InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Ever After ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I apologize profusely for the delay. For all who feel the stress of our weakening economy, you understand why I've had to devote a lot of time and concentration to my job. For those of you who do not, you have much to be grateful for. So thank you for your patience as I have been struggling to accomplish everything on my enormous list of things to do.
Thank you wbaker for nominating this story at the Feudal Association. I can only hope my writing does not fail you there, as it has done numerous times in the past with the IYFG. Your faith and encouragement are humbling and I am so grateful to you for more than I can ever say.
Thank you Allie for all your funny emails and kind words. You may think I am ignoring you, but I'm not. I'm just trying to find the time to dedicate my attention to you as you deserve 100%. Please bear with me!
Thank you catbaker for all your love and encouragement and everything that you are. Good luck with your e-store! I know you'll do well, because you do well at everything you put your whole heart into.
To make a quick note to an email I received regarding this story: You are correct. It is not exactly like the movie "Ever After". My intention was not to copy it word for word, but bring together two pieces of fiction that I enjoy immensely with the glue of my own voice. Fanfiction is for entertainment purposes only. These aren't paid works or any attempts to steal from the respected owners. I am sorry if you are unhappy with what I've done here. It was certainly not my intention to offend...just to have fun and vent some pent-up, creative energy. Now, without further ado, please enjoy Chapter Four and have a wonderful week.
* * *
 
Chapter Four
 
Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.
 
- Thomas Paine
 
* * *
 
Kaede.”

Tsubaki's voice was hard and cold as she cut an angry glare toward the startled servant. “Where on earth are the candlesticks? We can hardly see our plates!” Setting down her fork, she motioned toward the center of the table where a twin set of candles, barely a few inches tall, sputtered valiantly against the drafts of the evening air.
 
“They're missing, my lady,” Kaede answered softly, lowering her eyes to the floor to avoid Tsubaki's livid stare. “I've search everywhere.”
 
“The painting in the upstairs hall is gone as well,” Kikyou added with a sneer, cutting into her potatoes. “It seems we have a thief in our midst.”
 
“I see.” Tsubaki reclaimed her utensil and glowered at the servant. “So this is how I am respected after all our years together? My late husband's most prized possessions sold like common wares?” She studied the nanny curiously before returning her attention to the food. “Well, I shall just have to garnish your wages until the pilfered items are returned. Is that understood?”
 
“Yes, Ma'am,” Kaede muttered, clenching her fists behind her back in anger. Kagome flashed her a sympathetic look before returning her attention to the ladies at the table.
 
“Perhaps I shall ship you off to the Americas with all the rest of the thieves,” Tsubaki grumbled as she lifted a morsel of meat to her lips.
 
“Oh,” Sango smiled as she set down her cup, “didn't you hear Mother? The prince went to His Majesty, Sesshoumaru-sama, and asked him to release all those men.”
 
“What?” Kagome stammered in disbelief at the news, forgetting herself momentarily. “He did?”
 
“Oh yes!” Sango laughed happily, smiling at her stepsister's keen interest.
 
A harsh look silenced both girls as Sango lowered her head, and Kagome remembered her place and held her tongue. For several seconds, Tsubaki studied her stepdaughter for any indication as to why she was suddenly so interested in affairs that did not concern her. After awhile, she shrugged and continued her meal.
 
“You were saying, Sango dear,” she said sharply, pausing to sip her tea.
 
“Of course.” Nodding softly, Sango reluctantly lifted her eyes to address her mother. “Now, by royal decree, any man who sails must be compensated.”
 
“Compensated?” Tsubaki shook her head in disbelief. “Honestly, my daughters, what is the world coming to?”
 
Kikyou sighed as she set down her spoon. “Well the only thing I am interested in is this `lady' everyone keeps chatting about,” she pouted, lifting her chalice to catch Kagome's attention in a silent order to refresh her drink. “There must have been ten noblewomen speaking of her today - about her stunning beauty and how the prince fell all over himself chasing after her.”
 
Kagome barely managed to hide her smile while Kaede did nothing of the sort, and a happy grin nearly cracked her wrinkled face in half. Retrieving the water pitcher, Kagome shot the nanny a warning look before moving toward her eldest stepsister.
 
“Is that so?” Tsubaki raised a brow in thought as she ran through her mental list of competing noblewomen. No one in particular came forth in her mind. Intrigued, she also lowered her silverware and leaned toward her daughter slightly. “What else did they say?”
 
Kikyou scowled angrily as she recalled the conversations flittering around the court about the mysterious woman. Commonly, noblewomen gossiped amongst themselves about themselves, and nothing was flattering or complimentary. Today, however, as Kikyou had strode lazily through the throngs of nobles, in every overheard conversation, she could not detect a hint of malice or jealously - nothing to tarnish the shine and beauty of the supposed `lady'. Several had even commented on the mysterious woman's quick temper and her well-deserved insults at Prince Inuyasha. It seemed this new arrival had captivated the court as easily as she snared the interest of the prince.
 
“Oh, just some nauseating nonsense about her kindness and intelligence.” She lifted her glass as Kagome quietly approached the table with the pitcher. “It really is a bunch of drivel though. No one is that perfect.”
 
“Well,” Tsubaki grumbled as she snatched her silverware from the table and neatly sliced off another piece of meat, “we should find out who she is and bury her.”
 
The three women jumped as Kagome's normally sure movements jerked, and she sent Kikyou's chalice clattering across the surface of the table. Kaede barely managed to catch it before it shattered upon the stones and handed back to the trembling girl with care.
 
“Forgive me,” Kagome murmured nervously, righting the glass, filling it with water, and ignoring her stepmother's suspicious stare. With a small bow, she returned the pitcher to a nearby cart and resumed her position at the dining hall's door. Groping blindly at her back, Kagome nearly sighed as her hand was suddenly grasped and held tightly in a warm and leathery grip. With a small squeeze, Kaede conveyed her amusement and praise as the two remained silent and stone-faced for the remainder of the meal.
 
He asked the King to compensate thieves! Kagome's heart fluttered as she recalled her stepsister's announcement. Perhaps under all that crudeness and arrogance is a man who isn't so bad after all.
 
* * *
 
“Let us try to sell more this week then last,” Tsubaki sighed as she stared disapprovingly at her stepdaughter and a few select servants. A well-used cart had been set up in the market, overflowing with various fruits, vegetables, and a handful of unruly livestock. “These meager rations are barely bringing in anything at all.”
 
“Yes, my lady,” was the softly uttered reply.
 
Turning on her heel, the Lady Tsubaki quickly disappeared into the crowd, followed closely by Kikyou in a beautiful lavender silk dress. Kagome stared after them for a second before she noticed Sango's nervous fidgeting in her own simple peach-colored gown. Though not as elaborate as her elder sister's, the dress complimented the natural lean form of her younger stepsister without being overly ostentatious.
 
“Have fun at the tennis match, Sango-san,” Kagome said as she smiled warmly at her stepsister before the older girl had a chance to turn away. “You look lovely in the dress you are wearing today.”
 
“Thank you.” Searching over her shoulder for her mother, Sango's eyes swept over the crowd before she relaxed and returned Kagome's kind expression. “I wish you could go. Then again, tennis matches are so dull that you probably have much more fun in the market.”
 
“Perhaps,” Kagome giggled in agreement. “There is never a short of interesting things to see in the market.”
 
Giving the younger girl a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder, Sango smiled and disappeared in the direction that the rest of her family had gone.
 
The courtyard was packed with nobles, mostly women in their finest gowns, and each held a handkerchief embroidered with their initials or a family crest. Their elaborate curls and coifs were done as perfectly as their carefully made up faces, and each looked as though they were about to be wed - certainly not what you would have expected to find in the audience of a tennis match.
 
Several women giggled and posed as Inuyasha stepped from the cover of the booth and gazed up at the crowd. He frowned lightly as his eyes searched the many faces for his little impertinent wench and did not see her. Ignoring the internal chiding he received for calling her wench and then again for referring to her as his wench, his nose tested the air for a hint of her unique scent. Instantly his eyes watered as perfumes and cultivated aromas bombarded his delicate senses, and he immediately dulled his nose. The sting of his sinuses drove him to appreciate the fact that Lady Higurashi did not wear such things to mask her own fragrance, and he found himself smiling at the image of her features flushed with embarrassment and anger.
 
“Is she out there?” Miroku asked softly, stepping beside the prince. The captain flashed Toutousai a knowing grin as the two managed to catch the young prince off-guard.
 
Inuyasha blushed in embarrassment that he had been caught daydreaming. “Who?”
 
Chuckling, Miroku shrugged and leaned his back against the wall, resting the top of his tennis racket on the ground as he sighed wistfully. “My angel has come,” he announced, and, closing his eyes, he allowed his imagination to conjure the image of his beauty in her pale dress.
 
“What?” Inuyasha's gaze discreetly searched the crowd once more. “Who has finally grabbed your lecherous attentions?”
 
“Well, all women grab my `lecherous attentions' as you so affectionately put,” Miroku grinned as he lifted his racket to his face, “but if you are referring to the woman who has stolen my heart, well that would be the Lady Tsubaki's lovely daughter.”
 
“Kikyou?” Inuyasha gagged momentarily at the thought of that horrible woman being the object of anyone's affections.
 
“Of course not,” Miroku scoffed, lifting his racket to rest upon his shoulder. “She does have another daughter.”
 
Without much effort, Inuyasha found the odd trio in the far left corner of the courtyard. Kikyou, as ever, was stunning dressed in the most expensive of silks and rarest of gems. Her mother was almost equally attractive, betraying only a hint of her age in the slight wrinkles that had begun to form around her eyes and mouth. The prince's eyes found the second daughter, easily overlooked as her own garment and manner did not match the finery and grandeur of the rest of her family.
 
“She's pretty,” Inuyasha nodded in approval, returning his attention to his captain and friend before adding, “at least, on the outside.”
 
Before Miroku could protest, the sword smith cut him off with a wave of his withered hand. “A rare treasure, overshadowed as her light is hidden behind the garish display of her sibling and mother.” Toutousai said with relish as Miroku managed a blush at his words. “Now, I believe I am here to referee a tennis game, gentlemen, not a boxing match. And I am most certainly not here to discuss the complexities of the heart and the mystery that is a woman.” With a sharp look at the two, he turned on his heel and walked toward the court.
 
Grinning, Inuyasha nodded and he and Miroku took to the court with a polite smile and wave to the rest of the crowd. The roar was deafening to the hanyou's ears as the cries and promises of hundreds of women echoed between the walls of the tennis compound.
 
“Do you see her?” Miroku whispered as the two shook hands and bowed as per custom.
 
Shaking his head, Inuyasha released a small sigh and moved to his side of the court.
 
“Begin!” Toutousai commanded, tossing the tennis ball to Miroku to start the game.
 
Flashing a grin at the lovely Sango, Miroku served the ball against the wall, dropping it expertly into the prince's side of the court. Inuyasha returned the serve with ease, relishing in the exercise and hoping that his wench was watching even though he hadn't detect her presence in the crowd.
 
The captain's next strike was directly over the net, aimed for the hanyou's delicate unmentionables. Scrambling to protect himself with snarl, he overcompensated for the force and returned the strike feebly, giving Miroku the opportunity to make a driving volley. The swing was a bit wide, and Inuyasha knew that he probably should have just conceded and given the captain the point. However, the smug look on his friend's face launched him into action and he dove for the save, earning the point at the same time he crashed through the protective netting and into the unsuspecting arms of one of the Royal Guard.
 
“Oh Your Majesty! Are you hurt? Prince Inuyasha, are you alright? Your Highness!”
 
He growled as he leapt gracefully from the ground and back onto the court. Forcefully shaking his head, he tried to dispel the ringing in his ears from the shrill voices of the many noblewomen that had surrounded him. Instantly, his face flamed with humiliation as he realized there were handkerchiefs tucked securely into every available opening in his clothes.
 
Every available opening.
 
How in the name of the kamis had they stuffed him so fast? He had only been grounded for seconds! Growling softly, he ripped the offending scraps of cloth from his body and tossed them to a nearby guard. “Hold these,” he commanded gruffly before turning back toward Miroku and positioning himself to accept the next serve.
 
Smirking slightly, Miroku merely shrugged and pointed to the crowd behind him. Confused, Inuyasha turned and instantly his mood darkened as his eyes landed upon the one who was in possession of the tennis ball.
 
“My gratitude, Kikyou,” he said curtly, plucking the ball from her long fingers. Painting a strained smile upon his face, he bowed in gratitude and accepted her offered handkerchief. “You are looking well today.”
 
“Your Highness is more than welcome to look,” she purred back, lifting her chin slightly to draw attention to her plunging neckline. “Anytime it pleases him to do so.”
 
Biting his tongue to contain his grimace of disgust, he managed a weak smile before turning his attention back to the game. A wave of relief washed over him as he felt Kikyou retreat. Serving the ball once more, the prince lost himself in the game and tried to forget the hundreds of eyes that were watching his every move.
 
* * *
 
The market was bustling with activity as the tennis match drew to a close, and the prospect of hundreds of nobles flooding the booths and merchant carts was reverberating through everyone's mind. Though it was easy to get lost in the noise and movement of the crowd, one man commanded an air of superiority as he strolled through the throngs, smirking as the crowd parted in his path. Something about him was sinister and malicious, causing all who were unlucky enough to have met his gaze to shiver in revulsion.
 
His black eyes wandered over the many displays of merchandise as he walked idly through the market. Though he showed interest in everything, he was really only looking for one item and one item alone.
 
“Ah,” he crooned seductively as he stepped beside a beautiful young woman, hidden beneath layers of coarse fabric and a smudges of dirt. “Higurashi Kagome, my wildflower. You grow more lovely with each passing week.”
 
“And you, Count Naraku, are wasting your flattery,” she answered with a scornful look. Normally she was polite to everyone, but, since the first time he had set his cold and unfeeling eyes upon her, she had never shaken the fear of what this man could be capable of. Not to mention he disgusted her with his constant suggestive remarks and crude behavior. Every look he graced upon her literally made her skin crawl.
 
“It is a pity your soil is the best in the country and yet so poorly tended.” He resisted the urge to wipe a smear of such soil from the tip of her dainty nose. By kami, what he wouldn't pay to have such a woman in his household.
 
“It is a pity,” Kaede cut in, stepping beside the trembling girl and squeezing her hand reassuringly, “but we do the best we can, Sir.”
 
“Is there anything I can do?” he asked with false sincerity, leering at Kagome with lust-filled eyes. His intentions were painted all-to-plainly upon his sharp features.
 
“Perhaps you should take it up with Lady Tsubaki and stick to shopping,” Kaede snapped as her own uneasiness grew. She hated the slimy bastard, ever since he had began his inappropriate perusal of Kagome nearly a decade ago.
 
“I'd rather discuss it with Kagome if you wouldn't mind,” he replied gruffly, flashing the nanny a evil glare before turning his attentions back to the young girl. “I may be twice your age, my flower, but I can assure you I am well endowed.”
 
Groaning slightly at the implication, Kagome did not hide her look of disgust as she turned away to tend to another bushel of goods.
 
“As evident by my estate, of course,” Naraku grinned, knowing the reason for her discomfort. Her innocence was nearly as tantalizing as her beautiful body. “I've always had a soft spot for the less fortunate. You need a wealthy benefactor and I…” he paused, allowing his eyes to travel the length of her form, leaving no doubt as to his implications. “Well, I need a beautiful and fiery young woman to keep my bed warm and my interest piqued.” He leaned forward to capture the scent of her long and lustrous hair.
 
“Vinegar?” she piped happily, thrusting the jug beneath his nose and causing him to snort and gasp in pain.
 
“I will buy nothing this week,” he growled angrily, rubbing his watering eyes. “And you would do well to remember that without my generosity, your pathetic little farm would cease to exist. So I'd be very, very careful if I were you.”
 
Kagome lowered the jug slowly, her curiosity mounting as the threat sank into her mind. Uncomprehending his cryptic warning, she merely shuddered and looked away as he licked his lips sensuously, turned, and disappeared into the crowd.
 
“Oh,” Kaede shivered violently, wrapping a protective arm around Kagome. “What a horrible man. If he didn't buy a bushel of vegetables every week…I-I'd spit on him!”
 
Giggling softly, Kagome and the others turned back toward the booth to finish placing their wares out for display. They were unaware of the swiftly approaching procession adorned with the royal banner and consisting of their equally horrible mistresses.
 
Inuyasha growled softly as he strolled through the market. He would have chosen a much quicker pace to traverse the cramped area of the grounds, but was unable as Kikyou was attached heavily to his arm, dragging her feet with every step. Lady Tsubaki walked directly behind them, studying the two intently though she tried to appear uninterested. Miroku chuckled softly as noticed the obvious signs of Inuyasha's discomfort such as the stiff back, twitching ears and muttered responses to Kikyou's unending barrage of questions.
 
“Is there something funny?” Sango asked softly so as not to alert her mother.
 
“Only that someone such as yourself could be related to them,” he grinned, taking her hand and relishing in the fierce blush that covered her soft cheeks. A small package was pressed into his palm, and the captain studied it for a moment before tapping the prince lightly on the shoulder, passing it on.
 
“Oi,” Inuyasha grunted as he lifted the lid and retrieved a piece of dark candy from within its confines. “I bet you never tasted anything like this.”
 
The prince was appalled as Kikyou sudden opened her mouth wide and closed her eyes in anticipation. The first few attempts to simply toss her the tidbits were unsuccessful, and so the poor hanyou relented, allowing his finger to rest lightly upon her mouth as he slipped the candy between her lips. Instantly, she captured the digit with her teeth and gently swirled her tongue around his claw, releasing it with an audible pop.
 
“Uh, do you like it?” he asked, clearly uncomfortable and controlling his desire to sink his hand into a vat of nearby snake venom.
 
“Oh, Your Majesty,” she groaned with orgasmic exaggeration. “Like it? It is positively sinful! What is it?”
 
“Chocolate,” he replied, handing the rest to a small peasant child and patting her on the head. “The mainland sends us bricks of it every month.”
 
“It's wonderful,” Kikyou gushed and snuggled closer to the prince. “I've never had anything like it.”
 
Sango tilted her head in confusion. “We've had chocolate,” she said, perplexed. “Kagome's father-”
 
“Sango, dear,” Tsubaki cut in icily, “please do not interrupt their conversation.” The younger daughter nearly withered under her harsh stare.
 
“Kagome?” Inuyasha turned to regard the Lady Tsubaki curiously. “That is the second time I've heard that unusual name. Who is she?”
 
“She is nobody Your Majesty should waste a single thought on,” Tsubaki crooned, smiling widely and gesturing for the two to continue their walk. Glancing behind her shoulder, she fixed her younger daughter with an angry scowl before moving to look to the front once more. Sango nearly allowed her tears to fall until she felt a soft and reassuring hand upon her shoulder. Miroku smiled sympathetically, allowing his hand to travel down her back and caress the soft swell of her backside. Resisting the urge to slap the Captain of the Guard, Sango merely took his hand in her own and crushed it mercilessly.
 
Wait! Inuyasha's steady gait faltered slightly as a scent just barely brushed past his nose. Could it be!? If it is, I don't want to been seen in the company of Kikyou! I don't want to give her the wrong impression!
 
“Is something the matter, Your Highness?” Kikyou questioned in concern, reaching up to rest a clammy hand upon his forehead. “Your face is suddenly so pale.”
 
Shaking his head softly, Inuyasha moved his eyes around the market, searching and hoping for a sight of her welcome face. For just a smile from the Lady Higurashi, he would have happily dumped Kikyou and her horrible mother off in the market. Hope blossomed in his heart as he impatiently tugged Kikyou along. The scent grew a bit stronger as they traveled deeper through the crowd.
 
“These are our servants, Your Highness,” Kikyou said sweetly, lifting her head in smug satisfaction.
 
“Really?” Inuyasha remembered the one whom had treated servants and peasants like any other person. He suddenly wondered how Kikyou and her horrid mother treated theirs. He had no doubt that the servants in their household were among the unluckiest in the country. “I'd love to meet them.”
 
“M-meet them?” Kikyou glanced at her mother at a loss as to why the Crown Prince of Youkai, would want to meet their servants. “But of course.”
 
Kaede's heart nearly seized in her chest as Prince Inuyasha himself appeared before her with a soft smile lighting up his handsome face. His grin was genuine for the scent he has secretly hoarded in the safety of his traveling cloak now surrounded him fully. She must be here, he mused silently. Perhaps she is shopping the market?
 
“Good day, Madame,” he addressed Kaede before turning his eyes upon another servant bent over beside her, struggling to gain control over a wayward chicken. The second servant stood, and, suddenly, Inuyasha found himself with a face full of a frightened fowl as several people around him cried out in alarm.
 
“What in all the seven hells-?” he shouted, stumbling back against Miroku who just barely managed to catch him. Finally regaining his composure, Inuyasha turned his eyes back toward the booth where the old lady stood rigid with fear…alongside another elderly servant in a grey dress.
 
Funny, he thought suspiciously, smoothing his unruly mane of silver hair, I could have sworn she was wearing a blue dress. His mood darkened further as he realized that he had lost track of his favorite scent.
 
“What on earth do you think you are doing?” Tsubaki squawked, her eyes flashing dangerously upon her servants. “What are you trying to do? Scare him to death!?”
 
“No, Mistress!” Kaede pleaded, lowering her eyes respectfully. “We were just startled. That's all!” With that, both servants curtsied deeply, keeping their eyes glued to the ground.
 
Inuyasha stared at them for several seconds, his eyes flickering back and forth between the two skeptically. He is positive it had been a blue dress. “Were there just the two of you here?” he asked, tilting his head to study their expressions. Both radiated a scent of anxiety and trepidation as they continued to stare at their feet.
 
“And the chicken, Your Highness,” Kaede answered softly, earning a snort of laughter from Miroku as he bit his lip - hard.
 
Not the least bit amused, Inuyasha sighed. They were hiding something, but he couldn't blame them for keeping silent in Tsubaki's presence. No doubt the servants were terrified of her. He could get to the bottom of this later.
 
“We will be discussing what happened this afternoon when we return to the manor,” Tsubaki nearly snarled in her rage.
 
Regarding the servants sympathetically, Inuyasha shook his head and smiled at the irate lady. “I am fine, Lady Tsubaki,” he reassured her. “There is no need to punish your servants. I should not have startled them.” Turning back to Kaede, he nodded his head. “I apologize, Madame.”
 
The older nanny clutched her chest and curtsied deeply to the prince. “You are too kind,” she murmured graciously.
 
Tugging on Kikyou's hand once more, Inuyasha ignored the looks of stunned disbelief that followed him out of the market.
 
* * *
 
The night chill was bitter and sharp as Kagome listened to her stepmother prattle on about how wonderfully her daughter had managed to seduce the Prince. Shivering slightly, Kagome placed another log upon the fire and smiled as the warmth instantly surrounded her trembling form like a gentle hug. Using heavy tongs, she plucked the large embers and coals from the bottom of the inferno and placed them inside the thick metal pans at her feet.
 
“Christmas in Paris!” Lady Tsubaki laughed musically as she lazed about her bed. “Can you just imagine?”
 
Clamping the two pans together, Kagome rose and slipped the warmed metal between the mattresses atop her stepmother's bed. She smiled dreamily as she pictured the Eiffel Tower, draped in a blanket of snow and backlit against the brilliant skyline of the most romantic city in the world. It was a familiar image upon her memories from the hundreds of books she had read on the subject and her father's splendid tales.
 
“No,” Tsubaki sighed, misunderstanding Kagome's expression as one of confusion. “I suppose someone as ignorant and simple as yourself could not.”
 
Hurt by the curt dismissal, Kagome merely stood and allowed her expression to retain its blank mask. It did no good to reveal her feelings. In fact, in Kagome's past experiences, it only seemed to make matters worse. Sighing heavily, Tsubaki rose from the bed and sat herself rigidly in a chair before the fireplace, sweeping the heavy curtain of her hair over her shoulder in expectation.
 
“My mother was hard on me too, you know,” she said conversationally as Kagome quickly washed her hands and retrieved her stepmother's ivory brush from atop the dresser. “She always preached that cleanliness was next to godliness and forced me to scrub my face twenty times a day, claiming it was never clean enough.”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” Kagome murmured obediently and for several moments, the only sounds in the room were the crackling of the fire and the gentle scratch of the brush as it was pushed through Tsubaki's thick and glossy locks.
 
“I was grateful to her though,” Tsubaki finally said, closing her eyes as Kagome's gentle administrations relax her thoroughly. “She wanted me to be all that I could. And here I am now, a Lady of the Court.” Opening her eyes, she allowed a rare and genuine smile to grace her lips. “And soon, Kikyou will be queen.”
 
Kagome ignored the disgust that rose in her stomach at her stepmother's words. The mere picture of Prince Inuyasha's perfectly sculpted chest under the fingers of that spoiled and selfish-
 
Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted as Tsubaki took a firm hold on her wrist and pulled her around, forcing her kneel at her feet. For several seconds, the woman merely stared, studying the features of her stepdaughter's face; searching for any sign of beauty or refinement. “It's a pity you never knew your mother,” she whispered absently, tracing a perfectly manicured nail down the ridge of Kagome's nose. “There must be a little bit of her in you somewhere.”
 
Swallowing the lump in her throat and sudden burn of her heart, Kagome returned Tsubaki's stare with sincerity and sadness, allowing her closely guarded emotions to leak through. “I wish I knew what she looked like,” she admitted softly. “They said that she was beautiful.”
 
“Well we must never feel sorry for ourselves,” Tsubaki barked, her voice and manner returning to normal. “No matter how bad things are they can always get worse!”
 
“Yes, Madame,” Kagome whispered, lowering her head in shame.
 
A soft grip on her chin raised her head, and Kagome was forced to stare into her stepmother's beautiful face once more. As cold and cruel as the woman had been to her, Kagome could not deny the Lady Tsubaki was a very lovely woman. As her eyes swept over Tsubaki's refined features, she could almost swear she noticed a slight slip in the Lady's composed mask.
 
“You have so much of your father in you,” Tsubaki said softly, her voice wavering in just the smallest amount. “Sometimes I can almost see him staring out at me through your eyes.”
 
A warm wave of hope surged in Kagome's tired heart and she graced her stepmother with a warm and honest smile. “Really?”
 
“Yes, well,” Tsubaki bit her lip as her eyes burned slightly with years of unshed tears, “you're features are so rough and masculine and to be raised by a man…” She patted Kagome lightly on the arm. “It's no wonder you're built for hard labor.”
 
Kagome was about to stand when a tiny flicker in her heart forced her to stay. “Stepmother,” she said softly, studying Tsubaki's face for any signs of deceit. “Did you love my father?”
 
Though the question startled her, Tsubaki did not allow it to be expressed through her features. “I only knew him for such a short time,” she answered, her eyes misting against her will as familiar memories and emotions swelled within her bitter heart. “He pursued me because he was looking for the perfect wife, the perfect mother and I thought that any man who only chose the very best, would only be the very best.”
 
Kagome's smile quickly fell as Tsubaki's mask slipped even further.
 
The Lady's voice cracked as she momentarily lost her iron hold on her composure and allowed her pain to shine through. “How was I supposed to know that I would never be first in his heart!? That I would be a glorified nanny to a child only because her father thought it best to prepare her for only the best of marriages?”
 
Kagome was stunned as the hateful and bitter words spilled from her stepmother's lips. She had never understood their relationship, and it seemed he died before they even could have one.
 
“Leave me,” Tsubaki hissed as she rose from the chair and stood at the window, staring out upon the rising moon. “I'm tired.”
 
She waited until she heard Kagome pad lightly down the stairs before throwing herself atop her bed and crying heavily into the expensive pillows.
 
* * *
 
“I'm telling you, Hojo-kun,” Kagome giggled as she posed rigidly with an imaginary katana in her hand. “It was the most incredible thing! He touched the river and the waters parted, allowing him to walk right through!”
 
“And nearly drown you in the process,” Hojo teased playfully, running a leather thong tenderly across his own crafted blade. “And you're changing the subject! I don't know what you are so happy about! They really will make you sleep in the manure house if they get married!”
 
“And I don't know why it bothers you so,” she giggled again, poking him lightly in the arm. “I could really care less!”
 
“You're lying!” Hojo accused, lowering the blade to stare openly at the pretty young girl. “Delicious Prince Inuyasha would be your brother-in-law and you, Lady Higurashi Megumi, would become their new throne maid.” He grinned for a moment, letting his words sink in. “And I don't mean the royal one.”
 
“Perhaps at first,” she shrugged, plopping gracelessly into the soft, tall grass. “But then they would move into the palace and I could stay at the manor, turn things around and make life better for all of us! That's all that matters.”
 
“You like him, Kagome,” he teased, “admit it.”
 
“Nope!” she laughed, rolling to the side and propping her head up with one hand. “Now quit stalling and show me!”
 
“Fine, fine,” Hojo rolled his eyes as he stood and positioned his new blade before him. “Watch carefully.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened as the blade glowed blue before transforming into a large and transparent dragon. “Wow,” she breathed as the massive creature spread its wings and roared to the morning sky. Standing, she carefully stepped toward the grumbling creature and held out a hand. “What do you call it?”
 
“I call it Ikimonoga,” Hojo grinned proudly. “It is a katana that can transfigure into any animal of the bearer's desire.”
 
“Does it just look like a dragon or does it act like one as well?” she asked cautiously, staring up at the beautiful beast.
 
“See for yourself,” Hojo grinned. Kagome barely had enough time to gasp before she was snatched from the meadow floor and carried high into the air. The dragon soared effortlessly across the sky, banking sharply to the left and right, releasing long streams of bright flames harmlessly toward the clouds.
 
“Hojo-kun!” she shrieked with what little breath she had left. “You're brilliant!”
 
His merriment faded as he caught movement at the far end of the meadow, and he quickly commanded his dragon to dive and hover just above him. “So you don't like the prince?” Hojo asked a panting and red-faced Kagome.
 
“Of course not,” she gasped, struggling to regain her breath.
 
“So if you were to see him again, you'd simply say -” he shrugged and allowed his sentence to trail off.
 
Shaking the hair from her face, she frowned at the question. “I'd walk right up to him and say: Your Royal Pain in my Ass, my family is your family. Please take them away.” She giggled as she pictured his face darkening in anger, and those adorable ears twitching with irritation.
 
“I see,” Hojo coughed lightly to cover his laugh. With a large grin, he pointed toward the galloping figures on horseback. “Well, here's your big chance, because he is headed this way.”
 
“What!?” Kagome struggled in the dragon's iron hold. “Hojo-kun! I must hide! Let me down!”
 
“As you wish!” Closing his eyes, he commanded his dragon to release Kagome - right in the middle of a pile of hay. The massive creature snorted and landed lightly to the right of Hojo just as the prince and his captain brought their horses to a halt before him.
 
“I am looking for Master Toutousai,” Inuyasha said, eyeing the beast curiously. “Have you seen him?”
 
“M-M-Master Toutousai, the sword smith of the Fire Realm!?” Hojo stammered in awe. “Oh no, Your Highness!”
 
“I see.” Inuyasha indicated toward the giant dragon still standing pensively in the meadow with a curt wave of his hand. “Is that not one of his katana creations?”
 
“No, Your Majesty,” Hojo shook his head as he called back his dragon to its sword form and sheathed it reverently, “that is my own creation.”
 
“Impressive,” Captain Miroku nodded in approval. “You should meet him soon and…compare katana.”
 
Rolling his eyes at the captain's crude sense of humor, Inuyasha grasped the reins and prepared to ride away. A gentle breeze ruffled his hair and instantly, his body went rigid with anticipation.
 
Hojo's smile was wiped from his features as Inuyasha dismounted quickly, grasping the young man by his shirt front and hauling him to face level.
 
“What is that scent you carry upon your clothes, you bastard?” Inuyasha growled possessively as he detected that wonderful and elusive aroma on an unknown male. Had he touched her? He would rip the boy in half if any harm had come to his fiery wench! “Whom does that scent belong to?”
 
“I-I don't understand!?” Hojo squeaked in alarm, cowering at the sight of the prince's feral expression.
 
“Your Highness, please!” Miroku sighed as he leapt from his own horse and tugged on the prince's arm. Seeming to come to his senses, the prince shook his head and lowered the sword smith apprentice to the ground. “Our apologizes young man, but the prince gets like this whenever he…catches a certain scent. Perhaps you could tell us whom you've come in contact with today?”
 
“Oh,” Hojo tapped his chin thoughtfully as he rapidly debated whether or not to help Kagome along. If he kept quiet, he would avoid Kagome's frightening wrath. If he spoke up, however… “There was my mother, a servant, another apprentice, Lady Higurashi, my -”
 
“You know her?” Inuyasha shouted hopefully, shaking Hojo more harshly then he intended. “Please, I must find her! Where is she staying?”
 
Kagome bit her lip in horror as she listened to the conversation. No no no! she silently screamed at him from her head. Hojo-kun, you can't do this to me! Keep that big mouth of yours shut!
 
“I believe, Your Highness, that she is staying with her cousins.” Coming to a final decision, Hojo lifted his head. These two would never have a chance without a little help. “The Lady Tsubaki and her two daughters.”
 
Kagome released a low groan that was lost upon Inuyasha as his heart swelled with both hope and dismay. “That does present a problem,” he grumbled as he crossed his arms. From the haystack behind him a soft rustle could be heard as Kagome valiantly tried to kill Hojo with the daggers from her eyes.
 
“But I do know, Your Majesty, that she is there now,” he raised his voice in just the slightest way, “alone…by herself - at this very moment.”
 
Inuyasha instantly brightened as he leapt upon his horse and gathered the reins. “Excellent!” he hissed as he turned his mount toward Lady Tsubaki's estate. Looking over his shoulder, he shot Hojo with a look of gratitude. “By the way, impressive katana.” And with that, he and his captain swiftly rode away.
 
“Hojo-kun, you horrible little snipe!” Kagome screeched as she emerged from beneath the rough straw. “How could you have done that to me?”
 
“Did you hear him Kagome!?” Hojo beamed proudly. “Prince Inuyasha is an acquaintance of Master Toutousai himself and yet he was impressed by my katana!” Noticing her furious expression, he shrugged his shoulders in an apology. “Come now Kagome, you should have seen his face! He's been looking for you.”
 
“And now he will find me!” she groaned, picking straw from her long, glossy hair. “What am I going to do?”
 
Broadening his smile, Hojo shrugged once more and pointed toward the manor. “I suggest you run,” he chuckled, watching in satisfaction as her face sudden resembled the prince's wistful expression. Without another word, Kagome raced toward the shortcut that would take her to her home.
 
Leaping over trees and roots, her heart pounded from both the speed of her flight and the anticipation of seeing the handsome young prince once more. She had nearly swooned at the tender tone His Majesty's voice had taken when he had asked about her. Though she was still a bit cross with Hojo for complicating her predicament, she was also grateful to him for giving her this tiny nudge. Racing through the gardens and up the stone steps, she threw open the side door, shouting as she entered: “Kaede-sama! Please! Quickly!
 
A short distance away, Inuyasha urged his mount to go faster and faster still, pushing the horse to unfair limits as he raced toward the one part of his kingdom he had avoided at all costs. What a clever place for her to hide! Naturally, he would not have ventured anywhere near here as he could not tolerate the Lady Tsubaki's foul disposition or that of her horrible daughter.
 
Something fluttered anxiously in his chest as the stones of the entrance gate plunged into view and he found himself slowing his horse to smooth back his wind-blown hair and flatten the wrinkles on his silky riding garb. Inuyasha had always found the idea of love at first sight, or falling head over heels for someone ridiculous and demeaning. However, it was the only explanation he had for what he was feeling at the moment, as he could hardly contain his excitement at the mere prospect of gazing into her dark eyes or brushing away a lock of her fragrant hair.
 
Shaking his head and chastising himself for being a sentimental fool, he regained his composure and dismounted, determined to be brash and cold at first in punishment for disappearing on him not once; but twice!
 
All thoughts of masculine bravado waned as the door to the manor was pushed open, and the most beautiful woman he had ever seen gracefully crossed the threshold. It was her! After searching fruitlessly and with much frustration, he knew it was all worth it as she was finally before him, just within arm's reach.
 
“Your Majesty!” She chimed softly, gracing him with a small curtsy. “What an unexpected surprise!”
 
“Lady Higurashi,” he found himself stammering as insecurely as a young boy in the presence of his first infatuation. So much for being cold and hard. She had melted his heart with one look and one smile. “You…I…”
 
She giggled softly as she studied his blushing cheeks. “Why, Your Highness,” she teased coyly, “since when are you so speechless?”
 
“Since you disappeared on me, wench, and I haven't been able to find you anywhere!” he growled, before he had a chance to consider his words.
 
Kagome blushed deeply as she lowered her eyes. She had no idea he had been searching for her so desperately. Sympathetic toward his obvious discomfort, Kagome smiled and attempted to change the subject. “Do you not attend church, Your Highness?” she asked, lifting her gaze to meet his.
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha scoffed, shrugging softly. “I could ask you the same thing.”
 
“Well I'm afraid the answer would be obvious,” she teased lightly. “I find my faith is best served away from the façade of the compassion and philanthropic views of the hypocritical crowd.” A small frown painted her face. “Many nobles do not attend church to worship any higher deity. It has become just another place to socialize, gossip, and create scandal.”
 
Inuyasha grinned as his own opinions of the religious facets in the kingdom were echoed. “I agree,” he smiled as his ears twitched at the sound of Miroku's arrival with his carriage. “Which is precisely why I am bound for the temple just on the outskirts of the southern forest. The Shinto houshi and miko of the Kyoto shrine have an extensive library.” He glanced at her shyly as hope and uncertainty flooded through his eyes. “I-I thought that since you are so fond of reading that…perhaps you would join me?”
 
Warmth and affection rose in Kagome's heart as she watched the young prince shift nervously in his breeches. How much courage had it taken to come here and make such a request? “It is not fair, Your Majesty,” she smiled shyly. “You know my greatest of weaknesses, but I have yet to learn yours.”
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha snorted, crossing his arms. “I should think it was quite obvious by now, wench.” His eyes widened as the words escaped him. Damn it! He hadn't meant to say that out loud! Everything about this woman threw him off guard.
 
Kagome's breath caught in her throat as his meaning washed over her like a soothing summer's breeze. An eternity later found her in the same spot as her heart pounded furiously to the point she was fearful it might burst. “Your Majesty,” she stammered, trying to slow her raging pulse.
 
“No,” the prince waved his hand in dismissal before looking over his shoulder. “Captain Miroku,” he said firmly. “I shall not be needing my horse or your services for the remainder of the day.”
 
The captain was unable to hide his surprise as he nodded and took up the reins on his own horse. Urging his mount forward, he held the stallion at a snail's pace so that he could eavesdrop just a bit longer.
 
Ignoring his lecherous and nosy companion, Inuyasha turned back toward Lady Higurashi and held out a clawed hand invitingly. “Today I am not the Crown Prince of Youkai. I am not royalty. I am not even a nobleman.” His eyes were wide and full of an emotion not quite contained behind the golden window of his gaze. “Today I am simply…Inuyasha.”
 
“But, Your Highness -” Kagome began to protest.
 
“Megumi,” the prince interrupted sternly though he granted her a small smile. “Please call me Inuyasha.”
 
Her heart raced as she stared at his clawed fingers with trepidation. She should run; turn, flee into the house, and hide somewhere he wouldn't find her. Everything about this was wrong, and, the more she tried to distance herself from him, the harder she fell. To take his hand would be pushing her further into madness, but one look at his hopeful gaze quashed all of her doubt. It was a dangerous path, but it was one that she would venture without a second thought.
 
“As you wish,” she returned his gaze as she gingerly took his hand, “Inuyasha.”