InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Appetizers? On Me! ❯ Springtime in the Sengoku Jidai ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Storyid: 4070441
FanFiction.net
Name: Appetizers- On Me!
Author:
Chapter: 11


The scent of sakura drifted in on the breeze, announcing the arrival of Spring to the Sengoku Jidai. All around her, Kagome saw the world coming alive after the long winter and for the first time in her life, she felt a part of that change.

She followed the worn path through the forest to Inuyasha’s favourite retreat. He liked to linger in the Goshinboku’s ancient branches. It seemed strange to some that he was so attached to a simple tree, but she understood. The tree was a part of him, just as this place was a part of her.

She found him standing beneath its branches, staring thoughtfully at the ground. Sneaking an arm around his waist, she asked, “What’re you doing?”

He didn’t answer at first, so she followed his gaze to find a tiny seedling poking up through the rich earth at the base of the tree. It was only a small bud, but it was strong and healthy, and one day it, too, would become great.

Inuyasha pulled her close and placed a tender kiss against her brow.

“I love you,” he whispered softly.

“I know,” she reassured him with a soft sigh. “We both do.”


Author's Note: Written for the new IY drabble group on LJ IY_Themes. This was the first challenge of the draw and the theme was "Tree", to be covered in no more than 200 words.

I liked the idea of connecting Kagome to the cycle of new life that comes with Spring. The change of season and the seedling at the base of the tree are all allusions to the life growing inside of her. I hope it came across that way.

Comments/Reviews are welcome :)

- Langus