InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Appetizers? On Me! ❯ Excluded ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Some things never change.
 
He glanced sidelong at the group of school aged children running amok on the playground. Their high-pitched screams and giggles filled the early afternoon air and complimented the city's muggy heat. He watched with an impassioned eye as one youngster strayed from the rest of the pack.
 
The boy was small, gangly and awkward. With his head hung low he moodily kicked the sand at his feet, creating tiny whirlwinds of dust in the air. The other children didn't notice his absence and from the despondent look on the boy's face it wasn't the first time.
 
The youngsters carried on with their game of tag, too involved to notice or care that they'd excluded one of their own. The boy eventually sauntered up to the bench he was sitting on. Without a word he sat down.
 
“Rough day?” he probed. The boy breathed a heavy sigh and his shoulders noticeably sagged, as though the weight of the world rested upon them.
 
“Yeah.”
 
A moment of silence passed between them as they became lost in their own thoughts. The city hummed around them and the ruckus from the playground grew louder.
 
“Does it get better?” The boy asked suddenly.
 
He couldn't have been older than eight, but the boy already understood that they weren't so different. “Honestly? No.”
 
It seemed cruel to take that little bit of hope from him, but the way he saw it he was doing the boy a favour. Why lie and tell him that the world was sunshine and roses when it so obviously wasn't?
 
He felt the boys gaze on him but couldn't summon the courage to return it. After a long while the boy looked away and stared hard at the playground. He jumped off the bench with a `hup' and took a few steps towards the other children. Stopping suddenly, he turned and cast a genuine smile over his shoulder.
 
“Thanks.”
 
He nodded amiably and watched the boy dart back to the playground, retrieve his knapsack from the ground and dash across the field.
 
With the sun beginning to set over the tops of the nearby skyscrapers he decided it was time he left as well. He didn't like to linger in this place, with so many old ghosts and memories around to haunt him. With a weary look he cast an eye towards the far end of the field where the boy had disappeared. He envied him.
 
If only it was that easy…