InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Ever After ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N:  Hello again and sorry for the delay.  To clear a few things up, I am a little ashamed to admit that I really didn't put a lot of thought into this story when I first typed it up.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really trying to make it enjoyable and all that jazz, I just didn't really sweat the major details, such as location, dates, places, etc.  In my mind, this story takes place in Japan, but when characters mention places in France, that is just taken out of the movie.  For instant, Tsubaki's reference to `Christmas in Paris', was just to show that when Kikyou becomes queen, they will have the means to travel.
I know it is my job to paint the complete picture, but I find it a little more entertaining if some things are left to reader interpretation and imagination.  If you want to picture the characters in flowing kimonos with beautiful paper fans, then go right ahead.  There is nothing to suggest otherwise.  To another reviewer, Inuyasha believes Kagome's name is Megumi because that is the name she gave him in an earlier chapter.  If you haven't seen the movie Ever After, I would definitely recommend it!  You won't be disappointed.
One last thing before I unleash the next chapter, I apologize in advance for any technical errors.  My beta is busy starting a wonderful business and I don't wish to monopolize any of her time right now.  That wasn't to make you feel guilty Cat, I just really want you to have less stress in your hectic life, especially right now.  Also, when I originally wrote this story, it was done in present tense.  Since I've received many complaints about that in the past, I rewrote it to past tense.  I'm sure there are places where I missed a verb or slipped up slightly.  Thanks to you to readers for putting up with my many idiosyncrasies and to catbaker, wbaker, and Allie for your unending and greatly appreciated support.
* * *
 
Chapter Five
 
It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do.
 
- John Baptiste Moliére
 
* * *
 
The sharp toll of the church bells silenced the murmured conversations of the gathered crowd as the doors to the cathedral opened and nobles poured through to take their various seats within its walls. As soon as the impressive throng moved to enter the church, the homeless and poor appeared at the bottom of the stairs, hoping to catch a noble in an extremely generous mood as they pleaded and begged for handouts.
 
Lady Tsubaki sighed as she tossed aside her leather-bound bible and tapped her fingers impatiently, waiting for the incompetent old man to open the carriage. With a huff of indignation, she flung open the door herself and grasped the startled driver's hand as he stumbled forward to assist her.
 
“Mother!” Sango called to Tsubaki's retreating form from within the coach. “You forgot your bible!”
 
Shaking her head, Tsubaki ignored her and smoothed the tiny wrinkles from her gown. Satisfied that her appearance was as flawless as ever, she smiled softly as her lovely elder daughter gracefully emerged from the carriage and took her place at her side.
 
“Really, Sango, it isn't as if she'll even need it.” Kikyou's criticizing and cold voice cut harshly through the morning air as she stared down her nose at her younger sister. “Who comes to church to worship anymore?”
 
Blinking her burning eyes, Sango sighed and carefully exited the carriage. “I do,” she murmured quietly, lowering her head and following after her family.
 
“My Lady! My Lady!”
 
Tsubaki turned and cringed at the pleased-looking jester that bounded her way. Swallowing her disgust and planting the most convincing smile upon her features, she regarded the toad with false joy as he skid to a stop before her, panting for breath. “Lady Tsubaki,” Jaken gasped noisily, studying his surrounding for any signs of watchful eyes. “I regret to inform you that Prince Inuyasha left early this morning and no one knows where he disappeared to.”
 
“I see,” she answered with a frown.
 
Panicking at the sight of his Lady's crestfallen face, he nearly swooned with the knowledge that soon, she would gaze upon him in complete adoration. He fidgeted nervously as he thought of the best way to present his gift. “However,” he squeaked as he pulled a tightly wrapped bundle from within his belt, “I've brought you something that is guaranteed to brighten your day!” Passing the object to Tsubaki, the toad leaned forward to lightly whisper its contents into her ear.
 
Her eyes widened in both disbelief and appreciation as Jaken pulled away with a look of utter glee. Lifting her hand, she brushed her fingers gently along his temple, tracing his features down to his trembling lips. “Oh, you vicious, vicious man,” she purred, tweaking his beak and winking seductively. Jaken whimpered as she pulled away and stepped toward the church, leaving behind the pleased toad jester and her two, dumbstruck daughters.
 
“Mother?” Kikyou questioned as she followed her through the doors.
 
Shaking her head, Tsubaki securely tucked the object into her bodice. I must be careful, she thought as she took her seat. This newest opportunity can be either very prosperous or horribly dangerous.
* * *
 
The shrine was only a few hours ride from Lady Tsubaki's estate, however, during the entire time, Inuyasha found himself unable to make even the simplest of conversations. He was far too busy intently studying the strange young woman as she gazed out the window of the carriage and pointed out various wildlife and plants to his unaccustomed view. Though he was normally annoyed by constant chatter, Higurashi's voice seemed to put him in a sort of trance. He discovered that he immensely enjoyed listening to every word she deemed worthy to speak.
 
“Look!” She pressed her face to the glass. “Isn't it beautiful?”
 
It certainly is, he thought with a small shake of his head. He had always thought himself a man of the world, and, though he had never truly explored the world, he had served in wars and battles, did charity, and pursued many hobbies. Each minute with Higurashi, however, was akin to being born once more. He had never before met anyone who took such joy in the most simple and unassuming things. Through her, he saw everything in a new and refreshing way, allowing him to appreciate all he had ever known in an entirely different perspective.
 
However joyous the ride to the shrine had been, it was nothing compared to her reaction to the location itself. As soon as her eyes found the rows and rows of books filling rooms, halls, and even the monstrous stairwell, she cried out in elation and threw herself into his welcoming arms.
 
“Oh, Your Highness, thank you so very much!”
 
“Inuyasha,” he corrected for the hundredth time, blushing madly and rolling his eyes to hide his reaction to her sudden embrace.
 
“Of course, Inuyasha,” she nodded, hastily separating herself with a nervous chuckle. The fleeting moment of discomfort was lost as she turned back toward the books and reverently ran her fingers over each and every title that she could reach.
 
“Do you like it?” he asked, following her excited movements with an amused grin.
 
“Like it?” Kagome giggled happily as though she were a child who had just found herself alone with a candy merchant's cart. “I can't begin to describe the feelings in my heart! I feel like I could burst!”
 
His chest puffed with pride as his smile widened. He couldn't help it. To be the one to bring so much joy to such a passionate young woman was addicting. She held nothing back and he knew he would never grow weary of watching the kaleidoscope of emotions that she could produce from a single thought. “Please, Megumi,” he urged. “Pick one.”
 
“One?” she gushed, staring adoringly at each and every book within her sight. “I could no sooner choose a favorite star in the heavens!”
 
Inuyasha chuckled softly, watching with amazement at the many emotions that ran rampant across her lovely features. “What is it about this that touches you so?”
 
Kagome paused as she pondered the question. Sighing softly, she shrugged and placed a hand over her heart. “I suppose it is because I never knew my mother. She died in childbirth.”
 
Instantly, Inuyasha felt shame wash over him. “Megumi, I-”
 
“You don't have to apologize,” she said with a smile. “Though I wish I knew my mother, my father more than made up for her absence in my life. As far back as I can remember, he would stay up late at night, reading to me.” She blinked away the tears threatening to form at the memories of a man lost so long ago. “He was addicted to the written word and I would fall asleep at night listening to the gentle timbre of his voice.”
 
Inuyasha panicked at the faint scent of saline he detected from her trembling form. However, her wistful expression and the adoration in her tone, told him that though she was close to tears, the memories were ones she loved and cherished. “What sort of books?” he asked, careful to watch for any shift in her mood.
 
“Oh, anything really: science, philosophy, poetry…” She allowed her sentence to trail away as she slowly turned and approached the balcony. Her heart ached at the memory of her father's death, and, soon, very real tears began to trickle down her flushed cheeks. Chuckling with embarrassment, she quickly brushed them away and leaned against the railing, staring down at the endless spiral of books, scrolls and parchment. “I suppose it all reminds me of him as he died when I was only eight years old. `Utopia' was the last book he brought home for me.”
 
Inuyasha wanted nothing more than to take her into his arms and soothe away her sadness with a gentle caress. It was pure torture to watch her suffer before him while he was held back by propriety. Though frustrated, he unclenched his fists, leaned against the railing and managed a small smile. “Keh,” he said softly, “that explains why you quote it.”
 
Nodding, Kagome lowered her head. “I loved him so much - more than anything else in this world.” Lifting her gaze, she graced him with a sad smile. “I would rather hear his voice again than any other sound in the heavens.”
 
For several moments, Inuyasha could only stare as everything within her soul was suddenly displayed through the casement of her dark eyes. There was nothing hidden from his view; nothing that stood between him and everything that made up this beautiful young woman. She held nothing back, but gave herself completely. He had never known a person to be so honest. The full magnitude of his attraction to her hit him with the force of a blow, and he nearly doubled over with the weight of his own emotions. Lady Higurashi's heart was immense and pure. Was he ready to take responsibility for it? Was he ready to be trusted with it? Shaken, he drew a ragged breath, turned and made his way slowly down the winding staircase.
 
“Is something wrong?” Kagome's tone was soft, but it still carried both her confusion and concern.
 
Hearing her light footsteps behind him, Inuyasha paused on the large staircase and turned to meet her gaze. He was scared. Never before had he felt so strongly, so quickly for anyone. In just a short amount of time, Lady Higurashi had managed to slip behind the defensive walls that others took years to penetrate. The moment he realized that his curiosity and affection for this strange woman had turned to love, his instincts had screamed at him to tuck tail and run away. He struggled to put an honest answer before her without sounding foolish. After all, she deserved nothing less than the raw truth.
 
“Sire?”
 
“In all my years of study, not one tutor ever demonstrated the passion that you have shown me in the last few days.” Shifting silently through his racing thoughts, he shook his head and attempted to continue his explanation. “Yet, you have more conviction in a single memory than I have in my entire being.”
 
Biting her lower lip nervously, Kagome advanced another step down toward him. “I-I don't understand.”
 
“My past has taught me to apply caution to every situation, yet with you…” Unable to finish the thought, he sighed in defeat. How could he explain when he hardly understood himself? Ashamed, he turned and continued down the stairs. She hesitated only a few seconds before she followed.
 
Kagome's eyes watered yet again from the raw emotions she had witnessed upon his usually guarded exterior. She couldn't bare the thought that she had said something to offend him. Descending the stairs, she paused at the foot of landing and studied his stiff composure. Out of habit, she extended a trembling hand to offer comfort and laid it gently upon his rigid back. At his sharp intake of breath, she stumbled back a step and dropped her arm. “Your Highness,” she whimpered softly, “if there was anything that I have said or done to upset you -”
 
Instantly, he whirled around and captured her face in his hands. “Megumi, please,” he whispered, silencing her voice with his thumbs applying gentle pressure on her lips. “Don't apologize for anything, you silly wench. It wasn't you in the least.”
 
Kagome shivered at the feeling of his hands upon her face, and they both blushed as they realized the position they had put themselves in. Moving his claws away from the silky texture of her mouth, he couldn't help himself from trailing those same digits across her flawless skin, gently wiping away the evidence of her tears. Resisting the overwhelming urge to kiss her, Inuyasha removed his hands and allowed them to fall limply at his side.
 
She held her breath at his tender caress, fighting back even more tears as her heart and conscience waged a terrible battle within her. Kami help her, she was falling in love with this impetuous, yet ruggedly handsome prince. What was she going to do now? Somewhere along the way, she had gotten in over her head, and, now that she wanted to reveal the truth of who she really was, it had grown too late. Or had it?
 
Damn, they both thought with a blush as they turned away from one another, it is going to be a long ride home.
 
* * *
 
The crowd of beautifully dressed nobles spilled through the cathedral doors as the end of the service was announced by the ringing of twin bells, each lifting its distinctive voice to the heavens. Tsubaki watched intently as the Royal Family loaded into their carriage, careful to keep her motives from announcing themselves through her actions or expression. Just as the queen leaned forward to grace the crowd with a final wave, she pressed the secretive item into Kikyou's hand and gave her a sharp nudge.
 
“It's now or never Kikyou,” she whispered urgently. “Make haste.”
 
Nervous, Kikyou swallowed the knot of trepidation and took a shaky step forward. While she was usually a willing participant in whatever scheme her mother came up with, this one was quite different. Biting her lip, she tightly clutched the bauble that could very well seal her fate and cautiously approached the carriage. “Forgive me, Your Majesty,” she said breathlessly. Curtsying as deeply as she could without falling over, she held out the item on a trembling hand. “You seemed to have dropped this on your way out.”
 
“Oh!” Rin uttered softly as she plucked her grandmother's ruby necklace from Kikyou's possession. “Why, I do not even remember putting it on! Thank you!”
 
Rising slowly, Kikyou painted a bright smile upon her face and nodded to the queen. Her expression nearly fell as she noticed the king's intense eyes upon her. “Your Grace,” she said reverently.
 
Sesshoumaru could sense both deceit and fear in the young woman's scent though her expression did nothing to betray her intentions. Moving his gaze from the girl to his mate, he concluded that whatever was going on was not worth the wasted effort of any further thought. Filing away his suspicions for later observation, he nodded sharply and relaxed against the plush interior of the carriage.
 
“It is a rare person who would return such a valuable and priceless keepsake,” Rin continued to gush, clutching the jewel tightly to her chest.
 
“You are too kind, Majesty,” Kikyou purred. Having come to the decision that she was pushing her luck, she bowed once more and slowly backed away from the carriage.
 
“How wonderful,” Rin sighed happily. Pocketing the necklace, she turned to face her advisors. “What was that honorable young woman's name? Do any of you know?”
 
Sesshoumaru's attention was captured once more, as, of all the occupants in the carriage, the most unlikely of them all spoke up. “Kikyou, Your Highness,” Jaken answered quickly. “Kikyou-Tsubaki of the House of Tenpi.”
 
Unaware of her husband's slight frown, Rin turned in her seat and waved happily at the retreating young woman. “Oh, thank you, Kikyou,” she called. “You and I shall have tea tomorrow in the private gardens at noon. Please bring your mother!”
 
“As you wish, Your Highness,” Kikyou crooned, barely able to contain her joy. It was rumored that the mighty Sesshoumaru-sama was able to sense the thoughts of others, and that he could even smell a lie. Perhaps I am better at concealing my true feelings than I thought, she mused silent. Or perhaps the king is not as intelligent as everyone claims.
 
It took all of Tsubaki's willpower to maintain her façade as Kikyou came and stood at her side. She flashed a brilliant smile to the queen and watched as the coach pulled from view, entering the far castle gates. Once safe, Tsubaki cast aside her mask and clutched her daughter close with a haughty laugh. “It is almost done!” she whispered furiously in Kikyou's ear. “By the end of next week, my darling Kikyou, you will be the next queen of the youkai!”
 
Flushed with excitement and giggling madly, the two women joined Sango in their carriage and instructed Jii-chan to take them home as quickly as possible. There was so much to plan!
 
Sango watched the two with a growing sense of disgust. She couldn't believe how low they had stooped to gain an audience with the queen herself. Sighing, she tuned out their excited chatter, relaxed against the backrest, and quietly watched the landscape pass. Their mother hadn't always been so devious. When their father had been around, Tsubaki had been a lovely and kind-hearted woman. After he had abandoned his family, she turned cold and deceitful. It became her life's goal to regain the honor that she felt her husband had stolen from them.
 
Since she was a young child, she knew her mother preferred Kikyou's delicate beauty to that of her own athletic build. Sango had listened to thousands of hours of her mother plotting and planning a way to bring honor to their family through the profound and prosperous marriage of Kikyou. In a way, she almost felt sorry for her elder sister. From a young age, Kikyou had been forced to be perfect, not only in appearance, but in manner as well. It had been unfair and tremendous pressure to place upon a child, and, no doubt, the cause of her sister's horrible and corrupted nature.
 
“Now let's not get too confident,” Tsubaki said as the familiar stone pillars came into view. Turning her attention to Sango, she regarded her younger daughter curiously. “The prince wasn't in church today and we need to know why.”
 
Sango shrugged, fidgeting uncomfortably under her mother's scrutiny. “Are you asking me?”
 
“I do not appreciate your jealous tone,” Tsubaki answered sharply. “There is no need to envy your sister.”
 
Scoffing slightly, Sango shook her head. “I'm not jealous! I -”
 
“Don't be daft, Sango.” Kikyou interrupted, sniffing snootily as she tossed her long hair over her shoulder. “The queen doesn't even know you exist. Naturally, I would be the obvious choice for the prince. While I think you are pretty, dear sister, you don't quite have the regal appearance that is required of the court.”
 
Burning with humiliation, Sango clenched her teeth and struggled to control her temper. “I know that I am not -”
 
“I'm only trying to save you from disgrace,” Kikyou continued as if she hadn't heard Sango at all. “I couldn't bear the thought of my sister looking like a fool in her attempt to seduce the prince. For your sake, Sango, I bear that burden alone.”
 
Clicking her tongue, Tsubaki chided the younger sister softly, “Now, now Sango dear, what Kikyou does, she does for all of us.” She smiled at her eldest daughter brightly before turning her gaze back to Sango. “And since you are unable to attract a husband as fine as Kikyou's, it should be your joy to assist your sister in any way you can.”
 
The carriage stopped with a jolt, and, in her haste to escape the cruel words of her family, Sango flung open the door and nearly leapt from the carriage. “Lovely,” she scowled angrily. “Why don't you just stuff me in a peasant's dress and claim I'm a servant like you did Kagome?” Huffing with indignation, she turned from her family and disappeared into the manor.
 
Stepping from the carriage, Tsubaki looked around as though she hadn't heard a word Sango had said. “Where is that girl?” she asked, dismissing Jii-chan with a sharp wave of her hand.
 
Shrugging, Kikyou entered the manor and commanded a servant to help her remove her church attire. Tsubaki watched as her daughter disappeared, finally noticing Kaede's nervous fidgeting. “Yes?” she snipped irritably.
 
“Pardon me, my lady,” Kaede muttered softly as she held open the door, “but that gilded mirror in your bedchamber…did you move it?”
 
“Of course not,” Tsubaki snapped sternly. “Why?”
 
Lowering her head, Kaede prepared for her lady's wrath. “It too is missing.”
 
“Well then it too shall come out of your pay!” Tsubaki hissed as she turned on her heel and entered the manor.
 
I'd better stop telling her when things go missing, Kaede mused as she shut the heavy wooden doors. Or pretty soon, I'll be paying her to work.
 
* * *
 
“I can't believe this,” the prince growled angrily as he tried to catch a familiar scent in the wind. “This is my country. You'd think I'd know my way around!”
 
“I guess it's true that men never ask for directions,” Kagome giggled as she searched the horizon and spotted the billowing flags of the courtyard through the tops of the trees. “Ah!” Clutching the thick branch beneath her, she pointed to the east. “It's over there! Back that way!”
 
His scowl deepened as he shielded his eyes and stared into the distance. It had been embarrassing enough when his carriage had broken an axle, but to have forgotten the way to his own castle was simply humiliating. Lady Higurashi had added insult to his injury when she refused to allow him to climb up a steep rock face in order to obtain a better view. “And I can't believe that I'm down here while you're up there!” His eyes dropped to discarded dress at his feet, his face flaming with both anger and shame. “In your undergarments, no less, wench!”
 
Staring down at the grumbling prince, Kagome released a knowing sigh and shrugged lightly. “I couldn't very well climb up here in that gown, now could I?” she asked sweetly, hoping to placate him with a sly smile. “Besides, I couldn't defend myself if you were in the trees and something attacked from the forest floor.”
 
Feeling a bit better about the situation, Inuyasha crossed his arms and grumbled, “I suppose.”
 
“Not only that,” she giggled, unable to resist teasing him a bit, “you might have fallen and broken your royal neck, and then where would we be?”
 
In response to her gentle banter, Inuyasha snapped his fangs playfully. “You swim alone, climb rocks, and rescue servants,” he said with wonder, shaking his head in disbelief. “Is there anything you don't do?”
Kagome's smile faded as she glanced down at the honest expression upon the hanyou prince's face. Yes there is, she thought sadly, blinking back her sudden tears. Unfortunately, I don't tell the truth.
 
“Is something wrong, Megumi?” Inuyasha called. The faintest wisp of sorrow had tinged the air, and he soon became overwhelmed with concern that she had somehow injured herself. At the scent of unshed tears, he nearly leapt into the trees after her. “Are you hurt?”
 
“No,” she sighed. “Turn around, I'm coming down.”
 
Grinning, Inuyasha turned. He barely saw the fist before it landed heavily upon his jaw, knocking him painfully to the ground. Leaping to his feet, he drew his katana and glanced around the clearing with a growl. “You again,” he snarled, staring daggers at the ookami that had taken a fall into the river with him just a few days before.
 
The youkai growled in response as he circled the hanyou prince and drew a katana of his own. The other ookami moved to a distance, allowing the two men space to fight. “You die now,” the youkai taunted, eliciting cheers from his fellow wolves.
 
Electrified at the prospect of a battle, Inuyasha briefly glanced up into the trees before turning his attention back to his prey. “Stay up there, Megumi!” he shouted, pulling his lips over his fangs. “The clearing stinks of filth at the moment.”
 
Kagome stiffened as the clang of metal rang through the valley floor. Glancing over her shoulder, she gasped in horror at the sight of Inuyasha locking blades with an ookami youkai just below her. Though she knew that she should probably stay out of sight, she couldn't help the overwhelming need to assist the valiant prince.
 
Another wolf, tall and more refined than the rest of his men, stepped forward and lifted Kagome's discarded dress with the tip of his katana. “My mate thanks you for the fine garment,” he called merrily, staring appreciatively at the indecently dressed young woman in the trees.
 
“You will return my dress, Sir,” she called as she snagged another branch and lowered herself closer to the ground.
 
The ookami locked in battle with Inuyasha rushed forward with his katana leveled at the hanyou's heart, simultaneously pulling a dagger from his belt. Deflecting the katana with his own and twisting to the side, Inuyasha barely escaped the sharp blade as it sliced through the air by his cheek and glanced off the rocks beside his head. In that brief moment of hesitation, the ookami dove for the prince, driving him back against the boulders and locking their blades tightly.
 
Deeply absorbed in the battle, the wolf that held the gown upon his katana, failed to notice Kagome as she positioned herself for an attack directly above him. Without warning, she leapt upon his back and crushed him to the ground beneath her. As quickly as she could, she rolled to the side and seized his weapon, scrambling to feet in time to see a large ookami charging toward her. She crossed blades with the furious youkai and managed to cut a stripe down his muscled thigh before he knocked the pilfered katana from her hand. Howling with pain, he and another ookami pounced upon her petite frame, and, only after having received a good number of kicks and bites, were finally able to subdue their captive.
 
Immobile against the rock face with his katana pinned, Inuyasha shifted to the side, dropped his weapon, and delivered a massive punch to the ookami's jaw, knocking him unconscious. Grinning, the prince flexed his tender knuckles, retrieved his weapon, and placed it carefully back in his sheathe. His expression darkened as his eyes fell upon Lady Higurashi, held captive with a wicked blade pressed tightly against her throat. “Let her go, you cowardly bastards,” he snarled ferociously, his blood boiling at the sight of her in danger. “Your fight is with me! She has nothing to do with this!”
 
The wolf leader glanced longingly at the beautiful girl before him. Rubbing his chin, he couldn't prevent his imagination from conjuring all the different ways he could enjoy the fiery maiden. “She's very pretty,” he said suggestively.
 
Inuyasha clenched his fists in fury at the thought of Higurashi in the hands of the filthy youkai. “And you call yourselves honorable,” he snapped bitterly. “Isn't that what you are constantly shouting from the depth of our dungeons?”
 
“You would know, Your Highness, since you and your brother seem to delight in putting us there,” the ookami growled angrily. Regaining his composure, the youkai sighed and nodded his head. “However, you speak the truth. I, Kouga of the Ookami Clan, am an honorable man and do not need to damage a beautiful woman to further my agenda.” After motioning to his men to release her, he turned his attention back to the prince. “You, dear prince, will be prisoner enough for a handsome ransom.”
 
Finally free, Kagome turned to her captors and delivered a vicious punch to both of their mid-sections. The two wolves stumbled back in surprise, but their shock was nothing compared to Kouga's as she focused her fury upon him. “I demand that you return my things at once!” she snapped, advancing upon the ookami leader with clenched fists. “And since you insist on depriving me of my escort, I demand a horse as well.”
 
Completely dumbfounded, Inuyasha could do nothing but gape at the young woman as she withered the ookami with nothing more than a glower. Just as astonished, the leader regarded the slight girl with a mixture of curiosity and amusement. By kami, the balls on this one! “My lady,” Kouga taunted, bowing in mock respect. “You may have anything currently in my possession that you can carry.”
 
She glanced quickly to Inuyasha who turned his head away in disgust. It was all too obvious which terrible scenario was running through the prince's mind. She could only hope that he would forgive her for what she was about to do. “I'm sorry, Inuyasha,” she whispered, knowing her words would not be lost to his acute hearing. Turning back toward the sneering wolf, she crossed her arms and allowed her suspicion to show through her guarded expression. “May I have your word on that, Sir?”
 
Inuyasha couldn't help the sudden feeling of immense betrayal that settled over his heart. To make matters worse, she had audacity to actually apologize to him for stabbing him in the back. After everything he had thought and felt, it seemed she really was only in it for herself and whatever she could do to gain more wealth or power. He had thought - no, prayed - that she was different from the rest of the vultures that called themselves noblewomen. This new realization, however, was akin to a knife in the heart, and he nearly crumbled under the weight of her treachery. How could she trade him for some trinket that had most likely been stolen by these ookami thieves to begin with?
 
Searching her face for any deception and finding none, the wolf nodded and made a wide, sweeping gesture around the glade. “On my honor as an ookami and youkai: anything you can carry.”
 
Clenching her jaw in determination, Kagome stood tall and strode purposely past the ookami leader. She paused before Inuyasha, her eyes softening as he scowled and turned his head away. It didn't take much to see that he had completely misunderstood her intentions and was deeply hurt by her perceived betrayal. “I'm sorry,” she repeated with a sigh.
 
“Keh,” he snarled, fisting his claws, “just do what you have to do, Lady Higurashi, and kindly leave my sight.”
 
“Fine,” she shot back.
 
To his utter shock, she stepped forward and grasped his left arm, throwing it over her shoulder. Positioning herself beneath his ribs, she pushed against him with all her strength. With a firm grip upon his thigh and a fierce growl of exertion, she managed to lift him several inches from the ground. Panting heavily, Kagome nodded politely to the stunned ookami before taking a stumbling step forward with the hanyou prince settled firmly upon her back.
 
The ookami clan broke out into fits of howling laughter at the sight of such a tiny noblewoman, clad only in her undergarment, carrying the scowling and humiliated prince out of the forest. Unable to contain his amusement any longer, Kouga threw back his head and released a hearty chortle as tears of mirth streamed from his eyes. Where in all the seven hells had this woman been when he had been looking for a mate? “Wait!” he shouted through gales of gasping laughter as he watched the young woman valiantly make her way out of the clearing. “Please! Come back! I'll give you a damn horse!”
 
Going limp with relief, Kagome collapsed and grunted as the prince landed heavily on top of her. “I suppose this was what you were apologizing for in advance?” Inuyasha growled, not bothering to shift his weight or hide his irritation.
 
“It was all I could think to do,” she confessed, still gasping for air. “I knew it would hurt your pride.”
 
Nearly doubled over with laughter, Kouga approached the red-faced and mortified hanyou as he helped the exhausted girl to her feet. “Please,” he chuckled, rubbing his eyes. “It would honor me greatly if you would join us in a feast tonight.”
 
Growling softly at the ookami's audacity, Inuyasha was shocked when Higurashi smiled warmly and accepted his ridiculous invitation. “We'd be delighted!” she replied happily, and, before he could launch a protest, Inuyasha found himself firmly tugged in the direction of the clearing.
 
Nodding in satisfaction, the wolf smiled and led the couple back toward his flock, ordering the ookami to set up camp. A short time later found the clearing buzzing with activity, as several wolves played hand-carved instruments and others danced merrily in the glow of a blazing bonfire.
 
Dressed in her gown once more, Kagome's mouth watered as she caught the scent of roasting meat in the air. It had been hours since her last meager meal, and her stomach growled painfully at the thought of food. She blushed as her body rumbled once more, and Inuyasha looked in her direction. “Hungry?”
 
“Famished!” she answered, plopping to the ground and graciously accepting a cup of sake from a passing youkai. “Aren't you?”
 
Inuyasha shook his head. “Of course not,” he replied, and then blushed as his own stomach voiced its disagreement.
 
“Your belly betrays you, Sire,” she giggled. “Come and sit here with me.”
 
“It is improper for one of my stature to sit in the dirt,” he answered automatically. His blush deepened at the sound of his own pomposity. What the hell was wrong with him today?
 
Sipping her sake slowly, Kagome studied the prince over the rim of her paper cup. With a soft sigh, she shrugged. “You know,” she began thoughtfully, “in the past, I have seen a man with a mouth as foul as a sailor's under that crown of yours.” Patting the ground by her side, she graced him with a wide smile. “I thought that just for today, you wanted to be nothing more than `Inuyasha'?”
 
Ashamed at his own arrogance, he relented and carefully lowered himself to the ground. Soon after, several ookami served plates of roasted meat and fresh fruit, and Inuyasha found himself relaxing as Higurashi's gentle presence soothed his troubled mind once more. He nearly choked with laughter as he watched her devour her meal as though it were her last. “You don't have to inhale it, wench! I'm not planning on stealing your food.”
 
Snorting her amusement, Kagome leaned back against the boulder and rubbed her full belly appreciatively at the wonderful meal. The wolves may have been rogue youkai, but they sure knew how to cook! Sighing contently, she finished her sake and smiled as another ookami passed and filled her cup. “I haven't had such wonderful food in a long time,” she commented absently, taking a small sip of the sake.
 
Inuyasha studied the young girl intently, picking his gleaming fangs with the sharp end of a bone. What exactly did she mean by that? Was her household cook incapable of preparing a decent meal? Her statement had confused him a bit, but he quickly brushed it aside as a result of too much sake. Sometime during the evening, she had loosened her lovely hair, and now, in the glow of the fire, she had never appeared more beautiful. “It was a good meal,” he agreed.
 
She was about to say something more when a terribly loud burp escaped her parted lips. Clapping her hands over her mouth, she stared at the stunned hanyou prince before laughing loudly. “I'm sorry!” she giggled, blushing as several nearby wolves, all of whom had overheard the very un-ladylike noise, began to cheer. “That was very rude!”
 
To her astonishment, the hanyou prince merely smiled and released a deafening belch of his own, laughing at her shocked expression. It was so refreshing to able to act natural, without the poise and grace of his royal status. How liberating it was to forget all about station and stature; to drop the polite mannerisms and falsities that had become such an intricate part of his life and just be himself. Here, he wasn't a prince, he wasn't wealthy, and there were no looming marriage contracts or overwhelming expectation. Here - now - he was just Inuyasha. While being a prince was, and always would be part of him, he was warmed that Higurashi saw the other half; the man beneath the crown.
 
“Would you like to play a game, Your Highness?” Kagome giggled, her cheeks flushed slightly from the alcohol. “It is a good way to get to know one another.”
 
Smiling, Inuyasha nodded and relieved her of her sake cup, setting it aside. “Sure, wench,” he chuckled at her exaggerated pout, “but no more sake. You obviously don't hold your liquor very well.”
 
Relenting with a huff, Kagome began to show Inuyasha the game that she and her father had played many times in the past; a game she hadn't shared with anyone since his passing. Sensing her melancholy, Inuyasha tried to show enthusiasm for the competition, hoping it would make her feel better despite whatever saddened her.
 
“The loser must reveal a small piece of information about themselves,” Kagome explained quietly. “And you must tell the truth.”
 
Nodding, Inuyasha held out his hand in anticipation, and the two began the game.
 
“Damn,” Kagome muttered as Inuyasha covered her `rock' with his `paper'. Thinking hard, she suddenly smiled. “My father married my stepmother because he was afraid I would grow up to be too much like a boy.” Kagome giggled at Inuyasha's amused expression. “He wanted her to groom me for marriage and was afraid I'd scare off prospective suitors.”
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha chuckled slightly, picturing an angry Higurashi chasing various men from her doorstep with a katana. “I think it's nice that you're different.”
 
Blushing deeply, the two continued their game and after several rounds, Kagome began to dominate the winning outcome. Laughing at the prince's frustrated scowl, Kagome counted the motions once more, producing a `rock' to break his `scissors'.
 
“This is ridiculous,” Inuyasha huffed teasingly, staring deep into her eyes. “I think you are cheating.”
 
“Reading your thoughts isn't cheating, Inuyasha,” Kagome laughed, blushing brightly as such familiarity was still hard to become accustom to. “So Japan concedes?”
 
“Never!” Inuyasha roared as he playfully grabbed her hands. “Once more, wench!”
 
Moving their hands through the actions, Kagome bit her lip to contain her laughter once more as she `scissored' Inuyasha's `paper'. “It's your turn, Majesty,” she teased, touching the tip of his nose with her finger. “And it'd better be a good one.”
 
Shivering ever-so-slightly at the contact, Inuyasha stared deep into her beautiful eyes. “I have no desire to be King,” he almost whispered. “I don't want to rule next to my brother, and I don't want the crown.”
 
She stared for a few moments, her brow wrinkling in confusion. “But think of all the wonderful things you could do,” she protested gently, “for your country and for your people.”
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha scoffed, lowering his hand to the ground, “and to be forever defined by your position - to never be seen for who you are, but what you wear on your damn head!” He looked away, not wanting to see the disappointment upon her face. “You have no idea how fucking unfair it is!”
 
To his amazement, Kagome reached forward and gently took his hand in her own. “You might be surprised,” she sighed, giving his fingers a tender squeeze.
 
“Really?” he growled, pulling his hand free from her teasing grasp.
 
Startled by the intensity of his emotions, Kagome nodded and lowered her eyes. Shame and guilt tugged on her heartstrings as she sighed with remorse. She couldn't do this anymore. It wasn't fair to Inuyasha. In the past few days, she had grown fond of the man beneath the crown. The false façade she had adopted, however, was more fitting of Kikyou or her horrible stepmother, and she could no longer stomach her own actions. She had devised this clever ruse in order to save Jii-chan. It should have ended with her success.
 
Suddenly determined to tell him exactly who she was and beg for his forgiveness, she took a deep breath and lifted her head. All remnants of her courage and bravado vanished at the sight of his sorrowful expression. Unable to cause him further anguish and hating herself for it, Kagome bit her lip and gestured around the clearing. “Take our friends here,” she said softly, choking on her own words. “A rogue youkai is rarely painted as anything else. Even if they steal in order to merely survive, they are defined as nothing more than thieves and murders. However, it is not who they are.” Her chest ached and her eyes misted as she silently prayed for Inuyasha to understand the hidden meaning in her message. “Servants are the same, Inuyasha. They are never seen as people with hopes and dreams, but as property…nothing more intelligent or important then the animals upon a farm.”
 
Lowering his own eyes, Inuyasha considered her softly spoken words. Was this not the very reason he had been captivated by her to begin with? Higurashi looked every bit the noblewoman that she was, but her mannerisms had been different. She had been unorthodox, slightly crude, and yet, refreshing. How many wonderful friends had he dismissed due to his inability to bridge the distance between their stations in life? What could he have learned from someone he had thought beneath him? What if he had found himself above the captain of the royal guard merely because of Miroku's humble past or even Master Toutousai himself? The thought was inconceivable.
 
“You have been born to privilege,” Kagome continued, shocking Inuyasha with the familiar words, “and with that comes specific obligations.” Pausing, she blushed at the prince's wide-eyed expression. Having realized what she had said, she lowered her head and chuckled sadly. “I'm sorry,” she whispered, her cheeks red with embarrassment. “I have forgotten my place, Your Majesty.”
 
“Inuyasha,” he corrected as he moved a bit closer.
 
She shook her head. “I'm afraid I've let my mouth run away with me again.” Closing her eyes, she waited sadly for his displeasure, cursing herself for having consumed too much alcohol. What was she thinking? Had she forgotten that she was in the company of the prince himself? Biting her lip, she silently chastised herself for speaking without thinking. To her surprise, she felt his gentle caress as his fingers traced the smooth skin of her cheek and slipped beneath to cup her chin. With a soft tug, he lifted her face and forced her to stare into his impossibly expressive eyes.
 
“No, Megumi,” he said breathlessly, leaning closer. Kagome shivered as the words whispered lightly over her sensitive lips. “It is your mouth that has me completely captivated.”
 
Kagome swallowed hard, her heart pounding furiously within her chest as his claws gently traced the line of her jaw and settled firmly at the base of her skull. Though she was terrified beyond belief, she couldn't help the tiny whimper of longing that escaped her slightly parted lips. She'd be lying if she didn't admit that she wanted his touch more than anything else in the world at that moment.
 
Unable to resist any longer, Inuyasha closed the distance between them and gently touched her lips. At her sharp intake of breath, he pulled back, studying her expression to gauge her reaction to his touch. To his relief, she grasped his suikan as though the thought of his departure was more than she could bear. Her eyes were wide with both disbelief and awe as she gazed intently into his own, and Inuyasha's reservations vanished quickly as the desire to kiss her once more flooded his thoughts.
 
Pressing forward, he closed his eyes and fastened his mouth firmly upon hers, teasing her trembling lips with a soft flick of his tongue. Feeling the dangerous points of his fangs against her skin, Kagome closed her eyes as well and allowed her instincts to guide her movements. Inuyasha growled in victory when he felt her release her inhibitions and respond to his advances. Her touches were soft and hesitant as first, allowing the prince to explore and taste to his satisfaction. Soon, however, her desire grew beyond her fears and she snaked a hand into his thick hair, pulling him deeper into the kiss and ravishing his lips as greedily as he had hers. Rumbling his approval deep within his chest, his other hand found purchase on her narrow waist, pulling her into his lap and pressing her lewdly against him.
 
“AH!”
 
Finally sensing their audience and both slightly out of breath, Kagome and Inuyasha parted abruptly, their faces ruddy with embarrassment at the cheers and calls of encouragement from the ookami clan. Caught in the moment and happier than he'd been in a long time, Inuyasha threw back his head and laughed heartily to the night sky. Relieved and still slightly mortified, Kagome giggled and hid her face against the chuckling hanyou's chest.
 
“As entertaining as that was,” Kouga winked, “it is getting late, and you should get the lady home.”
 
Inuyasha frowned as he tightened his hold on the woman in his arms. Had this day really come to an end so quickly? His heart sank a bit as he thought of what he was letting go. It wasn't just a woman, but a piece of himself that he had never known before. Sensing his hesitation, Kagome gently cupped his cheek and smiled when he leaned into her touch. “We really should get going,” she said softly, tracing the smooth skin with her thumb. “It is either very late or very early.”
 
“Your horse,” Kouga chuckled as he handed the reins of an ebony stallion to the hanyou prince. “I thank you for your company on this fine day.”
 
Standing with Kagome in his arms, he gently placed her on the back of the large, black beast. “You're really letting us go?” he asked hesitantly. While the ookami had proven to be more than he had previously thought, he couldn't help the lingering suspicions he held for their kind.
 
Smiling, Kouga winked at Kagome before turning his attention back to the bristling prince. “On my honor as an ookami, remember?” he answered, chuckling at Inuyasha's sudden embarrassment. “The lady is to be given anything she could carry and she also demanded a horse.”
 
Nodding, Inuyasha and Kouga shook hands before the prince mounted himself upon the horse's broad back and settled comfortably behind Kagome. He bit back a groan as she scooted back and pressed herself firmly against him, snuggling into his warmth. Encircling her smaller frame with his arms, he gathered the reins and urged the beast forward. Waving, the two rode into the night, swiftly making their way back to civilization.
 
They rode in companionable silence all the way to the manor with Kagome nestled safely in the cocoon of his embrace. Every so often, she felt his cheek rest against the crown of her head, and she couldn't help but relax against his solid form, gently stroking the arm that held her captive against him. Though he was unaccustomed to such outward displays of affection, he discovered just how addicting the power of touch could be. With every, loving stroke of her hand, he craved more.
 
“Right here, please,” she whispered as they approached the tall, stone pillars that marked the beginning of the circular drive. “I don't wish to wake anyone.”
 
Disappointed that their time was over, Inuyasha leapt from the horse and steadied the beast with a soft pat on the neck. Smiling at the beautiful girl, he gently lifted her from the saddle, allowing her to slide the length of his body as he lowered her to the ground. His heart pounded frantically as he felt her conspicuous shudder at the contact. “You saved my life, wench,” he grumbled softly, brushing an invisible wisp of hair from her porcelain cheek. “You saved me with that ridiculous display back in the woods and I never did thank you.”
 
Blushing visibly despite the poor light, Kagome graced the prince with a dazzling smile that set his blood on fire. “A girl does what she can, Sire.”
 
“Inuyasha,” he corrected. His hand gently cupped her face as he slowly traced the luscious seam of her lips.
 
“Inuyasha,” she whispered against his claw, shuddering softly at the contact. Her eyes close as the prince leaned forward.
 
Knowing he wanted so much more than these gentle caresses, Inuyasha allowed the kiss to linger for only a few moments before he breathlessly pulled away. He desired nothing more than to sink into her beautiful brown eyes forever and forget the very world, lost in her intoxicating flavor. He also knew, however, that if he didn't stop now, he wouldn't be able to at all, and she deserved for him to go about this correctly. She deserved so much more than even the crowned prince of youkai could give her, but he was fully determined to spend the rest of his life making up for all his shortcomings.
 
Kagome pulled the prince into a tight hug, rested her cheek upon the hard planes of his chest, and smiled at the pounding rhythm of his heart. He stiffened for only a second before his arms wrapped around her smaller frame, and he returned her affectionate embrace wholeheartedly. Sighing with frustration, Kagome released him and straightened her gown. She graced the prince with a final smile before turning and heading toward the manor.
 
“Megumi,” he called, his voice halting her steps. “Do you know the ruins of Kyoto?”
 
Turning to face him, she nodded. “Yes.”
 
“I go there sometimes,” he shrugged, fidgeting nervously. “Whenever I want to be alone.” Taking a deep breath, he scratched his head. “Would you meet me there tomorrow?”
 
Her joy was palpable as she grinned at the nervous prince. “I shall try,” she answered, no longer able to hide her delight at the knowledge that this wonderful man wished to see her again - her.
 
“Then I'll wait all day, wench,” he smirked as he felt something relax inside him.
 
Biting her bottom lip, Kagome stifled a girlish giggle and turned, quietly making her way through the heavy doors. The prince watched until she disappeared into the manor before he climbed atop his mount. Even then, he loitered several minutes more, unable to find the will to move from the vast estate that sheltered someone so close to his heart. Movement caught his eye, and he lifted his gaze to one of the higher windows where Higurashi waved and blew him a kiss. Grinning like a fool, he nearly shouted his happiness to the heavens as he turned his horse and swiftly rode toward the castle. He couldn't wait to see what his brother and his mate were up to at this hour…
 
Waving cheerfully at the semi-alert guards, Inuyasha nearly pranced into the palace. As ridiculous as it sounded, his newfound clarity brought a blissful lilt to his gait. Not bothering to employ his usual stealth, the prince bounded up the spiraling stairs and into his brother's forbidden bedchamber. Stepping toward the massive bed draped in heavy curtains to block the light of the impending sun, Inuyasha grinned and filled his lungs with a deep breath.
 
“Good morning!” he cried loudly, leaping back from the bed in anticipation. The normally stoic and perfectly composed taiyoukai bolted to a sitting position, snarling with surprise and unwittingly releasing his energy whip. Inuyasha laughed outright at the sight of his brother staring at him in unprecedented confusion; silver hair a chaotic mess, yukata askew and bed curtains torn to shreds.
 
“Inu…Inuyasha?” Rin asked sleepily, rubbing her eyes as she sat up slowly. “Is something wrong? It is nearly dawn!”
 
“No, Sister!” he gasped between gales of laughter. “I only wanted to share in this glorious morning with my wonderful family!”
 
Suddenly wide awake, Rin snuck a glance at her husband and almost giggled out loud at his comical expression of utter bewilderment. So it was possible to disturb the perfection and flawlessness that was the composed and mighty Sesshoumaru-sama! Staring back at her brother-in-law, she marveled at how much more handsome the hanyou was when he was not brooding or scowling.
 
“Good morning to you as well, dear brother,” she yawned, smiling in response to the prince's unfailing joy. “Barely morning, I might add. Is there something to wish to discuss with us, or can we capture a precious few more hours of slumber?”
 
“I want to build a university,” Inuyasha announced happily, grinning at their baffled expressions. “It will be a monumental achievement and will contain an extensive library where anyone can go to study, no matter their station!”
 
Stunned silent, the taiyoukai could not even find the will to be angry in relation to his puzzlement. He was furious that the hanyou had caught him off-guard - in his own bedchamber no less - but the ridiculous grin adorned upon his brother's face and the nauseating idyllic tone to his normal rough voice, was enough to leave Sesshoumaru gaping in utter amazement.
 
“Inuyasha,” Rin whispered anxiously as concern spilled across her delicate features. “Are you sure you are alright?”
 
Chuckling, Inuyasha turned to exit their room, but changed his mind and leapt back once more. “Oh!” he said, snapping his fingers sharply. “And, I want to invite the ookami to the ball!” With that, he departed; his joyful whistle echoing throughout the empty castle halls.
 
“Wow.” Rin shook her head in disbelief. “What in all the heavens just happened here?”
 
“Possessed,” Sesshoumaru yawned as he pulled his mate down beside him and buried his nose in her silky hair. “And if he is not, then I will have him murdered at a much more decent hour.”