InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bacchanalia ❯ An Unusual Morning ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Author's Notes: Sorry it took me a while to update, hope you like it.

" ____ " Speaking
[ ____ ] Thoughts
~*~*~*~ Scene change


------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------


"Take care Miroku," a sleepy-eyed Kagome hugged her cousin at the bottom of the stairs.

He smiled tenderly while holding her close, "Of course I will moppet, you take care too."

"Hmm, I thought that was the duke's job," Kagome sighed, feeling slightly insecure at the prospect of staying with the acclaimed 'Devilish Duke.'

"Like I said, take care," Miroku released her and stepped back, urging her up to bed before heading out to where his horse awaited.

[What am I going to do?] Kagome waved to him once more before heading up to her room and crawling into her big bed. Once comfortably settled beneath the covers, she sighed and wondered at her cousin's choice of guardian.

The Devilish Duke

Just his title could bring a shiver down your spine, but was he really so devilish? If Miroku trusted him to watch over her, he couldn't be so very bad. [Then again, Miroku mustn't have had much time to choose a chaperone or many choices in such a hurry, he probably didn't even think this through very well.]

Thinking back over the few times she'd seen the duke, she vaguely recalled he was taller than her, about 5'11" with an athletic figure and moved with an elegant ease. She could even say he was surprisingly graceful for a man. His defining features however, were his wicked lop-sided grin, golden eyes and his beautiful long silver hair.

Unlike most fashionable men, he did not powder his locks, it would have been a waste since they were already a soft silver color. Rumor had it he'd been the man behind that trend, since coming into his title had brought him into high society and the women swooned at the sight of his hair, other men had taken to powdering their own or wigs in order to imitate his natural color.

[Sango will kill me when she finds out about this!] Kagome giggled softly, her eyes drooping in fatigue. [I can't believe I'm meeting the duke in the morning.]


~*~*~*~~*~*~*~


[Great, she'll probably not even be ready] Inuyasha sighed and looked over at the clock by the doorway absentmindedly. He'd wanted to buy the damned thing from Miroku not too long ago, but his friend had shaken his head and claimed it was a family heirloom. [Where could the bloody girl be? The butler had her called for ten minutes ago.]

The sound of swishing skirts reached his ears at that moment, bringing his focus from the clock to the stairs, eyes widening in surprise at the figure coming down. [Its her! The girl from last night's ball!]

Oblivious to his surprise, Kagome apologized while she came down, "Forgive me for making you wait my lord, I'm usually up rather early but last night's ball took a bit more out of me."

"Its no problem," Inuyasha snapped out of his shock and came to the bottom of the stairs, offering his arm to escort her out to the carriage. "Are you ready to go? Where are your bags?"

"They're almost ready," Kagome smiled, stopping for a moment before taking his arm to speak to the butler and housekeeper who'd come to stand by the stairway. "Mr and Mrs Derwent, thank you so much for your help during my stay, I'll keep in touch and expect to hear from you sometime."

"Of course miss," the previously aloof butler came over with a timid smile and offered her a small basket. "Mr Mackie prepared this for you so you do not skip your morning meal. He included enough for a mid-day snack as well if you or your lordship should be hungry during the journey. I believe a small flask of his black tea is included as well."

"How sweet! Thank you, and please give him my sincerest thanks, I'm guessing he's with Marie right now?" Kagome took the basket and tucked it into the crook of her arm.

"The poor girl's not too well this morning miss, but you must be off now," Mrs Derwent reminded her, smiling brightly before Kagome thanked them again and turned to take Inuyasa's arm. Allowing him to lead her outside, she was surprised when he helped her into the carriage and apologized for not riding with her.

"I'm afraid I've never been able to travel long distances in such a confined space. Should you need anything I'll be riding alongside the carriage on my destrier." Inuyasha closed the door after her silent nod and hurried over to his horse. "Have her things been loaded?" He asked his driver.

"Yes m'lord, we're all set," Hachi, a slightly tubby, but entertaining fellow settled in and snapped the reins, urging the horses on.

"Good bye!" Kagome waved from the window, smiling at the servants who'd treated her so well during her stay. [If they weren't all leaving in the next few days I might have stayed with them, but Miroku's house is so dark and frightening, I'd be terrified to stay there alone.] Sitting back against the comfortable seat cusions, she looked up to the foreboding sky and sighed. [It looks like rain, I wonder if the duke will ride on his destrier if we get caught by the storm?]

Wondering why it bothered him to ride in carriages, she sighed and watched his figure through the window. He was a good rider, sitting comfortably atop his black horse, back straight, silently leading the carriage down the road. [I wonder if he's always so silent? Shouldn't he be wilder? More daring? I've heard so many things about him but I can't imagine any of them being true.]

Inuyasha Drake, Duke of Wyvern and more commonly known amongst the TON as the 'Devilish Duke' was reputed to be wild and dangerous. He was a known rake, with a mistress in London and others rumored in France and Italy. He'd served in the army for four years before inheriting the title the year before as the only heir to an uncle from his mother's side of the family. His older half-brother, a member of the french nobility, was said to have kicked both him and his mother out of their home in Tours after their father died.

And of course, that led to the most important fact about him, whispered by everyone in the ball rooms and parties he attended. The fact that he was a bastard, in the most literal meaning of the word. His mother had been on a summer holiday in Genoa, enjoying some time away with friends when she'd met his father, an englishman married to a wealthy french countess. His title as Compte D'Angers had been a small benefit from the union in comparison to the wealth his wife had brought him. Having been on a business trip meant to last a week, he'd extended his time in the city to a month after he met her.

The result of that month had been his mother's sudden decision to move to France and Inuyasha's birth barely over a year later. His mother having been his father's mistress was a highly speculated fact with the ton.

[Poor man, how hard it must have been for him, growing up under such circumstances] Kagome sighed, turning away from the window when her stomach growled. Eating a few of the rolls Mr. Mackie had prepared for her, she settled into the corner of the seat and slowly felt herself ease into a light doze.

It was the loud slamming of the carriage door that woke her, gasping to see the duke settling down in the seat across from hers, wiping the water from his cloak. "The storm's gotten pretty bad, we're not far from the manor however, so we won't need to stop at an inn."

"Oh dear, did I really sleep so long?" Kagome sat up and smoothed out her dress, watching him close the windows and try to make himself more comfortable in his seat. "Its only a two hour trip, you haven't been sleeping all day."

Kagome remembered Miroku mention the distance and nodded, "Right."

After traveling for the next few minutes in silence, Kagome kept her eyes on the rain outside the window, struggling to keep from looking at him. [Is he watching me?] Taking a quick glance out of the corner of her eye, she was surprised to see he was indeed focused on watching her.

[I can't believe she turned out to be the girl from the ball.] Inuyasha watched her profile, smirking at her obvious discomfort from being watched. [What a dissapointment, I could have sworn she'd be more interesting when I heard her last night.] Yawning and turning away, he turned his attention to the window beside him and was almost dozing off when the carriage came to an abrupt halt.

"What in the world?" Inuyasha opened the door and stepped out, freezing at the sight of large stones and tracks on the road ahead. Kagome gasped, making him turn to see her with one foot on the step, halfway out beside him.

"Stay inside, Hachi and I will see to this," Inuyasha ordered, turning to run and help his driver inspect the damage.

A stage coach lay on its side a few yards away from the road, having apparently been hit by a landslide as it drove past the steep cliff above. [This damned road always was dangerous during storms] Inuyasha ran down and climbed onto the carriage. Throwing open the door, he peered in through the rain pouring down before quickly turning away from the sight. "Damnation!"

Turning to inspect the rest of the area, he hopped off the carriage, hurrying over to where Hachi struggled to help a man sit up. "What happened?"

The panting driver coughed up a bit of blood, finally managing to confirm his previous assumption, "Landslide... knocked us over... pretty bad..."

A small scream nearby made him turn and his anger rise at seeing the soaked girl sitting on the carriage door, the one he'd previously thrown open. Leaving the man with Hachi, Inuyasha ran back to the carriage and was about to grab her arm to yank her off when she moved her legs from beneath her and slid inside, ignoring his angry shouts for her to stop.

"Damned girl what the hell are you doing?!" Inuyasha climbed back up onto the carriage and looked inside, surprised to see her gently moving aside a woman's arm, toppling over a little because of her precarious perch on a couple of spots where the bodies allowed for the wood to be seen.

Her voice was terrified but determined as she looked up and asked for his help, "Please my lord, there's a boy here! He's alive, just hurt!"

Cursing beneath his breath, Inuyasha looked around for a place to stand and finding one, slid in beside her, careful of the bodies and helped her move a pair of ladies crushing a young child between them. The boy was no older than five from the looks of him, and had been saved by the very women who'd been suffocating him just moments before. When a low moan escaped the boy, Inuyasha carefully lifted him onto the side of the carriage, setting him down before turning to the girl beside him.

"These poor people," Kagome stood trembling, soaked through and pale as a ghost while her shocked eyes took in the gore surrounding her.

"We need to get out of here," Inuyasha reminded her, taking her arm gently to pull her over to him, "Let me help you up."

With a nod, she turned towards him and lifted her hands to grab onto the carriage door, allowing him to take hold of her waist and lift her up, pulling herself over to slide off the carriage while he inspected the others and made sure none were also alive. Pulling the boy from where the duke had set him, Kagome craddled him in her arms while wondering what else could be done. A few minutes later, Inuyasha climbed out of the carriage with a pained expression in his eyes.

"Come my dear, there's nothing else you can do," He silently led her up to their own vehicle, motioning for Hachi to get into his seat and get them out of there. "I'll make sure the magistrate is informed of this but we must continue, this area is still dangerous and we should be at the manor very soon."

Kagome silently agreed, surprising him by laying the boy across her seat inside the carriage, pulling one of the blankets stored beneath the seat out to cover him with before sitting down on the floor at his side. "You needn't sit on the floor, you can use the opposite seat."

"I'd prefer to remain here with him," she answered quietly, holding the boy's hand in hers. "I'm not uncomfortable."

"If you insist," Inuyasha agreed, thanking Hachi who'd untied his horse from the side of the carriage. "I'm afraid you'll have to arrive at the manor without me, I'm riding to the magistrates home which isn't too far from here to tell him of the accident. You'll be all right?"

"Certainly," Kagome assured him, seemingly non-plussed by his leaving her during the trip.

"Very well, Hachi will make sure you get home safely," without waiting for a reply, Inuyasha closed the door and motioned for them to be off, wondering abouth his friend's odd cousin while on his way to the nearby town. [Any normal young lady would have suffered a fit of the vapors at being left alone on the road like this.]

Remembering her slipping into the overturned carriage, he shook his head, slightly amused and pleased with his guest. [An interesting young lady for sure... although, I don't even think I know her name yet!] With a smirk, he urged his horse to hurry along, anxious to report the accident and go home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The question of her name was cleared up within moments of his stepping inside the doors of his manor house. Myouga, his elderly butler took his coat and immediately set about to telling him of the insufferable 'Miss Higurashi' and her ordering him about. "She ordered me to have the doctor fetced and a hot tub of water to be taken up to her room. She's bathed the boy, settled him in her bed and is now sitting beside him while the doctor looks over his injuries."

"Which are not grave my lord," the doctor's voice from the stairway snapped their attention to him. "The boy recieved a blow to the head and a sprained wrist but he will be fine. He woke and was able to give us his name, age, parents names and so on. He's asleep again, given a small dose of laudanum, and should sleep for at least another day or two. The wrist is wrapped tightly and should heal within the week."

"Thank you Charles," Inuyasha shook hands with him but promplty excused himself, explaining that he needed to go change.

"Of course, and if you could see that Miss Higurashi changes as well?" Dr Croft shook his head with a slight frown, "Quite the headstrong girl you've got there, wouldn't leave the boy to anyone's care and is still wearing her damp clothing."

"She hasn't changed?" Inuyasha sighed and agreed, "I'll speak to her."

Making his way upstairs, he knocked softly on the door before entering her room, noticing immediately her small form sitting beside the sleeping child on the bed. "He is all right?"

She nodded, eyes remaining on his face as she wiped a cloth across his forehead, "The doctor said he'd be fine."

"And he told ME that you wouldn't be fine if you didn't change," Inuyasha stopped beside her and gently pulled her from the bed. "These cold clothes will make you sick."

Suddenly noticing how very thin a woman's dress could be when wet, Inuyasha felt an uncomfortable warmth spread through him at the sight of her. That deliciously black hair hung in damp clumps down at her back, and her dress clung like a second skin, accentuating her rather nice curves. Scanning her body slowly, he noted that her breasts were too large to be fashionable, although he'd never complain about that. She had a narrow waist but not too narrow, and her hips were proportionate to her bosom, which his hand was just itching to stroke.

[Damn! I'm getting turned on by this girl without her doing anything] Inuyasha gulped and looked away, over to the wall opposite the bed where a large mirror hung. Watching her there, he listened to her soft voice.

"I'll be ok, they're drying off with the warmth of this room," Kagome felt his cold hand on her bare arm and seemed to snap out of the numb haze she'd slipped in while taking care of the boy.

"Woah!" Inuyasha slipped an arm around her waist when she suddenly seemed to crumble. "I was wondering how long you'd last."

"What?" she turned wide, confused eyes towards him and snapped out of her reverie again. "I nearly fell didn't I? Forgive me my lord, I'm sure I'll be all right now."

Carefully pulling away, she flushed in embarrassment and looked down at her hands. "Thank you for catching me, I think I'd better change now, as you should also."

"I'll leave you then, if you're sure you're all right?" Inuyasha waited a moment while she made her way over to the few trunks she'd brought and started to open one.

"I'm sure my lord, thank you," Kagome watched him leave from the corner of her eye and gave a relieved sigh once he'd gone. Realizing suddenly that her tempoorary maid had remained in London, she quickly ran to the door in time to see him closing the one next to her room. [He's next door? Who made these arrangements?]

With a shrug, she made her way over and knocked after hesitating for a moment. He promptly asked who it was, "My lord I'm sorry to bother you but..."

"Is there anything I may help you with?" Inuyasha opened the door, seemingly unaware of his lack of shoes or that his shirt was unbottoned nearly halfway down his chest.

"I'm sorry my lord, its just that I was wondering if perhaps there was a maid that could help me undress? I forgot that Claire, the girl in London who helped me, wouldn't be here when I got dressed this morning. I can't undo my dress or, um... well I can't change on my own." Kagome finished and focused on the door beside him, a light blush staining her cheeks at her near slip. [I almost told him about my corset!]

"Ah, a maid," Inuyasha frowned and stepped aside, beckoning her in, "I hadn't thought of that either."

When she cocked her head to the side and remained in the hallway, he gently took her arm and tugged her into the room. "I'm sorry to say there isn't a maid here who might be of help. I don't have any females in my staff here."

Kagome hesitantly stepped in, breathing in the strong smell of sandalwood and spices in the room, while wondering about his statement. "No females in your staff? But why ever not? Women are much better housekeepers you know, and they are said to be the ones that make a house into a home."

Inuyasha grinned, "Indeed, but I don't wish for this manor to be my home. I very rarely come here, despite its proximity to London. I only come when hosting or assisting a party, now turn around."

"Around?" Kagome blinked, innocent eyes widening in surprise. "You're not thinking of..."

"No, I'm not thinking it, I'm doing it," Inuyasha turned her body and chuckled when she clasped her arms across her chest and gasped, watching over her shoulder. "Either I help you or Myouga will. I've already explained that I don't have women working here and you need to get out of this damp dress."

"Surely you shouldn't be doing this my lord, can't a woman from town be sent for?" Kagome squeaked when his deft fingers began undoing the buttons down the back. Feeling the heat from his body at such a close distance, Kagome shivered and held her breath at his touch. When his large hands gently pushed the gown a little over her shoulders so he could reach the laces of her corset better, she gave an involuntary gasp at the first tug against the damp knot.

"I think I can do that myself," she whispered, stepping forward to move away, "Those things can be a bit tricky my lord."

He tugged at the knot and pulled her back, "I believe I know how to undo a corset my dear."

Seeing the blush that comment produced, he chuckled and continued loosening the tight lacing, "And since we've become rather close, I do believe you can stop calling me 'my lord' and try something like my name."

"I couldn't," Kagome whispered, stepping away and giving a sigh when he let her go. Holding the dress up with her clasped arms across her chest, she felt the warmth from the fireplace opposite the door on her back and shivered again. Due to their mutual state of near-undress, Kagome swallowed past the knot in her throat, feeling both vulnerable and afraid in the dark gentleman's chamber.

His voice served only to add to her trouble with its husky undertones, "Was that all I could do for you Miss... what's your real name?"

"M-my real name?" Kagome hesitated a moment, knowing it useless to lie since he'd find out as soon as Miroku came to get her. "Kagome, Kagome Higurashi at your service my lord duke."

Giving a slight curtsy, she was surprised by his laughter, "This must be the most outrageous day I've ever had! First I agree to look after you, you're late being picked up, I get rained on and find an overturned carriage on the road, promptly watching you save a child. I had a harrowing time with the magistrate and returned home to help my new guest undress."

He chuckled again and moved to the sideboard to sip his brandy, "Quite a day indeed, and its hardly time for lunch."

Kagome nodded, confused by his humor and still uncomfortable in her state of undress, "That is rather outstanding, but if I may?"

"Oh right, you're undressed," Inuyasha grabbed a nearby robe and came over, tossing it over her shoulders. "There you are, that should keep you for a moment."

"But I want to go get dressed!" Kagome pulled the robe tight with her hands, tying it in hopes it would help keep her dress in place. "This hasn't been the most normal day for me either you know. First I'm woken by Claire and told I slept in, I hurry downstairs and find myself riding alone in a carriage, waking up a few hours later to find you climbing in because of the rain. Then there was that dreadful carriage accident on the road."

Flashes of the overturned carriage, the bodies inside, followed by those of another carriage, this one bloodied and burning flooded her mind, causing her to waver where she stood, blinking away the images moments later to find herself once again with his arm around her waist. His dark amber eyes were surprisingly close as he asked if she was all right.

"All right? I-I think so," Kagome suddenly realized how close they were and tried to straighten to stand on her own. "I'm sorry, I must seem like such a ninny, nearly fainting twice."

"I must admit, it adds to the day's strangeness, but I'd be more surprised if you weren't shocked by the view you had in the carriage. You turned frighteningly pale when you were standing in it." Inuyasha led her over to the bed and had her sit down, quickly bringing over his glass of brandy. "Now here, drink this, it'll help you're wits gather again."

Silently doing as told, Kagome threw back the glass and gasped, tears coming to her eyes while she broke into a fit of coughs caused by the strong alchohol. "How can gentlemen drink such a vile concoction?"

"You're not supposed to drain the glass," Inuyasha tossed the empty thing onto the bed and watched her wheezing. "Don't tell me you'd never had a drink."

"Never," her voice was pained and angry, her eyes sparkling with indignation, "You should have told me to sip!"

"You should have had more sense than that," he smirked and patted her back, sitting beside her, "My word, you must be very young to have never drunk before."

"I'm not so very young," Kagome took another deep breath, finally feeling the worse wearing off. "I'm nineteen, certainly not so young."

"Of course not, you're just old enough to be searching for a husband," Inuyasha groaned, "Just what I need, an innocent young lady staying alone with me at Muirwood Manor."

"But no one needs to know I was here," Kagome realized what he meant, knowing if anyone found out they could be pushed into marriage. "What was Miroku thinking?"

"I was wondering that very same thing," Inuyasha sighed, hand still runing absently along her back.

"Wait, I'm not so very innocent," Kagome suddenly changed his train of thought, apparently stung by his description of her. "You make me sound like a child."

"My dear, you're barely older than a child, compared to my ripe old age of twenty four, you are undeniably an innocent girl." Inuyasha gave her a lop-sided grin, watching her anger spike again.

"I am not! I'll have you know I had drunk before, just not brandy," she turned her head hautily, "I've had champagne at New Years since I was twelve."

"Quite shocking," Inuyasha scoffed, "And what about your constant blushing? Surely only a naive young woman blushes as easily as you do."

"I don't blush so very much," Kagome frowned, knowing she had been blushing quite a bit since that morning.

"That's a lie, I've seen you blush at least three times today, and surely a more experienced woman would not have been so shocked to have a gentleman undo her dress for her."

[Ha! I've got you there!] Seeing her blush again, he let his grin widen when she agreed.

"I suppose in that sense I am inexperienced, this was my first season in London and I must admit I haven't had many encounters with men. At least, I'd never been kissed before," Kagome frowned at the memory of her first kiss.

"I don't think I should like to be kissed again either," her next comment was obviously an afterthought and meant for herself as she cursed, "Damned Kouga."

His unexpected guffaw made her turn and frown more deeply to see him lying on his back, laughing his head off. "I-I'm sorry - hahahahaha - Its just - You were kissed by Kouga? Kouga Warfield? And didn't like it? - hahahaha!"

"I don't see why that's so funny!" Kagome crossed her arms and glared at him, part of her annoyed by his laughter and another part of her struggling not to smile at his obvious glee. [Why do I get the feeling you don't laugh so freely very often?]

Finally getting a hold of himself, Inuyasha sat back up, wiping tears from his sparkling eyes. "I'm sorry about that, please forgive me, its just that Kouga and I are old rivals. He's always claimed of course, to be superior in everything and hearing you put down his abilities so freely was quite entertaining."

He chuckled and laughed a bit more, adding beneath his breath, "So the idiot can't kiss."

"No," Kagome bristled, furthur annoyed by his superior tone, "But then maybe you can't either. Perhaps he can best you at something."

At the abrupt change in his attitude, she seemed to realize what she'd said and gaped, sliding slowly away while apologizing. "I didn't mean that my lord, really I didn't! I just have a bad habit of spitting things out when angry, foolish I know but..."

A hand cut her off, covering her mouth while he leaned over her with a dangerous sparkle in his eyes. "Maybe I can't either? Dare I prove you wrong? I am after all, a known rake."

The panicked shaking of her head made a slow smile spread on his lips, "Why not Kagome? Wouldn't you like to be kissed? And I mean kissed by a real man and not by a boy like Kouga?"

When she shook her head again, moving her elbow to lean back, she let out a startled cry as it slipped and she landed on her back, making him realize their new position. "How interesting," Inuyasha lowered his hand from her mouth to cup her chin, brushing his lips softly across hers.

"This day is looking better already," he whispered, silencing any reply she might give by lowering his head to capture her mouth with his. All coherent thought escaped him then, the taste and feel of her sweet innocence serving as an intoxicating mix. Lightly touching his tongue to her closed lips, she gave a small gasp, allowing him entrance into what he was sure could only be heaven.

She tasted of honey and cinnamon, such familiar sweets but enhanced with a feminine, unique tang that had him moving his hands up and lifting her head for a better angle. His body was burning, her scent of lavender soap mixed with the taste of her mouth sending bolts of lust searing through him.

It was her tiny moan coming from the back of her throat that snapped him back to reason and reminded him of who she was. Breaking off the kiss, he moved to stand beside the bed, hands clentched as he watched her lie there panting for breath. His robe had opened and her dress had slipped a bit, allowing the soft swells of her breasts to peek out and make his blood boil hotter with need.

"Well... you definitely kiss better than Kouga," Kagome raised a shaky had to her lips, glassy eyes staring straight up at the canopy above his bead. "Was I suppsoed to be this hot after he kissed me? I'm feeling rather feverish and shaky, like I couldn't stand if I tried."

"Damnit don't say that!" Inuyasha turned away and made for the brandy, forgoing a cup and taking a swig from the decanter. "I'd suggest you go change now."

"Change?" Kagome lifted her head and gasped, closing the robe around her, "Right, how could I forget?"

Standing and making her way to the door, she trembled beneath his touch as he reached out for her arm. "Go through the other door instead, it connects directly to your room, that way you won't be seen."

"Good idea," hurrying over, Kagome quickly closed the door behind her and sighed, wondering what had just happened. [Dear lord he was lying over me on his bed and he kissed me!]

Numbly making her way over to the trunks, she changed into a warm day dress and set about the task of brushing her tangled hair out. Thoughts of their conversation and kiss swirling in her mind.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~


"Miss Higurashi your lordship," Myouga closed the door behind her, a sour look upon his face that made Kagome giggle.

"Myouga amuses you?" Inuyasha asked, moving from the fireplace to stand in front of his desk, leaning against it casually and seemingly wanting to ignore their earlier meeting. "How very odd."

Kagome shook her head and took a few steps forward, stopping beside one of the chairs near him, "He's so huffy about a female ordering him about, its rather endearing to see such a grumpy old coot."

"Old coot?" Inuyasha smirked, setting down his brandy and crossing his arms in front of his chest, "Not the language a young lady of the TON would normally use."

Kagome blushed, looking away towards the crackling fireplace, "I'm sorry, its just that I wasn't raised to be one of those perfect dolls. We country girls speak more casually about some things, including grumpy old coots like Myouga. I didn't mean to offend."

Inuyasha watched her closely, surprised to find himself enjoying this strange conversation. Surely no young lady he'd ever spoken to had been this forward or uninhibited, they knew better than to express their opinions, yet she obviously didn't. Which only added to her appeal.

Realizing he'd been asked a question, he snapped out of his thoughts and was surprised to see she'd moved over to his bookshelf. "I beg your pardon?"

She gave a small laugh and set the book in her hands back, "That's all right, I'd forgotten how unladylike it was for me to read such things since Miroku and I discuss them all the time."

"I'm afraid my mind had run off with me, I hadn't heard the question," Inuyasha came over to stand beside her. "Shakespeare? You've read his works?"

"Of course!" Kagome's expression beamed, her wide brown eyes and pretty lips capturing him with her smile. "I'm quite fond of a few of the plays, of course, Romeo and Juliet..."

"Of course," his eyes rolled a bit, interest dulling at her mentioning his least favorite play. That interest quickly returned when she continued.

"Although its not one of my favorites to be honest, I much prefer Hamlet. Macbeth was certainly interesting but a bit heavy, and Othello I couldn't get a copy of." She sighed, running her fingers along the bindings of the books. "Such a collection you have my lord, and I'm that sure like most men, you hardly take time to enjoy it, correct?"

"Quite, I'm ashamed to say I have them all and I've read about half. Othello's interesting and all, but I agree about not preferring Romeo and Juliet. My favorite of the plays is Hamlet." Inuyasha pulled out the nearly new copy and frowned. "I think I've opened this once before now."

Kagome tsked playfully and took out one of the comedies, "And this would be my favorite of his comedies."

Inuyasha read the title out loud, "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream? I don't believe I've read it."

"But you must! Really, it has the most encanting characters," Kagome handed it to him with a small laugh, "And I mean enchanting in the literal sense."

Inuyasa nodded, "Very well, but since I will have to do some reading over the next few days, so shall you."

Putting away Hamlet and looking through the rest of the volumes, he finally found his favorite and pulled it out, handing it over to her. "The Taming of the Shrew?"

Kagome opened it and read a bit of the first page, closing it with a smile. "Very well, I'll make sure to read quickly so I can finish it by the time I leave."

Seeming to remember why she came suddenly, she held the book in front of her and gave a shy smile. "Actually I came down to give you my thanks for allowing me to stay here. Miroku was in quite a hurry to go and I'm sure you must not have been too keen on having a young lady staying at your manor like this."

"To be honest, I was just worried about your reputation," Inuyasha leaned against the shelf.

She realized what he meant and bit her lip, "We're unchaperoned."

"Exactly, sharing a house with a man unchaperoned can be quite the black marker on a girl's reputation." Inuyasha reminded her, his burning eyes bringing the memory of the reason for that back to mind.

She nodded, biting her lip in a rather endearing way that had him wanting to kiss her again. [What was Miroku thinking? Its no wonder he told me to behave, she might be from the country but she's temptation in carnate.] With a sweeping glance, he took in her features and found himself closing his hands around the book in an attempt to keep them off. [Damned Miroku, he owes me big for this one. The nerve of him, leaving me his cousin to look over when he knew damned well there would be an interesting party at Naraku's tonight.]

Remembering the invitation he'd recieved to the event, he wondered if he'd be able to make an appearance despite his house guest. [She won't even realize I'm gone since its late tonight. I could be gone and back before dawn, without her ever knowing, and that way I could be rid of this damned lust. Surely a night of wild partying will keep me sated enough to endure the rest of her visit in peace.]

"I'll worry about my reputation later, I'd best be going my lord," her voice once again brought him out of his thoughts and made him realize she was moving away.

"May I ask where you plan on spending the rest of the day? Its still early you know," Inuyasha followed her to the doorway.

"Upstairs in my room of course, what if Shippo wakes up and finds himself all alone?" Kagome reached the door, "I wouldn't want him frightened any more, the poor thing."

"Right, the boy," Inuyasha sighed, "Whatever shall I do with a boy?"

"Oh don't worry, he's my responsibility," Kagome quickly assured him, "I've decided to take him in, mother won't mind and he can be good company for my younger brother."

"What about your father? Won't he mind?" Inuyasha immediately regretted his words as her smile fell, leaving a very sad expression on her face.

"My father died nine years ago," Kagome fought back tears for a second before excusing herself quietly. "I really should be with Shippo."

"Of course," Inuyasha surprised them both suddenly, reaching out for her hand to make her turn towards him. They stood only a foot apart, and he vaguely picked up on that soft lavender smell coming from her. "I'm sorry to have brought up such a painful subject"

"Its all right, you didn't know about my father," She smiled softly again, slowly removing her hand from his. "I must go, if you'll excuse me?"

"I'll leave you until lunch but you must join me then," Inuyasha released her and stepped back, adding with a grin, "If you need anything, let that old coot know and he'll make sure you have it."

That made her laugh, the same laugh that had cuaght his ear the night before and sent a shiver down his spine. "I'll do that my lord."

After she'd closed the door behind her, Inuyasha made his way over to his desk, wondering how he could find such an innocent girl so damned tempting. [She's certainly not nearly as whimsical as Miroku led me to believe, the idiot.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------



Don't forget to leave a review again! See you next time!

Next chapter's title - The Invitation (Yes, we finally get to the summary's teasers)