InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Ever After ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hello again and oops! Haha. I just discovered that I made a terrible mistake in the last post. Because I am having to switch this entire story from present tense to past tense, I mistakenly forgot to add the last three pages to the last chapter. I hope it doesn't disturb the flow, but if it does, that is the reason. The first three pages of chapter six were supposed to be the last three pages of chapter five. *sighs* But hey, double bonus!! Without the new content, the last chapter had more of an upbeat, happy vibe. Plus, with the extra content, this chapter is a monstrosity! Lol. Anyway, moving on.
 
Brakken, you have a wonderful career in editing in the future if you do not do something similar now. Every time I get your review, I curse at myself for missing something else. Don't get me wrong, I love that you pay so much attention. Lol. I will just have to try in the future to be more conscious of the details. Good thing I didn't have them eating off of Styrofoam plates and using plastic silverware, eh? Haha.
 
Allie, Cathy, Kathy…lots of love for you…as always. You can all thank Kathy for the update. She requested, I delivered. Lol. But please be gentle as it is now 3:30 in the morning and I'm sure I didn't catch every error out there. It wouldn't have taken so long, but that was Cathy's fault. haha. You two are great.
 
By the way, you lovely readers, I hope you enjoy this chapter's quote. I couldn't quite contain my giggle! Have a wonderful week!
 
* * *
 
Chapter Six
 
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return; it's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
 
- Arthur C. Clarke
 
* * *
 
Kagome's slumber was abruptly interrupted with a sharp jab of a broom handle into the tender hollow of her ribs. Crying out in shock and pain, the young woman bolted to a sitting position. Accosted by both the bright morning sun and the sight of her glowering stepfamily, Kagome groaned and slumped back against her makeshift pillow of hay. This was not exactly how she wanted to start the morning after the most incredible night of her life.
 
“Are you ill?” Tsubaki asked shrilly, clutching the broom with a white-knuckled grip.
 
“Oh,” Kagome sighed as the beginning of a terrible headache bloomed behind her eyes. “Yes.”
 
“You were gone all night,” Tsubaki hissed, her dark eyes flashing with anger. “Where were you?”
 
Kagome barely covered a yawn as her tired mind struggled to come up with an acceptable excuse. Finally, too exhausted to conjure anything complex, she simply lowered her eyes and shrugged. “I-I got lost.”
 
“We don't believe you!” Kikyou replied harshly, placing her hands upon her hips and glaring down at the groggy young woman. “Mother knows you're hiding something from us! She can feel it!”
 
Gritting her teeth in pain as Kikyou's shrill tone raised the intensity level of the incessant pounding in her head, Kagome scowled slightly and rolled to her side. “Well, could your mother please tell me what it is so that I might get some more sleep?”
 
Sango instantly bit her lip to stifle her giggles at the sight of the astonished and incredulous expressions that suddenly graced the faces of her mother and sister. As much as she had always hoped in the past, Kagome was never disrespectful toward her family. To see the young woman finally take a stand made Sango secretly giddy inside, and it was difficult to hide her amusement.
 
“But…but -” Kikyou stammered as her pitch incredibly found an even higher octave then before. “What about our breakfast!?”
 
“You have two hands,” Kagome groaned, pulling the blanket over her head. Though the coarse fabric muffled her next words, her family heard them loud and clear, “Make it yourself.”
 
Within seconds, the young woman was snoring soundly, completely oblivious to the absolute shock and fury emanating from her stepmother and older stepsister. “Why that lazy, little bitch!” Kikyou shrieked, barely resisting the urge to kick the peaceful lump of servant that slept under the dirty blankets. “What are we going to do!? I'm hungry!?
 
“Sango,” Tsubaki commanded in a hard and cold voice, “go and boil some water.”
 
“Me?” the young girl squeaked in surprise. “Boil water?” Her pleasant face dropped into a scowl as she stomped from the room. “I knew it, I just knew it!” she muttered, grabbing the pail beside the door and trudging angrily in the direction of the well.
 
Several hours later, Kagome was pulled from her blissful slumber and her dreams of a handsome, hanyou price, by Kaede's harsh and desperate whisper. “Kagome!” she sobbed as she motioned toward the manor. “You must wake up!”
 
Rubbing her eyes, Kagome covered a yawn. “What is it?”
 
“You'd better go and see!” came the frantic reply.
 
Dragging her protesting body from its resting place, Kagome straightened her peasants' garb as much as she could and rushed toward the house. The doors creaked slightly as she pushed them open, and soon she was following the sounds of light chatter. Apprehension filled her heart as she made her way up the stairs to her stepmother's room. Upon entering, her eyes widened in horror at the scene that was unfolding before her. “What do you think you are doing!?” she cried out in fury at the sight of her mother's necklace perched at the base of Kikyou's slender throat.
 
“Well,” Tsubaki answered snidely, turning to frown at her stepdaughter. “Look who decided to grace us with her presence.”
 
“What is going on?” Kagome asked once more, clenching her fists against the anger rising within her heart.
 
“I am trying on my things,” her older stepsister smirked, smoothing the accompanying dress - Kagome's mother's dress - against her flat stomach. “You know, for the masque.”
 
At the young servant's enraged expression, Tsubaki's smirk widened and shrugged dismissively at her anger. “Do you honestly think that after that performance this morning, I'd let you go anywhere?”
 
“And do you honest think these games, these intrigues are going to win you a crown!?” Kagome demanded loudly, walking purposefully into the room to stand before her stepmother. “You hunt royalty like it is some sport; a prize to be won at the end of the day. It's utterly disgusting!”
 
“You're just jealous,” Kikyou scorned lightly, fingering the iridescent gem resting upon her neck.
 
“I am not jealous!” The young woman moved toward her horrible stepsister, her eyes flashing in rage. “I am furious! How dare you! These belong to my mother!”
 
“You mean they `belonged' to your mother,” the older girl mocked, pulling her lips into a vicious sneer, “but unfortunately, the poor old bitch is dead.”
 
Without any warning, Kagome reached out and ripped the jewel from Kikyou's possession while simultaneously planting a well-placed fist into the older girl's right eye. Shrieking in both shock and pain, Kikyou stumbled back against the bed where her momentum instantly sent her tumbling down the opposite side to land in an ungraceful heap of fabric and limbs upon the hard floor.
 
“I'm going to rip your hair out!” Kagome uncharacteristically screamed in rage as she advanced upon the sobbing girl who was still struggling to rise among the cumbersome yards of cloth that surrounded her. Fearing for her very life, Kikyou launched herself over the bed and raced from the room, shrieking her distress as she fled down the stairs with Kagome in hot pursuit.
 
“Mother!” Kikyou wailed, ducking as Kagome lunged for her and missed, knocking over a chair in the process. “Mother, please help me!”
 
Snarling with fury, Kagome dove for her once more, but Kikyou managed to slither through the opening of the large kitchen. Rushing into the dining room, the frantic girl found herself trapped only a table's width away from her impending doom as her stepsister stormed through the entrance. Kikyou had never before seen such anger and emotion from her normally demure stepsister and the amount of rage that the younger woman exhibited now frightened her immensely. Desperate for escape, her eyes frantically searched the room for a weapon - any weapon - she could use against the rabid servant. A whimper escaped her lips as she spotted her salvation resting upon a small table by the hearth. In one last, daring attempt, Kikyou leapt forward and closed her fingers around the well-worn book, holding it threateningly toward the flickering flames of the morning's fire.
 
In an instant, Kagome's fury turned cold with dread. “Kikyou, no!” she cried in alarm.
 
“Stay away from me or so help me kami…” Kikyou panted, thrusting the younger woman's most prized possession even further into the warmth of the hearth.
 
“No!” Kagome pleaded, tears filling her eyes as `Utopia' was suddenly placed in grave danger. “Please put it down!”
 
“Give me the necklace!” Kikyou demanded, holding out her other hand.
 
Tightening her hold, Kagome lifted a trembling hand to point toward her father's last gift to her. “Put down the book!”
 
“Give me the jewel!”
 
“Give me the book!”
 
The racket instantly drew the curiosity of the other servants, but neither girl noticed as their eyes were intently trained on the other girl's ransom.
 
“Consider carefully, Kagome,” Tsubaki spat angrily as she pushed her way through the observing servants. “What will you give up - your father's book or your mother's jewel? Though I should warn you that neither will save you from a lashing that you will never forget.”
 
Sango's eyes filled with tears at the old nanny's quiet sobs and the heartbroken expression upon Kagome's tear-streaked face. This was a nightmare, and Sango prayed with fervor to be roused from sleep at any second.
 
Switching her desperate gaze between the two remaining mementos of her long lost parents, Kagome couldn't stop the agonized whimper that fell from her lips. How was she to choose? Would she relinquish the only memento she owned from a parent she didn't remember? Or would she forever lose the last piece of her father that remained in the house? With her heart breaking into countless pieces, she shuddered and acquiesced the precious gem nestled safely in her hand. Though it hurt to part with her mother's things, she took comfort that they would not be destroyed. To her horror, however, Tsubaki snatched the necklace from her trembling fingers just as Kikyou viciously threw the book into the greedy flames.
 
No!” Kagome screamed, leaping forward to save the doomed novel. Tsubaki intercepted her before she could take another step and shoved her hard against the opposite wall. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks as she watched her father's book blacken and turn to ash before her eyes. If she thought her heart was broken before, it felt nothing like it did now as the only book left in the house, the only remaining link to the man she had loved more than life itself, was gone forever. Defeated and broken, Kagome slumped against the cold stones of the dining room wall, buried her face in her hands, and cried.
 
* * *
 
Sango sighed as she slowly made her way toward the ancient well located just outside of dilapidated hut that served as a poor excuse for servants' quarters. Setting the bowl and pitcher in her hands upon the smooth stones of the structure, she pushed up her sleeves and drew up the bucket, careful to keep every drop of water within its confines. Task complete, the young girl sighed once more before gathering her things and turning toward the decrepit building. Her eyes filled with tears as she caught the faint sounds of Kagome's sobs from within as the beaten and broken girl lay in pain upon her flimsy pallet. Steeling her courage, Sango quietly pushed open the door and nearly dropped the items in her arms at the sight that greeted her wide eyes.
 
Naked from the waist up, Kagome's lower back was a mess of torn flesh and dried blood. The thin yukata covering her buttocks and upper legs was marred with jagged lines of crimson - more evidence of the whip's cruel bite. The visible wounds oozed and released a putrid odor, and Sango soon noticed that they were unable to close due to the force of the young woman's sobs and violent shudders. “Kagome,” she choked as she closed the door behind her and lowered herself to kneel beside her injured stepsister. “I know it hurts, but you need to calm down.”
 
Biting her lip to still her nausea, Sango quickly tore an old tablecloth into long, even strips, setting them into the bowl to soak up the cold water before she laid them carefully upon Kagome's torn flesh. Cringing, Kagome released a small gasp of pain at the first contact, and Sango's heart twisted at the agonized sound. Tsubaki had been especially brutal with the whip, showing absolutely no mercy or restraint. Sango had been unable to watch as it became apparent that her mother took a strange sense of joy in the terrible beating.
 
At another small gasp of pain, Sango bit her lip to still her own, answering sob. “I'm sorry,” she whispered shakily, placing another soothing strip across a particularly deep wound. She moved to pull the blood-stiffened yukata from Kagome's body when a small whimper caused her to pause. The wounds had begun to dry, and the coarse fabric adhered to the raw and tender flesh. Wincing in sympathy, Sango gently poured water on the yukata to help numb the affected area. As it absorbed the moisture, both the fabric and wounds beneath softened enough to allow her to remove it with minimal pain. She couldn't bear to hurt her stepsister anymore than what was absolutely necessary. The poor girl had suffered enough. After what seemed like an eternity, the fabric finally yielded, and, with great tenderness, Sango peeled it away from the damaged skin, revealing the ghastly wounds beneath. Blushing at Kagome's nakedness, the older girl silently worked on her injuries, trying her best to preserve what little dignity her stepsister had left.
 
“You've really brought this upon yourself, you know,” Sango whispered as she draped another piece of cloth across a tear in Kagome's left buttock. “I mean, first with breakfast this morning and then that horrid display downstairs.”
 
For several moments, neither girl spoke a word as the soothing chill of the water penetrated Kagome's torn flesh and suppressed the fever that had begun to settle in the deeper wounds. Her stepmother had taken great care and avoided marking the smooth skin anywhere it might have been visible outside her servants' garb. On the other hand, Kagome couldn't have cared less. With a broken heart and a broken spirit, there wasn't anything else the cruel woman could have stripped from the young girl. The only thing Kagome had left to cling to was her forbidden love for a hanyou prince. A love that was based upon deception and lies; a love that could no longer be. “I don't know what's come over me,” Kagome whispered, turning her head to stare at the door.
 
Pausing in her ministrations, Sango couldn't help the small smile that lifted her lips. Releasing a soft snort of amusement, she resumed her task, laying another strip upon Kagome's torn thigh. “Of course,” she snickered lightly, “I don't think I shall ever forget the way Kikyou's feet went up over her head like that…”
 
The two girls giggled together at the memory of their eldest sister's humiliation. Wincing as her wounds pull, Kagome sighed softly and closed her eyes, grateful for Sango and this small show of kindness. Tears trickle down the older girl's cheeks as she stared at the blood that now stained her trembling hands. Swallowing hard to contain her emotions, Sango pulled the yukata over her stepsister, carefully covering her bandaged wounds.
 
“She should never have said that about your mother,” Sango said sadly, her voice thick with tears.
 
A lump formed in Kagome's throat as her once shattered heart mended in a small way. Touched, her own eyes burned and a small flicker of hope warmed her very soul. “Thank you,” she whispered, smiling genuinely despite her severe discomfort.
 
Nodding slightly, Sango stood and lifted the bowl of crimson water with a grimace of disgust. Her heart ached for her stepsister. Though her behavior that morning had been far from acceptable, no one deserved to be punished in such a brutal manner. “You shouldn't move for awhile,” she said softly as she opened the door. “And you also need to get some rest. Mother and Kikyou are out for the rest of the afternoon so I don't think you'll have to worry about them.”
 
Not waiting for an answer, Sango stepped from the building and closed the door firmly behind her. Feeling suddenly sick, she dropped the bowl and watched with a mixture of horror and disgust as the blood-stained water soaked quickly into the dry earth. Heart pounding furiously, she raced to the well and frantically drew another bucket of the crystal liquid. Plunging her hands into the cold water, she scrubbed her skin until it turned pink and raw, desperately trying to remove the viscous feeling of Kagome's blood from her fingers.
 
Finally, her hands numbed from the cold, Sango slumped in the dirt with a sob, collapsing against the side of the well and resting her forehead upon the smooth stones. Breathing in deep, gasping breaths, she closed her eyes and allowed her tears to trickle off the end of her nose. I wish… A sad smile curved her lips as she remembered Kagome's faithful ritual. Opening her heart to whomever might be listening, Sango prayed with every ounce of her being. I wish everyone could just be happy.
 
* * *
 
“Oh, dear child,” Rin gasped softly as her eyes widened in concern. “You really must allow my healers to look at that!”
 
Smiling softly, Tsubaki nodded as she lifted her tea cup with dainty grace. “You are far too kind, Your Majesty,” she crooned. “Although Kikyou was most brave, she does not wish to receive any recognition for her selflessness.”
 
“Nonsense!” Rin lowered her own cup and gaped at the young woman in wonder. “Everyone should know of how you saved a hanyou child from that bloodthirsty mob!”
 
Blushing with practiced ease, Kikyou lifted a hand to brush lightly across the terrible bruise adorned upon her face from Kagome's vicious attack. “It was but a maternal instinct, Your Grace,” she smiled with a small nod of her head. “When I saw it happen, I reacted without a single thought. It did not matter to me what the heritage of the child was. My only thought was to save its precious life.”
 
Responding with her own brilliant smile, Rin nodded and thoughtfully sipped her tea. “I cannot tell you how much your words bring joy to my heart,” she said. “It is becoming exceedingly difficult to find those who hold no prejudice against those of youkai blood.”
 
Faking a look of utter horror, Kikyou wiped a non-existent tear from her eye before placing a hand over her heart. “How horrible!” she replied. “A life is a life to me, Your Highness. I have always believed that all who live below the kamis are precious.”
 
Tsubaki couldn't help but grin at the wonderful act her daughter was performing. Quietly sipping her tea, she relaxed against the back of the stiff chair and thought of all the many preparations that would need to be completed before the wedding. She wanted it to go as quickly and smoothly as possible. The faster she inserted herself into the royal family, the least likely of a chance that her carefully laid plans would be disrupted. Her interest was suddenly piqued as the conversation gravitated toward the hanyou prince.
 
“Prince Inuyasha?” Rin asked, apparently answering one of Kikyou's many questions. “I am so sorry my brother-in-law could not be here to join us this afternoon.” Placing her tea cup on the top of the table, she folded her hands in her lap and sighed softly. “I'm afraid that it seems he has disappeared once again.”
 
“Again?” Tsubaki pressed curiously.
 
“Yes,” Rin replied with exasperation, oblivious to Tsubaki's sudden scowl. “He was gone all day yesterday and did not return until dawn!”
 
Kikyou's eyes flashed in annoyance at the announcement. She had rehearsed her story and spent hours perfecting her appearance for the benefit of the prince. It was a shame that her hard work seemed to have been for nothing. Lifting her gaze, she was startled at the look of fury that splashed across her mother's face. Clearing her throat, she nervously sipped her tea and prayed that whatever angered Tsubaki was not her fault. Rin suddenly became aware of the tension between the two, regarding them both with concern and curiosity. Smiling, Tsubaki lowered her tea cup. “Well,” she chuckled, shoving her suspicions deep within her heart for later study, “it must be marvelous to have that kind of stamina.”
 
The lady's sudden mood shift was not lost upon Rin's. Although something about Tsubaki and her daughter didn't feel right, the queen was not a rude host, and she dutifully ignored the niggling feeling of doubt that had begun to creep up her spine. Shrugging in an elegant manner similar to her husband, she reached for a small cracker in a basket upon the table. Her face lit up as she thought of a new, less awkward direction of conversation. “Perhaps you could solve a mystery for me!” she chimed happily, settling back into her chair. “I've spoken to nobles all over the court and there has not been one that could help me.”
 
Tsubaki and Kikyou exchanged a curious look before the young woman smiled encouragingly at the queen. “However may we be of assistance, Your Highness?” Kikyou purred.
 
“Do you know…” Rin began slowly. Her forehead wrinkled as she attempted to remember the name that Inuyasha had mentioned before. “Yes, do you know the Lady Megumi?” Her eyes widened with hope as she studied Tsubaki's stunned expression. “Apparently she is staying with a cousin, but no one seems to know who!”
 
Kikyou's heart sank as her mother's features darkened considerably. Whoever this woman was, Tsubaki was definitely not pleased to hear the name. “Lady Higurashi Megumi?” she asked with barely contained disgust.
 
“Oh, yes!” Rin laughed happily, clapping her hands together in delight. She failed to notice Tsubaki's rage at her sudden joy. “How wonderful! And here I was, thinking she was a ghost!”
 
Chuckling forcefully, Tsubaki lowered her cup and shook her head. “Oh, no,” she replied, “I'm afraid she's been around for years. In fact, she has been staying with us.” Turning burning eyes toward her bewildered daughter, she nearly hissed as she spoke. “Isn't that right, Kikyou?”
 
“Yes, of course,” Kikyou stammered in shock, having recognized the name as the one whispered reverently among the throngs of nobles. How was it that her mother knew the prince's new infatuation? And why did that name sound vaguely familiar? Above all else, why was she claiming to be family? “Lady Higurashi Megumi. Our…cousin.”
 
Rin's smile brightened in both her excitement and relief. Oh, she couldn't wait to inform Sesshoumaru about her newest discovery! To think that this mystery woman was actually a real, flesh-and-blood person was cause for celebration! Not only did this `Megumi' sound utterly delightful, but she may have very well captured the hanyou prince's wild heart.
 
“Yes, dear,” Tsubaki continued pointedly, still speaking to her daughter. “Whom you like to call `Cinderella'.”
 
At the realization of just who exactly her mother was referring to - just whomit was that all the nobles had been conversing so fondly of - Kikyou was suddenly unable to contain her explosive fury and rose suddenly from her seat. That was where she had heard that awful name before! Kagome's family name had been `Higurashi'! Kikyou had forgotten such an insignificant detail as she had only known the man for a few days, and Kagome had become a servant soon after. So, the graceful, beautiful, intelligent noblewoman was her servant. The one Prince Inuyasha was sneaking off to spend time with was Kagome. The woman that had the prince tripping over himself like a fool was Kagome! The little bitch that stood between her and the crown was…KAGOME!
 
Clenching her fists, Kikyou moved until she was several steps away from the table before screaming her frustrations to the sky. Releasing her anger in the only available outlet, she grasped her dress and shook it furiously, slamming her feet into the soft grass of the gardens. She squeezed her eyes closed as tight as she could, despite the flare of pain from the damaged socket and released one final growl of rage. Sucking in a deep and calming breath, she struggled to regain her careful composure.
 
Her head fell forward as all her muscles were exhausted from the tantrum she had just thrown, and she opened her eyes to discover her perfectly manicured nails covered in blood. During her rage, she had clenched her fists so tightly that her human claws had buried themselves in the soft flesh of her hands. Lifting her gaze, she was startled to discover not only her mother and the queen staring at her in alarm, but the regal and frightening king studying her coldly as well.
 
He had been carefully looking over his new peace treaty when he felt the sudden and intense outburst of rage. Scenting human blood, Sesshoumaru had nearly been overwhelmed with the need to protect his mate. Her distress and fear had made his heart pound furiously, and, faster than ningen eyes could follow, he was at her side. Rin had instantly calmed as her youkai mate laid a comforting hand upon her shoulder. Breathing in her gentle fragrance, Sesshoumaru relished in the return of her normal heart rate and turned his attention to the manic young woman. He was only slightly surprised that he recognized her. Something had been off about their first meeting in front of the church.
 
Flushed and a little frightened, Kikyou managed to paint a dazzling smile upon her features as she gracefully returned to her seat and settled demurely beside her mother. It was difficult to maintain her calm as she felt the king's intense gaze drilling straight into her mind. She almost felt as though she were suffocating in his very presence.
 
“Good heavens,” Rin said with a trembling voice. Placing her hand over her husband's, she reaffirmed his presence with a gentle squeeze. “Are you all right?”
 
Swallowing the lump of trepidation that had formed in her throat, Kikyou lowered her eyes. “It was…a bee,” she answered shyly, unable to meet the inquisitive stares of the king and queen.
 
Vying for any type of distraction, Tsubaki laughed heartily. “Please excuse her, Your Majesties,” she chuckled humorously as she shook her head and sipped her tea. “Kikyou has an unnatural fear of bee stings.”
 
Indeed. Sesshoumaru thought to him, sniffing lightly at the foolish display. His eyes narrowed as he studied the scene, and his sharp mind gathered all the needed information. While it seemed these women were not a threat to his mate, the scent of deceit in the air was difficult to ignore, and, in that moment, Sesshoumaru vowed to discover whatever secrets they were so desperate to hide.
 
* * *
 
Birds were singing merrily and the sun filled the forest with its warmth as Inuyasha rested his back upon a crumbling stone pillar. A book was clutched lightly in his hands, but the words blended together in a jumbled mess whenever he tried to focus upon them. In truth, he hadn't really been trying to read anything. Instead, he had spent the last several hours merely running his finger gently over the pages, surrounding himself with the captivating fragrance that still emanated faintly from within the creased folds.
 
Lifting his face, the prince closed his eyes and relished in the peace of the afternoon. He smiled as a soft summer's breeze flittered through the ruins of the once great temple, now overgrown with shrubs and trees. The pleasant zephyr gently caressed his face and he imagined it was the tentative touch of a fiery, young noblewoman. It surprised him, how much he craved physical contact. Since the death of his mother, he became a warrior - a soldier - where every touch was potentially a death blow. It was necessary to guard himself against others for his own survival.
 
Everyday with Megumi, however, brought hope and joy to his hidden, hanyou heart, soothing the angry beast within him and altering his cynical outlook on life. If this was love, it was incredible. He felt like a pup again. Everything in his life that had been so vital to this point meant nothing. They were just all part of the existence he had led before he had known Megumi. With her, he finally felt like he was truly living.
 
A softly snapping twig alerted him of another's presence, and his ears twitched as he turned his head. His pulsed beat rapidly, and a wide grin stretched over his face at the sight of the young woman entering the ruins. Inuyasha hadn't realized just how much he had wanted to see her until the moment she had appeared before him. His whole being radiated his immense joy, and, though she was the one approaching him, he felt as though he were the one coming home.
 
Stiff and weak from her injuries, Kagome carefully made her way over the uneven terrain, wincing as every step jarred through her torn flesh. Kaede had tightly and methodically bound her wounds with strips of cloth, sealing the lips of the jagged skin together to prevent further bleeding. It had taken a great deal of strength to endure the pain needed to dress in such finery, leaving her weary and unable to fully concentrate on her surroundings. Taking a deep breath, ignoring her body's protests as it strained against expensive fabric, she lifted her head and searched the ruins for her hanyou prince.
 
“Hello,” he said softly as she turned toward him with a blank expression upon her face. Leaping from his perch, he resisted the urge to skip to her side, floating from the elation he could feel in his heart. Though he had waited all day, he didn't mind in the least. He would have waited forever to see her again. His stride faltered as he finally took notice of her pale complexion and stiff posture. A small smile lifted her lips, but it appeared as though it were more of a grimace of pain, enhancing her haggard appearance. Sniffing tentatively, Inuyasha was alarmed at the scent of sickness and pain that mingled with her lovely fragrance. “Are you ill?” he asked in concern. Without hesitation, he captured one of her trembling hands and cradled it gently between his own.
 
Lowering her head, Kagome released a soft sigh. “I fear I am not myself today.”
 
Squeezing her hand softly, mindful of his claws, Inuyasha pulled her toward him and laid her timid fingers on his chest directly above his heart. “I feel like my skin is the only thing keeping me from exploding,” he admitted in a half growl. It was strange to say such sentiments out loud. He was so unfamiliar with voicing his emotions. “What have you done to me, wench?”
 
Ineffectively tugging to reclaim her hand, Kagome sighed and looked away. This was going to be hard enough without him gazing at her with such adoration. She resisted the temptation to lose herself in his eyes. It would be so easy to give up; to forget why she really came here. “There is something I must tell you, Sire,” she whispered, blinking rapidly to hold the tears at bay.
 
“Inuyasha,” he automatically corrected her with soft smile, “and I have something to tell you too.” Releasing her hand, he fidgeted nervously, pushing his claws through his unruly hair. Desperate for a distraction of any kind, he suddenly remembered the book clutched tightly in his grasp, and he thrust it toward her eagerly. “Oi, wench,” he growled, a soft blush dusting his cheeks, “you left your book in the carriage yesterday.”
 
With trembling fingers, Kagome accepted the gift, her mind instantly transporting her back to the lovely day that she and the prince had shared. She smiled, savoring the memory for just a moment before a new image overtook her thoughts. Glancing at the book, she saw it being consumed by flames, turning black with the heat in her very hands. Swallowing hard, more determined now then ever to voice the truth of her identity, the young girl's brow furrowed as she closed her eyes tightly against the ache in her heart, and then opened them to gaze at the confused hanyou. “Your Highness -” she began before he cut her off once more.
 
“Inuyasha.”
 
Shaking her head at the impropriety of it all, Kagome couldn't help but bite her lip in frustration as she pleaded with her eyes. “I cannot stay long, but I had to see you.” Weariness and sorrow pervaded her voice as she released a long, suffering sigh. “There is much to say.”
 
Confused by her demeanor, Inuyasha drew in a soothing breath and took one of her tightly clenched hands in his own. It was several minutes before he was able to coax the digits to relax, and, threading his fingers through hers, he gave her hand a gentle tug, turning toward a lighted doorway. “Come,” he urged softly, not noticing the wince of pain that accompanied her forward movement in his grasp. “There is something I want to show you.”
 
Walking carefully, the two entered a large, circular room where several exotic birds rested lazily upon the thick branches jutting through the solid stones of the floor. Kagome's eyes widened in wonder as she greedily drank in the peaceful atmosphere. It was almost as though she had stepped through a magical passageway and into another world. Oh, if only it could be that simple! Giggling softly despite her discomfort, Kagome leaned forward to study the colorful fowl. To her surprise, one brave, brightly-feathered creature quickly leapt upon her shoulder and released a cheerful `squawk' as it nuzzled her cheek.
 
“I used to play here as a pup,” Inuyasha explained, laughing at her expression as the bird continued to show its affection. “It was my mother's most cherished retreat. A place she could go to escape her duties to a people who refused to accept her.” His eyes darkened as the haunting memories and emotions flooded through him. It was difficult to think about her and control the rage of his beast. “When I was old enough, she brought me here and told me I could use it whenever the world became too cruel.”
 
Kagome stroked the beautiful bird one last time before setting it back upon the twisted tree. The sorrow in Inuyasha's voice struck a chord within her heart. It deeply saddened her that he had needed such a place to exist…and that his mother had as well. She knew that many humans held prejudices against those of youkai heritage. At the same time, youkai seemed to want little to do with humans. How horrible it must have been for Inuyasha; to be a part of two races that wanted nothing to do with him.
 
“What are you thinking?” he asked softly, reaching out to gently trail his fingers down her cheek.
 
“I am happy,” she answered with a small smile.
 
Momentarily confused, Inuyasha froze. “Happy?” he repeated, certain that he had heard incorrectly.
 
“I'm happy that you did not allow such a cruel and unfair past to make you bitter or hateful toward others.” Kagome's smile brightened as she watched the confusion on his face melt into surprise. “I'm happy that you became strong and found a place in such a world; demanding respect where others would have merely run and hid.” She lowered her eyes as her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment. “And I'm happy that you trusted me enough to share such a special place with me.”
 
For several moments, he couldn't speak or even move. The fierce affection that surged through his heart nearly brought him to his knees before her. Was she even real? Where had she existed his entire life? He had been reluctant when he told her of his past. He had expected pity. Those who did not instantly hold a grudge against hanyou often pitied them instead. However, Megumi had said that she was happy. She was happy that he was exactly who he was. She had recognized both his struggles and his achievements without scorn or pity, and he had never been more attracted to her then he was in that moment.
 
“Your Highness?” Her voice interrupted his thoughts with a nervous squeak.
 
“Inuyasha,” he corrected yet again. Smiling, he moved forward and trailed his claws along the ivy covered wall to his immediate right. “I've measured my life by these trees,” he spoke, squatting before a particularly massive mahogany. “Starting here -” he pointed to the base before standing and tilting his face toward the leafy canopy “- and going all the way to the top. And still they grow!” Knowing that Megumi would be the one to appreciate such sentiments, his smile widened.
 
Any joy that Kagome had felt was quickly extinguished as her current situation sank fully into her heart. What she wouldn't have given to have had such a wonderful retreat in her childhood; a place where she could have gone to escape who she was. Even now, it was so easy to forget her plight. It was easy to pretend that she was a noblewoman in love with prince. No, forget that. It was easy to pretend that she was merely a woman in love with a man. Everything that Inuyasha had shared, everything that he had felt, was all for a woman who did not exist. While Prince Inuyasha held Kagome's fragile heart in the palm of his hands, the only person that held his was Megumi.
 
“So much life to live,” Inuyasha continued, oblivious to his companion's agonized turmoil as she bit her lower lip to stifle her tears. “But now, Megumi, I no longer imagine it alone.”
 
Kagome nearly sobbed in defeat at his words. “You're not making this easy,” she whispered brokenly.
 
Inuyasha smirked as he misunderstood her meaning. Turning toward her, he tenderly brushed back a tendril of hair, allowing his fingers to linger a little longer than necessary. “I haven't slept a wink,” he confessed, dropping his hand. “I'm afraid I'll wake up and discover that this will have just been a dream.”
 
Feeling his fingers beneath her chin, Kagome lifted her eyes only to gasp breathlessly at the vision presented before her. Inuyasha stood before a large window, and the light of the afternoon sun poured in from behind, blazing his silver hair to a hue of the brightest gold and surrounding him in a halo of radiance. His serene expression was one that Kagome had always imagined adorned the very angels themselves, and she sank further into the black swell of her own self-hatred for ever having tainted such a god with her lies and deceit. It was pure torture to have a piece of heaven so close, and then realize that it was completely unobtainable. She was a corrupted soul, doomed to gaze longingly at a paradise forever beyond her reach. If only she had told him the truth. If only she had revealed herself in the very beginning…
 
“Last night,” Inuyasha interrupted her thoughts as he continued, completely unaware of the affect he was having upon her as he reveled in the warmth of the sinking sun, “I had a revelation.”
 
Kagome parted her trembling lips to allow the truth to spill forth. To her shock, her thoughts were not the only traitorous part of her as her voice betrayed her as well. Unable to say anything, she merely gaped in silent awe.
 
“I used to think that if I cared about anything, I would have to care about everything and I would go stark, raving mad!” Inuyasha chuckled as he shrugged. “But I've finally found my purpose.”
 
Kagome shook her head. It wasn't fair, this affect that he had on her. She prayed the earth would open and swallow her whole. Better to die than to live through anymore guilt.
 
“My purpose,” Inuyasha breathed softly, reaching for her face once more. “It's a project actually inspired by you, Megumi.” He couldn't decipher the expression that graced her ethereal features. Wishing to convey all that he felt in his heart, he gently cupped her cheek, tracing her lips with the pad of his thumb. “I can't tell you how much you've changed my life, but now I feel the most wonderful…freedom.” He felt liberated with his last confession, as though years of grief and loneliness were suddenly lifted from his shoulders. He never felt stronger then he did in that moment. With Megumi at his side, he could face anything with confidence.
 
“It wasn't me…” Kagome whispered shakily, lowering her head in shame.
 
Inuyasha chuckled his amusement, finding it a bit strange that she would be so shy now. It was completely due to this woman that such a marvelous change had taken place within him. The prince found it almost comical that her spirit and fire would recede at the time when he bared his soul. “Megumi,” he said, confusion flittering through him as she shuddered at the sound of her own name, “you are unlike any noblewoman I have ever met.” Threading his claws through her unbound hair, he marveled at its silkiness before tilting her face toward him once more. “Tomorrow night at the masque, I shall make it known to the entire world!”
 
Assuming her sudden tears were ones shed in joy, he smiled and placed a tender kiss upon her forehead. His eyes widened in surprise when he felt her hands fisting into the front of his suikan. “Why?” she sobbed brokenly.
 
“Megumi?” Concern flooded through him as sorrow and pain exuded from her voice and scent.
 
“Why did you have to be so wonderful?” She emphasized every word with a gentle tug on his clothes as more tears trickled down her flushed cheeks. Why couldn't you have been the arrogant and self-important bastard that everyone made you out to be? Why did you have to steal my father's horse, giving me the means to save Jii-chan and hang myself with this façade? Why did such a beautiful and romantic man have to exist behind your crude and rough exterior? Her silent thoughts twisted her heart, and she knew that she must speak up now. The prince planned to announce their relationship at the masque. She had heard the rumors like everyone else. The girl Prince Inuyasha introduced at the masque would become his queen. She was both touched and horrified that he had chosen her. No, Kagome, she mused scornfully, the prince hasn't chosen you. He plans to announce his engagement to Megumi.
 
“Now then,” Inuyasha murmured, a bit disturbed and confused by her reactions. Cupping her face, he gently wiped her tears away with a quick sweep of his thumbs over her cheeks. He smiled as he removed the evidence of her sorrow. “What did you want to tell me, wench?”
 
Abusing the flesh of her lower lip once more, Kagome reached deep within her heart to pull forth the courage needed to confess the truth. She had to it. She had to! Squeezing her eyes closed, she pictured his reaction. That didn't help. Sighing, she took a deep breath. Since the earth refused to cooperate and help her disappear, she steeled herself and opened her eyes. As she met his gaze, the valor she had struggled to find, sputtered and died in the face of his honest and sincere expression. Coward, she screamed at herself from within her mind. Panic began to rise in her heart as the words she needed to say lodged in her throat and refused to go any further. Tell him! He deserves to know!
 
But she couldn't. When they first met, the hardened lines of his face had told of a life of bitterness and sorrow. It had taken quite a bit of effort, but she had been rewarded at the end with the handsome and open expression that was regarding her curiously now. It was hard enough to let him go, but it would destroy her to see his beautiful eyes filled with pain and betrayal. It would be cowardly to disappear, but there was no other option. Kagome wanted to take the memory of his smile with her, not his suffering. She wanted the memory of his love, even if it wasn't directly aimed at her. It was terribly selfish of her to want to keep this small time together untainted in her memories, but she was a selfish creature.
 
“Megumi?” His voice drew her attention and she wallowed in self-loathing when she thought about what she was about to do. “What did you need to tell me?”
 
“Just that…” She paused as she pulled away. Unable to look at him any longer, she turned her head to the side to hide her tears. “Your Majesty - Inuyasha, last night was the happiest night of my entire life.” Whimpering in agony, Kagome turned to flee when she felt a gentle pressure on her wrist. Pulling her towards him, Inuyasha leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers, growling softly in his chest at the contact. More tears slipped down her cheeks as she closed her eyes and wound her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss. She couldn't deny that she wanted this just one last time. If she was already doomed, what was the harm?
 
Feeling her response, Inuyasha's growl intensified, and he moved his hands to plunge them into her silky hair. Holding her steady, he devoured her hungrily, desperate to chase away whatever it was that had caused her tears. He couldn't get close enough to her warmth and her scent, and he nearly came undone when she lightly nipped at his lower lip. To hell with propriety! He was done worrying about what was right and proper! Deepening their kiss, he grasped her arms, pushing her roughly into the bark of a nearby tree. Her sudden cry of pain cut deep into his heart, and he nearly stumbled in his haste to move away. “Megumi?” He choked, shaking his head to clear the lust-induced fog that had settled around his thoughts. A faint scent drifted past his nose, and he went rigid in horror. What had he done? How could he have been so stupid!? “Megumi -”
 
“I'm so sorry!” she sobbed, brushing past him and racing through the trees. She had to get away before he could captivate her again!
 
Horrified at his actions, he could only watch until she disappeared into the forest. He wanted to chase after her, but he didn't want to frighten her anymore then he already had. Cursing silently, he hardly noticed when someone appeared through the doorway and placed a comforting hand upon his shoulder. “Miroku,” he choked, wrinkling his nose at the lingering scent of blood. “I…I hurt her. I have to go after her!”
 
“I'm sorry, Your Highness, but the queen requests your presence immediately.”
 
“Rin?” Inuyasha's expression betrayed his shock. Rin would never call for him unless it was terribly important. No matter how much he wanted to go after Megumi, he needed to see his sister-in-law first. Perhaps by then, he'd have thought of a way to apologize to her for his deplorable actions. Sighing, he nodded to his captain and followed him out to the awaiting procession with a heavy heart.
 
 
* * *
 
Kagome sighed as she rested her forehead on the cool, smooth stones of the manor's door frame and drew in a deep breath to control her raging emotions. Biting her lip, she closed her eyes and willed the ache in her heart to cease and the unshed tears to dry. It was over. She had done it. Well, she hadn't technically done it, but she had successfully run away with her proverbial tail tucked between her legs. Though she should be happy, she just couldn't find the energy. She already missed him fiercely.
 
Pain had torn through her as she raced through the trees to the spot where she had hidden her servants' garb. It had been torture, peeling the gown and the bloodied cinch from her body and stepping into the water to wash her encounter with Inuyasha away. It was nothing compared to the agony that now festered within her heart. Why was she cursed with such poor luck? Fate had taken her mother, her father, and forced her to become a servant in her own household. And if that weren't enough, the one person she had fallen in love with, was the one person in Japan that she could never have.
 
Finally composed, Kagome draped the gown over her arm and entered the manor as quietly as she could. She barely made it to the top of the stairs before the dress was ripped from her grasp and she was painfully pushed into a stone wall.
 
“Of all the insidious jokes, turning your mother into a lady of the court!” Tsubaki roared in fury, drawing the presence of Kaede, Jii-chan and their unknown guest into the hallway. “Why, it's almost as absurd as a prince who spends his days with a servant who sleeps with the pigs!”
 
Angry, tired, and emotionally exhausted from her last encounter with said prince, Kagome couldn't stop the bitter words that spilled from her lips. “What bothers you more, Stepmother,” she snapped irritably, “that I am common or that I am competition?”
 
“Where is the jewel, you ungrateful bitch?” Tsubaki screeched, slapping the girl across the face and sending her crashing against the wall once more.
 
Bewildered, Kagome held her burning cheek and shook her head, glowering at her stepmother and oldest stepsister. “I don't know what you're talking about.”
 
“The gown, the Shikon no Tama; they were in my room this morning and now they're gone!” Kikyou's face was red from the force of her rage. “You hid them, I know it!”
 
“Where did you put them, Kagome?” Tsubaki demanded before she had a chance to retort. Furious, she advanced threateningly with her fists clenched tightly at her side.
 
Ten years of bitterness crashed down upon Kagome's heart. She had lost everything in a single afternoon. There was nothing left for Tsubaki and Kikyou to take. Unwilling to fall victim to intimidation any longer, Kagome eyes flashed as she stood tall and faced the wrath of her stepfamily. “Where are candlesticks, or the tapestries, or the paintings - perhaps the Shikon no Tama is with them!” she countered.
 
“You'll produce that jewel -!” Lady Tsubaki began.
 
“I would rather die a thousand deaths then to see my mother's belongings upon that spoiled, selfish, cow!” Kagome's deafening scream reverberated through the entire manor, shocking everyone into a stunned silence.
 
“Well,” Tsubaki hissed after several seconds, “perhaps that can be arranged.”
 
Kagome cried out in pain as the furious woman grasped a firm hold of her long hair. She barely was able to keep her feet underneath her as Tsubaki practically dragged her down the steep stairs to the basement and threw open the cellar door. Stumbling forward into the darkness, she heard Tsubaki snicker as she collided painfully with the corner of a heavy wooden table.
 
“Rot in there for all I care,” the lady sneered as she slammed the door and secured it with a large, iron bolt. Turning sharply, she nearly snarled at her audience as she pointed toward Kagome's prison. “Open this door,” she threatened menacingly, “and you'll wish you never set foot in this house.”
 
Kaede and Jii-chan watched in horror as the scene played out before them. Tsubaki had always ruled the house with an iron fist, but she had never displayed the level of violence that she had in the last few months. Attempting to manipulate the royal family seemed to be taking its toll on her sanity.
 
“Kikyou, Sango,” Tsubaki called as she turned the corner toward the dining hall. “Gather anything that will fetch a price. We shall go to town first thing in the morning.”
 
Horrified at what she had just witnessed, Sango was unable to hold her tongue. “Mother,” she pleaded, cringing as Tsubaki turned her murderous gaze upon her, “it's only a ball.”
 
“Yes it is,” Tsubaki hissed, “and heaven only knows why you're attending as that unappealing body will never attract a decent husband.”
 
Reeling in shock, Sango gasped and her eyes filled with tears. How could her mother have said something so cruel? Hurt and ashamed, she lowered her head and fled to the safety of her bedroom. It took everything she had to ignore the superior smirk of her sister as she rushed by. Tsubaki sent one last, threatening glare toward the servants before she retired to her own room. Lifting her nose, Kikyou followed suit, disappearing from sight.
 
“Now that you've seen it first hand, you have to help her!” Kaede pleaded as she turned toward their silent guest. She thanked the stars that her mistress had not noticed his quiet presence. “Hojo-kun, you must go to the prince!”
 
“But…” Hojo's face drained as the thought of the fearsome hanyou. “I am nobody! The prince would never see me! He'd probably rip out my throat for even trying!”
 
“You are her friend!” Jii-chan's face filled with sorrow as he remembered how Kagome had risked her life to save his. Would no one return the favor to the one person who deserved it the most? He would do it himself if he thought he could get past the castle guards. They would never allow a servant through unless they were accompanied by their master. Since Hojo was an apprentice and much younger, he wouldn't have a problem. “She needs your help,” he begged. “Prince Inuyasha expects to see her tomorrow!”
 
Guilt and fear flooded the poor young man in equal amounts as his worst fears came to life. Hadn't he tried to talk Kagome out of this very same idea? Where were the fates so cruel as to force him into a situation such as this? “I cannot,” he whispered and lowered his head sadly. “Besides, my master has me working tomorrow night.”
 
Jii-chan released a frustrated groan. Turning toward her husband, Kaede placed a comforting hand upon his shoulder. “Couldn't you go see Master Toutousai?” she asked, her own eyes shining with tears. “Surely a sword smith can speak with another sword smith?”
 
At the suggestion, Hojo nearly fainted in shock. “I am but an apprentice and he is the greatest sword smith of all time!” The young man shook as he imagined himself in the presence of such magnificence. “He is the one that forged the katana that rested upon the hip of the Great and Mighty Inutaisho-sama, himself! He is revered above all others! I could no sooner talk to the kamis -!” He squeaked in alarm as Jii-chan grabbed his haori and pushed him into the wall.
 
“This is Kagome we're talking about, Hojo-kun!” he roared. Hojo lowered his eyes in shame. “For once in your life, boy, be bold!”
 
A rustling sound on the stairs snapped the three from their discussion. Fearing that it was the return of their lady, Jii-chan wasted no time in ushering Hojo out of the front door. Stumbling over the threshold, he barely managed to catch his balance before he tumbled to the ground.
 
“You are her only hope,” Kaede whispered with a sad smile, closing the door behind him.
 
“Five lashes. Count them. Five!”
 
“I would hope you would do the same for me.”
 
Although that very exchange had happened no more then a few days ago, it seemed as though a lifetime had passed since he had helped his childhood friend masquerade as a noblewoman. Sighing heavily and trudging forward, Hojo cursed the fates that ever brought him the friendship of Higurashi Kagome.
 
* * *
“Ah, Miroku-san.” The queen smiled as she spotted the captain of the guard strolling leisurely through the palace gates. “I trust that you returned my wayward brother-in-law.”
 
“Of course, Your Majesty,” Miroku smirked, nodding toward the disgruntled hanyou that silently trailed behind him. Inuyasha couldn't help but roll his eyes. “It is my duty to serve the crown and the beautiful woman that it is adorned upon.”
 
Inuyasha gagged in exaggeration when Rin's girlish giggle tinkled in the air. She knew that Miroku was harmless, but she loved the attention the helpless flirt lavished upon her. Shaking his head, the prince frowned and motioned toward the castle. “I'm sure Sesshoumaru would love to hear about your inappropriateness with his mate.”
 
The queen waved a dismissive hand at his statement. “Don't listen to him,” she giggled again. “I think you're completely charming, Miroku-san.”
 
“Your Majesty,” Miroku bowed deeply. He flashed the hanyou a smile and politely excused himself.
 
Inuyasha watched him go, shifting his weight from one foot to another in his impatience. He really needed to find Megumi and apologize for harming her. With every minute that stretched between them, he felt the wave of dread creep closer to his vulnerable heart.
 
“Is something troubling you?” Rin asked tentatively. Her guarded expression revealed that she had already anticipated his answer.
 
He sighed as he turned his head toward Lady Tsubaki's estate. He didn't wish to be rude, but if Rin had something important to tell him, he hoped she hurried. Megumi's cry of pain echoed in his ears, and he knew he would never forget the sight of her beautiful face as it contorted in agony. He felt helpless. The instinct to protect her nearly overwhelmed his other senses.
 
“It is Lady Megumi, isn't it?” Rin pressed after a brief hesitation. She hated this. After all this time, Inuyasha finally seemed so happy. Rin hated Lady Megumi, not only for hurting Inuyasha, but for forcing her to be the one to break his heart. Stepping forward, she placed a comforting hand upon his arm. “You were with her, weren't you?”
 
“I know this seems sudden,” Inuyasha said in rush, covering her small hand with his much larger one. Breathing rapidly, he turned his gaze upon her and pleaded with his eyes for her understanding. “I must go to her now. I'll explain everything later, but I have to make sure she isn't hurt.”
 
“Oh, my,” Rin interrupted, pulling her hand from his to rest it against her fiercely beating heart. “I was afraid he'd taken retributions against her although I had hoped Lady Tsubaki was mistaken.”
 
With those words, Rin managed to capture Inuyasha's full attention. Trembling with dread, he helped her to a nearby bench. Her eyes filled with tears as she gracefully sank into the solid marble and squeezed his hand tightly.
 
“Sister,” he rasped, his throat suddenly dry, “of whom do you speak?”
 
Unable to watch the pain she knew she would inflict, Rin sighed and closed her eyes. “Her betrothed, Inuyasha-sama,” she answered in a whisper. “Higurashi Megumi is to be married to a European Ambassador.”
 
Inuyasha could have sworn his heart actually stopped beating.
 
“Her husband has discovered her infatuation with you, my brother,” Rin continued softly, smoothing the fine silk pooled around her knees. “I'm afraid she might have been whipped for her indiscretions and is returning to Europe by boat this afternoon.”
 
He couldn't breathe, and a fierce growl escaped his lips as amber turned pink with rage. He didn't know what infuriated him more: the fact that Megumi had been whipped, or that she was promised to another. Breathing deeply, he struggled to retain control over his more primitive side. “No,” Inuyasha shook his head in disbelief. “That is impossible. There has to be some mistake!”
 
“I'm sorry,” Rin sighed at the raw emotion evident in the prince's voice. “Lady Tsubaki and her daughter were quite reluctant to talk about it.”
 
“Well it's no wonder!” he snapped angrily. “With news like this!”
 
Rin cringed and bit her lip. She knew Inuyasha would never hurt her, but his hold on his darker side wavered and she could feel the snap of his jyaki against her very skin. Her aborrance for Megumi grew as she watched a plethora of emotions play across the prince's face. What kind of monster would purposely harm someone in this way? Wounds of the flesh healed, but wounds of the heart…
 
Inuyasha couldn't hear anything other than the furious pounding of his blood. Could this truly be happening? Now? Why were the kamis so cruel? What had he done in his life to deserve something like this!? “You know, if she were taken, she damn well should have had the fucking decency to say something!” he roared in fury as his eyes tinted pink and jagged purple lines cut a path down both cheeks.
 
“Would you have listened to her?” Rin's voice was soft.
 
“Of course not!” the hanyou snarled, his claws and fangs lengthening. “I would have-!!” As if a candle had been blown out, Inuyasha sudden straightened. His eyes returned to their familiar golden hue, his jyaki receded, and his youkai features faded. The shift had been so swift that Rin couldn't help but feel a bit edgy and uncertain about his placid expression. “Damn it,” the prince sighed as his shoulders slumped in realization. “There I was, pouring my royal heart out to the heavens and she was simply trying to tell me good-bye.”
 
Tears burned in Rin's eyes as she swore that she could almost hear the sound of Inuyasha's heart shattering into countless pieces. Wishing to comfort him, she stepped forward and gently brushed back his unruly bangs. “It is strong woman that can keep her wits about her with you trying to steal her heart,” she said softly, placing a hand on his cheek.
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha snarled darkly, pulling from the tender caress. “And what a clumsy fucking thief I turned out to be.” He could feel himself beginning to lose control, and he didn't wish any harm upon Rin. She had taken a big risk in telling him the news. He was grateful to her though. She was trying to save him any further humiliation. Clenching his fists, he turned and stalked away.
 
“Inuyasha-sama,” the queen cried as he made his way toward the castle. “Any choice is better than the mainland hime!”
 
Ignoring her pleas to return and the torment he can feel festering within his broken heart, Inuyasha burst through the palace doors and punched a stone in the wall to dust. His battle-hardened knuckles yielded under the assault and bright red blood splattered onto the tiles of the floor, staining the highly polished surface.
 
“Y-Your Majesty!?” Jaken whimpered, cowering at the unusual display.
 
“Go and get my brother, the King!” he snarled, turning red-tinted eyes toward the terrified court jester. “Now!
 
Jaken bowed low to the ground and stumbled in his haste to rise, sending him crashing to the floor in a heap of bells and cloth. Shivering in fear, he closed his eyes and waited for the terrible blow that would send his soul streaming to the underworld.
 
“There is no need to threaten the servants, Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru's voice was calm and cold. “You wish to speak with me?”
 
The hanyou didn't answer, merely slid his crimson gaze to the expressionless taiyoukai and released a vicious snarl. Sesshoumaru's claws lengthened in response should he need to placate his brother and he answered in an even more menacing growl. Ears twitching, the prince withdrew his fangs as his jyaki receded, recognizing the admonition of the more dominate male.
 
“Perhaps we should take a walk,” Sesshoumaru suggested, motioning toward the door as the last of the red faded from Inuyasha's eyes. Leading the way, the taiyoukai leapt over the castle wall and raced toward the forest with the hanyou in hot pursuit. It had been a long time since the two dropped all pretenses and indulged in their baser needs. Youkai longed to run free. It was in their nature to feel the earth beneath their feet and take joy in the thrill of the hunt. After bringing down a rather impressive bear, the two relaxed and settled in the grass, the taiyoukai king leaning against a large tree while Inuyasha rested comfortably a few feet away.
 
“So, I understand you wanted to speak with me?” Sesshoumaru's voice was so soft, it did nothing to disturb the peace of the glade.
 
Lowering his head, Inuyasha released a sorrowful sigh. “Yeah. I did.”
 
Something inside the taiyoukai stirred at the sight of his deflated brother. Since the hanyou had been born, he had suffered the worst of everything: being second to a full youkai brother, hated for things beyond his control, losing his mother and father at a young age, and fighting to maintain his place in the royal court. Throughout the years, the hanyou had steadily gained the respect of not only his people, but of Sesshoumaru as well and the prospect of ruling beside his brother did not bother the King as it had in the past.
 
Now, after all the hardships, trials and struggles the hanyou endured, never had the King seen him so defeated and broken. Never had the prince seemed as weak and vulnerable as he did now, and Sesshoumaru couldn't help the feeling of guilt that prodded at his hard and ancient heart.
 
“Inuyasha,” Sesshoumaru sighed, abandoning his usual mask of indifference. “Perhaps it was unfair of me to put as much pressure on you as I did, about the marriage contract.”
 
The only response was the prince's twitching ears as he listened to his brother intently.
 
“I just thought it was time to make some changes in your life.” The King shifted uncomfortably, unaccustomed to having such long and meaningful conversations. “You seemed to be floundering as of late. But this university proposal of yours…” Sesshoumaru paused, carefully choosing his next words. “I believe it to be a brilliant idea.”
 
Inuyasha lifted his head slowly, the shock of being complimented by the taiyoukai evident on his face.
 
By kami, Father, if you could only see me now…how proud you would be, Sesshoumaru mused silently as he forced the next words from his mouth. “We don't have to announce anything tomorrow night, Inuyasha.”
 
“I've made my decision.”
 
Sesshoumaru nearly lifted a brow in surprise at the declaration as Inuyasha's voice was calm and hollow; devoid of any emotion.
 
“We had a compromise, did we not?” the hanyou said flatly. “I will honor our agreement.”
 
Though his first instinct was to sigh in exasperation, Sesshoumaru merely reinserted his stoic façade, nodded and rose gracefully from the ground. He carefully watched his brother as Inuyasha mimicked his movements mechanically.
 
Foolish half-breed, the King grumbled to himself as the two leapt through the trees toward the castle. It seems our family truly is cursed when it concerns our relationships with ningen females.
 
* * *
 
P.S. There are a few instances in this story where two words have been squished together and a few words have an inappropriate space in them. I've tried on several occasions to fix it, but it must be a weird flaw because the system won't accept it. So, yes, I'm aware, and my apologies. Regards!