InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Back to Start ❯ Mid-day ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Mid-day
Seriously, Inuyasha couldn't understand why or how anyone could stand an hour of rambling over proper nouns and adjectives!!! His reading studies with his mother had been tedious, but at least it was more fun than this monotonous torture! In fact he had much enjoyed sitting in his mother's lap, his hand in hers, holding the brush as she stoked the kanji on the page in her magnificent writing, letting him try the same.
How had education gone so down hill that it had turned into pure and unadulterated hell? He gave a dog's equivalent of a sigh and snuggled deeper into Kagome's foot, causing her to give a small squeal of surprise. Thankfully for her, nobody heard it.
Suddenly a loud flat buzz blared throughout the school. Inuyasha cringed as the sound hurt his ears. Kagome was relived that it was break time. She made her way to the courtyard, filled with the hundreds of students in the school. Some how she made it through the crowd and sat in the shade of a large tree. A crowd quickly gathered of people who passed by and were intent on petting the poor hanyou.
Inuyasha felt the attention was bittersweet. He was so overpowered by all the strong scents of perfumes form the girls that he had no will to fight, but more to stay conscious.
After the excitement over a puppy was somewhat over, he got up and began to sniff the tree behind Kagome. Her eyes widened as she realized what he was about to do. Before she could stop him, he began doing his business marking the tree.
“No! Inuyasha! Eww!” She squealed as many other spectators said the same. Once done he only sat and looked at her with confusion. What was wrong with marking a tree? How else would anyone know he'd been there? He only shrugged and lay back down in her lap.
Kagome gulped and flushed, embarrassed enough for the both of them. How could he act so shameless? She scooted her bag closer to her and slung it around her shoulder, raising form her spot. Inuyasha quickly moved out from her lap and stood near her. She knew class would start soon.
Inuyasha loyally followed her to her next destination, P.E. Kagome groaned as she grudgingly trudged toward the gym. Inuyasha sensed the change in her aura and his ears seemed to droop. If Kagome didn't like this next class, he probably wouldn't either.
All the people in the period with her all hurried into the gym as the bell blared. A midsized woman with short black hair entered, dressed in the school colors, green, white and black. She had a whistle around her neck and a clipboard in hand. As she passed by the students lined up, she made marks on her paper. She stopped at Kagome, looking at her and puppy Inuyasha.
“Kagome Higurashi…” She said with distaste. “Well, well, you certainly don't look like a sickly young girl with your nice tan and bright face, so can you explain you absences? Your mother may be stupid enough to fall for your excuses but I'm no fool.” The teacher sneered.
Inuyasha began to growl loudly. “But, Ms. Nejiru!-”
She was cut off by her proctor. “And what is that mongrel doing in here? Don't tell me, it's for your health…
Kagome's brows furrowed in anxiety, she couldn't exactly tell her that she was missing school to save the world. Inuyasha's growls grew even louder at the word mongrel. How dare she call him that! He was a pure bred Akita! Well, excluding the human blood.
“Please, let me-”
She was cut off once more by her teacher. “Get dressed!” She shouted and gave her whistle a loud blow. Inuyasha cringed as the acoustics if the room enhanced the grating sound.
All of the students quickly made their way to their respective locker rooms. Kagome hurried to her locker and quickly began searching her mind for her combination. “Oh! What was it again? I was so easy! Argghhh.” She moaned as she turned the lock. Inuyasha sat beside her with a bemused look.
The locker room smelled of sweat and mildew, not a particularly beautiful aroma. Not only that, but it was cramped, painfully so. It was a fulltime job just trying not to get stepped on! Finally, her memory came through. “30-25-0!” She said aloud happily.
Every head turned in the room and she was met with some looks of `Cra-zy,' while Inuyasha could swear he saw some people writing it down. She blushed and began changing, hoping to dear god that Inuyasha wouldn't remember being in a room full of thirty teenage girls changing when he got back to normal.
Inuyasha didn't really care, although he did notice that all the girls were wearing those odd pieces of clothing around their chests. As soon as she was ready, she followed the others out back into the gym, where they all got back into their lines.
Inuyasha couldn't understand this ritual. Why in the world did they have to do so much in such a small amount of time? It was almost cruel.
The teacher came in and said very loudly, “Today's a fitness day!” This was met with less than enthusiasm. “Oh, can it! Get started once the music starts! Jog!” Ms. Nejiru commanded as she flipped a switch. Loud music blared from big black speakers around the room. Inuyasha began trotting by Kagome as she began running. He loved running, but then again he had more stamina then most humans.
He tried to understand the music, but it seemed to be in a different language. However, he liked the beat, which was hard and fast. Inuyasha watched as the coach gave orders, making them do sprints, grapevines and skips. Kagome was doing pretty well to keep up, which was just another eyebrow raised for the Ms. Nejiru.
By the time they were done, everyone, but Inuyasha and the teacher were panting and red. “Go change!” Was heard and they all headed back to the locker room to repeat what they'd done just less than an hour ago.
As they waited to get to their next class after changing, Kagome picked up Inuyasha, cuddling him, hoping some of his energy would transfer to her. Next was science. And just her luck, they were dissecting frogs.
She gulped and hoped she would be able to go through with it as she sat at her table, the unconscious frog splayed before her. `C'mon girl, you can do this, just imagine its Jaken!' She willed silently.
Inuyasha hopped up onto the chair next to her, sniffing the poor frog. It was still alive, he noticed and he saw the teacher begin to tell them how to cut with the scalpel. His little puppy maw dropped as he realized that Kagome was going to kill the poor thing. Without a second thought, Inuyasha scrambled onto the table and grabbed the creature in his mouth, then hopping off the table.
“Inuyasha! Come back here! I need that!” Kagome pleaded as she chased him to the back of the room.
“Get a hold of your animal!” The teacher demanded as he tried to help others in the class. The entire class was giggling at her comical attempts to get a hold on Inuyasha. Kagome frantically tried to catch the dog-boy, finally grabbing his scruff and pinning him down and prying the frog from his mouth, which had died anyway from the shock of being carried at high speed around a classroom in a dog's mouth.
By the end of the period, she'd fully examined the insides of an amphibian and slightly wished Inuyasha had gotten away. `Finally! Lunch time' she thought with short lived relief.
A/N:I thought this one was particularly funny. I had lots of fun making the people in the back and Kagome's face for the chapter art. Oh and the next chapter will be longer. I promise.