InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Start ❯ Fathers ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and I in no way gain any profit from writing this story. Inuyasha and co. belong to Rumiko Takahashi. I OWN NOTHING!!!!
 
 
Fathers~**~**
 
Kagome woke early, but Inuyasha was still sound asleep. Feeling courageous, she kissed him softly on the cheek before leaving for the shower, then to school, completely stressed about the test.
 
Inuyasha woke up a few hours after Souta and his sister had left, curious and confused. `Where's Kagome-chan?' he wondered and jumped out of bed, only to be met with an intense shooting pain in his head. “Itai!” he groaned and held his head for a second, regaining his balance.
 
He headed downstairs, following Kagome's last scent trail, about 3 hours old. He found Kagome's mother downstairs, watching the box with moving pictures.
 
“Whacha watching?” he asked curiously, leaning over the couch.
 
She was a bit surprised by him. “Dr. Phil.” She answered.
 
“Whassat?” he inquired, as he climbed over the couch and sat next to Hikaru.
 
She never looked away from the TV as she explained. “Well, he helps people with their relationship and life problems. These people on now are troubled because a husband cheated on his wife. He's conflicted and his wife loves him, but the other woman doesn't. Yet he still cheats.”
 
Inuyasha seemed to grasp it and said, “That's just stupid. If he were a dog demon, he'd be killed, `cause you're never supposed to be with anyone but your mate! Unless they die, then they can mate gain.”
 
“Oh really?” She was intrigued by this, “How do you know if a mate has been unfaithful?”
 
He laughed, “That's easy! They'd smell different. Like the other one. I'd never do that!” he declared proudly. Kagome's mother couldn't help but find the irony.
 
“How are you so sure?” she questioned.
 
He smiled, “Because I'll never mate.” He grinned, but she saw the pain behind it. Even as a child he knew, no one would ever love him. “Nobody can love a half-demon like that.”
 
“Why do you say that?” Hikaru wondered.
 
“Because I'm a half-demon. I'm disgusting, and everyone but you guys wants me dead.” He explained simply.
 
Kagome's mother wrapped an arm around the poor child, saying, “You'll always be wanted by us, you mean a lot to all of us.”
 
He gave her the biggest, most fangy grin she'd ever seen, making her smile too. “Thanks Mrs. Kagome's mamma.”
 
“Please, you can call me mamma, if you're comfortable with it.” She assured, she found his long name for her amusing, but a mouthful.
 
He nodded against her side, “Kay Mamma…” He blushed.
 
After watching the guy get chewed out by a man with grey hair and unique voice, he decided to explore. He wandered around the hallways, looking the old man's room, but a sudden nasty smell of bad cologne warded him off. Kagome's room was next. He began looking through drawers not finding anything of much interest, except a drawer of her under clothes. He couldn't for the life of him figure out what would possess a woman to wear such scratchy looking underclothes as the lacy one's he found. He also found a drawer of odd looking lacy things with straps and two catches for something. It smelled like Kagome, but where did it go?
 
He'd have to ask her later. The very last and most bottom drawers of hers held a bunch of junk, books and pictures. He noticed most of them were of him, just older. One was of him with a large sword over his shoulder, striking a smug and strapping pose. One was of him sleeping peacefully, another him human, a group picture… and one of him shirtless? It looked worn, like it had been handled a lot and smelled odd. He tried to place the scent, and all he could come up with was the scent of his mother during certain times of the month, when she went into heat and thought about his daddy. But this was much more intense. He wondered why, but just for a moment before putting it all back and downstairs again, deciding to skip Souta's room in case he had any more naked-girl books. `Yuck!' the tiny hanyou thought as he stuck out his tongue in emphasis.
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
His next adventure started in the kitchen as he saw a kitty! He'd smelled it everywhere, but hadn't seen it yet. It immediately gave chase and he followed it outside, yapping after it. He knew he was faster, but it would be more fun to let it run first. Besides, it was fat! It needed the exercise, he concluded. In his bliss, he never noticed his front legs coming into use, nor that fur was covering his body. All he knew was that he was having a blast!
 
Finally, he decided to give the cat some peace and leaped, tackling poor Buyo to the ground, yowling and hissing. Hikaru had finally noticed the uproar and ran outside to see an oversized puppy with its butt in the air, wagging its tail in delight as the defenseless feline tried to protect it's self.
 
The dogs eyes were amber and a purple streak ran down either cheek, ending just over the mouth. Other than that, it was pure white and had the softest looking fur in existence. “Inuyasha?” she asked, perplexed.
 
The large puppy's attention snapped to her. He barked happily, panting lightly, then started to shrink, fur reverting into skin and robe and his body coming back into regular shape. “Hi Mamma! I was chasing the kitty-cat! He's slow!!!” he shouted delightedly.
 
“Yes, I know” She shook her head, laughing silently at him, and then led him inside to let Buyo rest. “So, Inu-chan.” Mrs. Higurashi started as she sat by the table, “I never knew you could turn into a dog.” He grinned toothily.
 
“Yup, I'm half dog!” He made known the obvious and tweaked one of his ears adorably. Inuyasha looked to the living room and saw a picture he hadn't noticed before. It was a man holding Kagome by the arms and swinging her around playfully as her skirt blew in the wind by the Goshinboku. He reached for it, and carried it over to Mrs. Higurashi.
 
“Who's he?” He pointed to the man holding Kagome. He looked quite a bit like Souta.
 
“He's my husband.” She replied sadly. “He died about eleven years ago.” Inuyasha looked at her understandingly.
 
“How?”
 
She sighed heavily, remembering the horrible day.
 
Flashback~**~**
 
“Takeshi!! I can't believe you forgot our anniversary! You jerk!” a younger Hikaru yelled across the shrine, baby Souta in arm. It was only them and their children.
 
In a far off corner of the shrine, a frazzled young man was talking to his six-year-old daughter.
 
“Please Kagome, come with me. I know your mother is mad at me but I really didn't forget!” He began to whisper what had happened into her ear. Her eyes lit up, and she nodded.
 
“Good girl! Now let's get going before she finds me.” He concluded nervously.
 
Both of them climbed into the car and drove away just as Hikaru came out with a broom yelling, “You're dead meat Takeshi! Wait'll you come home!”
 
Kagome's father wiped the sweat from his brow, sighing in relief. His wife was scary sometimes, but he loved her all the same. They stopped at a store and she saw her dad pick up a small box, then came back in and they headed home.
 
He winked at her, “When your mother and I met, we didn't have much money, so we got a ring without real diamonds, just little fake ones. A few weeks ago, I took her old ring; making her believe it fell down the drain, remember.” Kagome nodded, her mother had been so broken up over it, and was just getting over the ordeal.
 
“Well, in that box, is your mother's ring. With real diamonds and repaired! It just took longer than expected to get it fixed.” Kagome opened the box, it was beautiful! Her mother's ring shone brighter than before. She couldn't wait to have a husband to do cool stuff like this for her. She could just see the look on her mommy's face when she opened it.
 
Then it happened… the car swerved, a horn honked, and a crash like nearby thunder suddenly came in the blink of an eye. Kagome's world went black as she saw her father smiling sadly, she clutched the ring in her hand for dear life.
 
Kagome woke up in the hospital a day later with her mom at her side, crying hysterically. Kagome saw the box in her hand…
 
“Mamma…?” she said quietly, her throat was really dry. “Oh Kagome!!!” she cried with happiness and sorrow at the same time. The ring was on her finger.
 
“Whe-where's daddy? What happened?” She asked, but her mother only started to cry harder.
 
“Honey there was an accident…I'm so sorry!” she sobbed, “If I hadn't gotten so mad at him he wouldn't have left!” Kagome realized what happened…
 
“N-NO! Daddy isn't dead!!” she whined hopelessly, “He can't be!”
 
Her mother pulled her into a tight hug, “I'm sorry…it's all my fault…” she bawled, “But honey, he died to save you... If he hadn't thrown himself in front of you, you would have died…” She and her daughter stayed like that for a long time, wondering what they would do now… now that he was gone…
 
End Flashback~**~**
 
Inuyasha had his head lowered in honor of the man who had saved Kagome-chan. “I'm sorry…” He whimpered. She only put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“It's okay. I've needed to say that for a long time…” she confessed wiping her eyes with a finger.
 
“'Gome and I do have something in common.”
 
Hikaru smiled and asked what.
 
“Both our daddies died to save us.”
 
Hikaru smiled and nodded. She knew, even as a child, he would probably die before he saw Kagome get hurt…
 
Inuyasha sighed longingly as he looked at Hikaru, “Kagome-chan is lucky to still have a mommy…” He muttered quietly. “You're really nice, like my Mamma was.” Mrs. Higurashi knew it was a touchy subject, but she guessed he had never told anybody what had happened. Even as an adult.
 
“Do you want to tell me what happened?” She inquired gently.
 
His little head lowered and he shook it. He wasn't ready to talk about his Mamma… He missed her terribly… He felt so guilty… It was his fault she was killed, if he'd never been born, his mamma would be alive and well.
 
He hopped down from the chair and headed toward the door as it slid open.
 
Kagome was home…
 
 
A/N: Another chapter! I know, this one was kinda pathetic. I've always wondered where Kagome's father was, so this is one of the only things that made sense to me. Then again, he could have just been a deadbeat and ditched them, but I like death much more. You know, traumatic ^_^ Yay! Blood! *Hums happily*(Yeah, I'm just a little morbid and cruel… Just a little…)Now I know last time the urls got all messed up, so just look up my fanfiction(dot)net account, Fullmetal chibi-chan. You'll find the direct links there on my profile. Sorry for all the inconveniences.