InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Start ❯ One the Road Aagin ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

On The Road Again~**~**
Things were uncomfortable to say the least. Kagome had hoped that the solution would be easy and she would have her Inuyasha back. Inuyasha however, wanted to be a kid and it was her fault. Not to mention the gypsy had told her basically nothing about how to get him back! She looked at him, but he refused to make eye contact. She knew he was avoiding her.
He didn't remember the memory of the fight, but he remembered how mad he'd been, how betrayed and crushed he'd felt. Sango felt it was kind of ironic; she'd been having a similar problem with her brother regarding his memories of his murdering of their parents. Both now knew how the other felt, Kagome and Sango.
Inuyasha felt as if he'd betrayed Kagome, wanting to be happy and little, without those feelings. He could tell from the way Kagome looked at him, had talked about him, and treated him that she was in love with his older self. He knew it was inconsiderate and selfish of him to do this but he wanted to be happy! He wanted to forget about his mamma's death and be carefree again… to be innocent… something he knew he would never achieve.
He couldn't help but wonder if he had made the right choice, what if he was happier as an adult? What if he was in love with her too? The words of his mother echoed in his head, haunting him… “You'll find a girl to who loves you. She'll love every bit of you, especially your ears.” What if Kagome was that woman? Oh gods he was so confused!
 
It wasn't until early noon that Kagome stood up and said, “Well we can't just sit here forever, let's get this show on the road!” she grabbed her bag and put it over her shoulder. She looked back at her companions, “There are still more jewel shards to be found.” The others nodded in agreement and began to pack their things quickly.
 
After three years or so of being with Inuyasha and his impatience they had mastered the art of speed packing. Current Inuyasha looked confused and cautiously got up, trying to decide whether she meant for him to go with them or stay. The others bid Kaede farewell and walked out. Inuyasha stood out in the road, befuddled, watching them walk.
 
Suddenly Kagome turned around, waving at him to hurry up, “C'mon Inu-kun! What's the hold up?” He perked up and leaped to action.
 
“Get the lead out!” goaded Shippo, smiling benevolently. Inuyasha went down on all fours for a second, running and used it to his advantage, hurdling in the air and landing perfectly on her backpack with a soft thump, proud his own agility.
 
“Showoff…” Shippo muttered as he rolled his eyes.
 
Inuyasha just smiled, “Aw c'mon Chibi-chan, don't be a sourpuss! Err-Sour kit!” He corrected, rubbing his head in slight embarrassment. Sango and Miroku looked at each other incredulously. They wouldn't have ever thought there was a time in Inuyasha's life that he'd ever made a joke that wasn't extremely offensive to the point where nobody liked it but him.
 
Kagome giggled at Inuyasha's new name for Shippo, who looked tremendously offended. Not only was Inuyasha younger than Shippo at the moment, but he was taller than Shippo by about a foot.
 
“Don't call me that dog-boy!” he glared, Inuyasha glowered back jokingly.
 
“What's wrong Shorty? Don't like being called Chibi-chan?” He asked bitterly. He hated when people called him dog-boy! The list of names was extensive. Dog-boy, hybrid, half-breed, bastard, puppy, monster, hell spawn, dog breath, Dirty Blooded, dog shit; hell, dog anything!
 
Not to mention his father just had to make his life even worse with his actual name, Inuyasha. He couldn't count the times that the castle boys called him a bitch! Damnit! His name meant dog forest spirit, not female dog demon!!! The village boys had even forced him into the girls' hot springs one time for a cruel joke.
 
Kagome decided to stop this before it went any farther. “Stop, both of you.” She reprimanded both boys. “I don't want you to call each other names, got it?” Both gulped at her demand and nodded fearfully, Kagome's tone was stern and authoritative.
 
“Yes, ma'am!” Both saluted in unison, then looked to each other, trying to hold back their laughter. It was Kagome who cracked first as peals of joyous laughter erupted from her and soon everyone had joined in.
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**
 
 
After hours of traveling the decided to set up camp. Inuyasha and Shippo smiled as they helped Sango with dinner, both began a rivalry over who was more helpful, though they never spoke it; they both knew the challenge was there. The little hanyou decided the taijiya wasn't so bad. She was demanding at times and her temper was something to be reckoned with, or at least if you were the monk. He couldn't understand why the houshi inflicted such pain upon himself. Why did he insist on groping the poor woman every chance he got when he knew that she would beat him to pulp?
 
Even being a child, he knew from the horror his mother went through that no man should touch a woman if she didn't want it! He still didn't understand exactly what had happened to his mother, but he knew, deep down in his core that it was the worst violation that could have happened to her and that had happened to her…Ever.
 
It made him uncomfortable seeing him do that, it scratched hard at that deep wound that had just started to heal. Inuyasha felt a dislike to the monk, though he knew he was their friend. As Inuyasha stoked the fire he heard a shriek from Kagome across camp who was reading a book.
 
A large math text book was lying near Miroku's head as he lay on the ground stunned. Her face was bright red and Sango looked like she was going to blow up. He sat up laughing embarrassedly, “Heh heh, this cursed hand…” Inuyasha growling loudly. That was the last straw. Within seconds he was upon the houshi.
 
The last thing he'd expected was a 5 year old half demon to slug him. Inuyasha had hit Miroku in the face with all his might, “STOP TOUCHING THEM!!!” The little boy screamed, “THEY DON'T LIKE IT!!! KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!!” Miroku had a river of blood from his nose. Sango finally got over her shock and wrenched the hanyou from her fiancé. Inuyasha flailed like a fish in her grasp, growling and clawing in Miroku's direction.
 
“Inuyasha!!! Stop it!!” Kagome ordered, “Why did you attack him like that?!” She'd only seen that kind of fury in him when he talked of Naraku.
 
“He touched you without your permission!!!” He snarled, “IT'S NOT RIGHT!!!” Kagome motioned for Sango to let him down as she walked toward them. She kneeled down to his level, looking him straight in the eyes, holding him firmly by the shoulders. A deep hurt was concealed in those heartbreaking amber eyes.
 
`Why does he have such a thing about touching? Sure, I don't like it, but this is extreme… wait…' A tear streamed down her cheek as Kagome realized what could have happened.
 
`Oh god… She was… He saw… Oh kami…' Kagome pulled him into her arms as a wave of disgust ran through her at the thought. He'd always had a thing about contact. She knew he was uncomfortable in close contact and especially hated it when someone touched her, even something as simple as touching her hand. She had always just believed he was possessive… But what if he was just trying to protect her?… Protect her from his mother's fate?
 
It was true; the first fear that had come to her when Kouga had kidnapped her was that he would violate her, though now she doubted he would dare do something like that. However, the fear would always be there, unlike with Miroku. No matter how much he advanced on a woman, he would never take advantage of one. Inuyasha as she knew him had never even displayed that he had a drive, excluding the rare and she had to admit, accidental hot spring incidents.
 
He'd made sure to never make her feel threatened. She felt him shake in her embrace. She looked at him. He was biting his lip, trying to hold back tears of fury, clenching his fists so hard, blood began to drip.
 
Miroku looked over at Kagome and Inuyasha. Never had Inuyasha had been that violent to him. True, he'd punched him in the shoulder, or whacked him in the head, but the face punch was personal. Miroku could only speculate the reason for the boy's actions and the prospects were grim.
 
Sango realized what his actions meant immediately. Inuyasha did not talk about his past, nor did anyone try to coax it out of him. His behavior made sense now, why he always distanced himself, why he hated to be close to anyone, why he never talked
 
The night went by quite uneasily. Even Shippo was unnaturally quiet. Both boys snuggled with Kagome during the night while Sango and Kirara cuddled happily, leaving Miroku in the proverbial dog house.
 
The next morning was a bit more peaceful. Miroku's cheek was an ugly purple with four little scratches and his nose was swollen. Inuyasha felt a bit guilty, seeing the damage he'd done.
 
He had known from a very young age that he was different. The ears, eyes, hair, claws and teeth were obvious indicators, but he also found out that he was a lot stronger than everyone else. He was powerful enough to overcome a full grown man! His skin was like a durable, flexible plate of armor for him.
 
He couldn't understand how humans could get scratched so easily by falling or tripping, or why they cried. It didn't hurt that much! Countless times simple playing had turned dangerous by him. He was rough and couldn't help it if humans were so incredibly fragile! He'd eventually gotten used to playing by himself. He found nature much more interesting than those weakling humans. Well excluding his mother, he loved her more than tag and rainy days put together! She had been his entire world.
 
But now, Kagome was and he knew well enough that his actions the day before were wrong. Inuyasha now had to make up for his violent behavior, `But how?' He wondered. He looked all around, wondering what he could do.
 
Then it hit him like a falling tree, the monk! He made his way to the poor injured man, who looked nervous. Inuyasha's ears were flat against his head and he ambled closer to the houshi and motioned with one finger for him to lower his head. An air of anticipation and anxiety hung over the Inu-tachi as Miroku lowered his swollen head.
 
Inuyasha grabbed his head lowering it to his height. Everybody gasped and turned a light bluish color as they saw.
 
`He-he's LICKING him?!' Kagome shuddered mentally as she saw the little hanyou lick the monk's wounds. Miroku hadn't expected this at all! But the feeling of the boy's tongue on his cheek was oddly comforting. He no longer hurt; instead, it tingled oddly as if someone had rubbed mint on the skin where he was licking. Inuyasha drew away after a couple seconds, trying to get the coppery taste of human blood from his mouth.
 
Miroku rubbed the spot and to his complete surprise, it was healed! “Amazing!” Miroku exclaimed, his voice was a bit odd, though Inuyasha could heal his cheek; there was nothing he could do about his nose. Sango and Kagome came over the check out their hanyou's handiwork.
 
“I never knew you could do this!” Kagome said with admiration. She had scolded him every time he had licked his wounds, saying he would infect them, but if she had know his licking could do this, she wouldn't have stopped him!
 
Sango knew Inu-youkai saliva had healing powers but she never knew it was that effective. Shippo, meanwhile, knew already how effective it was; all demons had their weird traits. Foxes were mischievous and cunning and could perform magic naturally, while Dog demons were unwaveringly loyal, strong and they had some healing powers, though they weren't very useful for deep or internal wounds.
 
Inuyasha blushed in embarrassment and looked at Miroku, saying, “Sorry…” softly. Miroku only smiled and patted him on the head, it was hard to believe their Inuyasha used to be polite and mild mannered. In his normal form he was rude, crude and oh so violent.
 
“It's okay; I know Kagome is off limits.” He grinned. Inuyasha looked at him confused, `what about the taijiya?'
 
“WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN HOUSHI?! WHY JUST KAGOME?!” Sango roared, extremely livid.
 
“N-n-nothing!!” Miroku stuttered helplessly.
 
A chill ran down all the males' spines as Sango stamped toward the amorous monk… Sango + Anger = VERY, VERY, VERY BAD… Inuyasha retreated behind Kagome for protection and Shippo did likewise. Inuyasha winced at every blow the houshi took.
 
CRACK! SNAP! SLAP!
 
Inuyasha looked toward Shippo as they heard Miroku's cries of agony. “Jeeze! And they said I was extreme!” Inuyasha shuddered. Shippo and Kagome both gave him a knowing look.
 
By the time Sango was done, Miroku was unconscious and bleeding. She was still red in the face as she dusted off her hands.
 
“I guess domestic violence does solve everything…” Kagome muttered as the two boys sniggered at her comment.
 
They had packed up by midday and continued Inuyasha on Kagome's shoulders, Shippo on Kirara, joined by comatose Miroku, and Sango walked by herself. Nobody dared go near that for a while.
 
By nightfall things had cooled down and Miroku had awakened though woozy and with slight memory loss.
 
“Hey, look a village!” Kagome smiled, `a soft bed! A hot bath!' As did the others. The village was larger than the normal one, a wealthy village, most likely thriving through traders of the region.
 
Yet, as they neared the village, Inuyasha shifted uncomfortably. All he could think was `… Humans…Lots of um…'
 
A/N: Well, sorry bout the small cliffy. You know where the art is, so look if ya want. Please review!