InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Start ❯ Sweet and Sour ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and I in no way gain any profit from writing this story. Inuyasha and co. belong to Rumiko Takahashi. I OWN NOTHING!!!!
 
 
Sweet and Sour~**~**
 
Kagome started to prepare rabbit stew for breakfast the next morning. Inuyasha and Shippo both spent most of the time around Kagome, trying to sneak taste tests, only to be met with a wooden spoon on the hand. Sango and Miroku couldn't help but find it amusing that Inuyasha and Shippo were working together. Kagome had obviously figured out what was going on and resolved it, but had she just made things harder on herself? They had to wonder. They had devised a plot where while one of them distracted her, the other eats some from the cooking pot.
 
Kagome looked so perplexed when she was finally done that the pot had lost a considerable amount of volume. Inuyasha and Shippo could only look at one another and snigger.
 
Kagome merely shook her head in exasperation and pulled out a small, book like object with glossy pages and every other page was either a picture, or a bunch of boxes with numbers in them. “Whassat?” Inuyasha requested. She smiled and marked off one of the boxes with an odd looking brush with a cap.
 
“It's a calendar. It helps me keep track of the days.” She replied nonchalantly. Inuyasha pointed to a box a couple rows down that was circled red with the letters “SP” (*) on it. “What's that for?” she immediately froze, and blushed a scientifically impossible shade of red. “N-nothing…” She stuttered.
 
“Okay…” he smiled as he ran off to play with the ball, which Shippo had been so kind as to give back.
 
As the day wore on, she couldn't help worrying. There was a huge test coming up in a couple days and she needed to study, but she couldn't leave Inuyasha here. He got into enough trouble as an adult, who knows what might happen as a child. There was only one thing she could do. She took in a deep breath.
 
“Inuyasha!” she called, and with amazing swiftness he was in front of her.
 
“Yes `Gome?” He sang happily.
 
“How would you like to go to where I live for a few days?” She offered, amused at his attempt to say her name. He tilted his head to the side in thought.
 
“Can Shippo come?” he asked politely. Kagome shook her head sadly.
 
“No, but you can play with my little brother while you're there.” Suggested the over-worked teen. The boy's eyes lit up in enthusiasm and he even hopped a bit, “Okay! Awesome!” Kagome sighed on relief.
 
“We can leave right now.” She said, grabbing her big, yellow bag. Kaede stopped her on her way out.
 
“Take these with you child,” the old priestess ordered as she placed an earring in her hand. It was silver, with a black gem sphere at the end. “It will hide Inuyasha's ears as long as it is in.” Kagome nodded and quickly thanked her, shoving the earring into her pocket. It certainly was a lot harder to carry her backpack without her full grown Inuyasha to help.
 
Kagome pointed to the well and ushered him in. He looked apprehensive about jumping in, so she let him on her back and jumped in. He was dumbstruck by the radiant blue light that shrouded them suddenly. Inuyasha jumped out of the well in one fell swoop, while she climbed up slowly.
 
“Hurry up `Gome!” He goaded her.
 
“I'm moving as fast as I can Inu-chan.” She panted as she ascended the last steps of the ladder. She led him out of the well house and outside. Inuyasha looked around in astonishment, things looked so different! There was no forest, just a shrine and house. He looked at her mystified.
 
“Where did it all go?” he asked sadly, “The forest is gone…” She pouted too.
 
“I know, its weird without trees, but this is the future, 500 years from your time.” She explained. His head pointed up and he took a few small sniffs before saying, “It smells weird here… like it's not… clean…” Kagome nodded in agreement. “I know, but it's the future.”
 
Kagome slid open the doors to her house calling, “Tadaima!” She was instantaneously answered by her mother.
 
“Hello dear, I'm in the kitchen!” Kagome grinned at Inuyasha. “My mother.”
 
She came into the kitchen. “Mom I have so news for you.” Her mother put down what she was doing and turned around swiftly.
 
“Oh my goodness, you're pregnant!” She squealed happily.
 
“Yes…WAIT! WHAT? NO!! Why in the world would you just assume that!?!?”
She choked. Inuyasha just giggled at her mother.
 
“Heh heh, silly! `Gome can't be pupped. She's never been mated.” Inuyasha stated very matter-of-factly. Both women froze. Kagome at the realization of what he had just said and Mrs.Higurashi at that and the fact Inuyasha had shrunk almost 2 and half feet.
 
“My goodness, what happened to him?” She insisted. Kagome laughed nervously.
 
“Well, nobody is entirely sure at the moment. For now we know he has turned into a 5 year old child, both physically and mentally, though the last statement is beginning to make me wonder. ”
 
“So why are you back?” her mother asked, resuming her vegetable cleaning.
 
“Ugh, tests!” she groaned and headed up to her room to commence her cramming. Inuyasha looked over to Mrs. Higurashi, who smiled. “Would you like to help me?” she inquired. He smiled and said “Yes, ma'am!” Kagome's mother tittered merrily; he was so polite and A-DO-RA-BLE!!!
 
She handed him a light green bowl with cookie mix in it. “Just stir until it's all one.” He began mixing blissfully, however too hard and it spilled onto his clothes and onto her counters and floor. She looked at him a giggled; he looked like a little boy, caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
 
“I'm sorry!” He confessed. She raised her ladle she'd be using to stir rice with and walked over to him, not considering what she was doing. Smiling nostalgically, she advanced, but he didn't see that, he saw the ladle, big and menacing. As she came within inches of him, he flinched.
 
“Honey? What's wrong? Why are you doing that?” Kagome's mother saw him open one eye and look at the serving spoon. She gasped as she realized he thought she was going to hit him. She lowered the spoon and set it on the counter top.
 
“Poor dear, I'm not going to hurt you. I wouldn't dream of striking you.” She saw him breathe a sigh of relief. “It's just a little spill; try not to stir too hard.” She told him, helping him take hold of the bowl and spoon. She helped him stir a couple times. “There, that's how you do it.” She taught, and then went about cleaning the spilt flour. After she was done wiping up the mess she went back to whisking the rice.
 
“Dear, would you mind telling me if your mother hit you?” She looked over her shoulder. He shook his head, “No, mamma only hurt me when I climbed the tall tree in the middle of the castle.” Mrs. Higurashi was confused. “You lived in a castle?” He nodded. “Yup! Mamma was the lady. She said my daddy was Inu no Taisho or sum thin…”
 
“You're nobility?” She inquired. He gave her a weird look and asked, “Whassat?” Kagome's mother tried to explain it simply. “Well some families are more important than others where you're from.” He seemed to understand. “Mamma was important, but her family didn't like her cause ah me… I think.” She let that subject drop.
 
“Was it your father who hit you?” He shook his head again. “No, I never saw my daddy. Mamma said he was brave and strong and he died to save us.” She never realized his father was dead. “So where is your mother now?” asked quietly. He fell silent, and then saw him try his best to smile.
 
“She's in heaven.” He explicated. “Hmm…” She regarded sadly. “So who hit you?” He paused for a couple seconds.
 
“The others in the castle hurt me. I hated the old lady near us. One time, I was playing her garden and she whipped me until it didn't hurt any more.” He grumbled. “Oban!” He growled, while Kagome's mother gasped at the fact that he was this little and swore!
 
He remembered walking back into the hut and having his mother hug him only to have her draw back in horror as she saw the blood that had soaked into her white yukata from his kariginu, she'd practically fainted in terror and he never went near the old woman again. She decided any more questions might make her cry. She was already fighting back tears. How could anyone be so heartless as to beat such a young child? A sudden voice broke her from her thoughts.
 
“Umm, Mrs. Kagome's mamma… Why are you sad?” The innocent little hanyou asked. “Nothing…” she said, quickly wiping the tears from her eyes.
 
“Hmm, I think it's done.” He announced, pointing to the cookie batter. She smiled and nodded, “Yes, it is.” She confirmed and took it away, putting it in piles on a shiny pan. “You can lick the spoon dear.” He took it from her and gleefully licked it with vigor.
 
“What is this stuff?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi smiled contently, “Cookie dough. It will be done cooking in about 15 minutes.” Dinner was ready, save for the cookies. Kagome's mother saw Inuyasha still had flour and eggs splattered on his kimono and helped him down to the ground.
 
“Why don't we get you something clean to wear?” She suggested. He consented and she took him into Souta's room, which was currently studying at a friend's house, but due back any minute. Hikaru Higurashi was glad she had never thrown away all of Souta's clothes from when he was younger.
 
Inuyasha looked at her curiously as she dug through her son's closet. He decided to help and began pushing random objects to the side, a football, soccer ball, an old action figure. He stopped, seeing a glossy book out of the corner of his eye and picked it up.
 
“EWW!” He practically screamed, snapping Hikaru's attention completely. He held the book out to her asking, “Why are there naked girls in this scroll?!” She gasped, she knew any boy Souta's age could be in possession of such books, but it didn't make it any less of a surprise. She snatched it from his hands and stuffed it into her apron. Hikaru would talk to her son later.
 
Kagome's mother had managed to pick out some clothes for little Inuyasha. She pulled him into her room and told him to undress and put the clothes on. She smiled at how cute he looked in a little red shirt and faded jeans. He'd had a little trouble on how to put it on, but nothing major, just the direction of the shirt. After he was dressed she proceeded to walk down and check the cookies, but was stopped by a tugging on her dress.
 
“Umm, is this it?” He inquired. She nodded, knowing how odd it must be with only one layer of clothes, excluding boxers, instead of two heavy kimonos.
 
“Oh, okay.” The shirt was okay, but kind of tight. He wanted to complain about the pants, they squeezed in all the wrong places, but Kagome's mother seemed so happy to see him in these that he couldn't. He didn't want to fight, not after all the times he had made her mother mad by not doing his lessons or getting into trouble. He wanted his time with these people to be nice. He promised himself he would be good for them, as good as he could be!
 
He smiled then ran to where he smelled Kagome. She was currently over a history book, looking like she was about to cry from fatigue. He jumped onto her desk blithely, sitting to her left. “Hey, Inu-chan…” she said depressed.
 
“I'm never going to memorize this all in two days!” He pouted at her sympathetically.
 
“Sure ya can!” the little boy cheered, “I'll help you!” She laughed and noticed he had new clothes.
 
“Did my mom give you those?” she asked, and received a nod. “How can you help me?” she wondered. He looked down at the book and to her absolute shock, began to read.
 
“Hitler came into rule of Germany in the early 1900s and in…i…tiated the Nazis… One little girl by the name of Anne Frank died in a con…. Conce-concentra…tion camp after living in hiding for two years. Her father later recovered her diary from their hide out…”
 
“That's amazing!” she interrupted. He gave her a weird look. “The fact that you can read! I never knew you could do that.”
 
“Yup! Mamma taught me. She also teached me numbers!” Kagome was astounded that a child so young could understand how to read and use numbers.
 
“Taught.” Corrected a voice from outside the bedroom. Kagome's mother appeared from behind the door. “Dinner is ready.” All three headed down to see Souta had come home.
 
“Hey sis!” he greeted her kindly. “Whoa! What happened to Inuyasha?” he inquired; seeing the chibified version of his hero.
 
Kagome shrugged. “I just found him like this.”
 
“Are those my old clothes?” Inuyasha smiled and nodded.
 
“Souta-kun? Why did you have a book with naked girls in it?” He asked innocently. Souta did a wonderful impression of a tomato.
 
Kagome sputtered and laughed. “You found that in his closet?!” Inuyasha nodded, not getting what was so funny.
 
Kagome's grandfather finally came out to see little Inuyasha. “Another demon!” He exclaimed as he pulled out a sutra. “Stop gramps! It's Inuyasha, only smaller.”
 
“The demon boy has a son?” He asked, still not understanding
 
“No! This is Inuyasha!” she clarified, “He's just a little kid now for some odd reason.”
 
The evening went fairly smoothly. Souta had a long talk with his mom and afterwards he crashed, embarrassed and tired. Kagome's mother had been shocked to find out her daughter was still a virgin. Had she been in her place, she probably would have jumped the dashing hanyou.
 
She would have thought the two would have at least tried it once, but then again, he was from a different era, one where that was probably unacceptable. She had hoped for the longest time for a dog-eared grandchild, and she knew the two loved each other, even if they were too thick to admit it. Seeing Inuyasha like a child only made her wish more. He was so darned cute! She also wondered how in the world Inuyasha knew her daughter was a virgin… His sense of smell? Did they smell different? Ah well, she didn't have time to worry about that she decided and got ready for bed.
 
Inuyasha had also had an eventful day and while Kagome studied, he had fallen asleep in her bed, snuggled deep within the covers. Kagome smiled, trying to hold back a scream of `HOW CUTE!'
 
She grabbed the camera from her nightstand and took a couple pictures to remember the cuteness forever. She then changed, seeing it was safe with him asleep. She wondered, `Would he remember anything that happened if he turned back to normal?'
 
Kagome decided it was too late to think about stuff like that and crawled into bed next to him. He almost immediately began to snuggle into her warmth. She petted his ears gently, silently wishing for him to turn back to normal, for the Inuyasha she knew to come back so she could apologize to him for what she'd said. Sure, he was cuter than all hell right now, but she loved him, and this was just making things weird…
 
Inuyasha's Dream~**~**
 
The world was fuzzy as his eyes opened to the midday sun. He had fallen asleep! He quickly sniffed back and forth, ears twitching every which way. Everyone was safe, he sighed in relief. A few sudden grunts of effort caught his attention. He stood up and walked over to see what the fuss was about.
 
She was reaching up to at tree, trying to get an apple that was just centimeters away from her grasp. He snickered and walked over to her.
 
“Having a bit of trouble are you?” He pointed out in his gruff voice.
 
She looked at him exasperatedly, “Yeah, if you haven't noticed while you snoozed.” He looked like he'd taken a blow at that remark.
 
He felt like saying something sarcastic, but bit his tongue. Instead he picked Kagome up by the waist, hauling her onto his shoulder, so she was sitting on one side of him, while her balanced her with his strong hands.
 
She had nearly squealed in surprise at the feeling of strong hands gripping her waist, but seeing what he was doing, smiled down at him and began picking apples from the tree…And he did something even he hadn't expected to do… Smile…
 
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
* If you're a girl, you'll understand it.
 
A/N: Hiyas people! Sorry it took me so long to upload this chapter. I share a computer and they didn't feel like sharing today. Tell me what you think ^_^ Also, if you have any ideas for Shippo/Inuyasha pranks, please feel free to tell me. Until next time!
 
P.S. Off topic really, but has anyone played the game Okami? You know, the epic tale of a wolf god more praise hungry than a politician? If you haven't, you must go to your nearest game store and buy it/ borrow it! I just finished it! So beautiful, though some of it makes you go WTF?!? Oh and because I want to be careful, I DON'T OWN OKAMI! CLOVER STUDIOS AND CAPCOM DO!