasha shrugged and prodded his horse to move forward slowly, as not to jostle his sore backside. “I am returning this horse before I go back to the castle.”
 
“Ah,” Miroku chuckled having finally taken notice of the torn sleeve and slight dribble of blood from the prince's arm. “I see you did encounter a fiery maiden with a wicked aim.”
 
“In more ways then one,” Inuyasha grumbled, prodding a lump directly above his eye. “Damn servant nearly murdered me for the sake of this stupid beast. She said it was her father's horse and I gave my word that I would return it.” Though the conversation had not gone exactly as Inuyasha recounted, he smiled slightly at the memory and continued through the forest toward the expansive estate.
 
“I see,” Miroku teased, “was this civilized conversation before or after she pierced you with one of her arrows?”
 
Growling softly in warning, Inuyasha's heart sank as they approached the stone pillars of a familiar spread of land. This particular patch of kingdom was one that he avoided at all costs. Why hadn't he noticed whose damn horse he was borrowing?
 
The doors to the manor burst open as the royal procession stopped in the giant circular drive and a smiling, graceful noblewoman emerged from within. “Ah! Your Majesty!” she crooned, sinking into an amazingly deep bow. “What a wonderful surprise! To what do we owe such a great honor?”
 
Inuyasha nearly rolled his eyes as his gaze settled upon the kneeling woman. Of course the horse would belong to her, and of course he would have to smile and be pleasant to her horrible daughter. Biting his tongue, he forced his speech to match the royal manner in which he was raised. “I am returning your horse, my lady,” he grumbled as he handed the lead to one of the guards. “I give you my gratitude for its use.”
 
She tilted her head in confusion. “Was it missing?”
 
Inuyasha returned her bewildered stare with one of his own. The girl had spoken so passionately about the animal he was sure that the lady would express great relief to see its return. “Ah, yes,” he stammered, gathering his composure once more. “I took the liberty of borrowing it this morning. I think I may have startled one of your servants.” Rubbing his aching jaw once more, he couldn't stop the small smile that suddenly graced his lips. “A young woman with a frightening accurate archery aim and a penchant for apples.”
 
Horror splashed across the lady's face as she eyed the torn fabric of the prince's sleeve. “I am so sorry, Your Majesty!” She sank her head lower to hide her tightly clenched jaw and the fury burning in her eyes. “I will see to it that she is punished severely if you do not already demand her life!”
 
“No, no!” Inuyasha's eyes widened in surprise at her declaration. Tsubaki would punish the girl for merely protecting her property? Most would reward such faithful service. “It is fine. She has already been granted my pardon,” he said quickly. He didn't know why he cared so much, but he knew he couldn't allow the servant to be reprimanded for something that he had done.
 
“You are so gracious, my lord,” Tsubaki crooned, “especially toward such an unintelligent and mute servant.”
 
“Really?” Inuyasha's eyes narrowed at the obvious lie, and he stared angrily at the woman. He didn't understand why he was so suddenly furious at the implication that the fiery young woman had been obtuse. “She spoke quite articulately and forcefully this morning. Perhaps you have another young servant employed that you are unaware of?”
 
“No, Sire,” Tsubaki stammered in shame. “Her condition…comes and goes.” Standing, she smiled coyly up at the startled prince. “But as ever, Your Majesty is welcome to anything that he wishes.” Lifting a perfectly sculpted brow, she lowered her lashes provocatively and added, “Anything.”
 
Feel a bit sickened at the lady's obvious insinuations, Inuyasha was about to command that they leave when a shriek of female voices halted his own. His stomach curdled with disgust and annoyance as a familiar face, flushed with exertion, emerged from the manor.
 
“Ladies!” Tsubaki's tone betrayed her disproval. “There you are.”
 
Kikyou and Sango stumbled slightly before they both recovered and adopted their graceful poise. “Your Highness,” they crooned in unison, curtsying so deeply it was a wonder they could retain their balance.
 
Completely preoccupied with the struggle to keep his stomach contents down, Inuyasha did not notice the sudden light that appeared in Captain Miroku's eyes.
 
“May I present to you, Your Majesty, Kikyou-Tsubaki of the House of Tenpi,” she crooned before her voice dropped, “and Sango.”
 
Sango nearly put out her own eye in her haste to place the feather in her hair.
 
“You may indeed.” Inuyasha sighed and forced a smile to lift his handsome features. “Forgive me ladies, for you seemed to have blossomed overnight.”
 
Smiling coyly, Kikyou fingered the large gem perched at the hollow of her throat, and, in turn, pushed her breasts together to deepen her cleavage.
 
“Well, we are looking forward to celebrating your engagement to your own mainland beauty,” Tsubaki continued in that nauseating tone as she stroked the mane of his horse suspiciously close to his muscled thigh.
 
“Yes, well,” Inuyasha clenched his teeth as the light from Kikyou's necklace blinded him, and the lady's fingers brushed him lightly. “There have been recent developments that I do not wish to discuss at this time.”
 
“Understood, my lord,” Tsubaki smiled and bowed once more.
 
“I must say, Kikyou,” Inuyasha growled as another sharp stab of light assaulted his delicate eyes, “that necklace is…stunning.”
 
“This old thing?” Kikyou giggled, pushing her chest up to strain even more against the thin camisole. “You are much too kind, Your Majesty.”
 
Jealous at the attention her sister was receiving, Sango plucked the feather from her hair and swiftly thrust it into her dress between her own breasts. She was blushing so fiercely at the ill-planned move, she missed Inuyasha's smirk and the captain's amused smile.
 
Unable to placate his curdling stomach any longer, Inuyasha nodded toward the women and turned his horse. “Good day, ladies,” he called over his shoulder as he and the procession trotted from view.
 
* * *
 
Ignoring the stares and the cries of outrage, Kagome continued to sprint down the dusty road toward the towering gates that marked the edge of the royal court. Her heart pounded furiously with every breath, though not from her flight, but from her overwhelming fear of the crime she was about to commit.
 
Her thoughts were interrupted as she almost tripped over the mounds of fabric. Releasing a startled breath, she quickly regained her balance and slowed her pace. Kami, how do woman move about in these blasted things? she grumbled to herself as she fluffed the skirt to hide her peasants' shoes.
 
Satisfied, she lifted her eyes toward the horizon. Her heart nearly stopped at the vision of grandeur and royalty that even the dull grey stones could not disguise. Royal guards dressed in the finest of silks and adorned with the red, blue, and silver colors of the Inutaisho, stood stiff at attention and held their spears rigidly. She nearly ran away as one of the guards turned his eyes toward her and studied her intently.
 
This is such a bad idea. Why am I doing this!? Oh Kami, I'm going to get caught! Remembering Hojo's advice and forcing herself to remain calm, she returned his hard stare with one of her own. Remember Jii-chan…I am Jii-chan's only hope.
 
“Make way for the lady!” the guard shouted as he pushed another guard aside.
 
Amazed at the respect a simple dress offered her, she gave the guard a warm smile and strolled confidently through the line. Her gait faltered once more as the castle captured her within its shadow, and she lifted her eyes to study her surroundings. Rich tapestries and banners fluttered in the gentle summer breeze as the most beautiful people Kagome had ever seen wandered lazily about. Woman of grace and refinement giggled daintily and stood within groups as though displaying their beauty for all to see.
 
Swallowing hard, Kagome nodded to a few people that gazed in her direction before quickly walking away.
 
“Please, Sir,” a voice stilled her movements, “I have money to pay the debt! And I have a wife! I beg of you!”
 
She nearly fell off the bridge in her haste to look over the edge, and her eyes widened in horror to see Jii-chan being loaded unceremoniously into the back of cattle cage. Taking a deep breath and sending a heartfelt prayer toward the heavens, she quickly abandoned all reason and marched down the stone steps amid whispers and curious stares.
 
Racing toward the departing cart, Kagome grabbed the reins and pulled the horse to a halt. “I wish to address the issue of this gentleman!” she spoke forcefully, pointing toward a startled old man sitting in the cattle cage. “He is my servant and was stolen from me. I have come here to pay the debt against him so that he may be returned to my household.”
 
“Megumi-sama,” Jii-chan breathed as he stared at the vision before him. He must be dead or delusional, for that was the only way that she could be here now…
 
“It's too late,” the fat driver grumbled as he jerked the reins out of Kagome's hand. “Your servant has been bought and paid for.”
 
“But I can give you twenty gold pieces!” she argued, unaware of the crowd that was gathering to observe the commotion.
 
“My lady, for twenty gold pieces you can purchase me,” he sneered, snapping his whip across the horse's flank. “Now drive on!”
 
Anger flared within her, and she grabbed the reins once more. “Do you really thing it is acceptable to chain people like chattel!? I demand you release him at once!” Doing her best Tsubaki impression, she lifted her chin and narrowed her eyes. “Or I shall take this matter to the King himself.”
 
“The King is the one who sold him!” the driver spat, his face turning red at their audience. “Your servant is now the property of an American nobleman.”
 
The attention of the crowd suddenly split as another procession entered the court. Inuyasha grumbled as several women began waving and posing themselves suggestively before him, and he resisted the urge to not laugh outright at their ridiculous behavior. Noblewomen were all the same. They did whatever or whoever it took to get to the top and live the good life. He was about to dismount when a raised voice drew his attention.
 
“He is not property at all you filthy and smug selfish pig!”
 
Inuyasha grinned at the mouth on the unseen lady as he urged his horse forward to get a better view. The sight he was met with nearly sent him off his mount. The noblewoman was stunning; a vision in the rays of the afternoon sun. Unlike other noblewomen, who kept their skin as fair as the most flawless porcelain, this beauty's complexion was more natural and looked far more healthy. Her cheeks were rosy from the gentle heat of her fury as she continued to chastise the driver, and her dark eyes flashed with the strength of her righteous anger.
 
“He is human being with a family and feelings and I demand you release him at once!” Kagome's breathing was heavy as she stared at the smoldering man. Her heart pounded furiously in fear, but her desire to have Jii-chan returned to Kaede overwhelmed all other rational thoughts.
 
The driver cringed at the crowd of nobles that had gathered around. The King would be in a murderous mood if he didn't get the servants to boat in time. Deciding to risk the crowd's disproval, he turned back toward Kagome. “I said to get out of my way!” he shouted, lifting a hand to strike the impertinent bitch.
 
Tightly squeezing her eyes closed in anticipation of the blow, Kagome cowered, and readied herself, but the strike never landed.
 
“You would dare raise your hand against a lady?” a frightening voice sounded from just above her. Opening her eyes, Kagome looked up to see Prince Inuyasha with his clawed hand wrapped tightly around the driver's arm.
 
“Your Majesty,” the driver stammered, trying to free his limb from the excruciating pain as he chuckled nervously. “I…she…I meant no disrespect!”
 
Kagome turned and graced the prince with a small curtsy, blushing as his eyes swept approvingly over her form.
 
“I'm just following orders!” the driver cried out in pain as his bones shifted. “I'm supposed to take these criminals to the boats!”
 
Inuyasha nearly grinned as the scent of her passionate fury spiked once more.
 
“A servant isn't a criminal, Your Majesty, and those who are cannot help themselves!” Kagome eyes widened as she stared up at the prince's incredulous expression. Suddenly, her brain kicked in, and she remembered just who it was she was speaking to.
 
“Really?” Inuyasha scoffed, releasing the fat man to stare curiously at the fiery girl. “Then by all means, please enlighten us, the ignorant folk.”
 
Miroku smiled as the lady's eyes flashed and the growing crowd ceased its murmuring to listen intently to the young woman's reply.
 
The tiny voice in Kagome's head that warned when she was going too far, was promptly ignored as she stared into his golden eyes. He wanted to be enlightened, did he? Well she had a few choice words that she had been saving for just such an occasion. “If you suffer your people to be ill-educated and their manners corrupted from infancy and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them,” Kagome took a deep breath as she valiantly stared down the prince, “then what else is to be concluded, Your Highness, but that you first make criminals and then punish them?”
 
Several nobles standing apart from the rest of the crowd nodded in agreement as they turned their eyes toward the stunned young prince and awaited his reply. Toutousai, who had also just arrived, stood tall with a grin upon his face as he admired the young woman's spirit and courage. Miroku could barely contain his laughter at the shocked expression on Inuyasha's face and had to turn his head and cough lightly to control himself.
 
For the first time in his life, Inuyasha felts foolish and ignorant, as he had so arrogantly scorned before. The most curious thing of all was that, although this terribly ill-mannered noblewoman had just humiliated him in front of kamis and country, he couldn't find it in him to care. “Well,” he blushed, ignoring Miroku's failed attempts to hide his amusement, “there you have it. Release him.”
 
“But, Sire-!” the driver protested, cradling his broken wrist.
 
“I said, release him.”
 
“Yes, Your Majesty,” the driver grumbled as he hopped from his seat to open the back.
 
Grinning widely, Kagome flashed Inuyasha a grateful expression before making her way around the horse to where the driver was helping Jii-chan from the back. “Megumi-sama,” Jii-chan sobbed lightly as tears stained his dirty cheeks. “Am I dreaming?”
 
“Jii-chan, it's me,” Kagome whispered, resisting the urge to hug the old man.
 
“I thought I was looking at your mother,” he smiled, touching her cheek tenderly with the back of his hand. “Forgive me. I thought I had lost my mind.”
 
Smiling as she captured his hand in her own, she leaned in to whisper, “Meet me at the bridge.” In a firmer voice, she stared straight into his eyes and ordered, “Prepare the horses for we will leave at once.”
 
Jii-chan nodded and limped away as Kagome turned and carefully walked around the carriage. Toutousai stared in wonder at the treasure of a woman before his attention was drawn downward. He chuckled in realization and utter amusement as her scuffed and worn peasant shoes peeked from beneath the fine gown. What a wonder! If only he were several years younger.
 
“I thank you, Your Majesty.” Kagome curtsied lightly as she passes by, shyly lowering her eyes as she scurried away.
 
Ignoring the gasps from the women in the crowd and the protests of Miroku, Inuyasha quickly dismounted and hurried to catch up with the willful young female. As she had turned to leave, the prince had caught a slight waif of her scent, and the aroma had been somewhat familiar to him.
 
“Have we met before?” he asked as he increased his pace.
 
Kagome nearly stumbled in surprise to hear him directly behind her and blushed as she augmented her speed. “I do not believe so, Your Highness.”
 
“I was certain I knew ever noblewoman in the area,” he grunted, matching her pace.
 
Praying that he would just leave her alone, Kagome bit her lip. “Oh, well, I am visiting a cousin.”
 
“Who?” Inuyasha pressed once more.
 
“My cousin.”
 
He almost groaned in frustration. “Yes, you've said that. Which one?”
 
Kagome paused as she searched his molten eyes. “The only one I have, Sire.”
 
Inuyasha suddenly understood the driver's immense aggravation with this perplexing young woman as he too was struck with the urge to shake her into submission. Before he could think about his next words, he found himself nearly shouting in her face as he dropped all his royal manners. “Are you being stupid on purpose, wench? Or do you simply refuse to give me your damn name!?”
 
“Wench!?” she screeched, turning to face him with fury in her eyes. “Who are you calling a wench, you uncouth dog?”
 
Several gasps of horror could be heard all throughout the court as everyone promptly ceased breathing. Kagome slapped a hand over her mouth as the reality of her situation nearly floored her. Did she really just refer to the future king as an `uncouth dog'? She glanced at the stunned expressions surrounding her. Yup, I just did. “I…I beg your forgiveness, Your Highness,” she stammered as her face flushed with embarrassment. “I really must be going.” With that, she quite literally ran away.
 
For several seconds, Inuyasha was unable to think as her expression remained burned within his mind, and her words echoed in his head. A dog, am I? he thought with an internal chuckle. No one else would dare! “Please,” he heard himself plead as he leapt before her once more. “Then tell me your cousin's name so that I might call upon her to learn who you are.” Slightly disappointed with the lady's obvious discomfort, he tried another tactic. “For anyone who can quote Thomas More is well worth the effort.”
 
Kagome paused instantly, and, in that moment, Inuyasha knew he had won.
 
“Your Highness has read `Utopia'.” The adoration in her expression melted his very heart.
 
“Of course,” Inuyasha scoffed, struggling to maintain an air of superiority. “It was recommended by my tutor in order to give me perspective toward the life of peasants and servants. I found it dull. The plight of commoners simply bores me.”
 
He didn't have to be looking at her to know she had just stiffened with anger. The scent of her sudden fury bombarded him. “So I gather you don't converse much with peasants?” she asked bitterly.
 
“I have yet to find a peasant who can speak with grace and refinement enough to hold my interest,” he chuckled nervously. “They are uneducated and communicate just one step higher then that of animals. So no, of course not. Naturally.”
 
Inuyasha stumbled in surprise as Kagome brushed past him with an air of barely restrained rage. “What?” he questioned. “What is it?”
 
“You speak as though you were always `refined' and `elegant'! I happen to know that you have quite the foul mouth and disposition, Your Highness!” Kagome stomped away, the blood pounding at her temples in her anger. “And besides, there is nothing `natural' about it! A country is defined by its `commoners' as you so eloquently label them! They are legs you stand on! Most are devoted and loyal! They slave so that you may have the riches and wealth you do, and that position demands respect!”
 
Kagome's voice was silenced as two clawed hands grab her arms, turning her to look at the surprised prince. “Am I to understand that you find me arrogant, wench?” Inuyasha asked incredulously as he stared into her smoldering eyes.
 
She couldn't help the shiver that flittered down her spine at the touch of his hands upon her body. Taking a deep breath, she softened her tone and graced him with a small smile. “Well,” she shrugged as she pulled from his grasp, “I don't want to think of you in that regard.” Glancing over her shoulder, she noticed the cattle cage as it began to pull away from the main gate. “You gave one man back his life today but did you even glance at the others?”
 
Stunned, Inuyasha's eyes also traveled toward the gate as he admitted that no, he hadn't wasted a thought on the other men in the cage. Hell, he hadn't wasted a thought on her servant because he had been too busy wasting his thoughts on her. It took him several moments more before he realized that she was rapidly walking away once again. “Please.” Much to his shock, he found himself whimpering and bounding after her like a lost pet. “I beg of you. A name - any name at all.”
 
Flushing with embarrassment, Kagome smiled shyly before lowering her head. “I fear the only name I can leave you with is…Lady Higurashi Megumi,” she whispered, cursing herself for her weakness and stupidity.
 
“Well now,” Inuyasha chuckled as his hands twitched with the urge to caress her flushed cheeks, “that wasn't so difficult, wasn't it?”
 
“Inuyasha-sama!” a bright voice sounded from the side. “You're back! I am so relieved.”
 
Turning, the prince gave the newcomer a welcome smile. “Hello, my dear sister,” he answered. “How are you?”
 
Sister? Kagome gulped visibly as her knees began to shake, and she hastily made her retreat. As inthe queen!? The young girl didn't wait to see if her fears were confirmed as she ducked behind a passing carriage and sprinted toward the forest, disappearing into the lush trees.
 
“His Majestic Sesshoumaru-sama would like a word with you.” Rin sighed knowingly as she stepped forward, followed by several nobles and a small toad-like jester. “Several words, actually.”
 
“He usually does.” Inuyasha nodded slightly. “I shall be right in.” Turning back toward the woman who had piqued his interest, he was visibly shaken to find her gone. Where did she run off to? Disappointed, he sighed and turned back toward the palace.
 
* * *