InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Awaken ❯ Breaking Free ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

As promised, here are my reasons for not rewriting this story (aside from a few minor changes)…

1. My original plans for the fic went down in flames when I realized there was going to have to be (at the very least) a five-year gap in Naraku's chasing after InuYasha (not to mention the Shikon no Tama) and every idea I came up with to explain said lapse in demonic activity was stupid.

2. Rin & Kagome were to meet, but they (in this version) would be almost eleven years apart in age, and I didn't want that much of a difference.

3. Would Sesshomaru really have let Rin go without following her the very instant she was kidnapped? I think not. (Okay, maybe he would…)

4. You know, my point is this: Rin is too young, Kagome's too old, and I'm too cynical. Too much of a difference in age & time for my comfort, so this is just going to be a short, one-shot story.

I did break it up into three tiny chapters, though, because I didn't like the way it was all together. Have fun reading! (And don't forget to review! You don't know how much I would appreciate it, even on this lost cause.) ^_^

-------------------- ~*~ --------------------

Slender knives. Engraved swords. Jeweled daggers. Blades of all shapes, sizes, and styles occupied the walls of the otherwise empty room. Naraku was holding a tall black candle, using it to light four candles in the corners of the room, while two of his demon guards pushed Rin into the center of the room, removed her shackles, and slid the door shut.

Naraku now stood in front of her. "You've grown into a beautiful woman over the years, Rin." Rin turned and headed for the door. "Now," Naraku said, amused,

"Where do you think you're going?" He reached out and grabbed her wrist.

Rin tried to pull her arm away from Naraku but he pulled her closer to him and held both of her hands in one of his. With his free hand, he cupped her chin, forcing her to look at him. "Do not give me trouble, human. I only wish to have a word with you."

Rin struggled to break free from Naraku's hold. "Unhand me, you filthy demon!" Naraku's eyes only widened slightly before he swept her feet from underneath her and she fell hard to the bare wooden floor. The two sat in silence for a moment, then Rin let out a short laugh. "Demon," she said mockingly. "You're not even that." She lifted her gaze to meet his and spit the word out with such hatred that Naraku was momentarily taken aback. "Halfbreed."

Every last bit of Naraku's patience with the girl vanished. He drug Rin back to her feet by her hair and hit her across the face. Her head snapped to the side with the force of his blow.

Naraku's hands dropped to his sides and a smirk appeared on his face. "Now, girl, as I was saying---What is that you're mumbling?" Rin stood silently, staring at the wall to his right. He grabbed her by her shoulders and shook her once. "What did you say, girl?"

Rin laughed quietly and stepped closer to him, so close that she could see the threads in his kimono. So close that she breathed in his strange scent as if it were all around her. She leaned into him, speaking softly, "I was just wondering if there was any particular reason you chose this room for our little discussion." Before Naraku could react, Rin used all of her strength to push him away from her and into the wall behind him. He was surprised by her action and allowed himself to collide with the wall then slide down it. He looked up at Rin curiously; she was staring at the wall just above his head. He followed her gaze, gasping at the immense pain that followed his movement.

Blood. There was blood, staining the once off-white walls red. Naraku looked at Rin, not comprehending what had happened. Rin backed away from him slowly, holding out her hand as if to stop him from moving. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks as she watched him. He lifted his hand to his left shoulder, feeling for the blade. It was one of the smaller knives that had been driven into his shoulder from behind. He leaned forward slowly, wincing in pain. Rin glanced nervously around the room. She walked to the wall nearest to her and pulled a short dagger off of its mount, leaving its twin behind. Slowly, she crossed the room and knelt at Naraku's side.

"Are... Are you... Okay?" Rin's voice trembled. I can't believe this. I may have fatally injured him just then, giving myself the perfect opportunity to run. Run from this horrible place that's held me captive for over ten years. And yet here I sit. Worried that Naraku, a hanyou, a vile creature, might die. Rin lightly touched his arm. In that tiny movement, she saw a glint of metal on the floor. Frozen in shock, she stared down at the knife. It was covered in blood.

Without catching the slightest glimpse of movement, Rin felt another knife being pressed to her throat. This is the thanks I get for caring. She sighed.

Naraku laughed and released her. He stood and stepped back, allowing her to stand as well. "I could've easily killed you just then and you would never have known it. Tell me, Rin, are you going to try to escape again?"

I see you're back to your normal self. Rin stepped closer to him and bowed her head submissively. "No, Lord Naraku."

"No, what?"

Rin smiled to herself. "No, Lord Naraku, I am not going to try to escape again. Please forgive my insolence."

"Good. I have only a short time left. Shall we have our talk now?"

Rin looked up to meet Naraku's gaze. He raised an eyebrow and glanced past her. Rin took that chance to pull the dagger out of her sleeve and plunge it into Naraku's chest. Heart, heart, heart, she thought, and used both hands to twist the blade.

Naraku stood unmoving for a moment, still looking past her. He made a soft noise and met her eyes before falling to his knees. Rin walked around Naraku to retrieve the other small dagger from the wall. Keeping this one clutched tightly in her hand, she headed for the door. Reaching for the handle, she stopped. "No, Lord Naraku, this time I am escaping." She took one last glance over her shoulder. It won't keep him for long, she thought, but it'll have to do. Smiling, she threw open the door and took off down the corridor.