InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Awaken ❯ All Cuts & Bruises ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Sesshomaru winced as he saw her lying motionless on the ground. He recognized her immediately, even though he hadn't seen her in years. He walked forward slowly, cautiously, as if he was afraid of waking her. But in reality, he feared she would never wake again.

"Eh… Lord Sesshomaru," Jaken began as Sesshomaru knelt beside the girl. "Lord Sesshomaru, I don't think that is…" Sesshomaru gently turned the girl over so that her face was visible. "Wise," Jaken finished as he gazed upon her face, cut and bruised, and at the jeweled dagger still in her hand. She was not breathing.

Sesshomaru looked away quickly, his hand still on the girl's shoulder. After a few moments, he faced her again. She's so beautiful now, nothing like the child I remember, he thought, lightly stroking her hair. Damn you, Naraku. Why did you take her from me? For a brief moment, he allowed his mind to conjure up images of when they had first met. She had brought him food and drink every day for weeks. Once she was caught stealing the food and came to him that day, cut and bruised from their beatings but still smiling all the while. Her injuries now resembled those of that day. Sesshomaru subdued the memories once again.

He gently laid the girl back down and stood silently, turning to leave. Jaken's eyes followed his every movement. He thought a moment, looking back and forth between Sesshomaru and the girl, then spoke.

"My lord, what shall we--"

"Come Jaken. We're leaving."

Jaken hesitated, then began after his master.

"Master Jaken…?" The voice was weak and barely audible, yet Sesshomaru's sensitive ears still heard it. Jaken gasped and nearly fainted when he heard her call.
"Rin?" Sesshomaru turned slowly, afraid his mind was playing tricks on him. He saw her try to push herself up off the ground, into a sitting position, and could not keep the excitement from his usually indifferent voice. "Rin!" He was at her side in an instant, helping her to sit up.

"Lord Sesshomaru!" she exclaimed, her voice still soft. Rin hugged him as tight as she could but soon let go, wincing in pain.

"Are you hurt badly?" The concern in Sesshomaru's voice was duplicated on his face. "Do you need help?"

"I'm… okay. More or less." She attempted to smile.

"Okay?!" Jaken exclaimed. "Just look at you, woman! All cuts and bruises… You look just as you did when Lord Sesshomaru found you mauled by wolves! What on earth happened to you?!"

Sesshomaru glared at Jaken. Jaken backed away, looking at the ground. "I apologize, Lord Sesshomaru. Please forgive my interruption."

Turning his attention back to Rin, Sesshomaru asked, "Are you able to walk?" Rin hesitated a few moments. "Nevermind." Sesshomaru gathered her up in his arms. "I will carry you." Rin wrapped her arms around his neck and closed her eyes. "Thank you, Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru's eyes widened and he looked down at the human in his arms. "What did you call--" He sighed as he realized she was unconscious. "Come, Jaken."

"Yes, Milord." Jaken followed him eagerly.

*********

Standing in the corner of the small hut, Sesshomaru watched quietly as the old woman put herb packs on Rin's injuries. He was impatiently waiting for the woman to speak. Concentrating on the sound of Jaken's movements outside, he nearly jumped when she finally did.

"Alright," She stopped when she saw the startled expression in his eyes. "What's the matter?" Sesshomaru shook his head and she continued. "Ye need to let her rest. She will be well again in a few days. Ye are welcome to stay here."

Sesshomaru composed himself, still a bit fidgety. "We cannot stay here that long."

"Why not?" The old woman looked at him strangely and stood. "The villagers will take no notice of ye."

"That's not the reason."

"What is, then? Are ye afraid InuYasha will find ye among humans?" A smirk appeared on the woman's face. "What have ye to fear of him?"
Sesshomaru's eyes flashed at the mention of his brother. "Do not speak his name in my presence." He stepped closer to the woman. "I, Lord Sesshomaru of the Western Lands, have nothing to fear of that worthless hanyou. I simply wish to avoid anything that would disturb Rin's rest."

"Mark my words, Sesshomaru. The time will come when ye and ye brother must work together as one." Sesshomaru opened his mouth to reply, but the woman interrupted. "But I know ye will have none of that, not now." She put a few herb packs and bandages in a small sack and set it aside. Taking a blanket out of a wooden chest, she instructed Sesshomaru to lift the girl. The woman wrapped the blanket around her and Sesshomaru took her in his arms once again. She picked up the sack and handed it to Sesshomaru. "I trust ye know what to do with these?" Sesshomaru nodded and turned to leave. "Farewell, then, Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru paused at the door. "Farewell. And...thank you. Kaede."