InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Appetizers? On Me! ❯ Someday ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Storyid: 4070441
FanFiction.net
Name: Appetizers- On Me!
Author:
Chapter: 12


Kohaku had never thought himself a complicated man.

The knowledge that he was no great philosopher or intellectual mind, and never would be, had never troubled him. And while he could read and write more easily than most, he was prouder of his achievements on the battlefield than he was of his penmanship.

The demons killed by his hand now numbered in the thousands. His weapon, the sickle, had been mastered after only five years of intensive training, when most others would have taken twice that time. And at 19 years of age, he led the army of one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, demons in the country.

It was an impressive resume by anyone else standards but his own. No matter how much blood he spilled, or how many countless hours he dedicated to honing his skills, it was never enough. How could he possibly be satisfied when those things he worked hardest for would never bring him what he truly wanted?

It had taken nearly five years for him to realize it, but what he wanted was her.

He wanted her easy smiles and laughter. He wanted her hands in his; warm and small and soft against his calloused touch. He wanted to know what it would be like to wake up with her in his arms and find her eyes focused only on him. There were times, too, during lonely nights, when he wondered how it would feel to have her legs wrapped tight around his waist while she quietly moaned his name in his ear.

She, alone, could bring him happiness. He knew it just as surely as he knew that 1 + 1 equalled 2 and that his sickle’s chain was exactly one half the length of a semachi. But it wasn’t as easy as that. His confidence on the battlefield meant nothing once he found himself within five feet of her. It was then that his words evaporated and his mouth went dry. His hands sometimes shook too, along with his knees, and on those rare occasions when the sleeve of her silk robes would accidentally brush the bare skin of his arm, he’d stop breathing altogether.

It was little wonder why she took no notice of him.

With Lord Sesshomaru as his competition, the match was over before it began. His Lordship had never demonstrated more than a passing interest, but that didn’t stop her from tailing along at his side. Even when he wasn’t around she talked of him incessantly, always wondering what he was doing and when he would return. The jealousy that burned inside of him was almost as bright as the yearning he felt for her.

He knew, of course, how foolish it was to dream of things that would never be his. Yet, strangely enough, just when he’d resign himself to defeat something incredible would happen.

Like today, when she sat alongside him in his favourite thinking spot beneath a large maple tree. With her bare feet kicking away at the grass, she’d talked to him about everything and nothing for hours. He’d listened intently while she chatted away and even managed to answer her questions without stumbling over his words.

It was unexpected moments like those gave him hope; that potent, addictive elixir. And hope made him believe that what seemed impossible wasn’t entirely out of his reach. Some day he might just wake up to the sight of her brown eyes in the early morning light and feel the solid weight of her body in his arms. On those days, smiling would be second nature and laughter would be easy.

And maybe someday she’d bear a child that was his, one they could call their own, that looked just like her nothing at all like him.

The thought brought a timid smile to his lips.

Someday, he told himself, someday.

Maybe even tomorrow.


Author's Note: Written for the IY_Themes drabble challenge on LJ. The theme for the week was "Silk" to be tackled in no more than 750 words. This is my first attempt at trying to capture Kohaku's character in any of my fics. I was lucky enough to have it place 1st! w00t! Any thoughts on characterization from any Kohaku fans out there would be much appreciated!