InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Ever After ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I'm sorry for the delay. I managed to break my hand at work and it has left me typing rather slowly. No need to worry though, I am fine. Thank you ahead of time for your concern. (lol) I bring you the next chapter, one of my favorite in the movie. And by the way, thanks to Deonica for the little twist at the river.
 
* * *
 
Chapter Three
 
Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them.
 
- Broderick Crawford
 
* * *
 
 
Inuyasha bit his tongue to hold his temper in check as he and Rin walked steady toward the library at the far end of the castle. Sniffing lightly, he was pleased to find that Sesshoumaru wasn't mad. Oh no, the taiyoukai was absolutely furious. Lifting his lips into the most arrogant and annoying grin he could muster, he threw open the library doors and gestured for Rin to enter the room.
 
“You, Inuyasha, are hereby restricted to the grounds,” Sesshoumaru growled as he waved away his advisors and picked up a glass chalice full of red liquid. “Now, as we speak, I have the royal spiritualists placing sutras and barriers outside these walls.”
 
Snorting in amusement, the prince rolled his eyes before crossing his arms. “Are you putting me under house arrest?” he asked scornfully.
 
“Do not mock me, hanyou, for I am in a foul disposition.” Sesshoumaru crushed the chalice in his hand with a snarl as he stared at the grinning prince. “I will have my way, Inuyasha or-”
 
“Or what?” the prince interrupted, his own eyes narrowing dangerously. “You'll ship me off to the Americas with the rest of the criminals?”
 
Feeling his fury mount with every breath, Sesshoumaru's eyes bled red as focused his gaze on the equally angry hanyou. “You are the second son of our majestic and honorable father and the crown prince of all youkai!” he shouted, ignoring his dripping blood as he dropped the broken pieces of the cup to the tiled floor.
 
“And it is my life and my choice!” Inuyasha shouted back.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, Inuyasha-sama, sit down, please.” Rin pulled a chair for her husband as her own eyes darkened with anger and frustration. “Honestly, the two of you act more like children then royalty!”
 
Breathing heavily to avoid attacking his brother, the taiyoukai clenched his bloody fist and settled into the offered chair. Inuyasha huffed with annoyance before ungracefully plopping down upon a nearby chaise.
 
“Inuyasha-sama,” Rin sighed as she folded her hands demurely, “you were born to privilege and with that comes specific obligations.”
 
“Forgive me, Sister,” Inuyasha spat angrily, speaking before his mind registered what he was saying or weighing the consequences, “but marriage to a complete stranger never made anyone in this room very happy!”
 
Sesshoumaru whirled toward the prince with a look of utter hatred as Rin took a sharp breath and stepped back with a hand over her heart.
 
“Take that back,” the taiyoukai growled in fury, his blood boiling at the scent of his mate's sorrow.
 
The prince internally chastised himself as soon as the words left his lips. Although it was true that Sesshoumaru had fought tooth and claw against his arranged marriage to Rin, the hanyou knew that they were both very fond of one another. They were both very happy. Hating himself for saying something so petty and juvenile, Inuyasha crossed his arms angrily and avoided the pain-filled gaze of his sister-in-law.
 
“Sorry,” he grumbled, turning his head.
 
“You will marry Chibi by the next full moon or I will strike at you in anyway that I can,” Sesshoumaru snapped.
 
Openly scoffing, Inuyasha regarded his brother with disdain. “What'll it be then? Let's see, insubordination against an order from Sesshoumaru-sama himself. Is it hot oil or twenty lashes?”
 
“I will simply deny you the crown and…and…and find a new hanyou brother sired by our great and terrible father!” Feeling slightly humiliated at the ridiculous statement, Sesshoumaru's chest rumbled in displeasure. No one could bring out the worst in him like Inuyasha could.
 
“Good!” Inuyasha shouted and leapt to his feet. “Agreed! I don't want your fucking crown!”
 
Pushing past Rin, the furious prince stomped toward the door of the library. Before exiting the room, he turned and gave his brother one last look of contempt. “You'd better get going,” he mocked. “If you ever want to find another hanyou brother, I suggest you begin your search right away.”
 
With that, Inuyasha stormed from the room, slamming the heavy door behind him.
 
“That fucking self-righteous, half-breed bastard!” Sesshoumaru snarled in an uncharacteristic show of anger. Desperate for an outlet to his rage, he upturned a nearby table, and then cursed himself for his utter lack of self-control.
 
Oh, Inuyasha, Rin sighed as she sagged with weariness. Whatever are we going to do with you?
 
* * *
 
The sun was blistering, and the hard ground unyielding as Kaede furiously attacked the garden soil with a hoe. Pausing to wipe the sweat from her face, her eyes caught movement on the far horizon just beyond a tall pile of hay. Recognition dawned upon the old nanny, and she found herself suddenly unable to breathe. “Oh thank the kamis!” she cried as she dropped her gardening tool and raced toward the couple cresting the hill.
 
“Kaede!” a voice rang clear through the warm air as the limping old man dragged his tired and abused body as fast as it would go.
 
Laughing and crying, Kaede fell into his arms, crushing him in her embrace and showering his dirty features with a spatter of pecks. Jii-chan didn't notice as he held his wife with all the strength in his limbs and dropped haphazard kisses over her face. The reunion was a touching one, and Kagome found her own eyes tearing up at the sight. Smiling warmly, the couple opened their arms and pulled the young girl into the circle of their embrace as they both showered her with affection.
 
“Thank you so much, my child,” Kaede sobbed as her tears drip onto Kagome's shoulder and dampened the thin gown. “Oh, how I love you so!”
 
“And I you,” Kagome choked as she sniffed away her tears. “You too, Jii-chan,” she laughed.
 
“Oh, child!” Kaede squeaked suddenly, pulling away from the trio. “Lady Tsubaki has been calling for you all day.”
 
Groaning, Kagome bent to retrieve the fallen wildflowers before nodding. “I suppose I should go see what she wants.”
 
With a stomach growling in trepidation, the young woman sighed and made her way quickly toward the manor while her fellow servants followed close behind. She could hear voices chattering quietly in the dining hall as she pushed open the door. Mustering up her courage, she stepped softly into the room.
 
“Somebody's-in-trouble,” Kikyou giggled in a singsong voice, placing a playing card upon the table.
 
Confused, Kagome merely stared at her two stepsisters curiously. “What do you mean?”
 
A harsh slap to the face stunned the bewildered girl, causing her to drop the flowers she was holding, and stagger backward to crash heavily in a nearby chair. The seat tilted with the force of her fall, and she quickly placed a hand against the wall to steady herself while her other covered her stinging flesh.
 
“You stupid, spoiled, and selfish bitch!?” her stepmother screeched as she loomed over the frightened young girl. “How dare you do this to me…to Kikyou! Why the whole thing makes me sick! Its deceitfulness, Kagome, and I will not have it in this house!”
 
“What…?” Kagome gasped, her heart pounding furiously against her ribcage. “What did I do!?”
 
Think, Kagome,” Kikyou sneered, settling back in her chair to watch the episode with interest. “Think really, really hard.”
 
Confused beyond belief, Kagome merely stared blankly at her stepsister before something caught her attention. Sitting next to Kikyou, Sango was mouthing words and motioning with her hands. Realization dawned upon the poor girl just before Kikyou sent a murderous glance toward her younger sister.
 
“P-Prince Inuyasha stole our horse this morning?” Kagome stammered reluctantly.
 
“Yes!” Tsubaki spat as her eyes flashed with fury. “And that would explain why he returned it this afternoon, now wouldn't it?” She stood up straight with her hands upon her hips as she continued to glower at her stepdaughter. “How dare you allow him to surprise us like that - to humiliate me in my own home!”
 
“I'm sorry!” Kagome protested as she cringed under the hateful gaze.
 
“Well,” Tsubaki sniffed as she raised her nose and stepped toward her eldest daughter. “Luckily for you, Kikyou turned in a lovely performance.” Smiling, she reached out to smooth her daughter's dark, glossy locks. “She and the prince had quite the connection.”
 
“Yes,” Kikyou purred, placing another card upon the table, “I wouldn't be surprised if he stops by again.”
 
Kagome stared at the scene in disbelief before her stepmother's harsh voice snapped her back to attention. “Come, come!” Tsubaki snipped, moving to stand before Kagome once more. “I want know exactly what happened! The simplest phrase or gesture can have a thousand meanings.” Her eyes narrowed dangerously as she gazed at her stepdaughter. “There was a tear in his sleeve and blood. He mentioned your archery skills, and he said you were forceful.”
 
Cringing as a wave of guilt washed over her, she looked toward Sango for help before returning Tsubaki's gaze with an expression of embarrassment. “I-I shot him when I saw him riding off with father's horse,” she confessed, lowering her eyes. “I called him a…a thief.” At Tsubaki's gasp of horror, Kagome's head shot up once more as she desperately cried, “I did not recognize him!”
 
Tsubaki's expression melted from one of fury to a one of utter amusement. Laughing outright, she shook her head in disbelief before staring almost sympathetically at Kagome. “Oh my poor, stupid little country girl,” she sighed, crossing her arms. “Well, we'll just have to work extra, extra hard to make sure the manor is spotless now, won't we?”
 
Kagome nodded rapidly.
 
“We can't have a royal bottom sitting in a dirty chaise.”
 
Kagome shook her head.
 
“Good.” Turning at a slight sound, Tsubaki's eyes widened as she stared at the couple in the doorway. “What are you doing here?” she asked Jii-chan suspiciously.
 
The old man's fists tightened at the scene before him but for the young girl's sake he bit his tongue and regarded his lady respectfully. “I have paid off your -” he paused as a frightening look crossed Tsubaki's face, “- my debt, my lady. They said I could go home.”
 
“Fine.” Lady Tsubaki shrugged. “Leave my sight immediately.”
 
Nodding, Jii-chan and Kaede flashed one last look of sympathy toward Kagome before stepping out of view.
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha sighed as he lifted his head to breathe deep of the intoxicating summer evening air. Twilight was his favorite time of the day as the sun could just barely be seen, and the stars began to twinkle on the horizon. It was almost as if the night and day co-existed peacefully, both sharing the sky and the earth. Everything about the twilight calmed him, and he tried to be outside during this time whenever he could.
 
“I'm sorry, my dear sister,” he grunted softly as he led the girl slowly through the garden flanking the eastern side of the castle. “I didn't mean to say the things I did today in the library.”
 
“I know.” Rin patted his arm comfortingly. “You and Sesshoumaru-sama get so angry with one another. It is not uncommon for the both of you to let your heart and your mouth run away with you.”
 
“Keh,” he scoffed, though he smiled appreciatively at her generous forgiveness. Rin was never one to hold a grudge no matter how badly he or Sesshoumaru messed up.
 
“So who were you asking me about earlier?” she inquired softly, bending slightly to pluck a lily from its spot in the dirt.
 
Feeling the familiar warmth spread through his chest at the memory of the passionate girl, he turned hopeful eyes toward his sister-in-law. Surely Rin would know where he could find her!
 
“Lady Higurashi Megumi,” he answered, searching her face for a sign of recognition. “She's a cousin of -” he paused, scowling slightly in realization, “actually, I don't know who her cousin is. Please tell me you've heard of her.”
 
Rin wrinkled her brow for a few seconds as she tried to place a face with the name. Unsuccessful, she shook her head. “I'm sorry, Inuyasha-sama,” she shrugged. “There are just too many noblewomen to remember them all by name.” Turning toward him abruptly, she graced him with a sly grin. “Why do you ask?”
 
“Keh.” The prince was unable to hide his sudden blush. “Don't worry about it.”
 
The two stiffened visibly as they sensed youki in the air and turned to see Sesshoumaru stalking toward them with a serious expression painted upon his face. Crossing his arms, Inuyasha returned his brother's solemn glare and growled softly in anticipation.
 
“Retract your claws, Inuyasha,” Sesshoumaru ordered calmly, “I merely wish to speak with you.”
 
Ears twitching, Inuyasha stared curiously at the clearly uncomfortable taiyoukai.
 
“I have decided to throw a ball in honor of Master Toutousai,” Sesshoumaru said after several seconds of tense silence, “at which point, you and I will strike a compromise.”
 
“A compromise?” Inuyasha asked incredulously. “The mighty Sesshoumaru-sama is willing to resign and accept a compromise?”
 
“Do not test my patience and generosity,” the taiyoukai growled as his claws glowed green. “If love is what you seek, I suggest you find it before then. For in five days, at the stroke of midnight, you will announce your engagement to the girl of your choice…or I will announce it for you.”
 
Inuyasha and Rin shared a look of utter disbelief before the prince turned back toward his brother, regarding him suspiciously.
 
“Is that an acceptable agreement?” Sesshoumaru pressed with irritation.
 
“And what of your treaty?” Inuyasha questioned warily.
 
Capturing his mate's hand, Sesshoumaru sighed as he shrugged his shoulders. “Until you are mated and married, I am still the rightful King. Let me worry about the mainland. You have other things to be concerned about.”
 
“Choose wisely, dear brother,” Rin said softly as she stepped back to stand next to her husband with a soft smile. “Youkai laws forbid divorce and mating is forever.”
 
For several moments, Inuyasha did not move as the two turned and disappeared back into the castle. He was at a loss for words in regard to his new situation. While he was grateful to have the opportunity to find love, five days was not a lot of time. Sighing wearily, Inuyasha lifted his head and took a deep breath before huffing in disappointment.
 
Twilight had passed.
 
* * *
 
Tsubaki suppressed the urge to leap for joy at the elegant words printed upon the announcement in her hand:
 
To the Noble Lady Tsubaki and the Ladies of the house.
Our most Esteemed and Honorable Majesty,
King Sesshoumaru-sama
and his Royal Family
cordially invite you to a masque in honor of
the Great Master Swords Smith: Toutousai,
on the eve of the full moon.
 
“What news of the engagement?” she breathed excitedly, folding the invitation and placing it within the protection of her cloak.
 
“Cancelled,” the toad-like jester squawked nervously. “Rumor has it, he must find a bride before that very night or the marriage to the mainland princess will commence as scheduled.”
 
“Well!” Tsubaki almost squealed as she pulled her money purse from her flowing silk skirt. “That doesn't give us much time, now does it, Jaken?”
 
Shaking his head and offering his hand, Jaken smiled at the beautiful Tsubaki as she dropped silver pieces into his palm.
 
“I shall need to know who the competition is,” she purred as the pieces of silver clinked lightly against the clawed toad's hand, “also, every move he makes, his agenda…” she paused, flashing him a coy smile. “And any other tidbits you might dig up.”
 
Grinning wider, Jaken glanced nervously around the estate before leaning in close enough to stare down into the valley of the lovely lady's chest.
 
“His Majesty is playing tennis tomorrow with Miroku-san, the Captain of the Royal Guard,” he whispered with a wink, depositing the money into the pocket of his jester garb. “Tomorrow at noon in the courts on the far western corner of the courtyard.”
 
His eyes widened in shock as Tsubaki seductively trailed her fingers down his cheek to his chest, tracing the intricate design embroidered upon it.
 
“Skin of such elegance,” she breathed lightly into his ear, “concealing such…ruthlessness.” Tweaking his nose playfully, she straightened and granted him a playful wink. “I've grown rather fond of our secret intrigues together,” she giggled softly. “Surely you must know that by now?”
 
Pleased with himself for winning the favor of one so beautiful, Jaken returned her wink before boldly stating, “I'm getting a…stiff inkling, my lady.”
 
He nearly passed out in pleasure as her eyes traveled slowly down his body before dragging back up to meet his own heated gaze.
 
“Once my daughter is queen,” Tsubaki allowed herself to pant slightly and lick her lips, enjoying how the toad squirmed uncomfortably as his breeches grew tighter, “perhaps you and I could come to a new arrangement?”
 
Bowing low, Jaken placed a slobbering kiss upon her delicate hand before hopping into his carriage and riding off the estate's property. Tsubaki's seductive gaze dropped quickly to a scowl as the coach disappeared beyond the gate. Slightly queasy, she scrubbed away the moisture on her hand with a silk handkerchief.
 
“Disgusting toad,” she muttered as she lifted her gaze toward the nearby field where Kagome and another servant carefully approached the columns of beehives just outside of the large garden.
 
Kagome!” she shouted angrily over her shoulder as she turned to enter the manor. “Make sure you gather enough honey this time to fill an acceptable sized pitcher! Last week's biscuits were so dry, I thought you had served me coals!”
 
Rolling her eyes slightly beneath the netting protecting her face, Kagome watched as the Lady Tsubaki slammed the heavy door behind her.
 
“Ignore her,” Kaede muttered as she griped a bowl tightly in her hands. “Oh, I would have given anything to see you all dressed up like your mother - speaking to the prince like a lady!”
 
“Scolding him is more like it,” the young girl laughed, pulling several combs of honey from one of the larger columns, “and I can't believe I gave him my mother's name.” Sighing softly, she lifted one last large piece before dropping it into Kaede's hands. “The man is simply insufferable.”
 
“Yes,” Kaede teased as Kagome placed a hefty stone atop the bee column. “You've been saying that…all day.”
 
“Well, it's as true now as it was this morning!” Blushing, Kagome lifted her netting and began to strip off her gloves.
 
“Oh, darling,” the nanny sighed in exasperation, placing the bowl upon the column so she too could remove her netting and protective gear. “He's royalty! They are born like that.”
 
Kagome shrugged lightly as Kaede retrieved the bowl and began back toward the manor lazily. “Then I suppose the punishment for being wealthy is that you have to live with the rich,” the young girl contemplated as she quickly fell into step beside the old servant.
 
Lifting her brow knowingly, Kaede studied Kagome's faraway expression before giving her own, small shrug. “I bet he's very charming once you get to know him,” she sighed wistfully. “And if nothing else, he sure is terribly wonderful to look at!”
 
“Kaede-sama!” Kagome nearly stumbled in shock.
 
“Well its true, dear girl,” the nanny grinned. “Who wouldn't want those rippling muscles and that sun-kissed skin ready for exploration under their fingers?” She flashed the stunned girl a sly wink. “And don't tell me you haven't fantasized about those adorable ears perched atop that mane of silver perfection!?”
 
Nearly choking in humiliation and horror, Kagome flushed beet-red before dropping her eyes and taking several deep breaths to calm her pounding heart. “Honestly,” she whispered and frowned at the slight twinge in her chest at her own words, “I think he and Kikyou deserve one another.”
 
“Bite your tongue, child!” Kaede scolded forcefully, gripping the bowl in her hands with white knuckled strength. “The only throne I want her sitting on is the one I have to clean every day!”
 
Dropping her jaw in shock, Kagome merely stared at the nanny in astonishment before the two laughed uproariously to the morning sky.
 
“Help these old bones carry these to the kitchen and then put a few extra logs in the lady's room,” Kaede said once she regained her composure and wiped a wayward tear from her face. “It is supposed to be chilly tonight.”
 
Kagome nodded and took the bowl from the older servant's hand, unaware of the commotion that was taking place inside the manor at this very moment.
 
“How about this?” Tsubaki smiled as she held up a sparkling tiara.
 
“Mother,” Kikyou whined loudly. “It is a gaudy, false crown.”
 
“But it will reveal how the real crown will appear atop your beautiful hair,” Tsubaki countered, fingering the glittering gems. “Prince Inuyasha will be sure to notice.”
 
“I doubt it.” Lifting the lid to her mother's jewelry box, she quickly dove inside, tossing various ornaments to land upon Tsubaki's bed. “Besides, don't you imagine that every other noblewoman in the area will consider that exact same thing?”
 
“Ah,” the lady nodded. “Good thinking, Kikyou.”
 
“Mother,” a voice sounded from the door. “I cannot wear this dress.”
 
Lifting her eyes, Tsubaki did nothing to hide the exasperation in her tone as she stared at her younger daughter. “And why is that?” she inquired derisively.
 
Sango grit her teeth in irritation, tugging at the bodice of the gown in vain. “It is too large at the bust and too small at the waist.” Blushing, she dropped her hands and bit her lip in apprehension.
 
“Well, my dear Sango,” Tsubaki sighed, closing her eyes. “I suppose I did not account for your…boyish figure when I purchased that gown.” Ignoring Sango's pained gasp, she opened her eyes and shrugged. “Perhaps you should wear one of your older dresses.”
 
“Mother, focus!” Kikyou screeched, kicking aside a stool in frustration.
 
Waving her hands in a pleading gesture, Tsubaki turned her attention back to her other daughter. “Well it would help if I knew what you are looking for!”
 
“Something fit for a queen!” Kikyou wailed as she collapsed upon the bed.
 
Tsubaki moved forward to comfort her distraught daughter when a brief memory flashed within her head. Pausing, she lifted a finger to tap at her chin thoughtfully, her eyes glazing over as she filtered through images in her mind.
 
“What is it mother?” Sango asked, suddenly concerned at the expression upon Tsubaki face.
 
“I think I have just the thing.” Nodding, Tsubaki motioned for her daughters to follow. “Come, ladies. We must speak of this to no one.”
 
“Oh, I do love a good intrigue!” Kikyou giggled as she leapt from the bed. The two girls fell behind their mother's jaunty gait as she swiftly made her way up the stairs to her expansive bedroom and opened the door.
 
“Waste not, want not!” she chimed happily, kneeling at a chest at the foot of her bed and lifting the heavy lid. Instantly, something inside shone brightly, causing the three ladies to squint at the glow.
 
“Oh, mother,” Kikyou gasped, lifting the shining necklace from its perch atop a beautifully glittering gown. “This is absolutely perfect!”
 
“What a gorgeous dress,” Sango gushed, lifting it from its protective cover. “Wherever did you get this, mother?”
 
“They're Kagome's dowry,” Tsubaki snorted in very un-ladylike fashion, “for her wedding.”
 
Kagome!?” Kikyou laughed scornfully, fingering the beautiful gem in her hand. “Little Cinderella married? To who, the coal miner?”
 
“Mother,” Sango frowned as she handed the dress to Tsubaki. “If these are Kagome's things, perhaps she would like to wear them to the ball.”
 
“Since when does a royal function include peasants?” Kikyou snapped bitterly, eyeing her sister with a look of disgust.
 
Blushing, Sango shrugged as she returned her sibling's angry gaze. “Well, never, but she is our step-sister and the invitation did say: `To the Ladies of the House'-”
 
“She's not of noble blood,” Kikyou protested.
 
“And besides, who would notice if that little brat was missing?” Tsubaki interrupted, tossing the gown unceremoniously upon the bed. “No one.”
 
“Really, Sango,” Kikyou sniffed snootily, “whose side are you on anyway?”
 
“I -”
 
“What are you doing?”
 
The three ladies jump visibly as Kagome's voice flittered softly in the breeze. Snatching the dress from its careless pile on the bed, Tsubaki fidgeted nervously as she glanced at the curious young girl standing stock-still in the doorway.
 
“We're…gathering your things,” she twittered anxiously. “You know, for the ball.”
 
Sango shook her head in disbelief as she stared at her mother and sister in shock. “Her things?” she challenged angrily. “But you just said-”
 
“I suppose for a common country peasant it will have to do,” Kikyou interrupted, glaring threateningly at her younger sister. “I mean this dress is practically an antique and this necklace?” she tossed the shining gem back into the trunk with a scoff. “It's an ugly and kitschy trinket.”
 
For several tense moments the women merely stared at one another, each hiding their thoughts and feelings expertly. Finally, Kagome's façade slipped, and she flashed them a hopeful smile.
 
“You…you wish for me to accompany you to the ball?” Her voice was full of happiness and wonder.
 
“Of course,” Tsubaki answered immediately.
 
Tears formed in Kagome's eyes, and she blinked rapidly before they could trickle down her cheeks. “I-I don't know what to say.”
 
“Say?” Tsubaki expression reflected false regret as she gazed at her stepdaughter. “Honestly, Kagome, it hurts me deeply that you don't feel like one of my daughters.”
 
Slightly taken aback by the statement, Kagome shifted the burden in her arms uncomfortably. “I only meant-”
 
“I thought we could all go as one big, happy family!” Tsubaki interrupted with a big, fake smile.
 
Sango's stomach curdled with disgust as she witnessed her family's deceitful performance, and the honest and raw emotions painted across Kagome's face. She knew that her stepsister wanted nothing more than to be accepted by Tsubaki and Kikyou, but she couldn't believe how easily the two had fooled her.
 
“That is only if you complete your chores in time, Kagome,” Tsubaki's tone adopted her familiar, stern quality, “and mind your manners until then.”
 
Joy swelled in Kagome's heart as she nodded happily, mentally running through the many things she would need to accomplish before that faithful night. At the sight of her stepsister's delight, Sango could not take the scene any longer. With a groan of frustration, she pushed past Kagome and stormed from the room.
 
“What is the matter with Sango-san?” the younger girl asked anxiously.
 
“Oh,” Kikyou stared at her stepsister with disdain. “She doesn't want you to go.”
 
Well that's strange, Kagome thought to herself as she studied her stepfamily. Usually, Sango is the only one that is pleasant to me. Shrugging slightly, the girl unloaded the kindling into the bin by the fireplace and nodded in appreciation before slipping from the room to tell Kaede about the wonderful news.
 
* * *
 
Inuyasha sighed as he stared out at the river stretched before him. The water was calm and surprisingly warm despite the overcastting clouds in the grey sky. Lifting another smooth stone, he caressed the flat surface briefly before launching it into the waters and watching as it skipped across the surface.
 
“Is something the matter, Your Majesty?” Miroku asked, lying comfortably upon the sands of the beach with his fingers intertwined beneath his head.
 
“I believe Prince Inuyasha suffers from the complexities of the heart,” Toutousai grinned and breathed fire from his mouth, heating the metal of the katana in his hands to a glowing red hue.
 
Growling softly, Inuyasha watched another stone skip across the river and land on the opposite bank. “Do you think there is only one perfect mate for one person?” the prince asked suddenly, drawing curious stares from his two companions.
 
“Well,” Toutousai shrugged as he hammered at the cooling sword, “as a matter of fact, that is exactly what I believe.”
 
Miroku nodded in agreement as Inuyasha turned toward them with a slight blush painted upon his cheeks. “Well, how can you be certain to find them?” he asked quietly, staring down at the smooth stones within his grasp. “And if you search and do find them, are they really the one or do you only think they are?” Oblivious to the looks exchanged between the two, Inuyasha continued to voice his conflicting thoughts. “And what if the person you are meant to be with never appears, or she does appear, but you're too distracted to notice?”
 
“You learn to pay attention.” Miroku shrugged and watched as Toutousai breathed his flaming breath once more across the metal.
 
“Fine then,” Inuyasha growled, bending down to retrieve two more stones for his water-skipping distraction. “Suppose the kamis put two people upon the earth and they are lucky enough to find one another, but…” he paused for dramatic effect, “…one of them gets hit by lightning! So then what? Is that it?”
 
Toutousai snorted with amusement as Miroku bit his tongue to contain his laughter.
 
“Then perhaps it is a sign from the kamis that she wasn't whom you were supposed to be with,” the swords smith chuckled lightly.
 
“Did a lady whom captured your heart get struck by lightning, Your Majesty?” Miroku asked innocently.
 
“I'm only speaking hypothetically, baka,” Inuyasha growled in irritation.
 
“Oh,” Miroku grinned, unable to help himself, “then hypothetically, did someone you love get struck by lightning?”
 
“I'm just thinking aloud, you pompous bastard.” The prince turned toward the river once more to hide the look of exasperation upon his face. “So what if you meet someone new after that and marry again? Is that woman your perfect mate? Or was it the first?” Inuyasha paused as a new thought enters his mind. “And if the two were walking side by side - by Kami, which one would you choose and how could ever be sure your choice was the right one!?”
 
Sighing, the frustrated hanyou allowed the remaining stones to fall to the sand at his feet. Abandoning his usual grace, he plopped unceremoniously beside his companions on the ground.
 
“You seem to have put a lot of thought into this,” Miroku pointed out, closing is eyes as he relaxed.
 
“I only have five days,” the prince grumbled. “It is important I think of every angle.”
 
“Matters of the heart can not be dissected and examined like a battle strategy.” Toutousai's voice was surprisingly soft and lilt as he offered his own opinion to the young prince's plight. “It is captured in the moment, felt in the heat of the instant. That is why love is passionate, impossible to replicate, and knows no bounds.”
 
The three sat in companionable silence for a stretch of time with the calm interrupted only by the gentle thump of Toutousai's hammer upon the yielding metal in his hands. Taking a deep breath, Inuyasha stretched back in the sand and closed his eyes, mirroring the captain's posture as his mind blanked mercifully for the first time in days.
 
“Is everything just fate or chance?” Inuyasha found himself wondering out loud after awhile. “Or are some things meant to be?”
 
Opening his eyes and turning his head, he caught sight of the sword smith standing with his completed katana gleaming in his hand. “You cannot leave everything to fate, Your Majesty,” the old man chuckled softly. “She's a very busy woman and sometimes you must give her a hand.”
 
Grinning, the young prince sat up, followed by his captain, and the two of them stared at the handsome weapon in Toutousai's hand.
 
“What is this new project?” Inuyasha asked curiously.
 
Returning the prince's wide smile, Toutousai flicked his wrist and laughed in amusement as his two companions' eyes widened at the sudden transformation of the katana. “Would you care to see if it works?”
 
Grinning, Inuyasha and Miroku leapt to their feet and followed Toutousai toward the water's edge, unaware of the presence in the forest just a stone's throw from where they had currently been seated.
 
Kagome hummed happily as she scrounged around in the dirt for nuts and roots to compliment the evening meal. Her thoughts were a jumbled mess of delight and wonder as she thought of the sudden change in her stepmother's behavior. How she had always longed to go to a royal ball! To dress in finery like a princess, and be swept off her feet to dance in the arms of a handsome noble was a dream come true.
 
Or a handsome prince, her thoughts betrayed her as she reddened in embarrassment. A prince with adorable ears, rippling muscles and sun-kissed skin under the exploration of my -! With a squeak of humiliation, she silently cursed Kaede for corrupting her normally innocent musings and dropped to her knees once more to extract a kernel from the ground.
 
Placing the basket of her collection to the side, her eyes lingered on her mud-caked fingernails and the dirt trapped in the many lines of her hands and palms. Sighing softly as she searched the nearby area for any intruders, she stood, and carefully made her way toward the water's edge.
 
The river was uncommonly warm as she stepped into the lapping tide and removed her peasant's garb. Clad only in her undergarments, she tossed her dress to the bank and stood still for a moment, allowing the breeze to gently caress her form. With a giggle of delight, Kagome eased in to the water and floated on her back, lazily swimming from the shore with slow, even strokes. Her eyes sank closed in pleasure as she felt the dirt and impurities wash free from her form, and her own natural scent emerged once again.
 
Drifting peacefully, she allowed her thoughts to wander once more to the ball, and the promise of a magical evening to the likes of which she had never experienced before. She almost couldn't believe her good fortune, or her family's sudden compassion. Completely lost in her dreams of strong arms and golden eyes, she did not notice as the level of the water began to rapidly recede.
 
Having finally felt herself sink slowly, she automatically kicked out a foot, only to connect painfully with the rocks that decorated the river floor. Confused as to how she had drifted so quickly back to the shore, she opened her eyes and studied her surroundings. A scream of horror lodged in her throat as she flailed in the sudden, ankle-deep water and stared up at the towering walls of river water above her. It took several more seconds before she realized she was sitting in a shallow valley between them.
 
“It worked!” a voice laughed just behind her, and she turned to see an older man holding a glowing katana pointed before him as he walked through the valley. Noticing her for the first time, he graced her with a wide grin. “How do you like my Mizuga? It can control the flow of water!”
 
The old man stumbled back in shock as Kagome's answer was a shrill scream of terror. The cry broke his fragile concentration, and he barely managed to shout for help before the rippling waves of water crashed down upon them.
 
“Did you hear that?” Inuyasha's ears twitched anxiously. “That sounded like Toutousai-san!”
 
Instantly, the two were up and racing toward the shore where just shortly before, the sword master had touched the surface of the water and parted the river like a modern day Moses.
 
“Toutousai-sama!” Miroku called as he and Inuyasha dove without hesitation into the churning and bubbling water.
 
Kagome's scream was torn from her lips as thousands of gallons of river water crashed upon her slender form. Thrashing her arms and legs in an attempt to kick to the surface, she gasped instinctively and retched as she inhaled a lungful of water. Her vision hazed as her limbs lost strength, and her chest heaved with the instinct to draw in a healing breath. However, just before she completely lost consciousness, she felt a pair of hands wrap around her waist and mercifully pull her toward the surface of the water.
 
“Toutousai-san!” Inuyasha cried in concern, pulling the sputtering old man onto the shore and patting his back to help dispel any excess water. “Are you okay?”
 
Nodding, the sword smith turned wide eyes toward the prince as his voice betrayed his panic. “I'll leave the parting of the waters to the prophets of God, but, unfortunately, I think I may have drowned one of his angels!”
 
Inuyasha stared at the old man in confusion before the sounds of splashing drew his attention back to the river. Miroku was stumbling as he struggled to run through the waist deep water with an unconscious woman in his arms. Gasping in shock, Inuyasha's heart pounded painfully as he recognized the fiery and temperamental noblewoman who lay as still as death in his captain's embrace.
 
“She's not breathing!” Miroku cried desperately as Inuyasha leapt into the river and relieved him of his limp burden.
 
Sliding to a halt on the soft sand of the shore, Inuyasha laid her body gently upon the ground and lifted her head with one hand behind her neck. Water spilt from her blue lips as her head lolled to the side in his grasp, and, with no hesitation, he splayed one hand in the valley between her breasts and pressed forcefully. More water trickled from her mouth as he continued his thrusts to her breastbone. When liquid no longer escaped her parted lips, he presses his mouth to hers, sharing a lungful of his own breath.
 
Something painful twisted within his stomach as he began to grow desperate at her unresponsiveness. Continuing his routine of forceful pushes against her chest and the kiss of life, he ignored the sorrowful glances of his companions and prayed silently to kamis to save this stubborn and irritating woman.
 
Relief flooded through his entire being as her face twisted in pain, and her body violently jerked to the side to cough and spit water onto the sand. Without thinking, he pulled the sputtering girl against his chest and held her as tightly as her fragile body will allow. He couldn't stop his own trembling as one clawed hand weaved into her hair to stroke her sodden locks and pressed her face into the space between his neck and shoulder.
 
Kagome's mind was spinning as she struggled to draw in life-sustaining oxygen to her starving and seizing lungs. A part of her heart whispered that she was already dead and in heaven as she felt a pair of strong arms around her frame and gentle fingers massaging her scalp.
 
Heaven or whatever, she sighed against a warm neck and breathed in a wonderfully masculine aroma. I don't care as long as it is eternity in this very position.
 
The prince shivered visibly as her delicate scent overwhelmed his senses, and she released a soft breath against his sensitive throat. Oblivious to the strange looks he was receiving from his companions, he continued to ignore the fact that he was the unmarried, unmated,Crown Prince of Youkai and was currently holding an unmarried, untouched, and unknown woman intimately in his arms.
 
Opening her eyes slightly, her vision focused upon an impressively firm chest, revealed rather deliciously in a sodden shirt parted ever so slightly at the neck. Oh Kami, his neck, she almost groaned as her eyes traveled up the muscled throat and strong jaw of her captor. Ah, to hell with innocent thoughts. If I'm dreaming I'm sure going to indulge in those wonderfully firm muscles, his delectable lips, and his beautiful golden -
 
Her eyes widened in absolute horror as her brain finally registered who it was that had her nestled securely in his arms. A pair of golden eyes - PrinceInuyasha's golden eyes to be more specific - were filled with concern as he studied her stunned expression. With a squeak of surprise, she leapt from his embrace only to trip over the heavy skirt still saturated with river water and fell to the ground in an ungainly and ungraceful heap.
 
Scenting her sudden tears, he quickly knelt at her side as his heart twisted anxiously in his chest. Miroku and Toutousai gazed down upon her as well, their deep concern palpable in their expressions.
 
“Are you alright?” the prince asked tenderly, brushing back the damp hair to reveal her face and her tightly clenched eyes.
 
“No,” she sobbed as tears slowly slipped down her cheeks. “I think I may have broken my dignity!”
 
Unable to help himself as relief rushed upon him once more, Prince Inuyasha threw back his head and laughed heartily to the sky. Miroku grinned as well as he offered his hand to help the young lady to a sitting position. By Kami, if she didn't resemble the spit-fire servant in the orchard the day Inuyasha had tried to flee! Shaking his head, he flashed her a wink and smirked as her cheeks flushed with her embarrassment.
 
“Are you hurt, my lady?” Toutousai's concern was genuine as he knelt in the sand beside her.
 
Blushing furiously, Kagome shook her head and lowered her eyes to her hands. “No, Sir,” she answered quietly, “but I really must get going.”
 
“Go where?” Inuyasha demanded, eyeing her curiously. Now that he finally had this little wench in his possession, he was going to learn more about what it was about her that intrigued him so. “With your clothes and hair soaked, you will catch your death traveling through the forest now.”
 
Kagome glared at him angrily, and he chuckled at the return of her ever changing moods.
 
“Here,” he sighed, pulling his cloak from his shoulders. “We'll light a fire, but until your clothes dry completely, you should wear this.”
 
“It isn't cold!” she insisted as she leapt to her feet. Pulling the cloak from her shoulders, she tossed it back to the arrogant prince, glowering at him with her hands on her hips. Though she tried valiantly to hold it back, she couldn't suppress the shivers that coursed through her nor the chatter of her teeth. She knew this was childish, but she couldn't stand it when people saw her as a vulnerable and helpless fool.
 
“Really?” he mocked, raising one eyebrow in a gesture similar to his brother. “Then why are you shaking wench?”
 
“B-b-because!” she shouted, hugging her upper arms tightly to ward off the chill. “You s-sit there with your s-scornful tone and -” throwing her hands in the air she fitted him with her best death glare. “…you just infuriate me!”
 
Unable to resist this opportunity to best her and get her back for his humiliation in the courtyard, Inuyasha tapped his chin thoughtfully.
 
“So, you shake because you are angry?” he drawled slowly, as though contemplating her words.
 
“Y-yes!” she snapped through chattering teeth, her hands resting once more upon her hips.
 
“Then how do you explain the appearance of your nipples through your camisole, wench?” he asked innocently, almost losing face at her jaw-dropping expression, and the matching, horrified looks festooned upon the visages of his companions. “Are you aroused by my presence?”
 
Screeching in fury, Kagome stepped forward to rip the cloak from his grasp and drape it around her. Shaking - with what is no doubt fury at this time - she moved away from the laughing prince to settling in the sand several yards away.
 
“Come on, wench, I'm only teasing.” Chuckling softly, he seated himself beside her and flashed her an easy smile. “Don't give what you can't take back.”
 
“How have I ever humiliated you?” she asked, pulling the cloak around her tighter.
 
Gaping at her in disbelief, he stammers in a very un-royal like manner. “Don't you remember quoting Thomas More and the release of your servant?”
 
Kagome almost laughed at his appalled expression. “You asked me to enlighten you, Sire.” She bit her lip to stifle her giggles. “I merely obeyed your command.” His own anger began to flare as Kagome flashed him a bright smile. “Now, how about that fire?” she asked innocently.
 
“Oh, please, my lady,” Toutousai said happily, stepping from behind a tree. “Allow me.”
 
Kagome blushed furiously and averted her eyes as the sword smith and captain were clothed in only their undergarment bottoms. Despite her embarrassment, she graced the old man with a grateful smile as he breathed a soft breath of flames onto a pile of kindling, lighting it immediately into a cheery fire.
 
“We should go gather more wood,” Miroku piped in suddenly, flashing Inuyasha a knowing grin. “What do you say Toutousai-san? That small pile burning now will not suffice for long.”
 
The old man grinned as well as he and the captain disappeared into the trees. Kagome stared at the fire in confusion, counting nearly four large logs within its depths. This fire would burn for hours before it began to consume itself. Shrugging softly, she turned to stare once more at the now-placid river.
 
“Where are your attendants, Lady Higurashi?” Inuyasha asked, turning his thoughtful gaze toward her.
 
Never moving her eyes from the tiny ripples in the surface of the water, Kagome gave him another one of her small shrugs and replied, “I granted them a day off.”
 
“A day off?” Scoffing, Inuyasha folded his arms over his chest and stared out at the river as well. “From what…life?”
 
“Don't you ever tire of having people wait on you hand and foot all the time, everyday?” Kagome asked wearily, closing her eyes.
 
“Well,” Inuyasha paused before nodding, “of course. But they're servants. It is what they do.”
 
“And I suppose it is above a common servant to have dreams, ambitions, and a desire to do something other than cater to the needs of others for the rest of their lives?” Kagome could not keep the irritation from her tone as she shifted her gaze from the peaceful waters to the irritating sight of the young prince's confusion. Was he really this dense?
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha stared into her eyes for several seconds, searching for the root of her fire before shrugging slightly. “It doesn't matter if they do or don't. They're servants.”
 
The scent of her fury slammed into him with the force of a tidal wave, and he wrinkled his brow in perplexity at her torrent of emotions.
 
“Well I wish I could dismiss mine as easily as you do yours,” she growled before standing and turning away. “Thank you for saving my life, Your Majesty, but I really must be going.”
 
“You're angry,” Inuyasha stated in disbelief, rising to stand behind her.
 
“No,” she snapped.
 
“I can smell it!” he insisted, grabbing her shoulder to turn her to face him. “Why are you mad?”
 
“Because you are trying to bait me with your snobbery,” she said with a glare, her eyes piercing to his very soul, “and I don't appreciate it!”
 
The words washed over him as he stared into her smoldering gaze, and, for several seconds, he was unable to put a word to the emotion swirling within him. “You're a walking contradiction, wench,” he growled softly, resisting the urge to crush her against him. “And I find it absolutely fascinating.”
 
“Me?” Her expression softened as her brow wrinkled in confusion. “And stop calling me `wench'!”
 
“Yes, you wench,” he goaded playfully. “You spout the ideals of a Utopian society; the rights and feelings of criminals, peasants and servants, and yet you live the life of a noblewoman.”
 
Rising to the bait, Kagome drew his heavy cloak around her shoulders and narrowed her eyes. “And you own all the land there is and yet you take no pride in working it!” Kagome shook her head. “Is that not also a contradiction?”
 
Slightly bothered by her words, he refused to back down. “So first I am arrogant and now I have no pride. However do I manage?” Inuyasha was surprised at his snide tone. It was so easy to slip off his royal mask whenever he was around her. It was so refreshing just to be himself.
 
Sighing heavily, Kagome studied him carefully. “You have everything and still the world holds no joy. And yet you insist on making fun of those who have nothing, but still see the world for its possibilities.”
 
For several seconds, Inuyasha was speechless as he lost himself in the conviction of her words. “How do you do it?” he murmured quietly after some time.
 
“Do what?”
 
Crossing his arms, Inuyasha lowered his eyes to travel down the length of her body. Even concealed behind the ample folds of his heavy cloak, Lady Higurashi was tiny. How was so much spirit contained within this small wisp of a girl? “How do you live each day with such passion?” His eyes found hers once more and something within him melted at her rising blush. “Don't you find it exhausting, wench?”
 
Allowing the slightest of smiles to touch her lips, she softened her expression. “Only when I'm with you, Your Highness.” His heart fluttered at her changed behavior toward him. “Why do you enjoy aggravating me?”
 
“Why are you so easy to aggravate?” he teased, grinning as her face was brightened by a warm smile.
 
“Kagome!”
 
His ears twitch at the unfamiliar name. However, to his surprise, the young girl visibly stiffened and tilted her head in the direction of the voice. “Forgive me, Your Majesty,” she smiled as she removed his cloak and laid it gently in his clawed hands. “I've lost track of the hour and I must be returning.”
 
“But…but…we've collected firewood!” Miroku stammered in humiliation as the girl rounded a clump of foliage to find the old man and the captain of the guard squatting suspiciously upon the ground. “Surely you can rest a bit more!”
 
“I am sorry,” she smiled, despite her first reaction to kick their meddling selves. “I really must be going.”
 
“Lady Higurashi,” the prince called to her fleeing form. “I'm playing tennis tomorrow with Captain Miroku! Will you attend the match?”
 
“I must go!” she called back before disappearing. It seemed she hadn't heard his shouted request.
 
“What a delightful girl,” Miroku sighed as he dropped his `collected firewood' of two sticks at the bewildered prince's feet. “Is she the one that had been struck by lightning, Your Majesty?”
 
“Shut up, baka,” Inuyasha growled at his companions' grins. He lifted the returned cloak to his face and took a deep breath. Her scent was saturated within its fabric, and he folded it carefully to preserve the fragrance. “I wish she'd quit doing that,” he muttered to himself.
 
“What?” Toutousai questioned quietly, his eyes following the path that girl had departed on.
 
“Disappearing.” With a heavy sigh, Inuyasha clutched the cloak tightly to his chest and turned back toward the direction of the castle. His knees shook a bit as the memory of her lips beneath his was pulled from his mind. Raising one hand, he spread his clawed fingers and stared thoughtfully at the digits, recalling how they had fit so snugly over her heart.
 
Even though she is small, he thought with a rare lecherous grin, she is built perfectly.
 
Unconsciously, he began to whistle happily as he leapt through the forest toward a palace that no longer seemed as dismal as it had before.
 
* * *
 
AN: Just another thanks to Deonica for the river scene. It was a late night IM session that brought about the drowning scare and the nipple humor. (lol) You really should be in movies! I love how your mind is just as devious as my own and we tend to really think alike.
 
I have a little quirk, what can I say, I'm a sucker for the damsel in distress kind of thing. I like strong, independent women, but hey, which of us wouldn't like to be saved by a handsome inu-hanyou every once in awhile?
 
I know I do!
 
Regards and please let me know what you think! I'm beginning to think I'm talking to myself out here…
 
Always yours,
clnv